Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Uh...

I think the 06' Sonata copied 98'-02' Honda Accord's head lamp, NOT the current version's.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    But we were talking about TAIL lamps. :surprise:

Hyundai's engineers admitted they used the Audi A6 as a model for exterior styling. The headlamp shape is pretty nondescript and has been used by many, many other cars.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Okay, tail lamps. So you were saying...

is similar to

Are you kidding?
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    AS for performance, we haven't seen any Mazda 6 beat an Accords performance, and I don't expect that to change.

This is the Honda-holic's attitude in spades... whatever facts don't fit with their view, they ignore. Ok, how about braking, where the Accord stops 10 feet longer according to the Edmunds midsize comparo - or were you thinking a bigger # is better? Or how about that the Accord tested in the same comparo to be able to do the slalom at 60 mph where the Mazda6 was able to do it at 65 mph. The Accord has many strengths, but to overstate and exaggerate how good it is does nothing but make me think you are a indeed a Honda-holic.

Look, I hope the new Accord raises the bar... as a consumer, I always look forward to new models irregardless of whose name appears on the car; competition is a great thing and we are very lucky that this competition by all manufacturers in this segment results in better cars for all of us regardless of what brand we choose. As a long time Honda fan, I look forward to trying out the new Accord. So far, there are things that I'm excited about, but there are also areas where Honda could have done better. But the main thing for me is how it drives... for that I'll have to wait a little longer.
    No, I'm not. Look at the shape of the lamps on the rear quarter panels--they're nearly exact copies except the Accord has more white plastic. And Honda didn't put the extensions onto the trunk lid. They are saving that for the refresh in 2011 MY (don't laugh, they've done exactly that before).
  • it does look similar. are you kidding? the shape of the tail light is almost identical if you don't look at the part that is attached to trunk.
  • you beat me to it backy!

anyway, this car is combinations of 4-5 cars. identity crisis anyone? i like this accord, but this really isn't a design masterpiece. i don't mind buying one because it's roomy, saves gas, and reliable, but not for the looks. interior looks great except there are too many buttons for my taste(i like current versions simplicity), but shapes and materials looks very nice.

oh by the way, tsx is the best accord ever. :)
  • Will there still be a hybrid Accord here or will there be a diesel? I heard the diesel is a 2.2 liter 140 hp I4 and gets 50 MPG. But I think they could make it more powerful.
    Hybrid Accord is dead (, Jim). RIP.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    I have to admit that I'm too much of a (I want power and I want gas mileage at the same time!) kind of a guy to have ever even test driven the Mazda 6. When you combine somewhat poor gas mileage with somewhat poor power at the same time, you won't get on my "gotta have it list." (Note: I know the Speed6 mostly solved the deficiencies and inefficiencies in the Mazda 6) ;)

That being said.... I do like a car that can handle well in the twisties, and the Honda's have always been competent in this regard.
  • love mazda 6, but this accord kills mazda 6's interior material. it's too busy for my taste, but i can't argue against the material.
  • dimon12dimon12 Posts: 10
    Is it me or is it that Honda did away with cool electroluminiscent (optitron) gauges of the prev generation and replaced them with cheaper overstyled regular ones?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    love mazda 6, but this accord kills mazda 6's interior material. it's too busy for my taste, but i can't argue against the material.

I'm not sure how you guys can say that? :confuse: The silver plastic in those pictures looks exactly the same to me as what was in the 6 before they changed the center stack to all black. The entire dash and most of the doors of the 6 are covered in a soft material that has been compared to leather by MT or C&D. I can't remember which one. Here, MT comments on the quality of the interior materials in the 6.

The soft textures and surface coverings are unusually good and would be at home in any aspirational European sedan. Overall, the cabin of the Mazda 6s is highly functional, tasteful, and slightly more high-end than the other two in this test.

The "other two" were the Altima and the Jetta. I don't think anyone here will argue that VW makes some mighty fine interiors.

Have you guys that keep dogging the interior of the 6 ever acutually sat in one and touched the materials or are you going by pictures?
    Be frank, would a sport mode ATX make it light years ahead? No, and if it did have it, would you say it is light years ahead? No again.

Honestly, no it wouldn't. But I was expecting more. Maybe a DSG or something of the like. You Honda boys are quick to point out what other mfrs left out of their cars and are equally quick to defent Honda's blatant omissions. How are we to call this new Accord class leading when it doesn't match or better the competition in any way?
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The "other two" were the Altima and the Jetta. I don't think anyone here will argue that VW makes some mighty fine interiors.

If they were talking about the current Altima (and not an 03 model), a Passat (not the Jetta), or an Accord interior, I would be impressed. But those two were pretty easy to beat, IMO.
    It appears some folks have some serious mis-conceptions about the Mazda6 and what it is all about. I'm betting the next 6 will be a pretty serious sports sedan and keep all these other cars in it's rear view mirror. I have no proof of that, and weight could prove me wrong, but I think Mazda will come through once more.
  • Please don't generalize; if there are some people you have a drudge against, take that out to their posts; not mine.

The Accord has always been a car that is good at most things it does, not always the best in any one category; this iteration seems to be following the same lines.
    So you're telling me that you think the Jetta's interior is low rent then? That's literally the first time I've ever heard someone speak negatively about a VW interior.
  • "It appears some folks have some serious mis-conceptions about the Mazda6 and what it is all about. I'm betting the next 6 will be a pretty serious sports sedan and keep all these other cars in it's rear view mirror. I have no proof of that, and weight could prove me wrong, but I think Mazda will come through once more."

Really, no one denies that hte Mazda6 handled better than the Accord; however, that was the end of its superiority over the Accord. Everything else, including engines, refinement power, fuel economy, interior fit and finish were always better than the 6 (IMO). I have no doubt that the new 6 will be a good car, expecially since mazda executives addmitted that the reason for the failure of the 6 in the US market was due to its slightly smaller size compared to its competitors. I am expecting a larger car this time around. Hopefully, they can keep the zoom-zoom DNA and extend it to superior engines as well.

I will be in the market for a mid sizer in mid 2009 (when my current 330i lease runs out); be then both these cars will have been in the market for a year plus; things will be much clearer.
  • "Have you guys that keep dogging the interior of the 6 ever acutually sat in one and touched the materials or are you going by pictures?"

I frequently rent Mazda6 cars; have always liked the way they drive. Interior fit and finish (to me) is not upto Accord standards, and the new Accord goes one up (I especially liked the pictures with the wood interior); having said that, the new 6 is due soon, so we can compare new to new.