Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Both need to be updated.

Good point. I agree.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I agree, the new Taurus/Sable have pretty nice interiors, but the Fusions seem to use lower grade materials.

My mother in law has a 2004 Maxima, and it is not all that nice either. Her previous Maxima (1998) had nicer materials and build quality.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My mother in law has a 2004 Maxima, and it is not all that nice either. Her previous Maxima (1998) had nicer materials and build quality.

Yep, my buddy's '97 (same car you mom-in-law's '98) is a base model, but has quality that is dang good, especially considering it's age.

It isn't all that great ergonomically, especially with that tiny fan speed knob, but it has no major flaws in fit or finish. It DOES have one flaw otherwise though; it's a horrible camel color that is somewhere between tan and yellow. In the brochure for 1997, I believe the color choices were black, grey, and blaeksch (the sound made when viewing the color).

I have driven the car once or twice and noticed it has steering lighter than any vehicle I've ever piloted. It was accurate enough, but very VERY light and quite numb as well.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    but the Fusions seem to use lower grade materials.

What is your point of reference? S, SE or SEL trims? Camel with fake wood or black/light stone with piano black trim?

There is a big difference between a S or SE Camel interior vs. a SEL in black or light stone with the piano black accents.

Check out the 2009 Flex (which is a step-up from the Taurus/Sable interiors) for a better clue as to the future Fusion interiors.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I believe they are base 4 cyl's with a carbon fiber like dash trim. I think the interior's are gray or black? We also have one V6 in Red with a beige interior with leather and larger alloy wheels.

They are all out right now, so I cannot confirm what models they are.
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    alright, so what car company overall has the best reliability/interior.

personally the new accord's interior looks massively cluttered. if i had a choice now i'd buy an "optioned up" 07 for the price of an 08.

The camry is definitely out of the question after my experience with it.

Never owned a VW before. I just presumed that they were reliable because i see all those old VW bugs and "hippie vans" (dont know what they're called) still driving around.
  • Never owned a VW before. I just presumed that they were reliable because i see all those old VW bugs and "hippie vans" (dont know what they're called) still driving around.

Don't confuse durability with reliability.

Also, those cars were more related to lawnmowers in their complexity, where as now they are more like aircraft.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,052
    >i see all those old VW bugs and "hippie vans" (dont know what they're called) still driving around.

In old days they had to stop along the road to adjust the valves if they drove their bug very far.
    how about Saab's?
  • Same boat...my uncle loves them, he put like 200k on a 900s, then got a newer 900 T, then got a 9-3 and just got another 9-3. They feel like little vaults. Both 900s got new manual transmissions, haven't heard much about the 9-3s.
    so i just got a copy of the new consumer reports *cough*notINhardCOPY :)*cough*. CR recommends the new passat. does very well in reliability. have a look.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5839/passatqm9.jpg

copy paste the link, tall picture, didnt want to clutter the forums.
    Thanks for the post. Sounds like the Passat most people buy and can afford, the 2.0L, is "much lower" in reliability according to CR. That's a shame.
    Well i think you can say that for all kinds of cars. Usually the more expensive version of the car is more reliable. for the jetta CR says "Reliability of the turbo and turbodiesel has been average." then it goes on to say the 2.5 liter i5 sucks.

Both 2.0T's in the A3 and A4 recieved "average" rating by CR.

I mean here's how i see it. People who buy base model cars sometimes dont keep their cars in as good condition as people who buy the more expensive version. Sort of like the Chvey v Buick example. If you know you spend 38k on your car you're gonna baby it for a long time versus spending 20k on your car. See where i'm going with this? Honestly though, i believe if you take care of the car it'll last, american, german, japanese, korean. If you take good care of it, it'll take good care of you. Granted, japanese models seem to care less about getting cared for.

edit: if you want me to look up ratings just post asking for them and i'll put them up asap.
    Posting the ratings won't be necessary, but I actually carry a different viewpoint on the ratings. I feel like people who don't have lots of money to drop on a new car will take care of the one they do have. My grandmother could buy and sell me, but doesn't really take care of her car. I am in college, and in the career path I'm in don't look forward to lots of money right off the bat, so I'm babying my car to make it last for many miles.

An interesting note, the Camry V6 is more unreliable than the 4-cylinder. This is heavily due to the transmission issue though, I presume.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    So the 2.0T is more reliable when installed in a Jetta than when it is installed in a Passat :confuse: .

I'd need to see some proof that the more expensive versions are normally more reliable. I tend to think that the cars owned by younger buyers (eg. Jetta) get lower reliability because those buyers tend to be more unreliable than older folks in terms of how they maintain and drive them.

To get back to the midsize category, the three that appear to have the most younger buyers are Altima, Mazda6, and Legacy. These have, respectively, 37%, 39%, and 46% in the 16-35 age range, according to JD Power.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    What is a "Legacy"? :confuse:
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Prior to the acquisition of our family's present cars, Accord, Elantra, and Camry in that order, we drove (and, in one case, still drive) SAABs. I've never owned a new primarily GM-influenced SAAB, but rather the old Classic 900 SAABs - a 1985 900 (which is still a daily driver) and a 1987 900S. Built like a tank and very, very durable. Reliability? This depends on the owner, and preventive maintenance. In the case of our 1985 900, its power train (both engine and transmission) is still going strong, and does not burn any oil. The only thing that seems to keep me under the car is replacing the exhaust system - about once every 5 years, and front brake pads, otherwise it's very reliable. No head gasket problems or timing chain problems either. And, FWIW, the parts cost on the SAAB are cheaper than our old Grand Caravan or any of the current Asian cars!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    It's a mid size sedan, of course...Subaru Legacy
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    SAAB parts cheaper than Dodge or Asian models??? I have little experience with SAABs other than a friend who had to replace a radiator, a front head-light and a key FOB on a year 2000 model. I don't know exact prices, but the radiator cost 2-3 times as much as a Honda radiator, the headlight was outrageously expensive and the key FOB was something like $300.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    If you read the article, it says the V6 Passat is recommended by CR. The 2.0T's reliability is "much lower" than that of the V6, thus CR can't recommend it yet. That is the same thing CR said in their April auto issue, and what I noted in my earlier post.