Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• OK! After 50+ posts can we conclude that the EPA says "Your Mileage May Very"
    says it all?

You buy a car for great mileage, buy a light weight car with a 4 banger.
    You buy a car for a combination of fair size, comfort and mileage, buy a V6
    You buy a car for speed and performance, buy a Mustang or Corvette.

If you can't find everything you want in one car, build your own like I did :shades:
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668

If you can't find everything you want in one car, build your own like I did.

What is it? Did you literally "build" your own car or just custom order one?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    You buy a car for a combination of fair size, comfort and mileage, buy a V6

I'd say buy a 4 cyl midsize to meet those criteria. The 150-180 HP engines are adequate for most. If you do give any weight to mpg and overall economy, there is no need to put a V6 in most of these cars.

If you want a combination of speed/performance (acceleration really), fair size, and comfort, then look at a V6 (or 4 cyl turbo) midsize.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'd say buy a 4 cyl midsize to meet those criteria. The 150-180 HP engines are adequate for most. If you do give any weight to mpg and overall economy, there is no need to put a V6 in most of these cars.

If you want a combination of speed/performance (acceleration really), fair size, and comfort, then look at a V6 (or 4 cyl turbo) midsize.

I agree. I don't need a car that out-accelerates a Mazda Miata Roadster, like today's V6 sedans will do.
  • I don't need a car that out-accelerates a Mazda Miata Roadster, like today's V6 sedans will do.

Oh goodness that is not a good benchmark. My dog on a tricycle will out-accelerate a Miata. That is not that vehicle's strong suit. Once up to speed the fantastic handling dynamics take over and reward the driver with finesse. I would go with a M-roadster for acceleration.
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    You buy a car for speed and performance, buy a Mustang or Corvette.

Umm...you left out the '08 Viper - the highest HP rated production car in the world under $100k. Sorry, as a Viper enthusiast I couldn't pass it up.

And speaking of winter gas (well, it's in the subject title, anyway), I was reading the popular Car Talk column with Tom and Ray that's in our newspaper every Friday. They said there actually is some benefit to filling up your car at night when the temp is lower than in the heat of the day - you get more gas (condensed) for the same price.

Keeping that in mind, is there any relation between the cooler winter weather and the oil companies putting additives in the gas during the winter which has a side effect of slightly lower fuel economy?

• What is it? Did you literally "build" your own car or just custom order one?

Yes if you will allow that I didn't manufacture every part myself from raw steel.
    I started with a 1928 Ford Frame. Boxed it, added cross bracing put in a IFS and Rack and pinion unit out of a Mustang II. and on and on. The body is from a 1917 Dodge Brothers touring car called a Phaeton.
    It has a 300 HP Custom built, (100% after-market parts, including the 302 cu-in small block. It has no air bags, No bumpers, no catalytic converter. no smog pump. No smog test :shades: it has four doors and no roof, no heater, no A/C and I even painted it in my garage. It took 3 years of work before I could drive it.
    It's not everyones idea of a nice car, but it is mine. It is what I wanted. and no one built what I needed, a 4door convertible/roadster that weighed under 2000 pounds.
  • Umm...you left out the '08 Viper - the highest HP rated production car in the world under $100k.

I'm Sorry. What is the HP on that 8.4 L V-10? 600 I think. That'll have considerable THUMP :shades:
    I left out a lot of comparisons, including trucks like my Dodge 8L V-10.
    A Mustang and a Corvette makes the point that Asian DOHC 4 banger or V-6 that all sound like sewing machines to me. Even their V-8's sound like big sewing machines :D
    The Viper sound is unique and a lot of reader here have no idea what that sounds like. If I had included the Ford 427 Shelby, or a Kieth Black 500 on Nitro, most would have no idea what that sounds like so why bother?
  • Its just a change in thinking, but the same basic concept. When I replaced the tired D16 in the CRX with a B16A, it was still tiny little 4 cylinder engines, but I went from 105 hp to 180 hp (still no torque, but its a CRX, who cares). Honestly, I didn't even open the motor, just did the timing belt and water pump, but people that had set ups much cooler than that had with custom pistons and rods.
    Hot rodding is always the same recipe: get more power, build up or swap a motor, change the way it breathes (Contour SVTs has factory extrude honed heads and plenum, IIRC), and forced induction, etc.
    Oh goodness that is not a good benchmark. My dog on a tricycle will out-accelerate a Miata

Geez, since when did sub 7 second times become dog slow?
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    And one of my co-workers was wondering as I was reading this...is the dog a Chihuahua or a Greyhound?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    My dog on a tricycle will out-accelerate a Miata

Not so true anymore! The 2006+ are rather quick. Let's not forget the Mazdaspeed either....
  • Geez, since when did sub 7 second times become dog slow?

When has a Miata ever had a sub 7 second 0-60 time?

1991 Mazda Miata 9.1
    1994 Mazda Miata 9.7
    1996 Mazda Miata 8.7
    1999 Mazda Miata 7.9
    2001 Mazda Miata MX5 7.9
    2006 Mazda Whatever its officially called 7.5
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    And then there's that larger (actually mid-sized), four-door Miata/MX-5 with a hard roof that's been rumored!

Or maybe not.

;)
  • Its enough on the bloated pig side right now as it is, it ties in to the whats wrong with a subcompact discussion. How much chubbier is the new one than the 1990?

I hope they kill it off entirely and let it die a dignified death before it succumbs to fat secretary car purgatory.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Many midsize sedans do calculate and show average mpg (and average speed). Altima and Accord (w/NAV) have it and hope it becomes more common. I like the feature, and it can teach a person to improve driving style. It did to me. Now I know speeding isn't necessarily a bad thing. :P

So, over last eight months and about 10K miles, I haven't had a single tank that has not been calculated and measured against indicated mileage. It has helped me learn a fact that average speed is closely tied to observed fuel economy. And now, if someone told me that my TL has an average speed around 34 mph after 350-400 miles on the tank, I can pretty much guarantee that mileage will calculate around 24 mpg. Around 37 mph, it jumps up to around 26 mpg. My average speed on (urban) highway is usually around 68-70 mph with occasional high speed around 80 mph, and 25-30 mph for the other half in city streets. The trip computer is impressively accurate but only after over 150 miles. Any less, and there seems to be a greater discrepancy between calculated and indicated.

After all these observations, I find it hard to believe that folks are happier just meeting (worse, not meeting) the new EPA ratings.
    The last test for an AUTOMATIC MX-5 I remember seeing was 7.0 seconds
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    The trip computers are accurate all the time in most cars. It is the manual calculations which are usually not accurate in relative short measurements. Say if the pump reading is "off" by a tenth of a gallon or two, or if the odometer (or trip odometer) is "off" just a little bit, the manually calculated MPG will be off a bit. The trip computer measured EVERYTHING in much greater detail. As longer mileage is recorded, the rounding of such measurement is minimized.
  • I am in the market for a midsize car. I test drove the Honda Accord LX-P and the Nissan Altima 2.5S with Convenience Plus Package. We liked both. I like the roominess of the Accord. Don't much care for the front end. It looks like they have tried hard to make it look smallish. Liked the front end of the Nissan Altima, but the rear seat room is lacking. My knee was knocking against the hard plastic of the door. The roominess was deceiving I thought!

The other aspect of the car that irked me the most in the Altima was the lightness of the steering, it is almost like driving an old Buick! I just wanted to find out from others that are using it how this works in normal driving - especially during cornering. I am yet to drive the Toyota and the Malibu. We kind of got stuck on Altima because two in our household like it.
  • Liked the front end of the Nissan Altima, but the rear seat room is lacking. My knee was knocking against the hard plastic of the door. The roominess was deceiving I thought!

My wife drives a '07 Altima similarly equipped (2.5S with Convenience Plus pkg), and one of the last things that we'd complain about is the room. We've always found plenty of space for 4 or even 5 people. It may not be "full size" like the Accord, but it works for us.

The other aspect of the car that irked me the most in the Altima was the lightness of the steering, it is almost like driving an old Buick! I just wanted to find out from others that are using it how this works in normal driving - especially during cornering.

The lightness of the steering is also an annoyance for me, but my wife has no problem with it, both with parking lot maneuvering and highway driving.

If you don't like lighter steering, stay away from the Camry! Talk about Buick-like... I haven't tried out the new Malibu yet, but if it's anything like it's platform mate (the Saturn Aura), you'll probably like it. My sister's Aura has nice, tight steering, almost as tight as my Mazda6.