Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    That might actually be real wood instead of plood - hard to tell. I'm sure if it's offered on the Fusion there will be alternatives just like today with the piano black and carbon fiber.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I would like the CF trim more than the wood, or a flat aluminum look maybe. I don't think there is anything about that dash that looks cheap though. Although this particular configuration doesn't appeal to me, I like how Ford continues to reinvent the corporate instrument cluster to tailor it for each vehicle where they use it.
    I have to say I don't give a rats tushie about the shifter being gated or not. Either its a manual trans with a clutch pedal or its not, and if its not, then I'm not interested anyway.
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    apparently i am not one of the enlightened ones, because i don't see what's so special about honda interiors. my inlaws have a civic hybrid and a new CRV, and neither of them impress me too much. I personally find the infiniti G35's new interior to be absolutely beautiful (but that's not a car for this topic...oops!)

while the styling of the ford flex interior is not my cup of tea, i find it rather ignorant to be criticizing the interior to be full of cheap plastics when you really can't tell from one photo.

i can see why honda is so popular, but it gets kind of annoying when fans of a certain type of vehicle seem to think they are something special because they can see "high quality" that apparently average consumers cant.

bottom line - to each their own.

my two cents, as always...

-thene :sick:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    "What would you guys think if the 09 Fusion interior looked like this (with ambient lighting)?"

I never used to care for wood trim (imatation or not) years ago, but now I see it on many cars and sort of like it.

The Ford oval is not to appealing anymore, or ever was, sorry to say. I have heard that younger buyers are not to thrilled with it either.

I could do without the cup holders, I don't believe food or drinks belong in a car.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    EPA test of AWD Fusion is now at 17 mpg. Without AWD the V6 is at 18 mpg, which is exactly the same as the Accord. The Fusion AWD costs you about 1 mpg city and 2 highway, I think this is a pretty typical AWD penalty.

Good post Jeffy. In retrospect, we should have bought an SEL I4 Fusion but this $27,105 MSRP baby was on the lot, in stock and had everything that we wanted on it.

The difference between 14.8 mpg and 17 mpg is about $252 a year, based on 10,000 miles driven, our average, with gasoline at $3 a gallon.

With the exception of the poor gasoline mileage, our Fusion is an exceptionally fine mid-size sedan. We enjoy it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    excellent report, thanks for that. That made for interesting reading because along with the Optima rental you also included some Fusion news in there, having driven both of them within a short span of time. Excellent.

I'm not surprised by your report on each rig's engines and their sounds at idle. The Optima's engine must have some sound similarities to my Sportage 4X4's. There were times sitting in the Sportage at idle that I truly did not know if my motor was running or not, it purred so quietly.

Do report more review news on driving the Fusion, indeed, OK?

I think this comment from targettuning sums some things up nicely.

"Since I have only had the Fusion a day or so I will form other opinions I am sure and I'll let you know. But for now here is one. The Optima is a car where I was sure I was doing about 70 mph only to find I was doing 80 whereas the Fusion is one where I was sure I was doing about 70 mph only to find I was doing 60."

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Well, then I have to say that I don't give a rats tushie about transmission being manual or not. Either it's a great interior with/without a clutch pedal or its not. And if its not then I'm not interested anyway.

Different stroke for different people...
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    I didn't say it had cheap plastic, I said it appeared in the picture to have cheap plastic, there is a difference.

Obviously you can't touch and feel the plastic in a photograph. The photos more recently posted look like graphics and computer generated images moreso than photos, and make the interior look much better. I don't like light grey plastics, lighter gray tends to look cheaper in my eyes.

The main thing that comes to mind now is, who at Ford let Volvo design the interior. :P That interior is VERY VOLVO, Volvoish, Volvoesque! ;)

Volvo's have decent to good interiors, nothing wrong with that, but seems to be a copy of it.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Yes...to a small town north of Cinci. called Fairfield. All turnpike/interstate (Pa Turnpike to I-70 to I-71 and a short drive on what? I-215 maybe or I-245..I forget that one. But I-70 through Pa into Wheeling WV during a week day afternoon can be slow..ish considering on and off local traffic and the speed limit (posted 55mph) which I resolutely ignored as much as possible. Not so on the Saturday return when the road was vacant and I kept up the 75 mph pace..."damn the torpedos, full speed ahead"!!
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    The main thing that comes to mind now is, who at Ford let Volvo design the interior. That interior is VERY VOLVO, Volvoish, Volvoesque!

You hit the nail on the head with that one! Just look at the new S80 and XC70 and you'll see the same interior with a few minor differences.

Compared to current Ford themes like the radio brick and plain buttons and knobs I'd say the Volvo look is a very good thing.
    It seems like the conversation is about the Fusion, the Accord, and the Aura these days and the Camry, Altima, and the other entries are kind of peripheral to the discussion.

I guess its a good sign for Ford and GM they are getting talked about so much.
    I have seen you own a V-6 Fusion and wish you had bought the 4 cylinder version? Well, since I know you have read my observations "Optima vs. Fusion" which are both 4 cylinders I would tell you that if you want a quiet peaceful start from rest at each stop light/stop sign do not wish for that 4cyl. Fusion. While I suppose the induction noise and exhaust snarl are deliberate (they would almost have to be) they are very noticeable and get old fast and I've only had this car two days. By contrast, and as noted in my report, the Hyundai/Kia 4 cylinder is MUCH quieter both at idle and especially on acceleration light and heavy (the Kia makes some induction noise at heavy acceleration) where the Ford sounds like a 70's muscle car with no air cleaner. Well, slightly overstated... but still!!!
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    well there's no altima discussion because all the owners are out enjoying their new rides! when you have an awesome car like that, who wants to spend time talking about it when you could be DRIVING it! ;)

(i don't really know why there's no altima talk - i do see a ton of them here in central CT)

-thene :P
    Aside from my Optima verses Fusion comparison I OWN a 2006 Honda Civic, not in this class I know, but for general comments on Honda interiors and their quality here are mine:
    1. plastics on door interior panels scratch with a "mean look". Ours is criss crossed with fingernail scrapes and scratches gotten (sp?) while groping for the door pull which is unfortunately surrounded with the most fragile "waffle" pattern plastic you could imagine.
    2. Our car has 9K miles and the driver seat bolster has the pattern on the cloth fabric wearing off...going-going-soon to be gone in a 3 X 2 inch patch where our "butts" contact it on entry and exit.
    High quality? nope,don't think so. Our 1995 Stratus seat fabric is not worn @ 187K miles..but it does have a cigarette ash melt mark.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yes and what does it say about the Chysler Sebring (and Dodge ?) that it does not even make the list of models that are supposed to be the subject here?
    I was wondering if someone was going to mention that.
    Yes, but your Status' tranny bit the dust at 187K miles, complete failure.

I'll bet you $1,000 your Honda's tranny lasts longer then that, with regular care and maintenance.
    You should feel and touch an Audi's interior sometime soon, it is a pleasure to be in that car w/o even driving it, which is the best part when you get to it.

Whoever compared the Ford's interior to Audi's just insulted Audi tremendously. Even Volvo's don't quite stand up to Audi's interior, I found Volvo's nice but too "minimalist" in design.
    Yes, but your Status' tranny bit the dust at 187K miles, complete failure.

I'll bet you $1,000 your Honda's tranny lasts longer then that, with regular care and maintenance.

Actually, not so much. Over in the 90-93 Accord repair forums, one of the failures is a "flashing S" which requires a new TCU, and there were a few transmission rebuilds. I don't see this as a negative, of of these cars are on their 2nd or 3rd life, but no different than the Stratus.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Yes and what does it say about the Chysler Sebring (and Dodge ?) that it does not even make the list of models that are supposed to be the subject here

I believe the Sebring's sales are 70% fleet/rental, which kinda means Chrysler's folding this hand.