Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    How do I keep my pants up. :confuse:
    Loren
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    But, the long-term reliability of Nissan's CVT is still unknown. How many Murano's or other Nissan products are now over 100K miles without any transmission repairs. Just wondering . . ., as I haven't had a normal automatic transmission design fail at less that 165K miles.
    Ummm, I see no photo. If you are talking 2008 Galant, it looks pretty good, sort of like the New Malibu. It's good. When the Galant '08 style was a brand new style, some years back no doubt, I kinda thought it had that little something extra to it over the average mid-sized car style. Not too bad. The look still holds up well.
    L
    Oh yeah, that's a belt? Test drove a CVT. Didn't do much for me, but then again I like the feel of gears kickin' in. The golf cart feel is something one could live with, but not live for.
    L
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I don't have links, but i've seen stuff out there showing that nissan has less warranty claims for their CVT's than they had with autos. And a good deal of the ones that need fixed/replaced are because people put regualr dextron II in them. But, most of the time a CVT will be cheaper and easier to fix than a traditional auto. It just has less parts and simpler design. Thats the beuaty of them. take all those gears, gear clusters and other parts of a the auto and replace it with 2 pullies and a belt.
    Its a belt, but not a toothed rubber belt like a timing belt though. and going back to the whole belt/chain thing, even though it only cost me $400 to replace the belt on my honda, once again, its $400 I didn't have to spend on any of my nissans. ;) that puts the total money spent on the 5 year honda at $800, and a total cost of $0 for the 9yr old nissan.

And there's no golf cart feel on the xtronic, at least on the altima. I'm pretty sure the vesa and sentra have a little bit of that going on, but the altima uses a newer and better design.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I don't have a problem with the timing belt on my 03 V6 Accord. When I get to 105k miles, I'll change it. If you have a problem with it, don't buy one. Both of my Accords have had timing belts, and they haven't been a problem. I don't see many other Accord owners complaining about them either. I trust Honda knows what they are doing.
    so defensive, relax elroy. I never said they were bad, and even implied the replacement cost was acceptable.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Trust me, i'll be complaining when that $500+ belt replacement rolls around in 3,000 miles on my 1996. Ugh... :sick:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The car back of the front end is pleasant looking, in a generic way. Quite sleek. The front end? I can imagine there are some people who think it's attractive. Just not me. If it were the greatest mid-sized car available, I wouldn't buy it based on that front-end alone. I call that the "Aztec Factor" in my car buying process.
  • tgkoenigseggtgkoenigsegg Member Posts: 52
    This looks like a blend between Mercury Montego and Mercedes S-Class
    Well I didn't care for the CVT tranny, and the emergency brake placement looked to me closer to where I would expect a clutch to be only higher up. Wonder if it comes in contact with the legs in an accident. Hate those foot brakes for the emergency brake. The push button starter was kinda a cute like thing. Overall, it did not feel as solid and quiet built to me as did the Accord and Aura when test driven. To each his own, I guess. The looks of the car is great. And the power is great for the i4 engine. I see you have a Nissan of nine years without any repairs needed. That is a record, and I bet you are happy indeed with that - I would be. My Dad had a '91 Camry that way. Never a day back at the dealership. Those are rare finds, even in the Japanese car lines. While $800 in five years is money spent, it pales in comparison to the days of domestics woes in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's where in three to five years some cars were ready to be retired. Trust me, been there, had it happen. And in nine years, I would be surprised to see them in any shape at all which I would feel comfortable driving one more than a across town.
    L
    I have to agree with you, the emergency brake is in about the worst place possible. I can't help but wonder what they were thinking with that.

And yea, I know there is some luck involved with 9 years and no repairs. But I still think its a minimal amount of luck. I've always contributed the longevity of my vehicles more to the fact I take very good care of them than anything else. The honda has been just as good. Most of the 800 was for the timing belt, which is maintanence, not repair. So, Its more like $300 over 5 years. Thats why I always qualified my posts with winks, or intentional statements that the bill was small or expected. Just tounge in cheek humor. The timing belt is a great example. Even though it cost 400 or so to replace, i don't mind because it does have an advantage over the chain. If the chain in either of my nissans should go, and both being DOHC engines, I'd be lucky to get it fixed for less than 1500. looking at it that way, the 400 once, twice, maybe three times over the life of the car ain't so bad. :P
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    No, destination should be included in the sales price you pay.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    have my doubts about Mitsubishi being around the USA much longer. I live on the Central Coast of California, a virtual import car zone, and there is not a dealership within a 135 miles of where I live.

The ones in SLO, Santa Maria, and Ventura/Oxnard don't count?
    None in Santa Maria, and None in San Luis Obispo. There was one for a brief couple of years in Atascadero. Yes, there is one in Oxnard. This means they are likely on the way out. That is the way I view it anyway. I guess Mitsubishi could run their own dealerships or something. There may be a dealership in Seaside too. Alas, all too few for an import kinda state, I'd say. If there are listings for San Luis Obispo, those date back over two years ago, as does any listing for Santa Maria, as in Ford and Mitsubishi. Let's see, it was Valley Mazda in SLO and they are gone completely -- Mitsubishi is gone due to no sales and later on the Mazda closed when the owner retired. Oxnard? Is that Todey's or Toady's or something like that? I've been there some years ago.
    L
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Nope - 'fraid not. I worked for GM for 9 years, and, drove Olds for years until they became clone cars. My son drives a restored 1968 Olds Cutlass convertible with a 425 Olds big block in it.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    Depends on where you live I geuss... in my area, it's not uncommon for the Mazda6 to be advertised for 5 or 6k off of msrp after all rebates. I've actually seen them go as low as 7k off! If you can wait until fall (like near thanksgiving) when car sales typically fall off, you can probably get an even better deal. But regardless, with all the concern about the economy b/c of the mortgage issues, car sales have not been all that great which should be an advantage for you. Go to the library on a Sat or Sunday and check out all the newspapers within a 150 mile area, photocopy the best ones and take it to your dealership. Mazda also has a way to check inventory in your area, so send emails to their sales dept and see what kind of deals you can get that way. Regardless good luck and do not be intimidated! You've got the money that they want...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    If not for the truck-like grill, that Galant would look pretty good to me. As someone else said, I'm sure it will appeal to some...just as the Chysler 300, with it's truck-like grill does.
  • volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    My car's in the shop right now, and I'll probably pay almost $500 for a 90K mile service consisting of flushing fluids and staring at lots of parts. If that's the scale these days, then $1K probably isn't a difficult repair cost threshold to meet.

I'm speculating...I drive an Accord, so I don't actually know what repairs cost. :P (KIDDING, just had to throw that in)
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Metal suspenders? (Timing chain type) ;)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Looks "pissed off" in the front clip--road rage anyone?-- but a definite improvement on the present somewhat disjointed platform. I had a number of Mitsu/Chrysler captive imports in the seventies and eighties (remember the Arrow?) that I rather liked. Would like to see Mitsubishi come back but they need to refine their business plan. Existing cars seem to really come up short in interior fit and finish, not only to the front-line Japanese cars but to the Koreans as well.
    I drive an Accord, so I don't actually know what repairs cost.

That's cuz they put everything into the maintenance schedule...90K mi maintenance: rebuild engine, replace transmission, ... ;):D

But, seriously as someone else had mentioned an example is timing belt...replacement is maintenance on an Accord, but a repair on Ford's 2.0 Zetec engine in the Contour, etc.
    The family car was the '68 Cutlass way back when, then replaced with the '72 Cutlass -- very nice looking car. Sorry, but Olds. kinda lost it after the early 70's and was not so hot late 70's on. That said, a last of Cutlass 442 would be nice to have. The classic look of '68 was that Toronado. Most of the FWD stuff from GM though is lacking for around three decades. Looks wise, the last Aurora is pretty sharp, and better looking than the current Impala. And yes, I agree the clone car era is pretty sad. Or are we still in the clone era? Oh well, parts is parts. ;)
    L
  • ridezx11ridezx11 Member Posts: 6
    I have owned 4 Nissans in the past 18 years with 3 of them using timing belts and never had any problems with the timing belts. Cost of replacement was not a problem since I did the replacement myself(More a pain of taking up time I could be doing something else).
    A couple months after I bought my 2002 Maxima a friend had the timing chain tensioner break on his 1998 Maxima leading to a costly repair. The car had a little over 60000 miles on it and was out of warranty. Neither system is foolproof but belts tend to be quieter and cheaper to build. All things considered I would rather have a chain simply since I usually keep my cars for a long time and it is 1 less maintainence item to deal with, although a chain can stretch and need replacement after many years of use.
    That Contour reminds me of my first new car, an Opel Manta Rallye. Well, with a couple extra doors on it, I may add. As I recall the crash testing did not go well for that car. Then the car sales crashed. It just never flew. I wish they would make another car sort of like that Opel I had. Nice little coupe. Today one has a mostly choices of designs which look similar to each other, with too tall doors, and huge headlamps, which evidently is the replacement for chrome and other accents of the cars of yesteryears. I suspect within the decades time, new car door will no longer use windows, and you will peer through a submarine scope to see around. And those trunks will be up to roof top heights, so in a way the station wagon returns :P I ended up getting an Accord '07, which may be the last of the reasonable ( a little big ) sized Accords, with tall, but not as tall doors, with large 17" wheels, but not wagon wheel sized, and a bit large eyes, yet not overtaking the entire front just yet, car! When I decide to change this car for something else some day, perhaps it will have to be used. I mean enough already with the little windows and big butts on cars. Those 17" wheels cost enough to replace, I am not looking for a 20" wheel car some day.

As for maintenance, like radiator flush and such, I would take it to an independent which charges much less than the dealership or those specialty experts for Imports, which translates into, let's double the price. A neighbor took a rock in his Volvo headlamp. They replaced the whole thing at something like $450. Dang, that use to be an engine overhaul :D And you can still get a GM 350 engine for what, say $1,750? This was just a crack on the headlamp, not a major incident. Wonder what Volvo charges for a $30 oil change -- $60 - $80 ??? Just nuts.
    L
    I can remember when you could buy one rectangular sealed halogen headlight, and it would fit either your car, or your truck. Those days are long gone, never to return. Now each car has it's own special headlight design :(
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I can remember when you could buy one rectangular sealed halogen headlight, and it would fit either your car, or your truck. Those days are long gone, never to return. Now each car has it's own special headlight design

I have yet to have to replace a lamp assembly on a modern vehicle. Most of those vehicles used a very standardized, very easy to find 9006 bulb, which I have had to replace on every vehicle I've had. The outside housing might be special but the bulb inside is a standard (I know, HID bulbs are different, but that whole system is different).
    $200 to $400 when ya do have to replace the headlights. How about those yellowing or white headlamp covers. I wonder how many can be sanded or polished out to look clear again, or are they just a goner?

What is really interesting is the return of the round. I think we will see this on some retro theme cars. And, call me crazy, some cars just look so good with a simple round headlamp, you wonder if they are just trying too hard these days to bling. Those small round lamps, I take it, did not work out so well for the Integra Acuras?
    L
    If GM comes out with a RWD Pontiac G6 (hopefully will have found a name some day) would you consider it? Will GM ever have a RWD car of similar size of the Epsilon platform? Seems like the last poor-man's RWD car with a four cylinder or a V6 died with the last 240SX Nissan sold in USA. You can buy a Miata or Solstice/Sky, but nothing larger in RWD until you get into the big bucks, as in BMW3. The CTS appears to be as costly now as a Bimmer 3. Would there not be some real demand for RWD cars, which handle well, in the sub $25K range? Would it really cost all that much more? Was there not a time when all domestic cars had RWD? How about a nice little Nova RWD, with some handling to it?

I don't care if a car holds four pieces of luggage, instead of six, or it can in theory seat five, when they really carry four. Heck, give me two doors instead of four, or make both models, just get back to some good old fashion style and handling cars which can spin the rears!
    :shades: Loren
  • frankinbeansfrankinbeans Member Posts: 20
    A water pump is not mechanical? It is software perhaps?

So he has only 6 years and 122k miles to go to make it to that magic 300k and 20 years with virtually no repairs. Good luck to him!

Wow, does someone have a chip on their shoulders. Looks like there are alot replies since I posted and I'm sure someone likely has stated it. The water pump DID NOT need to be replaced. It's just makes sense and is usually much cheaper to get it replaced during the timing belt change. Who knows how long it would have lasted.

If you've read my post. My 64 year old father is not looking to go to 300K. He's just aiming to get to 200K w/o any mechanical breakdowns as you asked prior if anyone knew of someone with alot of mileage with little to no unscheduled mechanical repairs. Everything I listed fit your request other than the 20 year/300K, which I stated at the beginning of my response that it was 16 years old and nearing 200K. Not to take a shot at ya, but maybe you should educate yourself with what's usually scheduled vs unscheduled repairs.

Take it easy bub. It's just car talk. Sorry you had a such a negative experience with whatever make and models you've owned.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    What? Do you live in a different world?

Every manufacturer has a destination charge. The destination charge is a straight pass through with no mark-up for he dealer. It IS a cost of the car.

Since the manufacuters set a flat rate destination charge years ago, they could have built destination into the invoice price, but they chose not to, presumably so they could advertise a lower price.

If you look at an MSRP sitcker, you will see the the total MSRP includes a destination charge.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You didn't say you replaced the water pump proactively, until now. You did say the car had no mechanical repairs, then said the water pump was replaced. Those two things didn't seem to sync, without the additional information you just provided. And the comment about the 6 more years to go etc. was not aimed at you. Sorry if you were offended by that.

As for my negative experiences, as I noted earlier, the only car I've owned in over 30 years that did not fit the "virtually no repairs" rule was a Honda. But I still like Hondas. I just don't like what they cost relative to other alternatives.
    If GM comes out with a RWD Pontiac G6 (hopefully will have found a name some day) would you consider it?

No, I would not consider any RWD car. It is just much easier to have FWD, when you live where there is winter.

Would there not be some real demand for RWD cars,

Not from me, and I am guessing there would be little demand in the snow belt.

I don't feel it is needed, but most people around here love AWD/4WD.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    an Opel Manta Rallye........wish they would make another car sort of like that Opel I had.
    a man with some taste! had one myself - and ran autocross with it! Opels got a bad name from some 1100cc tin cans (which I also owned) and by the time they got around (72?)to the 1900 (and a tight handling good lookingt sedan) you are talking about. Buick couldnt sell enough of them and as Opel prices went up and up becuase of the mark to dollar exchange rate were forced then to source the car out of Japan (Isuzu?) by the mid 70s - which were even worse POSs than even the Toyotas and Datsuns (Nissans) of he mid and late 60s.
    Opel is still a respected brand in Europe, and has the best selling car over there, the upcoming replacement for the Saturn Ion is that car - unfortunately saddled with the Ecotec 4). We also owe the Aura and the CTS to some of that German engineering.
    Headlights- here's one for you - own a HID equipped Avalon, got into a really minor fender bender, headlight lense had a scratch in it - headlight only available as an 'assembly' - cost to replace $1100.00 plus labor!
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I believe it was noted previouisly that we should expect 270 HP from the new Mazda6 3.7L V6. See below. Should be quite a performer if it is in fact lighter than the previousl gen. Depending on torque, I wouldn't be surprised to see high 5s in the 0-60 test if all else holds true.

Base engine: 2.5l I4 - 190-200hp
    Optional Engine: 3.7l PFI V6 - 280hp
    AWD optional
    My original post/reply was directed at comments by a 2007 Sonata owner who felt his car didn't have enough power. He lives in western Pa which is mountainous and I noted we traveled to western Pa using rented Optima's and Sonata's at various times recently. Some here may remember that at the time I had sort of an informal comparison between the Optima and a Ford Fusion (both 4cyl. automatics) that I subsuquently rented after turning in the Optima.. Anyhow I commented that I felt the Optima/Sonata both felt sufficiently powerful even with 4 passengers and their luggage climbing the Allegheny mountains. Both felt, dare I say...snappy...from a dead stop.

I too live in Western PA and agree that it probably felt snappy on the highways as pretty much anything built after MY2000 will. However, I would argue that it felt snappy if you tried starting off on one of our many very steep hills that have either stop signs or stop lights in the middle of them. Chevrolet is the #1 selling brand in the Pittsburgh area mostly, and this is IMO, due to the availability of a V6 in almost everything they sell. Lots of Impalas and Montes around here. I myself always opt for at least a V6 anymore after thoroughly struggling with a Civic and ZX2 on the hills for a few years. Not much choice in that class though. ;)

I just got back from the OBX today and did notice an Optima or two (may have been the same one, both I4s) flying by on the PA turnpike. They looked perfectly at home at a high speed and I have no doubt they are perfectly adequate for most people. I am not one of them due to the area in which I live however.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Have an 07 Optima and an 05 Maxx. The Optima kicks from fifth all the way down to third on lots of grades. The Maxx gets slightly better mileage even with the four speed and 3.5 V-6. The Optima is considerably smoother, however. Hyunkia engines are notoriously tight and my suspicion is things will get better than 30 on the highway once things loosen up--5000 on my wife's car right now.

If you can stand the high rpm's on grades the Optima does have adequate power. If I use the manual shift, it doesn't kick down and still seems to make grades-- the Ozarks aren't the Allegheny's however.
  • volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    as someone else had mentioned an example is timing belt...replacement is maintenance on an Accord, but a repair on Ford's 2.0 Zetec engine in the Contour, etc.

That's a fair point, but I'm willing to pay a certain amount for regular service that avoids future roadside situations. The avoidance of unanticipated disruptions is worth some extra money.

I do have to wonder, though, to what extent the recommended maintenance periods are based on actual need vs. being a profit center for the dealerships' service areas. The 90K check was invoiced at 5 labor hours, cost ~$500, and the list of what they actually did isn't that long...lots of "inspect this, check that." Plus, it was out in less than 3 hours...did they really have multiple people working on it? I had it done to protect my extended warranty, but I'll be very tempted to cut back on the full packages once that's no longer an issue.

What do you guys do for service: follow the recommendations or pick and choose? Do you handle older cars differently than newer ones?
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Chevrolet is the #1 selling brand in the Pittsburgh area mostly, and this is IMO, due to the availability of a V6 in almost everything they sell. Lots of Impalas and Montes around here. I myself always opt for at least a V6 anymore after thoroughly struggling with a Civic and ZX2 on the hills for a few years.

I live in Southern California which has mountains all over the place (a lot bigger than in Pittsburgh). The CITY of Los Angeles has numerous passes and hills. There are plenty of Civics, Corollas, and Mazda 3's here.

I suspect the Pittsburgh story is more that it's in the traditional midwest rust belt and people just buy more American Cars. (Not slamming Pittsburgh, I've been there many times and it is a beautiful city in its hill and river setting.)
    But, seriously as someone else had mentioned an example is timing belt...replacement is maintenance on an Accord, but a repair on Ford's 2.0 Zetec engine in the Contour, etc.

It doesn't really matter if you call it maintenance or a repair, warranty is not going to cover either one. But if Ford does not have a set time to change the timing belt, is it supposed to last the life of the engine? I guess Ford thinks other engine parts are likely to fail before the belt.
    $1,100 + labor for a headlamp? Around '70 or maybe it was '71, I bought a used Mustang 289 for that -- yeap, it was $1,100. Of course the brand new Opel Manta Rallye was but $3,150 out the door price! Things have sure changed. I got a bad engine in my Opel, or I would have kept it longer. And a warranty in those days was 12 months, i think. Always thought the Datsun 510's to be a bargain. Owned a used one back in say '82-'83-maybe into '84 which was perhaps a couple years old car when purchased, and traded it in for a loss of $800 in two or was it two and a half years. Of course the Mustang I bought new ended up in the repair shop, at which point I kicked myself for turning in the trouble free car. But alas, those 510's had such thin steel, they did not seem too safe, and they made the seats flat, so the buns went numb on longer trips.

I have seen the new baby Volvo, which is very nice little thing. This one happens to be something like $27K, which is so over the top price wise. Isn't the new Astra something like $16K? I can possibly see it as $21K base then $23K loaded, but that is a stretch. Looks like a neat little skateboard, many I think will see it as an $18K to $21K car, even with all that HP. Or is that HP all so much fun for the little guy, it is worth the price? Guess the numbers sold will tell the tale. - L
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    All this fancy technology permeating all new cars means one thing when replacement is necessary: big time money. Has anyone priced the OEM catalytic converter that's part of the exhaust manifold down pipe that most new cars have? Mucho more expensive that the separate CAT that was downstream in the exhaust system. Over on the Honda Accord boards, everyone is beating the "LED Tail Light" drum - what until you have to replace those! (Yes, LEDs do burn out). Give me an old-fashioned round halogen incandescent headlight that you can replace for $7, and a standard lamp for the tail light any day. Let's face it, progress, and cutting-edge technology, equate to much higher repair costs.
    I live in Southern California which has mountains all over the place (a lot bigger than in Pittsburgh). The CITY of Los Angeles has numerous passes and hills. There are plenty of Civics, Corollas, and Mazda 3's here.

I suspect the Pittsburgh story is more that it's in the traditional midwest rust belt and people just buy more American Cars. (Not slamming Pittsburgh, I've been there many times and it is a beautiful city in its hill and river setting.)

There are a lot of small cars here too because those hills make the gas disappear faster as you well know. I think the tendency towards the larger Chevys though is, like I said, the readily available V6, and the weight. The heavier cars tend to do better in the snow (maybe not for stopping though :surprise: ) plus you need something big to take tailgaiting when the Steelers are in town. ;)
    LED are bright, illuminate faster, and should last ten years,or more. Looks OK to me. Yeah, lots of things in my new car look like expensive repairs some day. If I keep it longer than power-train period, say as a 7 to 10 yr car, perhaps it may be the first time I ever buy a warranty. Still thinking of buying a bit more simple car next time - something of a modern day classic perhaps, just pre-highest tech period. Just thinking about that. Right not, as in the next car purchase may be the sports car.

At one time I was considering a larger car than my Accord for the everyday car. I am now of the belief this '07 is large, as in large enough, and the next full time car will be no larger or smaller. Small is just so user friendly in all so many ways. As for high tech items which are a bit of a thorn with me, right now I am thinking those thick A pillars for the air bags. So far, anti-lock brakes, stability control, and the rest seem like a good thing, though replacing / repairing is not gonna be all that cheap no doubt. I still kinda miss seeing a hood out front. Today's cars seem to have little to no visible hood out there. This is one thing I would look for in finding a modern day classic. Oh yeah, another thing is a good old fashion key instead of those $200 + keys.
    All in all though, the modern day car has safety, speed, gas mileage, ride, cornering, comfort and the like, which exceeds just about anything made before it. Not to say I don't appreciate the simple life. My Corolla and Miata had roll up windows, and manual door locks, so how simple is that. A key for those two, cost under a $1. each.
    You pay to play, as the gals in Vegas say. :shades: And modern has its play for more pay benefits.
    L
    If you can stand the high rpm's on grades the Optima does have adequate power.

That's the part I hate. The Civic we had needed wound so high on the hills that I got dirty looks because it sounded like I was going too fast. I haven't driven a Honda lately but I understand they've alleviated some of that need for high RPM to produce the modest amount of power it takes to get you up hills and grades. It sounds like you are telling me Hyunkia hasn't come that far yet?
    It doesn't really matter if you call it maintenance or a repair...

No, it really doesn't...except for "talk" here and it also might matter on things like CR surveys.

But if Ford does not have a set time to change the timing belt, is it supposed to last the life of the engine?

Yes, "life of the engine" is what they said when I asked. I believe typically they would last over 100,000 miles. It was not an interference engine, so you could choose to leave it until it breaks or treat it as a maintenance item and replace it proactively.
    Ah, the sweet sounds of a smooth running, high revving engine = no problem. Some old thrashing i4, or V6 engine, is pretty bad. For those not loving the sound of an engine, the old OHC engines of the domestics is the better choice, with torque and HP at lower RPM. Some of those once up in the higher speeds though, as in near the top of the revvs just sound too thrashy to me.
    L
    What do you guys do for service: follow the recommendations or pick and choose?

I follow the manufacturer's schedule not the dealers recomendations. I never ask for things like "90,000 mile service"...well, I did make that mistake once.
    Some of those once up in the higher speeds though, as in near the top of the revvs just sound too thrashy to me.

Ah, but since the power comes in at a much lower RPM you don't have to wind it up. Our Explorer sounds awful when revved high but I think I've had to do that maybe twice in the year and a half we've owned it. All the power is down low and you move without drama.

The Mazda6 S I had did need some fairly high revs to get going at a reasonable pace but it was much better than the I4 version of anything I can think of IMO.