Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    The Fusion's grille and current dash aren't favorites of mine, either. I much prefer the Milan's styling (the dashes are pretty close). Word is the cars (Fusion at least) will get some styling tweaks for '09.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Fusion gets a facelift for '10....'09 models get relativity small changes one of them being that the SEL I4 loses its Manual transmission and there is a new Appearance Pkg. that includes blue cloth or leather. Amongst other functional changes.

The '10 facelift will be much much more significant.
    I seem to recall the '10 Fusion will be out early in 2009, is that what you have heard?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Sounds about right...either appearing at LA or Detroit! I can't wait to see it...though I'll probably be in my new Accord or new Sonata by that time
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,266
    Max, pardon my ignorance but I could not identify the 13 cars in the photos except for the Malibu at the top and the Aura at the bottom and the black Sonata in the middle. Could someboardie please label them from top to bottom?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,719
    The 2009 Fusion goes on sale in June with minimal changes. The 2010 model rolls off the line in December, on sale in January 2009. It should be revealed at the LA auto show later this year. Ford is really keeping this one close to the vest - there are no un-camo'd spy shots as of yet. But someone saw one and said it looks like a totally different car.

It will offer updated drivetrains including a Hybrid and a new interior in addition to the exterior tweaks.
    Totally different? I'd be very surprised if they changed anything between the A and C pillars--that is very expensive, and the Fusion is less than 3 years old. I think Ford will just tweak the front end, and the rear a bit. They can do a lot cosmetically in the rear just changing the trunk lid and tail lights. Put some new wheels on it and a new dash, upgrade the powertrains, and Presto! the all-new 2010 Fusion.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It would be great if each pic had a caption beneath it. Much easier to respond to the challenge that way. :)
  • prosource1prosource1 Posts: 234
    Very impressive interior. The car was $16,800 (with rebate and discounts) 175 hp, XM, smooth and very quiet and pretty much loaded. 22/32 mileage. This may be too much of a deal to pass up when we put the daughters Olds to rest. Impressed.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,822
    i agree the the front end of the fusion is a bit too 'blingy'. on my car, i think the 'black chrome' grille would look better.
    i think the styling around the rear doors on the chyslers, is just wrong.
    one of our friends just got a new sonata. it looks pretty good from the side and back. wheels look good, but i would hate to clean them(too many spokes). haven't seen the front, yet.
  • bshumanbshuman Posts: 1
    I am cosidering the Sonata purchase now. The V-4 lists for $19320, invoice at $18500 less $1500 rebate. How did you negotiate down to $16800?
    Thanks,
    Brian
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    $16,800 would be $200 below the invoice price minus rebate for the I4 you have in mind and should be easily doable. Call the internet department at the dealer and ask for their best price. If it's above $16,800, tell them that is what you'll pay (and mean it). Towne Hyundai in New Jersey is currently $2101 below invoice on 2009 Sonatas before the rebate, so your dealer has a LOT more wiggle room than $200.

There's a lot of info in the forum regarding negotiations. Have you done a search?
    Don't forget the destination charge, which makes the list price of the Sonata GLS I4 5AT with no options $19,995. Also, in many states there is a $500 loyalty rebate on the Sonata in addition to the $1000-1500 general rebate.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,647
    In DFW they're giving $5000 total off list on 2008s.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    That doesn't sound like a tremendous deal considering what the 2009s are going for ($2000 under invoice).
    Not everyone is selling 2009 Sonatas for $2000 under invoice, before rebates (which is what I assume you meant, since $2000 under invoice after rebates is no big deal). That is a "best case" scenario that is available in a few places in the country, but not your everyday deal.

Still, since there's a $3000 general rebate on the 2008s right now, I'd expect there's still room to bargain on $5000 off list.
    Right... pretty much on all points. :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    At Brad Benson Hyundai in New Jersey, they are offering $5000 off MSRP on all new Hyundai's. I wonder if this includes the 2009 Sonata.
    What I am wondering is if it includes Accents and Elantras! ;)
    How does a $6,000 Accent sound to ya? :)
    Well, not quite mid-sized, but $10k for a new Elantra (mid-sized inside) sounds pretty nice!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,013
    listed in Edmunds comparison tool shows the Malibu to have a 40.4 ft turning circle vs the Mazda6 at 38.7 ft. Before I bought my current Mazda6 I read all the reviews I could find and it seems like every review found fault with the large turning radius of the car. I don't recall any reviewers slamming the Malibu for an even larger turning circle.

BTW, the Sonata's is only 35.8 ft.
    Hmmm... some sources put the Malibu's turning circle at 40 feet. But some put it at 36 feet. Are there different ways to measure turning circle?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Hmmm... some sources put the Malibu's turning circle at 40 feet. But some put it at 36 feet. Are there different ways to measure turning circle?

The 4 cyl and the 6 cyl might use different steering racks, like in the Accords (the 4cyl has a tighter turning circle than the V6 prior to 2008).

I think the VW Vanagon and the Toyota Van of the 80s, where the front wheels were under the driver's tushie, seemed to have pretty incredible turning circles if the front overhang cleared the curb.
    Cars.com specs put Malibu Turning Radius at 20.2 ' which would obviously be 40.4' turning circle.

The Car Connection specs put it at 40.4' also.

New Car Test Drive also shows 40.4'.

I pulled up the 4cyl each time. Don't know if the 6cyl stats are different.

Anyway, I think it's a good example of how things work in the review world. A reviewer just happens to pick up on something and everyone else just apes it. Similarly, if the first few reviewers don't really notice something, it may go unreported entirely.

I remember test driving a Sonata and the salesman pointed out the tight turning radius and I was impressed with it. I don't mind the turning radius(38.7') on my Mazda6 but all the reviewers sure did. It just seemed strange that they all thought it was too large on the 6 but never mention it on the Malibu. This among other things has proven to me that all these "professional" reviews must really be taken with a grain of salt and the only test drive that really matters is your own.
  • karsickkarsick Posts: 312
    FWIW-

My last car, an Infiniti G20t, had a h u g e turning radius... Annoying when parking, but I assume was also part of the reason the CV joints & axles lasted over 250k miles.

I sure wouldn't let that one spec keep me from buying a car I liked.
    I sure wouldn't let that one spec keep me from buying a car I liked

Nor I. I like to do the pluses and minuses and that's just one of the minuses. Like I said, it sure didn't stop me from buying the M6 even though the reviewers had problems with it. Slight adjustment is all when parking mostly.

The G20T was a nice looking little car. Wish Infiniti had not stopped making it. It was ahead of it's time and with gas prices what they are people would probably be willing to pay for the luxury in a small package. Although the Cimmaron didn't do well in the 70s when we had the last gas crisis. The G20T and the Cimmaron are obviously different cars; quality and looks especially.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Some 6 owners have commented on the difficulty parking in tight spots. I haven't heard of Malibu owners complaining about this,,,yet. A lot of things affect turning radius, like engine type, engine placement, suspension, size of the wheels and tires, and the width of the car. Doesn't help if the car is narrow, and the engine is large. They want to have a low center of gravity (better handling and stability), so they lower the engine, but other things, like turning radius, are compromised.
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    I did notice that my turning radius didn't seem much worse in my Sonata vs older Elantra. That elantra had a pretty slick 33' radius. Being in something with a 40' radius would have probably made me go insane when doing u-turns/3-points. I wonder what differences in design/wheelbase cause a 4.5' difference comparing midsize sedans.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Some 6 owners have commented on the difficulty parking in tight spots

Add me to that list.

While my 2005 Mazda6 has some short comings, I still love it, and I am not looking to replace it.