Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,014
    I wouldn't say the Accord is modeled after the 06 Sonata. I would say that the Sonata and the Accord are both chasing Camry. I believe that is why they both are and have grown so much in size. They see Camry selling a boatload(trainload, sorry they're made here now) so they are being copied to someb> degree.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    The accord seems to be modeled after the 2006 Sonata.

I really doubt that. Although there is some resemblance to the Sonata's tailights, there's very little resemblance overall. Even if there were, it would be coincidental. It's clear to me that Honda wanted to make the new Accord look more upscale, more like an Acura (side character line) and BMW (rear greenhouse) while meeting new regs for pedestrian safety (front end), while keeping the overall look inoffensive to most buyers (i.e., bland, because bland sells in this market).
    Let me guess... you don't drive in the Rust Belt, with roads that are pockmarked with potholes (some big enough to swallow a Mini Cooper) and lots of large cracks and tar strips, very often, yes?

Firm ride is great on smooth, curvy roads... like those the auto mag testers frequent. Or racetracks. On the imperfect highways and byways of much of America, a too-firm ride can indeed be one man's pain.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Actually design is part of engineering if you want to be specific.
  • There is a Mazda 6i loaded touring I wish to buy. There is $ 1750 cashback incentive. Invoice is roughly 22,103. There are also some options on the car. Destination charge is $595. It all adds up to $22,786.
    Edmunds TMV is 23,121, which is a few hundred over invoice AND destination. But in the real world does not the dealer ADD destination charge to the sales price before subtracting the incentice? I ask because if that's the case, would not a fair sales price be few hundered over the "invoice." Thoughts?
    I don't see where GM designers spent more time designing the Malibu than Honda designers did with the Accord.

The Malibu has a traditional 2 part grill chevy front end which looks like an bloated Cobalt. The side profile was lifted directly from TL with the rear end resembles the Mitsu Diamante. Original design? I don't think so.

The Honda Accord in every way resembles the 5-series (except the front, which looks Saturn to me), also not an original design.

Both cars at best can only be considered as good design that's easy on eyes.
    The accord seems to be modeled after the 2006 Sonata.

The '08 Accord looks nothing like the Sonata.

Honda designers already admitted that they were heavily influenced by the 5-series both inside and out.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I agree, I think that link exaggerates any problems. I have also checked many times and, just as you indicate, the front of the car appears in the side mirror before the back leaves the rear view mirror. I don't see a problem with needing to move my head around in parking, much rather do it in that very slow speed situation than when driving 70 mph on the freeway.

Motorcycles are always going to be harder to see, no matter what you do with your mirrors. As a former rider, I was always well aware of this and spent as little time as possible next to any vehicle in a spot where I could only be seen if the person were to turn his head or look in a mirror.

I do still take a look before changing lanes, I just have more confidence that I know what is around me when I can see everything at all times, without the need to turn and look.

So anyway, "blind spots" in midsize sedans are not an issue for me :) .

Now, the trend toward toward super-high (and super short) trunk lids...that is one I don't like. I don't want to have to slide things in the trunk horizontally and the visibility when backing up is better if the trunk lid is not so high.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    Thats funny because around 100-115 MPH it started to get unstable even though it was Interstate 5 and straight as an arrow. :surprise:

He only had it at 113-115 MPH for a split second, and got it back down to where it wasn't feeling unsafe and unstable.
    :D
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No, it's a combination of font size and screen resolution. The key question is did the picture widen the area where the posts appear. If it widened it more than an inch or so, a lot of people (not everyone, but don't forget we have a whole lot more lurkers than we do posters) will have trouble viewing the page.

A link will be fine if that's what you want to do, but posting on your page would take care of it as well and you could still have the picture appear in the discussion.
    Yes, I agree my 1K estimate for "virtually no repairs" is high. I guess I was used to my domestic vehicle that always had 2 or 3 problems by the time I took the time to take it in for service repairs every 2 to 3 months. So a broken AC might be 750 dollars, but the timing belt the compressor just burnt needing replacement pushes that up to 1,000.

Anyway, I guess we can compromise and say virtually no repairs is anything under $600, and furthermore does not occur with any regular frequency (less than biannually).
  • Let me guess... you don't drive in the Rust Belt, with roads that are pockmarked with potholes (some big enough to swallow a Mini Cooper) and lots of large cracks and tar strips, very often, yes?

Michigan, actually

Firm ride is great on smooth, curvy roads... like those the auto mag testers frequent. Or racetracks. On the imperfect highways and byways of much of America, a too-firm ride can indeed be one man's pain.

Yeah, you know I live in the same town as Car & Driver's headquarters and can't seem to find the beautiful roads they have in the pictures :confuse: Also, the tiny windy mountain roads on California's central coast (or, as another local, Bob Seager would say, miles and miles of those twisty turny roads)where I would "exercise" sporting vehicles in my youth were far from smooth and flat.
    Some weblogue of the roads of my youth
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Actually, the Classic Malibu, you know the rental fleet one, looks similar to the New Malibu. Both look OK. It was the steering, handling and drive-train which needed improvement. Did not expect any really hot styling to be done, and they didn't. Just a pleasing looking car. If it is more than that, I guess one has to see it in the metal, and not just in photo. The Sonata is pretty nice looks wise, and almost performs as well as the best of the best. For its price, and when kept to retirement, it seems like a value leader. Depends how picky one is about things.
    L
    Guess my center rear view mirror is wider. Never seen such a narrow rear view with the center mirror. I have watched for a car coming in the rear view as visible, then when it was close to disappearing, looked to the side mirror and it appears with the new method of mirror placement. Could be the wider view inside, or perhaps I am not as radical in the new view placement of the mirror, as in not moving it too far outwards. Oh well, something else for people to debate.
    Loren
    Great! That means in over 30 years of car ownership, I've owned only one car that required repairs, "virtually." It was a Honda. All the other cars I've owned--Toyotas, Mazdas, Hyundais, Nissans, Dodges, Mitsubishi, Mercury, even a Chevy Vega--required virtually no repairs.

Looks like Honda is the most unreliable car on the planet, based on my long-term experience.

Now perhaps we could dispense with this stuff on "virtual" repairs and talk more about "concrete" things, like the cars?
    This could be the new Mitsu Galant, what do you guys think?

hmmmm.... seems to look like every other car these days.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Very 1980's Japanese executive car ugly.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Thats the nice thing with nissan, no belts in any of their vehicles. One less thing to worry about, and pay to replace.
    I have my doubts about Mitsubishi being around the USA much longer. I live on the Central Coast of California, a virtual import car zone, and there is not a dealership within a 135 miles of where I live. This is wrong. The dealerships can not make a go of it here, I would say elsewhere USA is doomed.

They have made some interesting looking cars over the past decades, but it may soon be over. I owned a Dodge Stealth, alias Mitsubishi 3000. Seemed to me that part prices were pretty high, but perhaps it was just that new model. The car was not the same reliability as other Japan makes, at least in my case. Yes, a small sample of one. Now the car was not too expensive, really cool looking and got the most positive comments and looks from people of any car I have ever owned. It seemed pretty sturdy over all, but just short of trouble free in its life with me. A Galant, IMHO, is an interesting looking car, as it has some extra style to it. But if sales are lacking, I fear for the dealerships in America, and thus I am out where it comes to any consideration of the products.

They have brought some interesting products to America over the years -- hope they can survive as a provider of cars to North American Sales.
    L
    How do I keep my pants up. :confuse:
    Loren
  • But, the long-term reliability of Nissan's CVT is still unknown. How many Murano's or other Nissan products are now over 100K miles without any transmission repairs. Just wondering . . ., as I haven't had a normal automatic transmission design fail at less that 165K miles.
    Ummm, I see no photo. If you are talking 2008 Galant, it looks pretty good, sort of like the New Malibu. It's good. When the Galant '08 style was a brand new style, some years back no doubt, I kinda thought it had that little something extra to it over the average mid-sized car style. Not too bad. The look still holds up well.
    L
    Oh yeah, that's a belt? Test drove a CVT. Didn't do much for me, but then again I like the feel of gears kickin' in. The golf cart feel is something one could live with, but not live for.
    L
    I don't have links, but i've seen stuff out there showing that nissan has less warranty claims for their CVT's than they had with autos. And a good deal of the ones that need fixed/replaced are because people put regualr dextron II in them. But, most of the time a CVT will be cheaper and easier to fix than a traditional auto. It just has less parts and simpler design. Thats the beuaty of them. take all those gears, gear clusters and other parts of a the auto and replace it with 2 pullies and a belt.
    Its a belt, but not a toothed rubber belt like a timing belt though. and going back to the whole belt/chain thing, even though it only cost me $400 to replace the belt on my honda, once again, its $400 I didn't have to spend on any of my nissans. ;) that puts the total money spent on the 5 year honda at $800, and a total cost of $0 for the 9yr old nissan.

And there's no golf cart feel on the xtronic, at least on the altima. I'm pretty sure the vesa and sentra have a little bit of that going on, but the altima uses a newer and better design.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I don't have a problem with the timing belt on my 03 V6 Accord. When I get to 105k miles, I'll change it. If you have a problem with it, don't buy one. Both of my Accords have had timing belts, and they haven't been a problem. I don't see many other Accord owners complaining about them either. I trust Honda knows what they are doing.
    so defensive, relax elroy. I never said they were bad, and even implied the replacement cost was acceptable.
  • Trust me, i'll be complaining when that $500+ belt replacement rolls around in 3,000 miles on my 1996. Ugh... :sick:
    The car back of the front end is pleasant looking, in a generic way. Quite sleek. The front end? I can imagine there are some people who think it's attractive. Just not me. If it were the greatest mid-sized car available, I wouldn't buy it based on that front-end alone. I call that the "Aztec Factor" in my car buying process.