Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• To sum up what I've heard about the '09:

Initial rumors had both the 5-door and wagon dropped for NA in '09, but lately, there has been talk of the 5-door resurfacing here for the second-gen model.

The 3.5L V6 from Ford will NOT be used (since Ford can't supply enough of them, supposedly), but the 3.7L V6 that's currently in the CX-9 will step in. I've heard that the 3.7L is slightly related to the 3.5L DT, but extensively reworked by Mazda, and I've also heard it's a Mazda-only design. Either way, it'll supposedly be built in Japan. Expect about 265-270 HP.

The 6-speed manual and 6-speed auto is a certainty, and since it's based on the Mondeo platform, so will optional AWD. It may be a modified version of the Haldex with RWD-bias, similar to the SH-AWD that Honda has.

It will be larger, but Mazda claims it'll be lighter than the current car, with better gas mileage.

Of course, this is all speculation, and we'll find out more when press days start at the Frankfurt show on the 11th (hopefully).
  • I knew I should have done the lease on the Accord. Oh well, resale value, right?
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    and 'keeping replacing parts' is exactly where the rub is, isn't it? And maybe the reason why Toyota and Honda products deserve primary consideration in that unlikely event you are going to keep anything that long? Statistics, as a rule, generally don't deceive!
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    And after all that the Malibu still looks better than the Accord. If you havent seen a boxy accord I would check out pics of the 2008 ASAP. All your questions will be answered.

I have seen the Malibu in the flesh but not the Accord. The accord better look WAY better in the flesh if its to match the "on par" Malibu. Styling is subjective but you seem to be in the minority in terms of praising the new Accord design. The Accord has been getting worse looking with each generation for some time now so this is no surprise. They dont want the car to offend an aging buyer base. Makes sense I guess.
    "And maybe the reason why Toyota and Honda products deserve primary consideration in that unlikely event you are going to keep anything that long? "

most people dont and even if I did I dont think Toyota and Honda products deserve "primary" consideration. The pics of the new 6 are one more example of why those two companies have little appeal to me. They put no effort into design and it shows.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    The picture may not do the interior justice, but there's something about it that screams "cheap hard plastics!".

I'm glad somebody noticed and said this besides me. I see the same thing in the interior pictures, the new Mazda SCREAMS "cheap plastics!" I don't know about the "hard" part, but definitely looking Dodgish on the inside. I hope the materials appear better in person. I like the styling overall, though the interior is pretty bland style-wise, with a "sporty" character, but all the guts are bland.

The outside is very nice, but I don't know about the 3 part rear side windows.
    "LOL, admit it, you just hate Honda Accord.

I LOVE the interior, I think it is the best looking interior out of all midsizers, including the current Accord. When will this one be available to us? I am seriously thinking about trading my IS350 for an AWD version. Which V6 will this one pack? The Ford 3.5L or Japan Mazda's 3.8? "

dont hate the accord but the styling speaks for itself, especially after seeing the 6.

The interior of the 6 is another story though, they did not go far enough. The plastic appears to be the same old hard black stuff you find in most mazdas. The interior without nav is just OK and is no better than the 3 in my book. As of right now the Accord with nav is probably the most upscale looking interior in class.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    I personally will probably never keep a car to 200k miles. I only put 8-10K miles a year on each of our cars, and the car will probably rust out from all the road salt long before it hits 200k miles.

I do know that the one Honda I owned for longer than 3 years, a Civic that I owned for almost 8 years and 80k miles, required more in replacement parts than any other car I've owned, including vehicles from so-called unreliable brands such as Dodge and Hyundai. So statistics can deceive if people think that they guarantee a reliable car, short- or long-term, just because the average reliability of its brand is a tick higher percentage-wise than another brand.
    Design is more than about just aesthetics. Design is also about designing a car to last 20 years and 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and virtually no repair costs.

Design is about not saving money on inferior components so as to increase profit margins at sale while driving up warranty and consumer car costs later on.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Accord styles:

'90-'93: Boxy
    '94-'97: Round
    '98-'02: Boxy
    '03-'07: Round
    '08-: Boxy
    So statistics can deceive if people think that they guarantee a reliable car, short- or long-term, just because the average reliability of its brand is a tick higher percentage-wise than another brand.

Yes, there's no guarantee you'll win the hand when you have 20 in blackjack, but I'd take a hand of 20 over a hand of 17 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

A tick higher in reliability??? are you kidding? :confuse:

If your talking about Toyota over Honda over the years, then perhaps, but if your talking about those two vs. say Dodge or Saab, or even VW, then you had better get ready for more than a few ticks of difference, more like, perhaps, a decent high school football team facing last years Superbowl NFL winners.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    So I wonder if Mazda would ever consider the "active suspension" that the Mondeo will be getting where the driver can change the suspension characterstics (like land rover)? But one thing I've really liked about the current 6's suspension is that it is both firm and compliant where there is not a lot of body roll but bumps rarely show up as being harsh and are absorbed and softened nicely.

After seeing what Mazda has been releasing over the last 6 years, it's amazing how much they have changed and improved. From a stable of really forgetable cars except the rx-7 to where they are now, Mazda has become a company with soul and a focus to offer fun to drive cars that are stylish and affordable.
    Design is also about designing a car to last 20 years and 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and virtually no repair costs.

When you find a mid-sized sedan/family car like that, one that has virtually no repairs for 20 years or 300,000 miles, please let us all know so we can rush out and get one! :)
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Oh I see it now. New Malibu has two grills to the Accord one grill up front. That is quite the difference. Look there is nothing wrong with the basic New Malibu car, as is there is nothing wrong with the New Accord looks wise. They raised the hood on the Accord and thus it looks blockier to you. If you can actually see the hood, on the Accord or any car, I say good - very good, as most all cars these days have no visible front from the drivers seat.

If you want an example of real Body by Fisher GM style, you must go back to 68
    I think there's a lot of early 90's Accord's out there that will reach that goal in a few years time.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    I guess. I think of a true box as the 1965 car. Recall how all had the sharp edges. Today, a box is rounded so, it is so aerodynamic it looks smooth to me. And the top swoops down in back. Now the '65 Falcon is a box. Oh yeah, some of the old Fiats and BMW. How about the kind of box, the Volvo's of days gone bye? The Audi 4000 and 5000 were very popular as the rounded edge box designs. Ford loved it and copied it as the first Taurus design, which was so very popular. Maybe Honda is just doing this Accordantly. ;)

just trying to be helpful, Loren
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    When the new 6 arrives to the US, they won't be 2008MY, but rather, 2009MY.

Both the Sport Wagon variant and MazdaSpeed6 are dropped for the 2008MY (US market). No word yet (obviously) what the lineup will be when the new version hits in 2008 as a 09MY.

The reason for two trims being dropped having much to do with demand/supply than anything. I know Mazda originally planned to sell 140K of the 6 annually, well, they are well short of such goal (I think they are averaging about 70K, which is even less than the 626, IIRC). This should help, however.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    There are talks this version might not come to the US. This might be Euro-only (maybe the domestic market as well). We shall see what happens but if this is true, then it would be a similar situation as the Euro Accord (TSX) and NA Accord.
  • I think there's a lot of early 90's Accord's out there that will reach that goal in a few years time.

With enough money, sure. There are 2 on Craigslist right now in my area with blown oil seals (a $1200 repair at the dealer including the timing belt service - btdt). I 'm not complaining, the car is 15 years old, but a Neon will make it to 200k if you replace the head gasket when it goes.
  • I really like the looks and specs we have so far of the new Mazda6. I, too, am excited to hear that the new body style will weigh less than the current model. Coupled with the increases in horsepower, this new Mazda should be formidable. Any word on pricing?

I just hope that by the time a manual transmission model hits my local dealer, they will have forgotten about the Mazdaspeed Mazda6 and MX-5 which I drove but didn't buy, and they will let me drive one of the new 6's...
    LOL..... where are there Neons with 200,000 miles.... show me two....

A Neon would have to have head gaskets replaced 4 times already to reach 200K. It would also be on its 4th transmission, and I'd assume the engine wouldn't last that long either.

I know for a fact the body won't last that long, the suspension, the frame, and the entire car basically start to disintegrate at around 5 years or 60,000 miles.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Since when is a Neon a midsize?

And for the record, there are at least 3 Neon's in the parking lot where I work with 200,000 miles plus and they all have original headgasket and engine and only one of them is on the second transmission.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    >The Accord has been getting worse looking with each generation for some time now so this is no surprise. They dont want the car to offend an aging buyer base. Makes sense I guess.

The 2003 with the oddly canted side profile for the rear was the worst. The refresh where they copied the LaCrosse/Impala taillights helped improve the looks.
  • Can we PLEASE not start up this conversation again with the 300K Accord vs. a Neon (or whatever)? It was boring and pointless the first time around...
    I agree, how many 300K Mazda's are out there?
    Know any owners of those? I'd like to find out how they got through 20 years w/o any repairs--or "virtually" any repairs I should say. My two pampered Hondas couldn't make it through as few as 3 years w/o a repair. One had a clutch, muffler, and A/C condenser go out and major rust appear within 5 years. :(
    Yes, I have an old friend who last I checked in with had a Honda Accord with 280,000+ miles and it was running strong (in fact he showed me how strong when he got it up to about 115 MPH on the freeway).

Of course, I do believe he got a 2006 Honda Accord EX, so he probably traded it in back then.... but let me get back to you on that....

Clutches are a wear item, like brakes. By virtually no repairs I think I mean no repairs costing $1,000 or more.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    I think they just dropped for the 2008 short run and bringing them back in 2009 which the latest I've seen is going on sale around May or June. Yeah, the Sebring looks like a hatch without the benefits of a hatch!
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Clutches are a wear item, like brakes. By virtually no repairs I think I mean no repairs costing $1,000 or more.

That pretty much excluded everything except a blown engine or bad tranny. I don't even think a shot suspension will cost over one grand.

On a second thought, maybe it will...
  • Not quite 20 years, but my father has an 14 year old Accord with 178K with no repairs. He did have to replace wear and tear items such as the tires (4th set), 2 mufflers, brakes pads several times(no rotors), and timing belt/water pump @ 90K. He's changed the oil every 3-4K miles, annual air filter change and replaced the spark plugs twice and that's it.

Absolutely no mechanical repairs in the 14 years he's owned it. His front windows stopped working earlier this summer however. But he seems to live with it and is determined to get 200k before he gets another car.

I've driven it a few times and the motor is still strong. Interior is shot though and the rear panels are rusting.
    I'm hoping he'll get to 200k w/o having to replace the timing belt.