Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

Honda has traditionally only run 1-2% fleet sales. They just don't do it.

But who cares whether Camry or Accord or Fusion or Altima sold more to retail customers?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489

Camry has a huge pool of recurring appliance buyers, mostly for the name and reputation. The rest is by cheap selling to blow them out.

If I needed a cheap 2 year lease say for my kid to commute to community college, it would be high on the list of options.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

I like the Acura RDX, The VW Tiguan, and the Mazda CX-5 (2.5). Small but still useful, decent F/E, and classy. Three different engine approaches. One V6, one Turbo 4. and one N/A 2.5 I-4.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited June 2014

Saw a commercial last night for the 2015 Sonata. The car featured in the ad was silver--good move! It looks a lot better--sleeker, more classy--in silver than that gaudy orange that was used for the NY Auto Show debut. May have to stop by my local dealer this weekend and see if they have any to take a look at.

On the small SUV thread--that will probably be my wife's next vehicle, she needs a taller entry/exit than a sedan. My fav for a new SUV for her is the Forester, followed by the CR-V (or the upcoming HR-V, that looks pretty interesting). But we might go the used route, with the previous-gen CR-V being the top contender.

We just bought a 2014 Escape Titanium. Might be worth a test drive. We love it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

@akirby‌

Congrats! Nice ride! What color?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

@stickguy said:
    My RDX gets better mpg than the odyssey did. Huge difference on the highway

Except the RDX has 2/3 the passenger space of the Odyssey. I should have said 3 row SUV's obviously a CRV will beat the minivans.

• You guys probably know by my posts that I hate been looking to put some new tech in my car... and realistically, I can't do 1500 for new coilovers until after summer vacation trip. So, I bought a new rear sound system. I had a 1x1 cubic foot Infinity Sub in it that just couldn't pump through the interior.... meaning I couldn't hear it at all.
    Here is the new system.... it fits in between the rear shock towers so only about 2 foot of space is stolen. Here is the pic:

edited June 2014

Update...The amp and the sub fit PERFECTLY between the shock towers, in that space I never use unless for fishing poles or the 4-10 if I want to do a little squirrel hunting. In other words almost never. There is no reason to bolt the sub box down...so if it has to be moved, doing so is easy. Very nice quality sound for less than $200.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293

@cski I saw a Ford Focus with those black and red rims on it today. Personally, I would pick something else.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited June 2014

@akirby said:
    But who cares whether Camry or Accord or Fusion or Altima sold more to retail customers?

People who obsess over car sales numbers and use them to tout which cars are "most popular" care, I guess.

I don't care how "popular" a car is. I care about how it meets my needs, including budget. Of the 4 cars I own or lease today, none was ever a top seller (although the Sonata sold in large numbers). The only time I care about sales figures is if the figures are so small that I'm concerned about the viability of the company, in the U.S. at least (recent example: Suzuki; and now, Mitsubishi).

The other end of the spectrum I don't get is people who must have a car that is unique and can't look like anyone else's car. I don't care how many people have a car that looks like mine - I get what I like to look at and drive period.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

Update: We got a new Nissan Mallfinder Pathfinder last night, to replace our 2005 Yukon XL.

We decided it was large enough for us. The Acadia/Traverse were larger behind the third row, but the 2nd row in the Nissan is fantastic. The third row really will be occasional use only, and only half of it at that, so cargo space was not a concern. We were insisting on 2nd row buckets to have two kids in the middle and one in the back, with no seat movement necessary. But for wife and kids' daily errands, she'll have two in the 2nd row and one riding shotgun. With all of us on board for short trips, the bench is wide with lots of leg room, no problem to fit three across (as we've discovered with my Accord), and for longer trips, it is easy to access the third row. We will always have at least half of that third row available for storage. With third row completely folded, it is more than adequate. No more little kids in car seats, so it fits us fine. Under floor storage is good. Sub takes up some space, but it still easily holds all the emergency gear, umbrella, blanket, air compressor.

Materials and ride quality, and most importantly price, the Pathfinder got us a lot more content for the money vs 2nd place Acadia SLT. It's an SL Premium, Cayenne Red over Charcoal leather. Hooray for actual color. Everything but nav (don't need it) and DVD player (don't want it, we're old school like that). Proximity key, memory seat and mirrors, dual sunroofs, backup cam, heated seats front and rear. FWD with tow package. I don't need to go off road or tow, but I will put my cargo platform on the hitch now and then, and we camp several times a year. So enough ground clearance to bounce down a two-track now and then. We're in TX, so if it snows we'll be closed that day. ;)

Reviews indicate it has less sporty handling than some other CUVs, but that is not the purpose of this vehicle. We tested a Durango and did not care for the "trucky" ride. Of course our Yukon was a truck, but it had a longer wheelbase and cushier ride. Traverse was comfortable, but rather floaty by comparison. Pathfinder strikes a good balance. Flex had some chintzy materials, and Escape and Pilot (and every minivan, despite my efforts) were ruled out on looks alone. The CVT is very responsive. VQ35, need I say more? It lacks the immediate torque of the Yukon, but the whole vehicle is far more refined in every way. Materials quality was far nicer than the GMs. I've seen the various reviews about CVT issues, but it seems to have been addressed this year. And it's a lease with full warranty coverage, so I'm willing to risk it.

The dealership was fantastic - no fooling around, no harassment, and very close to my office.

I'm anxious to see how fuel economy pans out. 20/26 est. versus 13/18... There's $115 a month off the top.

The Beast will be missed, but wife is pleased, so I am too. Now to go and sell the old car. Will give CarMax a shot, and then turn to my own devices if necessary.

And I have a new forum to join!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

Congrats!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

If you think about it, that is very hard to achieve anyway. All the mods are available to anyone in the aftermarket, so we all get to "be different together". :)

The only way to literally have a unique car these days is a) radical customization or b) spend a million bucks.

@akirby said:
    The other end of the spectrum I don't get is people who must have a car that is unique and can't look like anyone else's car. I don't care how many people have a car that looks like mine - I get what I like to look at and drive period.

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

@ahightower said:
    Update: We got a new Nissan Mallfinder Pathfinder last night, to replace our 2005 Yukon XL.

My obese brother had a Nissan Foodfinder

True. I think it's more like they want a car that they rarely see someone else driving. So a camry is definitely off the list. I just never understood being different just for the sake of being different. I just can't see myself saying "I really wanted that Titanium Fusion in Ruby Red with the 19" wheels but somebody else at work just got one so now I have to find something else".

@nyccarguy said:
    Congrats!

Thanks. When I got my Accord, I felt it was so nice that I couldn't imagine anyone in their right mind paying more for a comparable Acura TL. I now feel the same way about the Infiniti JX/Q-something. Pathfinder has a fantastic interior.

@rbirns1 said:

LOL. I'm sure the puns will multiply.

@akirby said:
    True. I think it's more like they want a car that they rarely see someone else driving. So a camry is definitely off the list. I just never understood being different just for the sake of being different. I just can't see myself saying "I really wanted that Titanium Fusion in Ruby Red with the 19" wheels but somebody else at work just got one so now I have to find something else".

People like to believe they've "discovered" some unappreciated gem. But the mark of a great design is that it still looks cool even when hundreds of thousands agree. Fusion has that look, especially in an interesting color and/or with nice wheels. Although, a really great design is one that looks just as good on the base model and doesn't need lots of "jewelry". I admit my Accord needs its spoiler and exhaust tips and wheels to stand out. A base Fusion is far less boring than a base Accord.

I agree on having a base model that looks good and doesn't need a lot of "jewelery". All the cars I have today are technically "base" models, and all are sharp looking cars even today, in some cases nearly 15 years after they were designed. The one thing that can most easily ruin the appearance of a base sedan is the cheap-looking plastic wheel covers some automakers choose to put on them, so you have to pay the extra bucks for alloys.

oh, one of my pet peeves is steelies with hub caps. Not sure I could do it even if it was just a super cheap lease appliance beater.

I don't mind plastic wheel covers if they're decent looking. My Rio5 has good looking wheel covers IMO, as did my previous leased car (Sentra 2.0S). But some are really cheap-looking. Ford and Honda are some of the worst offenders there, IMO.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited June 2014

lol........... You are so right.. Honda should be ashamed of themselves putting those funky rims on the Lx CRV models, and Pilots. .................... And Ford shame on you too.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

I don't remember a recent Ford with plastic wheel covers.

Not all are wheel covers. Ford has gotten better. Check out the basic Ford focus wheel cover. Ford makes another one called the Hollander awful they were on the 2012 and 13's . . looks like ones from the 80's and 90's. You see them on the cheap small basic models.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075

@akirby - In the midsize category the Fusion S model states that it offers 16" steel wheels with "premium" wheel covers. Can't say I've ever noticed one. The compact Focus has some of the worst-looking, cheapest plastic wheel covers I have ever seen.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Ford had a wheel cover on the last generation Fusion that looked like this:

It went over a 5 spoke steel wheel:

Chrysler used them as well. They really do look like alloy wheels.

@ab348 said:
    akirby - In the midsize category the Fusion S model states that it offers 16" steel wheels with "premium" wheel covers. Can't say I've ever noticed one. The compact Focus has some of the worst-looking, cheapest plastic wheel covers I have ever seen.

The Focus' awful plastic wheel covers are a good example. The CR-V LXs are awful too, but base Accord's wheel covers haven't been very good in recent years either.

You hardly ever see base models around here. Although the one above sure looks like a regular wheel.

The base Altima has hubbies. You need to get into one of the S packages to get alloys.

edited June 2014

@akirby said:
    You hardly ever see base models around here. Although the one above sure looks like a regular wheel.

Here's the Fusion S' standard wheel. I confirmed on ford.com that is the current wheel. Not nearly as nice as the one pictured earlier. But not the most awful I've seen.

• Update: We got a new Nissan Mallfinder Pathfinder last night, to replace our 2005 Yukon XL.

We decided it was large enough for us. The Acadia/Traverse were larger behind the third row, but the 2nd row in the Nissan is fantastic. The third row really will be occasional use only, and only half of it at that, so cargo space was not a concern. We were insisting on 2nd row buckets to have two kids in the middle and one in the back, with no seat movement necessary. But for wife and kids' daily errands, she'll have two in the 2nd row and one riding shotgun. With all of us on board for short trips, the bench is wide with lots of leg room, no problem to fit three across (as we've discovered with my Accord), and for longer trips, it is easy to access the third row. We will always have at least half of that third row available for storage. With third row completely folded, it is more than adequate. No more little kids in car seats, so it fits us fine. Under floor storage is good. Sub takes up some space, but it still easily holds all the emergency gear, umbrella, blanket, air compressor.

Materials and ride quality, and most importantly price, the Pathfinder got us a lot more content for the money vs 2nd place Acadia SLT. It's an SL Premium, Cayenne Red over Charcoal leather. Hooray for actual color. Everything but nav (don't need it) and DVD player (don't want it, we're old school like that). Proximity key, memory seat and mirrors, dual sunroofs, backup cam, heated seats front and rear. FWD with tow package. I don't need to go off road or tow, but I will put my cargo platform on the hitch now and then, and we camp several times a year. So enough ground clearance to bounce down a two-track now and then. We're in TX, so if it snows we'll be closed that day. ;)

Reviews indicate it has less sporty handling than some other CUVs, but that is not the purpose of this vehicle. We tested a Durango and did not care for the "trucky" ride. Of course our Yukon was a truck, but it had a longer wheelbase and cushier ride. Traverse was comfortable, but rather floaty by comparison. Pathfinder strikes a good balance. Flex had some chintzy materials, and Escape and Pilot (and every minivan, despite my efforts) were ruled out on looks alone. The CVT is very responsive. VQ35, need I say more? It lacks the immediate torque of the Yukon, but the whole vehicle is far more refined in every way. Materials quality was far nicer than the GMs. I've seen the various reviews about CVT issues, but it seems to have been addressed this year. And it's a lease with full warranty coverage, so I'm willing to risk it.

The dealership was fantastic - no fooling around, no harassment, and very close to my office.

I'm anxious to see how fuel economy pans out. 20/26 est. versus 13/18... There's $115 a month off the top.

The Beast will be missed, but wife is pleased, so I am too. Now to go and sell the old car. Will give CarMax a shot, and then turn to my own devices if necessary.

And I have a new forum to join!

Hey Backy. My mother in law has a dark red Mallfinder, and has the exact same seating configuration. The kids like it, and she likes the way it drives and the power of the V6. She has 29K and no CVT issues, or any other issues. She has the worst commute. 95 to 495 to Tysons. I refuse to even go there. Fortunately a new Silverline subway station is due to open in 75 days, greatly reducing car traffic, and new "Hotlanes" are open allowing folks in a hurry (and rich) to pay extra to use a special HOCV lane for the wealthy (or the hurried). So, basically this vehicle idles for 1.5 hours each way crawling to and from work.

• @explorerx4 said:
    cski I saw a Ford Focus with those black and red rims on it today. Personally, I would pick something else.

I have decided to not get rims and to continue saving for the coilovers. Everyone on the Optima site says it makes driving much more fun, with no floaty-rebound over bumps and uneven pavement. The new speakers have totally fixed the not-so-good base model stereo. So, I am pretty happy with it right now, and it still looks showroom fresh 2.6 years later.

And the CarMax sale of our old Yukon went very well. The price was very good. $1500 more than any dealer offered as a trade, hit Edmunds TMV right on the nose. Given the condition and desirability of large SUVs in this area, I believe I could have gotten perhaps $500 more as a private party sale, but not having to deal with craigslist weirdos is worth a lot to me. One stop, sign the paperwork, take the money and run. I am watching their website to see it listed, curious to see what they expect to get for it.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

I don't have a problem with steel wheels. Why hide them with hideous hubcaps.

Above rims look similar to the CRV lx models rims..

edited June 2014

@dudleyr said:
    I don't have a problem with steel wheels. Why hide them with hideous hubcaps.

Well, a numbers matching 1974 Porsche 911 is a little different than a 96 Civic with endless cheap modification possibilities. The average young Civic driver sees 100's of cars like his a day, many with wheels costing far more than the car. It is a culture where nothing is taboo and adding an aftermarket set of well, anything does not affect the value of the car either positively or negatively. It is just fun.

• Just to be clear, I am doing the coilovers first, and the wheels later on. Everyone (sans none) has told me to keep the wheels stock and get the front end coilovers first. The bouncy rebound of the EX Kia is annoying.

edited June 2014

@backy said:
    I agree on having a base model that looks good and doesn't need a lot of "jewelery". All the cars I have today are technically "base" models, and all are sharp looking cars even today, in some cases nearly 15 years after they were designed. The one thing that can most easily ruin the appearance of a base sedan is the cheap-looking plastic wheel covers some automakers choose to put on them, so you have to pay the extra bucks for alloys.

I don't know about you guys,l but I have seen a fair share of cars with plastic hubcaps going down the road with the cap warped from heat, or improperly installed, or with a missing clip, unbalanced and wobbling along. I firmly believe the base model hub-cap jobs are aimed at women, who could care less how the wheel is made as long as it is shiny.

edited June 2014

@robr2 said:
    Ford had a wheel cover on the last generation Fusion that looked like this:

It went over a 5 spoke steel wheel:

Chrysler used them as well. They really do look like alloy wheels.

Yes, the Ford hubcaps pictured are the base models on the Fusion and the Escape. They look similar to the top end alloys that I think look very sharp. Not sure if the real alloys are 17" or 18"
    But they look good,. I think the new Escape is the best looking small CUV, with Mazda close second, and the RAV4 3rd. Sorry Honda, the CRV is Borrrriiing.

Afterthought....I would rather have the steel wheels w/o the hubcaps. Just paint or chrome the 5 star steel wheels and there would bye no reason for a separate part number for a plastic hubcap that will most likely fall off, get stolen, or warp from heat (in the front due to brake heat).

@cski said:
    I don't know about you guys,l but I have seen a fair share of cars with plastic hubcaps going down the road with the cap warped from heat, or improperly installed, or with a missing clip, unbalanced and wobbling along. I firmly believe the base model hub-cap jobs are aimed at women, who could care less how the wheel is made as long as it is shiny.

I've never had a problem with a plastic wheel cover warping or wobbling. But I have had my share of scrapes of alloys on curbs where the top part sticks out--common in my area. And alloys that wear out over time.

As for base model cars with wheel covers being aimed at women... I don't know about that. As I've stated, I prefer wheel covers to alloys if the covers are good-looking. Like this example from my 2010 Sentra 2.0S, off lease last year:

Maybe they are aimed at people who don't want to pay extra for decent-looking wheels if they can help it! :)

edited June 2014

Fusion is in the shop. Last Friday, the check engine light came on. Drove it today for the first time since. Light was still on, and after a few miles it started making a not loud fog horn noise every few seconds.
    Dealer, only 2 miles away was not open yet, so went over there an hour or so later, but car didn't make the noise.
    On the way home from work, the noise started again, so I turned around and headed to the dealer.
    Just before I got there, the car stalled twice.
    Anyways, drove it into the service garage and left it running.
    Several people came over to the car and could heard the noise.
    It was coming out the capless fuel filler, and sounded like the car was farting every few seconds.
    We all got some chuckles about that.
    I told the service writer, I'm glad you heard it, so I don't have to try to describe it to you and now you have to explain the noise.
    They brought me over to Enterprise and I have an Altima loaner.
    Impressions will follow over the next few days. Already some noticeable differences.
    Altima has a CVT, right?
    Heading out to clean the car in a few minutes. Lots of bugs and tar on it.

yeah, Altima is a CVT. I will be interested in hearing your impressions on both driving them back to back. I test drove an Altima, and actually liked it. Never have driven a Fusion though.

wait, you are going to to clean the rental? I thought only Fintail did that!

@stickguy First thing my wife said when she pulled in the driveway was 'You're cleaning a loaner?' Took me an hour and it looks a lot better now.
    BTW, it's an 'S' model with spoke wheel covered steelies.

dang man, come down here and visit. I will serve you drinks by the pool. I got 2 cars that could still use your services.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2014

Truth About Cars on Ford Fusion:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/06/editorial-lots-of-boost-not-much-eco/

"Lots Of Boost, Not Much Eco
    By Derek Kreindler on June 17, 2014

Just prior to Ford’s fuel economy ratings adjustment, I returned a brand new Fusion with a 1.5L Ecoboost engine. The last car I’ve driven with 1500 cc’s worth of displacement was my grandmother’s 2000 Civic, with its D-Series, single cam engine and 4-speed automatic. You would think that such a tiny engine would help Ford’s mid-sizer deliver solid fuel economy, but the best I could do was a mere 21 mpg in mixed driving.

According to the EPA, the same Fusion gets 23 mpg in town and 36 mpg on the highway, and 28 mpg combined – that’s about 25 percent better than I got. I’ve never had particularly good luck with the Ecoboost engines, whether it’s the 1.6L in the Escape or the 2.0L in the MKZ in normal driving. My one good experience, in the utterly fantastic Fiesta ST, saw me return 40 mpg over a stretch of two lane highway at 60 mph. But who drives 60 mph on the highway, let alone in the Fiesta ST.

The Ecoboost engines are like the high school classmate who got infuriatingly good grades, but you always knew you were smarter than. They simply happened to be really good at standardized tests and repeating back information, even if their critical thinking and “streets smarts” were lacking.

So, these engines perform really well on the EPA fuel economy tests, but utterly fall apart in the real world. Driving them as one normally would means dipping into the boost of the turbo engine, and subsequently consuming lots of fuel. For an engine that’s been sold on the age-old promise of “the power of [insert large engine here], the fuel economy of [insert smaller cylinder count here]“, that’s not good at all. Especially when you are publicly forced to revise your own fuel economy estimates....."

(more at the link)

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited June 2014

TTAC also says, "....There’s a lot to recommend about the Fusion overall: it looks great, rides well, has a solid, well-built feel and they’ve finally fixed the once-awful MyFord Touch system. But I can’t seem to find a powertrain that works well...."

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202

@benjaminh said:
    . But I can’t seem to find a powertrain that works well...."

He must not have tried the Fusion Hybrid. Plenty of power and 43.9 mpg in my last 800 miles. My wife is driving it today for the first time for a full day. I'm not optimistic about the mileage she'll get.

@benjaminh You read it on the internet, so it must be true.
    I just read an article where Consumer Reports was touting the Highlander Hybrid (51k) as a great vehicle, although to cost 12k more than a loaded Highlander (39k).