Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Not sure what you are looking at, but they had ~$2000 or higher rebates available since about Nov 2006.

I am looking at my program sheets from the past 12 months. Mazda did not introduce a $2000 rebate until the July/August. Currently, there is now a $2,500 rebate on all 07's. There was a $1000 rebate for most of the year prior.

I got about an additional $1500 below that in Jan and a co-worker also got one at ~$5000 below MSRP in Feb or March.

Never saw such discounts up here, CT. My last 2007 Mazda6 was delivered last week, and sold for $200 below invoice plus the $2000 rebate. That was the cheapest we sold one. No area dealers, NY Region (CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MA), sells for $5000 off MSRP, that is why I find those deals hard to believe.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    My nearest Mazda dealer (Twin Cities area) has been running an ad for weeks with 2007 Mazda6es at $5100 off, including rebates. I know those prices are legit because they are a no-haggle dealership, so the price on the car is what you pay. Since that is with a no-haggle dealership, I expect it would be possible to get a little better deal at other area dealers with some hard negotiating.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I'm just saying in my neck of the woods, I, nor any other dealers that I know, practice that type of pricing. We don't have the incentives to go that low either.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    Because people wouldn't buy them otherwise. It's a way to pull in customers who might be hesitant about buying GM products.

Funny! Not true, but a good try

Actually, your wrong, it is absolutely 100% true that a vast majority of GM buyers would be hesitant to purchase a GM product if not for the long warranty.

Honda loses virtually no customers to a relatively shorter warranty.
    So why does Honda offer any warranty at all?
    They never break and no repairs, due to manufacturing defects, ever need to be done. Heck, I guess they don't even need a service department at the dealership, just an oil change pit.

Most of what you say is actually true! Believe it or not.

However, Honda has to compete with Toyota (a manufacturer who has competed in their ball park and playing field all along). Therefore, Honda can't get rid of their warranties unless Toyota does too.

Also... if they got rid of their warranties all together... a few customers might grow suspicious that they've hired too many former GM or Chrysler quality control personnel.
    So you are saying then that GM has increased its sales well over 50% since it introduced its longer warranty? :confuse:

Do you have any substantiation for either of your statements, or are they just opinions?
    Believe it or not.

OK, then. Not. :)
    So I will think of this example when someone says, "Honda and Toyota don't offer longer warranties because they don't have to." While that's partly true, the other side of it is that longer warranties would hurt their profit margins.

Well.... it might hurt Toyota and Honda's profit margins minutely. However, a 100K warranty is going to hurt Toyota and Honda a lot less than it is to GM and Chrysler.

Again, can someone at Chrysler please answer the question "Is the lifetime warranty based on the lifetime of the vehicle or the company?"
    I'm not saying GM sales have increased whatsoever due to the increased warranty length.

I'm implying and guessing that their sales plummet would have been far steeper, sharper, and even more dreadful if not for the increased warranty length.

I suppose it gained them a few new customers, but I'm thinking for the most part, it just may have saved a few MORE that were just about ready to defect to another more reliable brand.
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Again, can someone at Chrysler please answer the question "Is the lifetime warranty based on the lifetime of the vehicle or the company?"

I'll let you read what it says on the chrysler.com website:

The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty is the first of its kind to be offered by any automaker. Ever. Because with this warranty, you're covered, and it lasts as long as you own your vehicle.
    I went to a Saturn dealer the other day to finally take a look at this much acclaimed "Aura XR." Or so-called "acclaim."

You won't be hearing any acclaim from me. Here's why:

Pros: The car is well-built overall with SOME good materials, and fairly decent fit and finish (though not impeccable). I liked the car, it's a good car inside and out.

Cons: Back the drawing board for GM!!!! During my test review (I didn't even have to drive it) the storage container door left of the steering wheel opened when I pushed it, but it wouldn't close. After several fumbling attempts to close it, I tried to concentrate and get it closed, then the salesman came to the rescue and tried to get it to stay shut, but it wouldn't; it had to remain in the opened position forever more (or until it gets some warranty work).

I have to say, this might be a MINOR issue being a storage container door in the dash/console area left of the streering wheel, but ANY issue whatsoever with defects and breakdowns PRIOR to the test drive is totally 100% unacceptable.

I mean... if it's already falling apart before mile #1... what the hell is going to happen at mile #100, let alone 1,000, or 100,000.

GM needs to learn to use ALL quality parts, and not piece meal it. I think the Aura is a Frankenstein; in that their are signs of quality craftsmanship and materials, but their are also remnants of the GM of old.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    That last line makes me wonder... Is it fully transferable?
  • I use that little compartment all the time. I have never had any problem with it.

Is it possible that a customer before you might have inadvertently broken it?
    If it is open when you try to exit the vehicle it is possible for your left knew to bump it, which may brake it if hit hard enough.

Not saying it couldn't be improved though.
    Did you also see the part about having Chrysler inspect the vehicle within a 60 day window every 5 years or your warranty evaporates?

Did you see the part where you have to be the original owner?

Did you see the part where it has to be determined to be a "defect in materials or workmanship?"
    it's possible the door was inadvertantly broken by a previous customer, but is it likely?

Either way... if it broke with limited use as a brand new car (it was not the demo model either), then it stands to reason it was not built to last, or built strong enough for its own positioning.

As for that particular car, if indeed it was previously wrecked..... they had managed to close and shut the container door before I pushed it to open it, so it couldn't have been "fully" broke until I "tested" it.

I bet 98 out of 100 customers wouldn't even think to "test" things like that (storage door) during their test review/drive, and if they had chosen to buy it, wouldn't have found out about the defect until it was too late and the contract was already signed.

I am one of the 2 out of 100 that will check for signs of quality or lack thereof in things like buttons and container doors, armrests, bins, compartments, etc.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    To be fair, I've been skeptical of some of what andres says, because we know he loves his Honda, but the Saturn Aura I sat in at the IAS had this compartment broken too, I believe. I couldn't get it to close.
    Loving Honda and what they've done for me and my friends does not mean I'll automatically hate GM/Saturn.

Although I will admit, my experience with the Chrysler/Dodge bomb/lemon of a product from the mid-90's will make me have a harsh and critical eye for anything American.

But I do believe I'm precisely the type of customer the domestics will have to win over. And it is people like me that will go into a Saturn Aura/Malibu looking for signs of cheapness and low quality, something to criticize and find wrong.

However, it should be the Domestic's mission to not allow that to happen. I can't criticize thin air. They have to provide me with the subpar product or parts to find and look for. Since I've bought a domestic lemon before, and had a Honda that actually had a few warranty issues, I know exactly what kinds of things to look for in a quality well-built automobile.

For example, VW stayed at the bottom of the heap (even though Audi is at the top of the heap for me and in my book) because the VW loaner they gave me during my day of service/maintenance; (which used to be free by the way) had a defect where the sensor light kept saying my driver's door was open even though it wasn't. This is an unacceptable defect in an almost new loaner, and just further solidified my contention that VW has no QC and Audi does. Same thing with the Aura's issue.

To the salesman's credit, when I told him "this is a salesman's worst nightmare," he admitted to the Aura having two common issues, one being the storage door I found defective, and the other being the latch/closing/locking mechanism for the center cup holder console cover. The latch seemed to just be "barely" holding.

I'll admit even Audi had issues with it's latch on the "opensky" moonroof, which is just one of many reasons I never opted to get that feature in my A3. So it's not a death sentence, but it's enough to make a customer like me say "not yet, not quite, not so fast."
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    IMO, and I speak only to myself as an ex-die hard American car buyer, if GM wants to compete in this space it has to out-Honda Honda. There are die hard fans on both sides who would blindly purchase another model no matter how bad their ownership experience was. But for GM to seriously lure Camcordia/Funatia buyers over it has to do something above and beyond Honda and the other domestics. I wouldn't even consider a GM unless it had more than a 3/36 warranty. Honda, I wouldn't give a second thought with a 2/24 warranty.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,045
    >But I do believe I'm precisely the type of customer the domestics will have to win over.

I don't think so. Some people are rabid anti-American car and proHonda people.

I hope someone will go test a Camry and critique the cheap-looking and poorly fitted interiors I've seen. Take a _good_ look at the Honda Accord interior and whole automobile. I found the Civic to actually be more comfortable and better in re interior treatment when I plopped around the showroom a few months back.

I recall Avalon having interior parts with problems when they came out. I don't know how long it lasted because that car didn't remain on my potential car list long.

All cars have faults and problems. People often view things through a lens based on what they have liked in the past or currently drive. Anything else is alien in their perception and is _wrong_.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    When I bought my leftover 05 Mazda6 Wagon in Feb. 06 it had $4k in incentives which came off of invoice with almost no haggling. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

A month ago when we totaled it we got just over $15k from it. So that's about $3k less then I paid for it 19 months and 45k miles later. That's not terrible depreciation from what we paid, but from sticker (about $22k) .... well that's a different story.