Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    I wholeheartedly agree. Honda is putting way too many buttons on the center stack and in odd positions IMO. Fortuntately most of the important ones are duplicated on the steering wheel which I find very convenient. I know the Honda stack sits in a high easy to read and easy to view position. But what's the point of that if all the buttons are too hard to find at first glance?

Has Honda or Toyota put the climate controls on the steering wheel yet as Ford has?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Putting climate control buttons on the steering wheel is a waste. I rarely adjust the climate control as I suspect *most* people rarely adjust them.
  • There is an issue with the priority of controls. My '93 Accord had 3 buttons - hazzard, defrost, and fog across the top, then the radio, then the climate control. Cruise was on the wheel once activated by a button on the dash (I thought the "enable" button on the dash was silly, but okay).

Now that the car audio system has more computing power than my old Mac Plus and electronic climate control - something that was supposed to be simpler - seems to have more buttons than a home stereo remote. We are at the low point of an evolution cycle right now. The system can be electronic, but knobs for climate control are still a better interface, IMHO.

I think the great thing about the old Accord was the important things were BIG and at the TOP. In both the Legacy and the new Accord, I can't find the rear defrost without looking for it (and in both cars its at the bottom of the console). This is not user-centered design.

Still not as bad as the '90s Sienna where the audio system was at the bottom of the console and you couldn't read the display from the driver's seat. Heck, if you were shorter than about 5'8" you couldn't even reach it from the driver's seat.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I'd rather have this:

rather than touch screens, joysticks, dozens of buttons, etc...
  • The main VW complaint is who is the genius that made both the speedometer and the tachometer have the same scale? If they just made the tachometer x1000 instead of x100, I would be cool with it. And to make matters worse, the spacing is about the same between markings on the two dials.
    That particular VW looks like a base 2.5 Rabbit, I thought they had controls for at least the audio on the wheel.
    BTW - VW's sunroof dial is one of the greatest things since sliced bread. You just turn it to where you want it, and it opens that much and stops automatically.
  • Hey I found someone that agrees, and uses the same example:
    VW display
    That photo is actually 2005 Jetta "value edition", which is what my wife drives. I'd assume base rabbit is the same, but they may have upgraded some things.

I don't have that much problem with the numbers on tach and speedo being the same, though I'd rather have the tach be X1000, like most are. However, the speedometer is hard for me to read for some reason, my wife has no problem with it...so I guess if I drove it all the time it would be okay. (it also reads about 5 mph high)
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Nothing can beat this for simplicity and ergonomics. Still one of the best looking interiors I've ever seen.

I couldn't agree more. It holds up well too. This is my interior after 165k miles.

Doesn't have the great lighting of your picture, but it still looks good to be 12 years old!
  • Nothing can beat this for simplicity and ergonomics. Still one of the best looking interiors I've ever seen.

For the most part, I agree, however there are a few caveats.
    1. Why did they put the climate control above the radio. The radio has a display that you need to be able to read while you are driving. The closer it is to the FOV out the window, the better. Also, the climate control has fantastic big knobs that are easy to reach without looking, even more reason for them to be lower.

2. Why do you need to hit a switch buried on the dash to activate the cruise? It has been correct in the '03+ as its now on the wheel with the rest of the cruise controls.

3. Why is the sunroof control no-where near the sunroof? Why do I have to hold the button down to open it?

Nit-picky - probably, but that is how things improve. Its all about Kaizen.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Simplicity is great, but people want all these new gadgets, and with them come more buttons to operate them. My 03 Accord only has two things I would change. First, I don't really have a problem with where the moonroof button is located, but I do wish it was an auto open and close, so I didn't have to hold it down. Second, I like leather seats, but would rather them not be power operated. I find manual seats easier, and quicker. In 08 I think they solved the moonroof button problem (not sure), but screwed up the A/C vent placement. And it will probably be freezing in hell before they have manually operated leather seats. Life will never be perfect, I guess.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Putting climate control buttons on the steering wheel is a waste. I rarely adjust the climate control as I suspect *most* people rarely adjust them.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I don't see that funtionality as a waste but rather a convenience. The standard Ford HVAC system uses 3 large dials and a couple of buttons, as praised above by some, and the auto system uses all buttons. You can only get the steering wheel buttons if you get the auto HVAC system. Since it is harder for most to operate small buttons rather than large knobs it makes perfect sense to duplicate the common functions on the steering wheel when you opt for the auto HVAC system.

If you don't adjust your HVAC often then you are lucky. In this neck of the woods it's not unusual for the temp to drop 10-20 degrees in a matter of minutes in the Spring, Fall and Winter so adjustments are frequent enough that you'd want an easy to operate HVAC system.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I don't see that funtionality as a waste but rather a convenience. The standard Ford HVAC system uses 3 large dials and a couple of buttons, as praised above by some, and the auto system uses all buttons. You can only get the steering wheel buttons if you get the auto HVAC system. Since it is harder for most to operate small buttons rather than large knobs it makes perfect sense to duplicate the common functions on the steering wheel when you opt for the auto HVAC system

In the Ford, the HVAC buttons are placed farther away from the driver, so I can see where steering wheel controls would be needed there. In the Accord the Auto Climate control temperature knob is the closest to the driver, so putting controls on the steering wheel is unnecessary. Doesn't the Auto Climate Control adjust for the varying temperature? I thought that's what it's for?
    Simplicity is great, but people want all these new gadgets, and with them come more buttons to operate them.

Oh, most certainly people do want that stuff. I realize that I am not in the mainstream on that at all.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I set my auto temp control to 68 and be done with it. Have the compressor engaged switch set to auto all year 'round. As I suggested for me it's a waste, but hey...
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Speaking of gadgets and such I believe that integrated turn signals in the outside rear-view mirrors should be standardized and mandatory on all vehicles. Our 2007 Ford Fusion doesn't have this safety feature but I sure wish it did.
  • Speaking of gadgets and such I believe that integrated turn signals in the outside rear-view mirrors should be standardized and mandatory on all vehicles. Our 2007 Ford Fusion doesn't have this safety feature but I sure wish it did.

Many Euro cars are required to have repeaters on the sides. I actually retrofitted these to my Contour (the Mondeo has them where the 24v badge sits). The US spec says something about how the turn signals have to be visible to the side to a certain angle, but I don't think its as effective. It also looks cool. :D
  • mz3smz3s Posts: 17
    Doesn't the Auto Climate Control adjust for the varying temperature?

I happen NOT to like auto control. Either its a blast of cold air in your face or steaming hot air sweating out my feet. Gimme knobs with printed temps instead of blue and red and lets call it a day.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Yes, there is something to be said for simple. I like this dash, plain though it is. It's ergonomically simple (note how the main controls are canted towards the driver), has solid and smooth controls (damped, with rubber grips on the HVAC knobs), and high-quality plastics (mostly padded). De-contenting has not affected dashboards on mid-sized cars in a good way over the past few years, IMO.

Have you tried this feature (Auto Climate Control)? You set it to the temperature you like, and you're basically done. Sure, if the cars been sitting in the sun, on a 98 degree day, you may have to initially turn it up to cool off quicker, but after that, nothing could be simpler. If you're getting a blast of cold air in your face, or steaming hot air on your feet, you need to adjust the temperature, or the vents. :confuse: