Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    You define value the way you want, but others may disagree.

You stole my words from a previous post. :)

I don't know why you seem to be so upset at my attempts to compare prices of like-trim Malibus and Accords, in reply to your statement, "It is priced in the same price range as the Accord."

I don't know about you, but when someone responds to my post, as long as it doesn't include "you" in it (addressed to me), I see no reason for anything personal but a discussion around the topic on hand. A response isn't an indicator of being upset with someone.

If you want to think of a difference of $1800-$2800 as "close to", that's fine with me.

Ok... :confuse:

When I got my Accord, I was able to negotiate the price to about $1800 below MSRP, basically getting a $23K Accord for a little over $21K while having a $25K budget. Would that be possible if $1800 weren't "close"? If automakers are capable of giving up to $4K-5K off MSRP, you're questioning "closeness" of about half that amount here!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,694
    > $1800 below MSRP, basically getting a $23K Accord for a little over $21K
    $4K-5K off MSRP,

Wow. :) We've come a long way from the 03 Accord era when some people 'informed' :sick: me that Honda never had to have discounts, incentives, rebates, etc. ;)

This message has been approved.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    I'm not sure what your experience at getting a discount off MSRP on an Accord (not a 2008, right?) has to do with what we were discussing. Do you think that Chevy doesn't discount the Malibu? IMO, I think big discounts on both the 2008 Accord and Malibu will be hard to come by for awhile. But they'll come. The market is too competitive for anyone to sell a mid-sized family sedan at MSRP in any volume, for any length of time.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    The idea is to provide a perspective on how big (or small) the price difference is. Prices haven't changed much over last ten years, so the argument about old versus new is mute.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A changing market calls for changing business practices, no?

With Toyota flooding the market with incentive-laden Camrys (Camries?), Honda had to do something to keep its share of the market from its closest competitor, what is quickly beomcing the McDonald's of the car industry, Toyota.
    Did you mean "moot"?

Since people will be buying 2008 models as new cars now, I think it's appropriate to focus on those when comparing prices of the mid-sized sedans, not models from 10 years ago.

I think we've established the MSRP price difference between the Accord and Malibu is roughly $2000-3000, at least for the I4 models. I haven't looked at the V6 pricing yet; I'll leave that to you or someone else to do the comparison. Personally, I think the Malibu is priced right where it needs to be--still near the lower end of the market, but more than the old Malibu--now called the "Malibu Classic". Want a burger and fries with that? ;)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,694
    I was through the local Honda dealer's lot Sunday browsing the used cars. There were hoards of Accords; very few used cars.

This message has been approved.

• With upgraded 2.4 177hp) and 3.3 V6 cylinder(260hp) engines with enhanced fuel economy, revised suspension, standard 5 and 6 speed trannies and improved interior, Hyundai is addressing flat Sonata sales. I'm not sure the exterior is as crisp and clean. The new design, both interior and exterior has that 'Lexus knock-off' look. Interior is much improved! These figures come from infor from the Hyundai Dealer Convention.

http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=3522630&page=2

http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=3522630&page=1
  • New Sonata Video just released displaying enhancements to the 2009 Sonata.

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/index.html
  • exshomanexshoman Posts: 109
    Sorry, my Korean is a bit rusty. Do you have a direct link?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Hmm. The exterior looks worse IMO. I liked the way it looked before.

As for the interior, MUCH better IMO. But only with the nav. The non-nav interior pick has something that looks out of place under the main CP where the radio is however. Anyone know what that is and why they put it in such a place? I don't like things that look tacked on like that at all.

That being said, the exterior alone would probably keep me from buying one now. Add the tacked on looking thing under the CP, because I wouldn't want a nav system, and Hyundai would have a hard time selling me one of these. I'll reserve final judgement until I see one though.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Story here.

40+ mpg? Very impressive!

Being that we're now an SUV/CUV family I'd really like to see what Honda puts in their's for 2009 as that's when we'll need a new one.
  • If that's the same photo that has been floating around the net, the DIN-sized electronics device lower in the center stack that looks out of place is a taxi meter. This is a shot of a Korean taxi version.

I agree on the exterior - not as clean as the original. Give me the current exterior, and the new interior.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    I completely agree with backy on this... the Malibu seems to be a very good buy compared to the Accord and will likely be available for several thousands less than an Accord. Personally, I'm happy midsized sedans continue to improve as if offers consumers more choices. In years past, I doubt I would have considered anything from ford, saturn, or chevy, but now I'd have to agree with others on this forum that they are making some very good cars. I've owned 2 Accords in the past and they served me well... now that most cars in this segment are very reliable, it's refreshing that I'm not married to a brand anymore and am willing to consider other options.
    Keep in mind these are photos of the Korean market Sonata. The exterior, including grille and wheels, of the current home market Sonata are different than what we have here (interior is pretty much the same, except they have nav already). That is clear from the video posted above. So it's possible what we are seeing in these photos is not quite what we'll get here next spring. I hope we get the new interior but not the new grille and wheels--a little too fussy for my taste.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Nice!! 2.4L I4 177; 3.3L V6 260 and with improved fuel economy, that's getting efficient.

The interior is fantastic; the exterior will take a bit of time to get used to but concurring with Backy, let's see if we'd get a different one for the NA spec.

This perhaps is a better angle:

Thumbs up on the interior:

Maybe my problem with the new face is that there's nothing special about it. It looks to me like a cross between the previous-generation Passat, the Elantra, and the Sebring. At least the old face had some edginess to it, and was honest in its simplicity. And the wheels look just like the vent on my (rather cheap) Coleman outdoor grill. "Dislike" is too mild for those, IMO--"detest" is closer. :P

BTW, got a '07 Sonata SE rental tonight--silver with those slick 5-spoke alloys. Very tasteful. And a toasty heater--needed that tonight, with flurries in the air and a 40 mph north wind. Car was very stable and quiet in those conditions though.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    this is the future (maybe the reason why Honda discontinued the Accord Hybrid) with oil approaching $100.00 but this is going to be one slow car. Maybe 10 sec. 0-60 based on the 150hp, but also something that will feel quicker than it is (because of the torque). It kinda surprises me in that Honda didn't diesel a V6 and get something like MB does with their 3.2 6 cylinder, 200+hp and 400 lb. ft., a car that really does pretty well both in the drag races and at the fuel pump. 40 mpg? It should!
  • Since the Accord hybrid would get better mileage than the regular Accord,why would they discontinue the hybrid? I dont understand your justification for that.I submit that they should make all Honda's hybrids.At perhaps $4.00 per gallon approaching,who cares about acceleration? :confuse:
  • pmerk28pmerk28 Posts: 121
    That a midlevel Hyundai has a better interior than just about any of the American nameplates. I don't know why the domestics cannot make an interior like this.