Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426

Actually tires play a much more important role than AWD in snow and ice. After all they also help when turning and stopping while AWD only helps while accelerating.

Not being able to accelerate can be a pain, but not being able to stop is what gets you into real trouble.

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,179

Benjaminh said: ....Now, after Ford added a second factory of Fusion production late last year, the challenge will be maintaining prices that Ford said average almost $24,000 a car. Fusion sales fell 8 percent last month.

My car stickered at $24,000. Exactly average price for an average mid size sedan with above average looks I guess.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,420

@brian125

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. My lease is up at the end of September, so I'll most likely be looking to buy (or lease) around Labor Day.

@dudleyr

Yes, you are correct. I made it through many winters in the suburbs of NYC with my trusty, (but never rusty) 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH with FWD, a 5-Speed Manual Transmission, & a set of (minus 1) Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires mounted on 15" steel wheels. 3 1/2 years ago I moved from my condo in Hartsdale, NY (Westchester County) to a house in Stamford, CT. They don't plow as well, they don't salt (people have well water), it is a little colder, we get more snow, have curvier back roads, and we've got a lot more hills... So I switched to AWD and haven't looked back. Regardless of the fact that I have AWD in my car and 4WD in my wife's SUV, I still drive cautiously in the snow & ice. I don't miss storing an extra set of tires & wheels plus having them switched 2x per year.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666

One thing Ford is not going to do is overproduce Fusions and drop the prices/increase incentives to move them. Any excess plant capacity in Flat Rock can be shared with Mustang and upcoming MKS and Taurus.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174

Bradd, Labor Day should be a perfect time to Devore a great lease deal on a 2014. I may be in the market around the same time, since that us right after when my daughter leaves to start college and I expect to have my driveway clearance sale.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

@stickguy

We can do a double CCBA punch & buy together:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

@akirby said: One thing Ford is not going to do is overproduce Fusions and drop the prices/increase incentives to move them. Any excess plant capacity in Flat Rock can be shared with Mustang and upcoming MKS and Taurus.

I sat in a Taurus SEL and ate my lunch at the auto show. Why? Because it was big enough for me and just as much that no one else wanted to. That's when I examined the center stack and found hugely misaligned panels, especially the nav screen, which had 1/4 to 1/2 inch gaps behind it just like C/D said. The interior materials were OK, but no where near as nice as my $10,000 less expensive Optima, or your $10,000 less Fusion.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited February 7

@dudleyr We are sold on AWD. It's there when you need it all year long. No drama, no trying to figure out when should I put on the winter tires or take them off. It can maximize the tires that are mounted on the vehicle. I tried to spin the Edge a bit in a parking lot. It just cut the power to keep it going in a circle. It won't help you stop, but you have to getting moving first, then you worry about stopping. :D

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426

4 snows get me going just fine. I enjoy not worrying about stopping - except for the guy behind me that can't stop. ;)

@explorerx4

That's the perfect way to describe it. The AWD systems now are quite sophisticated and very transparent. 355 days a year my BMW's balanced, RWD chassis help it perform as advertised. When the weather turns white, I usually leave before the roads are plowed. I've got to open up at 7:30 AM.

Before so many manufacturers offered SUVs and cars with AWD, pick a house somewhere in New England. At least 1 car was a Jeep, Subaru, or Audi.

I loved my Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. Great handling in the snow. When I was in high school

I was handed down my fathers 1978 Plymouth Trail-Duster 4x4 white with red and orange stripes, 440 V8, and as always....dual exhaust. The top could be removed and driven as a convertible. Great first car!

Got the Fusion back today.New rear bumper looks good, maybe even fits better the one before. Supposed to drive to Ohio next weekend. Am hoping to take the Fusion, but it may depend on the weather.

@cski said: 1978 Plymouth Trail-Duster.

Those kind of rare. Although pretty much the same thing, let me see, should i buy a Dodge Ramcharger or Plymouth Trail Duster? :o

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422

I've only seen 2 in my entire automotive career. Well, two that I've noticed.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680

Ford, like everyone else, has more capacity to build their midsize car than they have sales. Story from Wards auto about how both the Flat Rock and Mexico factories building the Fusion are taking down time to reduce inventories:

http://wardsauto.com/plants-amp-production/flat-rock-get-back-speed-ford-exec-says

....Ford shifted some Fusion production to Flat Rock in August to meet escalating demand for the sedan and soak up unused capacity at the facility. Previously, the car was built solely in Mexico.

But since then, Fusion sales have cooled, with inventories rising to a 97-day supply at the end of January, despite two weeks of downtime at the Flat Rock plant during the month and 3-weeks of shutdowns at the Hermosillo, Mexico, facility so far this year.

Flat Rock utilization ran at only 43% in 2013, but a WardsAuto forecast calls for that to increase to 68% with Fusion added to the mix for the full year....

“There's more capacity (for) Fusion than there are sales right now...."

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,427
    edited February 10

Speaking of Ford...

I always thought Ford was making better vehicles than GM.. Is it possible Gm has caught up?

Here in NYC/ 5 boro's. Our Sanatation dept has its offical car the Fusion. All white with orange and blue markings . I see alot of them thru the city. Mostly supervisor and bosses have them to check up on our garbage pick up and problems .

Ford has had a good run with there Crown vic's as yellow cabs in NYC for many years. Seems like as these cars get older they are being replaced with more Toyota hybrids, and Nissans.

Hey Gm Your no where to be found here????? Are you not in the car business..

Nissan new nv200 is the new mini/ box cab truck that has been approved to be one of the offical vehicles for city cabs. 12 thousand units will be made to start up production.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

GM is getting much better. The new Impala is impressive. But it seems to be hit and miss - some great products, some not so great. And still no regular hybrids from GM - just the Volt and ELR.

Ford has done more of an across the board improvement on almost every vehicle but they seem to be having more engineering and parts issues now although I think that's a product of an accelerated development cycle to get to common global platforms and ecoboost engines for CAFE compliance.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682

Depends what you mean by a "regular" hybrid. GM has been building "mild" hybrids for years, including the Malibu. Call these "eAssist" I think. Not the same kind of hybrid system as used by the likes of Toyota or Ford, but gas engine with some electric assist. Also they now have the Spark EV, which may be the lowest-priced EV in the US.

@brian125 said: Speaking of Ford...

Lat time I was in Manhattan, I saw plenty of Hybrid police cars, Altima's, Camry's and Fusion's.

@backy said: Depends what you mean by a "regular" hybrid. GM has been building "mild" hybrids for years, including the Malibu. Call these "eAssist" I think. Not the same kind of hybrid system as used by the likes of Toyota or Ford, but gas engine with some electric assist.

I mean real hybrids, not just start/stop eassist mild hybrids that only get a few mpg better than the regular versions.