Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    f you are going to post pictures, can't you at least have the courtesy to learn how to size them, so they fit on the pages properly.?

They aren't my pictures so I don't control the size - I only link to them.

On my 14" laptop the pictures are only 7.5" wide and they fit just fine on my 12" wide screen.

Maybe you need to adjust your settings.
  • Much like my 1996 Legacy GT, the steering was very direct and positive while torque at lower rpms was decent making coming out of corners pretty fun. I'd imagine having a manual would be the better way to go though. Still, the car was quiet but not isolated; a great car with a lot in common to the sonata and accord.

I concur, the NVH characteristics are very different than the '07 Accord EX. I like the way the Subie kicks a little when you turn it on, since the engine is longitudinally mounted, and the flat-4 growls a little more. Its definitely a more connected, tactile driving experience.
    The Accord, with the exception of wind and tire noise, is pretty darn quiet. I actually like the noise it makes when you turn it on, because that is pretty much the only indication there is an engine in the vehicle.
  • I think I am with you on this, I would think "virtually no repair cost" should be in the under even $500 range, of course, not counting normal wear/tear items. Repairs up to $1000 seems way too high to be "no repair cost" to my way of thinking. I have come from an entirely different time era though, so maybe what I think really doesn't count in this forum any more.
    van
  • I think I am with you on this, I would think "virtually no repair cost" should be in the under even $500 range, of course, not counting normal wear/tear items. Repairs up to $1000 seems way too high to be "no repair cost" to my way of thinking. I have come from an entirely different time era though, so maybe what I think really doesn't count in this forum any more.

I agree that 1k is a lot to be no repairs, unless its a total dollar amount spent. Even $500 adds up if its a monthly expense. That is what happened with the old vehicle, is the average monthly repair/maintenance cost got too close to the car payment of something new.
  • Thank you for replying, sorry if that is the case. My settings (1024/768) are fine on every other location however. On THIS SITE ONLY, my monitor seems to have problems with many pictures that "blow" the entire page, and it is a 19" monitor. Whatever the problem this site frequently receives photos that are too over-sized, and the host usually mentions how to correct the problems. Sorry, but it just really bugs me when it happens.
    van
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I like the handling of the Legacy too. Also the AWD is a plus (also a minus, for FE). I actually looked closely at the Legacy last year when prices were really good. But the tight back seat was the main blocker for me. Also I realized I don't need AWD very often, and I was not willing to pay the FE penalty for the few times I'd use it. I also thought the ride was a little harsher (and noisier) than I'd like, considering all the bad roads I have to drive on every day.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, they probably are too wide for many people. When that is the case people have to scroll from left to right to read every line on the page that contains them. One way to fix it is post them on your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated code to display them here. That way they'll be the correct size.

I've looked at them with two computers - on one the page was fine and on the other the page was skewed.

Here's a tip for anyone having to scroll left to right in a situation similar to this. If you click on the message number following the pictures, the page will redisplay starting with that message which gets the pictures off your page. At least you can then more easily read the messages that follow.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    That sounds like a browser problem. Next time I'll just post the link.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yes, I was talking about what you must be calling the "tip" (I had meant to say that the side windows actually seem to be 4 parts, but the 4th looks to be black plastic).

I didn't mention it because of possible blind spots (that's what side mirrors are for) but because, if they have the plastic filler piece, they cheaped out on this in the new sedan model. It's not a big deal, but how much would it cost to just have glass there? Or if you don't want the cost of the odd shaped glass, then don't design the c pillar like that.

It's still not clear to me whether it's plastic or glass...if glass, it is kind of wierd to have two little pieces back there.
    Your pictures appear fine to me.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Thanks for the info. I bet something like 600 pixel width would fit nicely. Speaking of fitting nicely, is there such a thing as too big for smaller and mid-size classed cars. I am not sure if I am in the majority, or minority here, on the issue of size but it seems to me like a small car or a mid-size car blown up, as they are once again doing, is simply wrong. If I want to buy a tank or a land yacht I would do so. I happen to live in a city with narrow streets, so a car like the CTS fit pretty darn good. It is a mid-size car, or at least it was. An inch or two difference is not going to render the car impossible to navigate or park in those narrow space, but it means they are on the track for super-sizing. Seems like if the Civic grows any more, it will be a mid-sized car, and the Fit no doubt grows to replace it. How silly is that? Plans for the new Camaro and Challenger cars call for a monster width nearing 80", which is pretty much truck width or some barge like a Town Car. What's up with that? I thought super-sized Pony car, as in too large Mustang killed sales back in the early 70's. They took a wonderful sporty size, then kept growing into something it was never meant to be.

There is the value of the SUV and Minivan, as mass people movers, they fill the gap left from the largest of cars in width leaving the market.
    I personally, as in IMHO, see most cars, even the new Impala as better if they keep width and length under control, and leave the 5 to 7 passenger capacity to say the minivan. This is not to say a mid-sized or large car or today can not carry five, or possibly six people, but are they in great comfort, or feel more like a hostage? I have a mid-sized car, and it could carry five across town, but I would not want to go cross country. There is no way I am wanting this car though to be larger, and I here it grew an inch taller and three inches longer. To me that is alright, if you want a large car. It is no longer a mid-sized. Let the SUV/Minivan/Crossdresser vehicles carry the massive loads, IMHO.

One more thing on size. Not sure the Epsilon GM cars need an extra inch in with as much as possibly narrowing that central area of the console so the knee doesn't hit there or rests easier there, when the foot is on gas. This could be a case where adding an inch is needed, unless it can be done on the inside only. Maybe both, an inch overall car width and eke out an extra inch inside in addition for add a couple. Just a thought. I find the Aura to be pretty comforatable, but a little change wouldn't hurt, especially in this super-sized world of cars and people. :shades:

• I like the handling of the Legacy too. Also the AWD is a plus (also a minus, for FE). I actually looked closely at the Legacy last year when prices were really good. But the tight back seat was the main blocker for me. Also I realized I don't need AWD very often, and I was not willing to pay the FE penalty for the few times I'd use it.

We were primarily shopping the Legacy against the Accord, and the 23/30 vs 26/34 was okay with us. Now that we have one of each, the mileage seems pretty much the same in real world driving. We also liked the wagon body style.

I also thought the ride was a little harsher (and noisier) than I'd like, considering all the bad roads I have to drive on every day.

I agree, the ride is firmer than the Accord, and it is definitely a more active driving experience. This was one of the things we really liked about it...one man's pain is another man's pleasure?
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    If your mirrors are adjusted correctly you really shouldn't have a blind spot in any car. I was talking to a friend and they were talking about a blind spot. I told them to lean towards the center of the car and adjust the passenger side mirror so they could see the other lane. When they leaned back to driver postition they said they couldn't see the side of their car. I said why do you want to see the side of your car, the object is to see the other car, not yours. Same thing on the driver side. Lean over to where your head hits the window and adjust the mirror out so you see the lane next to you, not the side of your car. I find that when I adjust the mirrors like this I can drive looking pretty much straight ahead and if I'm in the middle of three lanes I can see the lane behind and both sides by glancing at the mirrors. I might lean a couple of inches but I certainly don't have any blind spots. I noticed this when I would drive the car after my wife drove it. The mirrors would be angled so far in towards the car I couldn't believe it. I find lots of people need to see the side of their car through the side mirrors and that just isn't the point.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    "Design is more than about just aesthetics. Design is also about designing a car to last 20 years and 300,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and virtually no repair costs. "

actually that is engineering, not design. I dont care if my car last 20 years since I'm not keeping it that long. Dont act like most imports stay on the road that long either. No need for the hyperbole to hype up the durability of imports.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    there is nothing "wrong" with the 2008 Accord's styling but unlike Chevy it appears they put minimal effort into the design. Its obvious that design wasnt a high priority on that car. The Malibu may not be the greatest design ever but effort was made and its generally thought of as an attractive car. The accord seems to be modeled after the 2006 Sonata.

BTW, my car has a hood that is visable from the driver's seat. Dont think that is exclusive to the Accord.
    Yep, been doing the side mirrors sort of that way for years. But I think the way to do it is lean your head over and then adjust that mirror so you can just see the side of your car. Then when your head is back in the center you won't see the side of your car, but will have little or no blind spot (The front of a passing car will appear in your peripheral vision before the back of it leaves the side mirror).

And if I do need to see the side of my car, such as backing around something I can do so by leaning my head over.

Another advantage of this mirror setting is you don't get headlight glare, via the side mirror, from cars that are directly behind you.
    Appreciate the link. I understand the arguments against the "new way". However, if you draw normal width traffic lanes around the vehicles you can see that the vehicle with mirrors adjusted traditionally would leave huge blind spots directly in the lanes to the right and left. I have used this new method for thirty years and I have never failed to keep track of a vehicle in my rear view mirror as it moves and is then picked up in the side mirror. Same as when the overtaking vehicle moves out of view in my side mirror it is then showing in my peripheal vision.

In the illustration for vehicle one, it seems that the total of all mirrors views end up directly almost within the same lane directly behind the vehicle.

This could be something that seems to work for me and maybe I've been lucky to avoid any accidents involving not seeing a vehicle when changing lanes or similar maneuvers.
  • As pat notes I recently commented on the 4 cylinder 2.4 liter engines used in both Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata on another topic thread in this site. My original post/reply was directed at comments by a 2007 Sonata owner who felt his car didn't have enough power. He lives in western Pa which is mountainous and I noted we traveled to western Pa using rented Optima's and Sonata's at various times recently. Some here may remember that at the time I had sort of an informal comparison between the Optima and a Ford Fusion (both 4cyl. automatics) that I subsuquently rented after turning in the Optima.. Anyhow I commented that I felt the Optima/Sonata both felt sufficiently powerful even with 4 passengers and their luggage climbing the Allegheny mountains. Both felt, dare I say...snappy...from a dead stop. And despite all the talk about "refinement" when discussing engines and how Honda/Toyota have a "lock" on that particularly tenuous property the Hyundai 4 was just as smooth at idle (quiet too) as any Camcord I have seen. Quiet too when accelerating. The transmissions on both cars shifted smoothly and did what transmissions are designed to do..be in the right gear at the right time. I grew up during the great muscle car era and owned a few myself. I believed "too much power is never enough" and to this day prefer a V-6 when both a 4 along with a V-6 is offered on a particular car. Having said this some modern 4's are tempting me because they are more than adaquate. I wonder if Honda in offering a 200 HP 4 cylinder for the newest Accord will prompt a 4 cylinder horsepower race??
    You pretty much described exactly what I do but got it across better. And ditto on headlight glare.