Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Car and Driver (and I) beg to differ. They call the outgoing Accord, and I quote

"the everyman's car that bonds with enthusiasts...the powertrain is marvelous. It has torque, it is hot-blooded for revs...at redline the exhaust note snarls, a lively contrast to the other cars, which have nothing to offer but a rising crescendo of whirs, hums, and buzzes. Would you buy a sedan from the same guys who engineered the NSX? Of course you would...

I haven't driven a 2008 Accord, but this account of the outgoing 4-cyl model ring true for me!
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I pity those guys. It seems they write these articles more out of frustration than to provide a fair view. Perhaps it is a result of insecurity of some sort. I've talked about and against "soul" in cars. But the term appliance, often an attempt to downplay success, makes more noise.

Want appliance... you can't miss look no further than most cars that come out of Detroit.
  • chronochrono Posts: 149
    The more reviews I read about the 2008 Accord points to it being more of an appliance. Seems to have lost it's edge by getting bigger, heavier and softer. Looks like interior fit and finish isn't as good as before and road noise is still very noticeable.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/COL14/710250367
  • at redline the exhaust note snarls, a lively contrast to the other cars, which have nothing to offer but a rising crescendo of whirs, hums, and buzzes.

They must have a different one than me. You can't hear the engine in my car at all except when you turn it on. Its not slow or underpowered, I just don't understand why they are so afraid of people knowing there is an engine in the front of the vehicle and when you push the gas, the engine speeds up.
    Stop reading reviews, and start driving. I haven't driven the new Accord, but the points you made were the points made ten years ago as well. What happened? The larger, softer and heavier Accord is still an impressive car, for its ride quality and handling. Need proof?

Perhaps those freep/detroit news guys could take a few lessons on driving from C&D.
    I'm lost. What are you talking about? One of the best part about Hondas is that you can hear the engine well under throttle. Even better, that the sound is actually pleasing w/I-4 and w/V6.

For a big NO, try Altima 2.5 w/CVT next.
    The point the article was making was the new Accord took a step back while the competition has caught up or even surpassed it in several categories. The Accord is not so far ahead of the pack anymore. Actually looks like it's trying to keep up.

Traded in my 2005 Accord for a 07 Aura XR. Ride quality and handling to me is much more engaging. Proof that cars like the Fusion, Mazda6 and Aura have won over enthusiasts from Honda.
  • I'm lost. What are you talking about? One of the best part about Hondas is that you can hear the engine well under throttle. Even better, that the sound is actually pleasing w/I-4 and w/V6.

I think that is definitely true of my '93. I liked the sound of that 2.2l 4 cylinder, especially going through the rev band in 3rd gear. It had a very connected feel. The '07 I don't hear anything, I don't even feel much; the car just goes faster (and it goes faster, faster too). The '05 Legacy you can hear and feel the engine working (even a little coarse sometimes). Its just a much more connected feel.
    Again, those very same points were made ten years ago too. If you look closely, now and in the past (pick any period), Accord has never been at the top in anything except ownership cost, engine quality, ergonomics and may be dependability. When it comes to features, ride quality, handling etc, it usually finishes near top, never at the top.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up Aura and its handling, having rented it a few times, I haven't found it yet. If anything, it lacks steering feel and response (and if GM is further softening it for Malibu as rumors suggest, it is going to be even worse).

Accord's handling hidden are those of a car that doesn't scream handling on first glance. It is there, if you know and want to use it. I don't have much experience with 2003-2007 Accord, however (and none with 2008) but enough to know it still maintains those attributes.

Its got all that one needs to cruise at 80 mph without worries, even in cross winds, over bumps (no additional rebound) and with communicative steering (it lets you feel stuff that many cars dubbed "good handling" don't). Even with almost 182,500 miles on the odometer, my 1998 tracks straight at high speed so much so that all you do is hold the steering lightly without having to do anything, even over bumps. The ratio tightens up and it feels as solid as can be expected. Those little things are often missed by most. They go more for the glitter.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Regardless, it still has had only two model years, 2007MY which came out around April of 2006, and 2008MY.

Toyota is stopping production of the 2008 in Q1 next year, which is very weird, since the 08 has only been out for a very short months. Still, I think the 2009 will have minor cosmetic changes, if anything. We shall see.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Not yet have we seen a comparison of the new Accord verse more than the Camry.

I have a hunch (not a prediction, just a hunch), that the car mags are waiting for the new Malibu to do their next midsized sedan comparo. It will make for a much more interesting story line to pit the all-new Accord against the new Malibu. Although maybe the Camry won't make some comparos, like C/D's, because it finished so low in its last comparo (behind the old Accord, the new Altima, and the Optima). So C/D might do the Accord vs. Malibu, and maybe the Altima and Optima. MT will probably include the Camry since it was their COTY last year. And as we know, Edmunds.com is planning a big face-off of the Accord, Camry, and Malibu in late November, using drivers they pick from contest entries. CR will undoubtedly do a test including the Accord and Malibu as soon as they can. So hold on, the comparos will be coming soon.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    So, they may call it a 2010 model early in 2009.

I don't know about you guys, but, after having bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and having a joyful time with it, I have wondered about a new Galant re-design from Mitsubishi coming along. And what does robertsmx provide a few short minutes later as I was reading up on all of the posts in this thread the past 5 days I've been busy at work?

He posts a link to these pictures from Mitsu! Concepts, yes, but I can see the Lancer's nose in this new Galant. This is the new design direction from Mitsubishi and it has grabbed me by the shorthairs to take notice, uh-huh.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    Again, those very same points were made ten years ago too. If you look closely, now and in the past (pick any period), Accord has never been at the top in anything except ownership cost, engine quality, ergonomics and may be dependability.

Actually, the Accord had quite a bit of value compared to it's peers at one point. It really had a quality advantage that many other cars did not have maybe 10-15 years ago. But now that Consumer Reports and Jd Powers have shown that the difference in problems over 5 years for most of the cars in this class is around 1 additional problem from the most reliable to the least, that advantage is gone. And at the same time, initial purchase price being thousands more than many competitors with quality just as good to the Accord and in some cases better, Honda no longer has the advantage it once had. Yes, it is still a very good car and one that I would consider if I were in the market.... but I'd have to agree with those who have pointed out that the Accord seems to have softened in the current generation and that is a change I don't welcome.

Accord's handling hidden are those of a car that doesn't scream handling on first glance. It is there, if you know and want to use it. I don't have much experience with 2003-2007 Accord, however (and none with 2008) but enough to know it still maintains those attributes.

While I think the 03-07 Accord had decent handling compared to the previous gen Altima and Sonata, compared to the Legacy and Mazda6 it is not nearly as connected without increasing ride quality by a similar amount. Steering feel of the v-6 coupe I test drove was nowhere near as direct or confidence inspiring as the Subaru or Mazda. And why you're talking about your 98 Honda's handling in this forum (which is about new cars last I checked) doesn't make sense to me. Should I talk about my 81 Accord and make a point about how underpowered and unsafe it was?
    Completely agree with zzzoom6. Competition is has caught up and now there are many winners to choose from.

Obviously your opinion of the Aura is that, just an opinion. Steering is very direct with a nice weighted feel, not light and over boosted like my old Accord. Handling is very good while being compliant over bumps. It won Car of the Year and beat out the Camry SE in the Autoweek comparo for many reasons. Seems like the Aura has proven itself to a great deal of auto enthusiasts to me.

And seriously, this discussion is about current midsize cars. The reviews related to this discussion point to the current model year of each midsize car. If your stuck in a time warp that's fine but can we stick to the topic? It's like having someone compare an old E36 BMW to all the new luxury sports sedans in the market and saying how much better it is. Who does that?
  • i bought a '07 mazda 6 4 cyl, man trans. Before I bought I drove the civic, altima, and camry, figuring they were all contenders. Now I'm somewhat prejudiced since I had a '97 mazda 626 with 150,000 mi and no maintenance other than routine. The 6 is pretty nimble and with the man trans pretty quick(or seems that way). For the price I think it has the most bang for your buck. ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I'm curious, why did you look at the Civic vs. the Accord, when all the other cars you looked at were mid-sized? Plus there are/were real good deals available on the '07 Accords now.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    The Accord is not so far ahead of the pack anymore. Actually looks like it's trying to keep up.

You're basing that on that one article. What about all the other road tests that say the Accord is still the target to shoot for? The Aura couldn't even best the last Accord in C/D's last comparison test. I don't see Mr. Phelan being any more influential than the enthusiasts at C/D.

Sales of the Aura are disappointing. Just because you went from an Accord to an Aura doesn't prove anything.

I happen to test drive an Aura when I had my Audi in for service. I don't understand what all the hoopla is with this car; not only was it a big disappointment compared to my Audi, it was even one compared to my last Accord.

Hey, you like the Aura and that's great.
    Obviously your opinion of the Aura is that, just an opinion. Steering is very direct with a nice weighted feel, not light and over boosted like my old Accord.

Really? IMO, Aura's steering is one of its shortcomings. And which generation of Accord are you talking about that has, apparently, overboosted steering? Based on my experience, Aura is Pontiac G6 with additional frills/aesthetic fixes, much like Milan is to Fusion. The only thing I like about in Aura is its auto transmission, and it could use better (real world) fuel economy.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Gm is known for rebadges but the Aura is FAAR more than an additional thrills/ aestetic fix over the G6. While they may share the same platform, they are far far more different the the Milan/Fusion or even the Milan/Fusion vs. the MKZ.

that's like saying the Accord and Acura TL are the same outside of aestheic fixe/additional frills.

The Aura is a far better and more refined car than the G6 is.