Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    I don't think you can be so sure your 06 Accord is MUCH better ergonomically designed than the 08 Accord unless you spend some serious time in the newer Accord.
    I think someone was just trying to be a smart pants with the CTS.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I sat in a Gen VII Accord and loved how the things I used every day (CD/AM/FM, Seek, Fan Speed) were right there near the driver, and were quite intuitive.

Its just my personal opinion, but if someone can get in a car and immediately find all the controls and how they work, the design is more ergonomically sound than in a car where some hunting is necessary.

The Gen VIII I was in (LX-P and an EX-L) seemed much more scattered and unplanned; less logical in its layout.

Maybe my opinion would change if the car were mine. I just didn't think the design was as smart, simple, and clean as the previous generation models.
    Oh well; I sort of figured it with the :) icon... But there's probably a reader out there who doesn't fully understand the forums - maybe it helped.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Since we are all over the map here, talking about everything from cars that are mid-sized inside and compact outside, to Impalas, to Acura TLs, etc. etc., I could see how someone could think the CTS would fit in here. After all, the base CTS is about the same price as the top-end Accord, Camry, and Altima (and Legacy?). I think you pegged it right with the "mid-sized famlly car" label. It's not just about mid-sized sedans, but about the low-end of the mid-sized spectrum--not near-luxury cars or luxury cars that happen to be mid-sized. (Although some of these "family cars" can get pretty luxurious when loaded up!)
    "The Accord without navigation looks pretty dull inside which is one reason why all of their press cars are loaded EX-L models."

Gee, I thought the "press" cars were always loaded models. Your opinion of the Accord's interior is fine but to state it as a reason for why Honda only furnishes loaded models is baseless.
  • mrsyjmrsyj Posts: 77
    "Gee, I thought the "press" cars were always loaded models. "

they are not always loaded. My guess is Honda knows the Accord seems more average without nav and thus they make sure only cars with nav are provided for test drives. The "upscale" interior the Accord has been praised for is hard to appreciate when you see the non nav interior. Doesnt quite seem so acura-like without the big screen.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    It seems to me the magazines test the 6 cylinder versions at least as much as the 4 cylinder versions, when the 4 cylinders sell in much greater numbers. I assume it's because 6 cylinder versions have every possible feature available for comparison (VCM for example).
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    maybe more a case of the enthusiast mags. being run by enthusiasts and with subscriber bases that tend to be the same way - power sells - at least in terms of the magazines.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Yes, I suspect the reviewers themselves campaign for the 6 cylinder versions. ;) Why not go all out, especially when your not paying for the car.
  • mrsyjmrsyj Posts: 77
    exactly. when you arent paying for gas you are going to want more power so why not get the V6 version. Its funny that 70%-80% of import midsizers are sold with 4 cylinders but you rarely see an I-4 model tested. edmunds got a long term Accord EX-L V6 with nav even though that car is likely less than 10% of Accord sales. Most people shopping for an Accord are not trying to spend $31k. You can get a TL for a few grand more.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the fact is, however, that the FE premium for some of these better V6s (the Toyota 2GR, for example) is somewhat minimal espeically when you balance that against the fun (and safety) quotients that come with 250hp+. If the average driver is putting 1500 miles/mo. on a Camry 4 banger vs. the same car with that V6 - his additional cost per month is going to end up about $20/month based on a 3mpg overall FE difference and $3 gas. A small price to pay IMO and while there is certainly a premium to buy the bigger engine in the first place, a good portion of that is recovered at trade-in time. I think there is a common misperception that some of these 'overpowered' cars are going to kill you at the gas pumps - which is not necessarily the case.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Did you notice though that we are seeing more I4 mid-sized sedan comparos? The last big one C/D did was I4 models (except for the Aura, which was available only as a V6 then). A couple of years ago, Edmunds did one comparing an Accord, Camry, and Sonata at the same price point, and so it was I4 Accord and Camry vs. V6 Sonata. Then in the recent comparo Edmunds did in which the testers were drawn from the public, they compared I4 versions of the Accord, Camry, and Malibu. Maybe the press is realizing most people buy mid-sizers with I4s, so they should test them that way.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    In many cases, they like to test the V6 manual, while most people buy the I4 automatic.

And then also we have the manufacturers, who like to advetise the features and performance of the top of the line V6, but quote the price of the base I4.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Maybe the press is realizing most people buy mid-sizers with I4s, so they should test them that way.

I believe the statistics indicate you are accurate, but how many mid-size owners on this forum have I4s? We have a V6 2007 Fusion, for example.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    And then also we have the manufacturers, who like to advetise the features and performance of the top of the line V6, but quote the price of the base I4.

The manufacturers are also fond of quoting the highway mileage figures for the base I4s in their advertising. Not all that surprising. Just another example of "putting the best foot forward."
    I believe the statistics indicate you are accurate, but how many mid-size owners on this forum have I4s? We have a V6 2007 Fusion, for example.

elroy has a 2003 Accord V6. urnews has a Fusion V6 AWD. dudleyr has a 4-cyl Accord, as does tankbeans I believe. There are a couple of Mazda 6 V6 owners around too, I just can't remember who owns them.

At my house, there are three 4-cyl automatic Accords ('96, '02, '06).
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I4 Mazda6, here.
    For some reason I was thinking you were one of the V6 owners.

Welcome to the economy club then. ;)