Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    When you're stuck in stop-n-go traffic for 2 hours a day driving ceases to be fun anyway regardless of what you're driving.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    after driving a stick for a looong time, I gave it up. It ceased to be fun

Same here, but no stop and go traffic, it was more that it just ceased to be worth the trouble. I had manuals mostly because I got more gears, better mileage, and adequate power from a 4 cylinder engine...those advantages are now pretty much gone. Maybe if we got the engine choices that Europeans do, I might have continued...maybe I'd be driving a manual trans mazda6 with a 1.8L or 2.0L engine.

Stepping on a clutch pedal and moving a shift lever is not something that I find particularly exciting the vast mjority of the time, it was just a simple task that needed to be done.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    Here's a question: which mid-sized sedans don't do the plood thing at all? I know of a few, but are there others? The two that come to mind off the bat are the Mazda6 and Optima. Or does the 6 offer plood on some trim lines? Also some of the compacts-with-midsized-room don't offer plood, e.g. Elantra and Versa.

If we all band together, maybe write our Congresspeople, we can stamp out this scourge of plood once and for all!

(Just kidding.)
  • When you're stuck in stop-n-go traffic for 2 hours a day driving ceases to be fun anyway regardless of what you're driving.

Yeah, thats a lifestyle choice I would avoid, personally.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Here's a question: which mid-sized sedans don't do the plood thing at all? I know of a few, but are there others?

The 2007 (2008?) Ford Fusion is/was available without plood. Our SEL AWD has piano black (shiny black plastic) trim. It's a dust magnet but much more pleasing than plood. I really do dislike plastic wood, on any car.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I can bet most people couldn't tell the difference between faux wood (plood) and real wood when the former is done right. In fact, sometimes, certain woods can look unnatural (like the dark "real" wood offered in Acura RL in the past and in Lexus LS).

Real wood (but with matte finish) is an accessory on the Accord now, including covering the silver trim on steering wheel as well.

I don't have faith in silver/aluminum look plastics. They don't age very well and are prone to scratch. And when they do get one, it really shows. Two out of last two Altima rentals had that issue. I would hate it in my car.

I also see Accord getting a bit of TL treatment with some black plastic (a bit matte finished). It looks good and high quality, but also shows nail marks easily although it can be buffed off so it will age well.
    I'm not a black-piano finish (or any other color finish) either for the same reason I can't understand the latest fad with laptop manufactures using glossy exterior. They are hard to maintain, and show finger prints very easily. On the upside, they might help track thieves. :P
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Technically, it should be "ood-play". :P ;) :shades:
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Generally speaking it looks good, can't say anything about the quality of the materials yet but just based on the look:

1. I was hoping it'll look more like TL/TSX interior than RL or 5-series type. I guess Honda designers have turned the new Accord into a poor man's 5-series inside and out. I don't dislike the idea but it just doesn't look Honda to me anymore.

2. That gear shifter looks CHEAP and like it's lifted out directly from Civic. A good looking gated shifter like the one in TL will make the cabin looks even more luxurious.
    I can bet most people couldn't tell the difference between faux wood (plood) and real wood

The beautiful thing for me is I don't care :) . Real or fake, the wood look is not something I find appealing in a car at all.
    I'm glad to have company. Not everybody is as lucky as us though. :P

That said, I would prefer plood over silvery/aluminumy plastic in *any* car. If I got an Accord with silver plastics (especially on the steering wheel), I will go for the wood trim as pictured earlier). In reality, give me either real aluminum or just nicely finished black plastic.

Here is a close up of the audio controls in my 1998 Accord

The real beauty of it is not only that its layout is remarkably well thought out, but it has stood the test of time. The minor scratches are only visible under flash, but I can't imagine any kind of silver/aluminum-looking plastic look as good after years (and 181K miles) of abuse.

And I'm glad my TL doesn't have it either (the shiny stuff is all real aluminum). Unfortunately, the new Accord does have some of the treatment that I detest (Climate control buttons in picture below, the rest appears to be similar to TL's), but still not as bad as a lot of cars out there, and it is gun metal finished (slightly less prone to showing scratches than bright silver finish).

Only the basic shape of the dash is similar to 5-series. The design is all Honda, with controls placed logically (it is lacking some symmetry that was seen in the past) and having dedicated functions to buttons improves usability (a Honda tradition). The downside to it is additional buttons. But I would take more buttons to a few as most would once they realize the strengths. Just see the proliferation of real keyboards on cell phones now, makes it much easier to text.

BMW goes with the dreaded i-Drive function that virtually requires attention off the road. Honda's MMI interface (in Accord and RL) is similar but doesn't integrate everything into it, just the features you should be using when parked anyway).

I also noticed (in one of the spy pictures) that Hyundai is going with iDrive-like control at the same location (in Genesis).

One of interiors that virtually everybody raves about can be seen in Audis. I detest them from usability point of view, but can't recall anybody calling them cluttered or too small (they are located well below appropriate line of vision to boot).
    What I am going to say maybe shocking but...

I don't like Audi interiors.

I had an A4 for 2 weeks and it's nothing to phone home about. I also don't understand why virtually everybody raves about Audi interior. IMO Acura has the best interior design and is miles ahead of Audi.

Back to Accord. I too don't mind buttons, I actually like dedicated function buttons because I value simplicity. I was dissapointed that Honda moved away from touch screen to the i-drive like joystick with the RL. Apparently this design is here to stay by looking at the Accord.

Also, you are right, when I said the Accord interior looks like the 5-series I was talking about the general design shape, not the layout.
  • Back to Accord. I too don't mind buttons, I actually like dedicated function buttons because I value simplicity. I was dissapointed that Honda moved away from touch screen to the i-drive like joystick with the RL. Apparently this design is here to stay by looking at the Accord.

That is a double edged trade off...a touch screen requires eyes off road time because you have to look at it to make your selections, but the joystick can be hard for some people to use and manipulate, especially if you push in to enter.
    But with the joystick one still has to look at the screen in order to see what he/she is doing right? The touch screen is like a one step process and joystick is two:

Touchscreen: I simply touch the icon.
    Joystick: I move the cursor to the icon then press enter.

Same reason why I like gated shifter over the column one.
    I find touchscreen to be extremely handy in my TL. However, the features I use on it are largely navigation related, which drivers are advised to use when completely stopped.

For the rest of it, voice commands come in handy (unless the moon roof or windows are open or have someone in the car talking).

The MMI is a solution to taking out some buttons that aren't normally needed or will generally be combined into multi-purpose buttons anyway. For example, Bass/Treble or Balance/Fade control. Other than that I think the MMI will find its use mostly with NAV selection (again, I prefer to use voice commands when driving, and touch screen when stopped).
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    And I was recently offered $3.5K for it. But this car is a part time limo for my dog.

I'll offer you 4K for it if you bring it to Southern CA for me right away!
    How about return airfare? I'm not going to walk 1800 miles to home. :D
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    How about you rent a 2008 Accord 1-way to get a real nice test drive experience?
    Touch screens, joysticks???

Don't know anything about either or what you do with them, but both sound overly complex. I prefer what I guess would be considered primitive simple controls.

I think I'd run away screaming from this:

as well as this:

While this:

does not instantly appear frightening, it is also not anything I would want.