Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    I guess tonight could be our Crew World Series party since last night's game makes me think there's a slim chance the Series might not last until next Thursday! :P

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Accord History

1985 Honda Accord
    Wheelbase 102.36 in
    Length: 178.50 in
    Width: 66.92 in
    Curb Wt. 2200 lbs

2008 Honda Accord
    Wheelbase 110.2 in
    Length: 194.1 in
    Width: 72.7 in
    Curb Wt. 3300 lbs

2008 Honda Civic
    Wheelbase (in.) 106.3
    Length (in.) 176.7
    Width (in.) 69
    Curb Wt. 2700 lbs

Wow! The Civic is now nearly the same size as the Accord used to be.

How large is large enough for a midsize car? Is the current Accord and similar size cars too small, too large, or just right?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    See what happened with Focus. It had a high predicted reliability when it first arrived, right?

Predicted by whom? Not by CR. They would never have predicted high reliability for a brand-new model from Ford, back when the Focus debuted, or now. But with Ford improving, maybe they'll get the "magic pass" sometime in the future.

A prediction is only good if things remain fairly constant. With Toyota's reliability falling off (several indications of this besides the trouble with the V6 Camry), and given they have been a leader in reliability for many years, it's just not a good idea for anyone to predict high reliability for a brand-new design from any car maker these days.
  • I agree with that too. The only thing is it is easier for her to get in a car that's higher up. My aunt (who has an Odyssey and is pining for a CR-V - she thinks they are "the cutest thing!")wants her to test a CR-V. That may be a good idea.

The CR-V might be a lot higher up. I definitely remember having to step up to get in. You might also look at the Suabrus. The Outback models have slightly different suspensions and silly tires and wheels that make them a little higher to help egress. I think my mom is leaning towards one of those.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Predicted by whom? Not by CR. They would never have predicted high reliability for a brand-new model from Ford, back when the Focus debuted, or now.

Go back a few posts and you will see someone posting Focus being rated high initially by CR (in 2000). Those aren't my words, and since I don't have subscription to CR, can't validate that either.

That said, do other cars get predicted reliability ratings from CR? Or, was it limited only to Camry?
    1985 Accord was a subcompact to barely a compact, not a midsize. Do you think that size would sell today in a family sedan? How about the engine?
    Focus as a car was and still is rated highly by CR. But not in terms of reliability. Predicted reliability is a separate assessment from how they rank a car vs. others.

You can find CR at your local library and see how it rates cars and reports on predicted reliability (no, it's not just on the Camry)--no subscription to CR is needed.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    1985 Accord was a subcompact to barely a compact, not a midsize. Do you think that size would sell today in a family sedan?

Using the Civic which is now 1985 Accord sized as an example then yes they sell, and yes they are used by families.

What size do you believe is required for "family" use? For the purpose of this discussion, using a family of four as a standard.

Midsize car such as Malibu or Camry? Are they too small for four North Americans? :surprise:
    If Accord were to sell in Civic volume, Civic would be selling in Fit volume, and Honda would be owned by another company. Thats the reality. Here is more.

Fit is somewhere between the first Accord (about half foot shorter) and first generation Civic (about half foot longer). Civic is about the size of an Accord from 25 years ago. If you think these two sizes are sufficient for American family sedan duties, then you need to look around. Accord outsells Civic and Fit combined.

Is there an automaker that you know would gladly dismiss one of its midsizers and make a living by selling subcompact to compact cars for family vehicle duties?

IMO, a car with good room for four, and decent cargo room makes for a good family car. It doesn't need to be as big as Taurus. And it cannot be Civic-sized either. Cars like Mazda6 are borderline acceptable. Take an average, and you just might find solid offerings from all automakers.
    Is there any other car that has (or has had) a high "predicted" reliability from CR besides the Camry?
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    As a family sedan, Accord is okay at where it is - borderline between midsize and large sedan. However, it shouldn't keep growing with every iteration IMO, where is it going to stop? Civic can go up to the lower end of the midsize category since Honda now has Fit to take care of the small car market.

The only way to stop this trend is for us American to stop getting fatter and fatter. :surprise:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Is there any other car that has (or has had) a high "predicted" reliability from CR besides the Camry?

It sounded like all new Toyota models were given the benefit of the doubt in the past, not just the Camry. I would assume Honda gets the same treatment but can't confirm that.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Looking at the Odyssey minivan's reliability (typically reported as average), I'd assume otherwise. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I would assume Honda gets the same treatment but can't confirm that.

Honda does for the most part. They recommend almost every new vehicle they put out. When the RDX came out, it was recommended ASAP.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Looking at the Odyssey minivan's reliability (typically reported as average

Maybe because the 2nd gen Odyssey's were totally inconsistent, and had the faulty transmission bug. I don't know if the 3rd gen's have been much better. However, an Odyssey is still better then most van's.

Yes, several. The easiest way to see this is look at the April "auto issue" (at your local library), and there's a bunch of tables that show both CR's reliability "verdicts" of the car as a used car, and their predicted reliability for the car as new. Looks like CR is going to publish an update in their next issue, based on results of their latest survey. This is the survey in which the Camry V6 took a hit. I posted the best and worst family cars from that update a few days ago.
    What I would like to know is which (new) cars get high marks on predicted reliability that is not a Toyota (or Honda, if you prefer). Aren't there any? Haven't there been any?
    As I just said, I posted this info a few days ago (6464). For your convenience, here's a copy/paste from that post:

Most Reliable-listed in ratings order, starting with the best score
    Toyota Prius
    Honda Accord (2007)
    Hyundai Sonata (4-cyl.)
    Toyota Camry Hybrid*
    Ford Fusion
    Mercury Milan

(* means rating is based on one model year)

These are the family cars (CR's classification) that are the highest scoring in reliability, based on CR's latest survey. All but the Accord are the same designs for 2008 as for 2007. I think CR gave the Accord a high predicted reliability rating for 2008, even though it's a new design. We'll see if that comes back to haunt them, like when they said the 2007 Camry would have high reliability, and the V6 models didn't measure up to that prediction based on the survey results.
    You know Hyundai targets value with Sonata. I think it is getting redesigned next year(?). If I were to ask you, would you say (predict) that it will continue to target value? What criteria did you use?

Next question. When Hyundai launches Genesis, do you expect it to target value?

Back to reliability. Assume that 2008 Sonata does well in reliability score. If CR puts predicted reliability on 2009 Sonata as recommended, it will not be something unexpected to me. But, I must ask, would you then say that they are showing bias for Hyundai by putting recommendation on a new model?
    I think Hyundai will increasingly highlight the quality and reliability of its vehicles such as the Sonata (note it's now the #2 mid-sized sedan per CR in reliability, behind only the previous-gen Accord), while it continues to emphasize value compared to brands like Toyota and Honda. You asked for my prediction, my opinion, and that's it. Why? Simply, why not use all the weapons at your disposal in a war, instead of just one?

Genesis isn't a mid-sized family car.

Since the 2009 Sonata will be a refresh (e.g. new front fascia, new dash, tweaks of existing engines) and not a redesign, I can see that a reliability recommendation for 2008 would carry over to 2009. But when the Sonata is redesigned (2011 or 2012 MY?), then I would hope CR would wait to see how the new design holds up--just as it should have waited on the redesigned Camry, and the redesigned Accord.