Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Our LeSabres have that feature but it can be turned off with a tap on the button and then turned on when you wish. Is that on your mirror?

Nope. Don't see a way to disable it. No buttons.
  • If you don't have the time to make the necessary adjustments or changes to your seat (and possibly mirrors,etc) then I really think you should slow down just a little. I have found that I get a better adjustment with the power seats over the manual. I would also agree it takes a few seconds for the power seats to adjust, but I don't think that time is so critical, at least for me, that I don't check my vehicle before driving off. It shouldn't be more than a few seconds, or minutes at the most. By the way, yes auto seats can/do break at times. What else is new? Wow, did I say all that? Hmmmmm.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Yes, I see ratings for the Altima are there now. When I made my original post yesterday, there was just a blank space there for the Altima. I think another post from yesterday referred to this same issue, so apparently I wasn't the only person who noticed it. But it's fixed now.
    When I made my original post yesterday, there was just a blank space there for the Altima.

That's what my display showed too. :) Must have been an anomaly.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I never said that I don't take the time to make the adjustments - I always do make safety #1. What I said was it takes longer to make the necessary adjustments with a power seat. I have never seen any stats that say power seats are safer, so I prefer quicker adjusting manual seats.

I have never had a manual adjustment seat break on me, so that is a concern for ME.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Gotta get a memory seat. The adjustment happens before you get into the car as the door is opened.

Power seats break as often as power windows. :surprise
  • Primarily, my point was safety, but also the ability to adjust more accurately to my personal preference. I have found the power seats although slower are able to better accomodate me. I haven't had any of the adjustments break on me yet, but I am not at all surprised to hear of it happening. I too would be concerned about it. Glad you are with us on the safety points.
    :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    A few posts ago there was a small flurry of activity concerning the range of fuel economy numbers on the EPA window sticker. Some said why a range if the bold large numbers indicate the estimated economy numbers for their particular car? Someone else was on the right track when they said it was a range of fuel economy numbers for all like vehicles in the same size class then that thought got side tracked by what defines a "class" of vehicles. The truth of the matter is: Those numbers are there for use as a comparison to those thinking of buying a truck/car/SUV within the same size range as others. They are not assigned to specific vehicles but let the shopper know that "somewhere out there" there is another vehicle (within the same size class) that gets better (worse) estimated fuel economy than the one they are currently looking at by checking that range of numbers and comparing them to the bold numbers on the specific car. It is much the same as the energy ratings on your electric water heater..or refridgerator..or dishwasher..or clothes dryer. Your specific model is shown with an arrow along a linear chart showing some are more efficient some less. For once and for all I hope this dispels the idea that that range applies to one specific vehicle.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Power seats break as often as power windows.

How often is that? Is it any more frequent than manual windows?

Do not have much experience with power windows on older cars...we do have a '97 windstar and have not had a problem with them. Our other cars with power windows are less than 3 years old. In shopping for older cars for a couple kids recently, I have not seen many with power window problems. I only recall one and all it needed was a new switch.

My daughter recently got rid of a contour with non-useable manual driver window...would have cost $150 or so to fix it, IIRC. The car was 11 years old when the stub that the crank connects to broke off.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Actually...the new stickers give both a range for the particular vehicle you are looking at and a range for the class.

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratingsNewSticker.shtml
    Thanks, I learn something new almost every day.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Accord EX-L and EX-L/V6 have auto-dimming mirror standard (and accessory on other trims). Between those and manually adjusting mirror, I'm actually split. I have manual in my old Accord and auto in my TL.

Manual responds immediately, and TL's works but take a few seconds longer (after cold starts, I guess the chemicals inside the mirror casing take a little while to "warm").

This is similar to manual seat adjustment versus powered (although in this case, I'm the only one who drives the Accord which has power seats and rarely needs adjustments, while TL has memory seats, so it adjusts itself before I get in the car).
    In reality, people don't use "range" to shop. They look at 20/30, and compare it to 22/32. Guess which they would like. As for range, the classification is based on EPA's definition of class. So, Accord and Sonata fall outside the class which is the point of this discussion. Should we continue to discuss them in this thread? :D
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Thanks, I learn something new almost every day.

"For once and for all" did this teach you to do some research before typing out posts that are meant to make others look foolish? :P
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Thanks for posting that "new" EPA sticker.

I interpet it to mean that the big, bold number is the estimated average and the range is a comparision of different types of drivers for that vehicle, ranging from those who jump on the gas pedal (lower end of range) to those who accelerate (and brake) moderately (higher end of the range).
    So, Accord and Sonata fall outside the class which is the point of this discussion. Should we continue to discuss them in this thread?

That is a good question. What is a mid-sized sedan? Consider:

* Versa is generally considered a subcompact but has mid-sized interior room.
    * Elantra and Sentra are generally considered compacts, but have mid-sized interior room which exceeds some of the cars listed for this discussion.
    * Accord and Sonata have large-car interior volume. So does Azera, actually more than either Accord or Sonata. But Accord is bigger outside than the Azera. Therefore, Accord is the mid-sized car and Azera is the large car. :surprise:

If anyone has a "definitive" definition of what a mid-sized car is, I haven't seen it. Some compare by interior room, some by length, some by price. Perrsonally, I compare by fitness to a particular purpose. So that pits cars like the Fit, Versa and Elantra against cars like the Mazda6, Optima, and Sonata--because they all fit my space requirements and are within my target price range.

Who knows, maybe in a few years the set of mid-sized and large cars will be much different than it is now, e.g. mid-sizers will include Civic, Corolla, Elantra, and Sentra, and large cars will include Accord, Camry, and Sonata.
    If anyone has a "definitive" definition of what a mid-sized car is, I haven't seen it.

I agree, Backy. Maybe cubic feet interior space would make for a creditable yardstick. Just a thought.
    Others have been misinterpreting this "range" thing for quite a while and I thought it was time to clear it up. It really wasn't my intention to make you look foolish. It's really too bad one can't even make a post here any more without sensitivity training.
    It really doesn't matter if you believe anyone uses that "range" section to shop or not. I didn't mandate it I only attempted to explain it. But it seems I managed only to make some feel like fools. If you have comments about its use or non-use I suggest you email the EPA. Doesn't matter to me what class you believe the Accord or Sonata falls into either because I didn't classify them. See above suggestion about emailing the EPA. Finally, if you believe both fall outside the specifications of this thread then feel free to stop discussing either or both.
    Since we're talking EPA ratings and we can only use their standard (EPA's definition of class). And they have three different standards.

One applies to cars (typical sedan/coupe)
    Another to station wagons (like Versa, Fit etc)
    And finally, light trucks (SUVs, Pickups, Minivans) which actually uses GVWR for classification.

By definition, a midsize "car" has 110-119 cu ft of cabin+trunk space. However, a midsize "wagon" has to have 130-159 cu ft of total volume.

With 120-121 cu ft, Accord and Sonata fall out of midsize spectrum (by EPA's definition of class, and EPA's standard for fuel economy rating).
    Then I'm assuming you've never quoted EPA rating for your car, have you? ;)

What is it anyway? :shades:
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Others have been misinterpreting this "range" thing for quite a while and I thought it was time to clear it up. It really wasn't my intention to make you look foolish. It's really too bad one can't even make a post here any more without sensitivity training.

Maybe you missed this the first time around so I'll post several for you to see this time.

:P :P :P :P

Do you know what those mean? Talk about sensitive!!
    Do you know what those mean?

I don't know what :P means. Explain please.
    Edmunds spells it pblt (if you mouse-over the icon) but it is really “BTTF”. Ever wonder why most sci-fi movies show humans of the future living in caves or run down places? That’s going “Back To The Future”. It is a part of next generation hieroglyphs. :P

From wikipedia...

:-p or :p or :P or :-Þ : Smile with tongue out - used to denote either a "raspberry" or being 'tongue in cheek' in English
    The tongue is definitely not in the cheek on this particular Emoticon. "Raspberry" is the more apt description for it.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    from what i see.... and it's rating quite well!!!

good for Nissan!
    Yes, good for Nissan, and particularly for the Altima Coupe--24 of the 27 ratings are for the coupe. Maybe there aren't many 2008 sedans in dealer lots yet?
  • Now, I dont want to send this thread back into warranty talk hell... but I was just doing a little research on the new Mitsubishi Lancer(that exterior is bad [non-permissible content removed]!), and noticed that Mitsubishi is offering a 5yr/60,000miles bumper to bumper warranty on their cars now. Is this new? Or has it always been like this? And does the Lancer fall into the midsize catagory, or is it compact, should i be discussing the Galant(which isnt as cool)instead?

Not to say that I wouldn't have purchased the car I did last month... but had I known they had matched the best warranty in america... I may have given a Mitsubishi car a second look, and test drive.
    Mitsubishi has offered the 5 year/60k mile bumper-to-bumper and 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty for several years.

Galant is Mitsubishi's mid-sized sedan entry--Lancer is a compact, although quite roomy inside. But more cool than the Galant. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    What is your point? If the Sonata and Accord are considered large cars, instead of mid-size, wouldn't that boost their MPG relative ratings intheir new class.

Exterior size seems to me to be a better difinition of "mid-size" or "large". Although it's a bit of a mouthful, what's wrong about talking about a mid-size car with large car interior room?

I think that is basically saying what backy was saying.