Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    I am in the market for a midsize car.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Fusion/Milan. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. These are great cars with many standard features, great ride and handling and very good room for a mid-size.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I concur. The discrepancy with only a few miles can be larger due to inaccuracies involved with manual calculations. And while the trip computer is virtually perfect (when measured against manual calculations over a tank), it has also made me wonder if my TL really gets 36-37 mpg at 60-65 mph which has been observed several times but over only 20-25 mile stretches. I have been wanting to validate it by taking a 5-6 hour pure highway trip, now only if I had the patience to stick to 60-65 mph! :blush:
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    If you don't like lighter steering, stay away from the Camry! Talk about Buick-like...

Uh not really, Camry SE has much better steering feel and feedback than the Altima 3.5SE that I drove. The Altima steering is very very light, like you are driving through air.
  • Uh not really, Camry SE has much better steering feel and feedback than the Altima 3.5SE that I drove. The Altima steering is very very light, like you are driving through air.

I'll admit that the SE is an improvement over the rest of the Camry line, but it's still not up to the feel and tightness of the Mazda6 and Aura IMO.
    but it's still not up to the feel and tightness of the Mazda6 and Aura IMO.

I don't remember the OP was mentioning the Mazda6 and Aura.

He was focusing on Altima, you brought up Camry and since I happened to drive both before I felt obligated to give my opinion. Also, why's that every car in this segment has to compare to the Mazda6? What if I am only interested in Camry, Altima and Accord?
  • A little sensitive, aren't we? :)

I remember the OP complaining about the light steering of the Altima, and based on that, I thought he/she wouldn't mind a suggestion or two about other cars in this class that may better fit his needs in terms of steering feel.

Also, why's that every car in this segment has to compare to the Mazda6?

Because it's what I drive everyday and am most familiar with, just like Grad with his Accord(s) and you with your Camry.

What if I am only interested in Camry, Altima and Accord?

Then you're missing out on a slew of excellent choices in this class, besides the Japanese "Big 3".

Isn't that what this forum is for? :confuse:
    you with your Camry.

I don't drive a Camry. I just happened to have opportunities to drive both the Camry SE and Altima before.
    Altima's steering is not only light, it affords no feedback. Feels very artificial to me. Steering feel is high on my list of must haves in my choices, right next to NVH associated with the engine. "N" in this case is not for noise suppression, but how the engine sounds which is another thing that doesn't help Altima's case with the 2.5.
    Altima's steering is not only light, it affords no feedback.

Exactly, like I said, almost like it's driving through air. I am pretty sure some people like that but that's not my cup of tea.
  • I get a kick out of everyone talking like their a race car driver. The Altima 3.5SE is superior to the Camry or Aura, probably not the Mazda. I've owned both the V-6 '07 Camry and now Altima. Read any article and they'll tell you it has excellent feedback, corners well, as evidenced by the slalom time of almost 68mph, and is quick to say the least. The Aura actually gets criticized for its handling and feedback. Anyway, to each his own, IMHO the Altima is tops in this group and not because I own one. I also agree with an earlier post, the Fusion handles well, but you need to plan a box lunch while getting from 0-60.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623

I get a kick out of everyone talking like their a race car driver.

Fusion handles well, but you need to plan a box lunch while getting from 0-60.

Why is 0-60 time important for a midsize sedan? Do you drag race Camrys and Accords from stoplight to stoplight?
    the Fusion handles well, but you need to plan a box lunch while getting from 0-60.

That makes me wonder about your diet. ;)
  • I checked out a 2005 Toyota Camry with 10,000 miles, called dealerships untill I found out where it was serviced. It had 72,000 miles in september. It is listed on Edmunds.com. The guy says it was his grandmothers car. Car fax reports 53,000 miles. Glad I paid the money for unlimited carfax reports. vin # 4T1BF32K55U605280 . I was told the car was in Savannah, Ga.

Be very cautious2
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    The comparo Edmunds conducted with six drivers drawn from the public is posted on the main page. A big surprise to me was that Edmunds chose low-end, I4 versions of the Accord, Camry, and Malibu to test. The results didn't surprise me too much:

Car / 1st Place Votes / 2nd Place Votes / 3rd Place Votes
    Accord / 3 / 3 / 0
    Malibu / 3 / 2 / 1
    Camry / 0 / 1 / 5

The numbers don't tell the whole story, however. While it's clear the Camry was the "loser" of the bunch, I thought it was kind of funny that the only person who rated the Camry higher than 3rd owns... guess what? A Camry! The comments on the Camry were overall really negative (except for the Camry owner of course). Some wondered out loud how the Camry could be the best-selling car.

The other thing that is sort of evident in the rankings is how close the Accord and Malibu were rated. But reading the reviews, in which the Accord just edged out the Malibu in some cases, the Malibu's strong showing was even more clear. Even the guy who rated the Camry 1st (and the Accord 2nd; btw he owns an Odyssey too) said he really wanted to vote for the Malibu over the Accord, but he couldn't because the long-term quality of the Malibu is unknown. I guess he was confused--he must have thought the comparo, on a test track in SoCal, was sponsored not by Edmunds.com but by Consumer Reports. ;)
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    he really wanted to vote for the Malibu over the Accord, but he couldn't because the long-term quality of the Malibu is unknown. I guess he was confused--he must have thought the comparo, on a test track in SoCal, was sponsored not by Edmunds.com but by Consumer Reports.

More than one of the testers commented on the reputation of the manufacturers being a reason to doubt the Malibu. Don't you think reputation matters? History means nothing? Consumer Reports are not the only ones who care about "Will it hold up"? Consumers do too.
  • I did test drive the Fusion and the Milan as well. The cars handled very well. Very comfortable seating. The downside was the interior feel was not nearly as good as Nissan Altima or Honda or Aura. I did test drive the Aura as well. The Aura felt very good. Though I did not drive the Malibu knowing it is built on the same platform as the Aura I am pretty sure it will handle very well. When I initially looked at Aura the only engine choices were the old 3.5 or the 3.6. Gas mileage on both were not nearly as good as the fours from other manufacturers.

Why rear seat comfort is important to me is with two grown up kids I am pretty sure I am going to take the 'back seat' in long driving situations. I think the Altima's rear seat is bit lower to the ground hence my knee knocking against the door problem - I think. I will go back to the dealer with a tape measure next time to get the seat height.

Our cars do close to 20 ~ 25K miles every year. So gas mileage is important. This is why we whittled the list down to peppy 4 cylinder cars. I kind of like the Malibu but will have to wait for the 6 Spd to get the mileage that the Accord/Camry/Altima get today. I am planning on test driving the Camry SE soon, maybe do the same with Malibu.

I also liked the Legacy of the past for driving dynamics. But the rear seat is a joke and only good for small kids. I couldn't get into the car without knocking my head. The front is very nice and roomy.

By the way thanks for all the posts.
  • While your'e test driving,why dont you look at the KIA Optima and the Hyundai Sonata...you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    More than one of the testers commented on the reputation of the manufacturers being a reason to doubt the Malibu. Don't you think reputation matters? History means nothing? Consumer Reports are not the only ones who care about "Will it hold up"? Consumers do too.

Even CR separates ratings of cars based on how they drive, functionality, quality (and this does not mean reliability), etc. from their recomendations which include reliability considerations. I assume the point of the comparison test was to compare the cars not to rate them based on one's expectations of reliability.

It would be pointless to test and examine the cars, if no matter what the results of that are you are one who will pick the Camry because you just know it will be reliable and reliabilty trumps all other considerations for you.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Camry because you just know it will be reliable and reliabilty trumps all other considerations for you.

There are people whose sole consideration is just that. It's not my consideration. I don't worry about reliability because in the end it's a crap shoot. There are people however, who worry about the number of projected times the car will be in the shop.