Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Manual or Automatic? The Camry Manual I THINK uses an E251 transmission. Don't know about the Corolla.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    Sorry, I was referring to the 5 spd auto. I changed my post to reflect the auto. Tks.
  • That's a good question! I can't seem to figure it out either. First, I assumed that the Corolla XRS must have a considerably shorter final drive ratio, but then I looked at C&D's track times for both cars:

'08 Camry LE
    2.4L / 5-speed Automatic
    curb weight: 3,343 lbs
    ...............................1/4 mile time: 17.0 at 83 MPH

'09 Corolla XRS
    2.4L / 5-speed Manual
    curb weight: 2,930 lbs
    ..............................1/4 mile time: 15.9 at 88 MPH

FACTS:

1) The Corolla XRS (with manual) weighs 413 lbs less than the Camry LE (with automatic)

2) The Corolla's manual transmission sends more power to the drive wheel, compared to the Camry's automatic (torque converter power loss)

MY CONCLUSION:

The Corolla, being significantly lighter, and having more power at the drive wheel, should not require shorter gearing to reach the 1/4 mile 1.1 second faster than the Camry. Could it be the cheesy tacked-on ground effects on the XRS causing more drag at highway speeds? I assumed that as well, but the Camry SE has the same cheesy tacked on ground effects kit as the XRS, and the Camry SE gets EPA ratings identical to the Camry LE. So that rules out the drag theory. So.....either the XRS is running considerably higher RPM than the Camry at highway speeds (which would require the XRS the have shorter gearing, which is unlikely given the facts above), or somethin' aint right with the EPA's calculation formula. Or you can use your imagination and speculate as people love to do.
  • Still, an XRS with a 5-speed manual should get better Highway mileage than a Camry with the same engine and a 5-speed automatic. The weight difference of 413 pounds is significant, and if you consider the facts/data from my post above, the gearing should be very similar between both cars, if not identical.
    Maybe it boils down to which bolt-on ground effects pkg is cheesier than the other. ;)
    However, all joking aside, the EPA numbers are supposed to be accurate(comparatively) so I really wonder what gives.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    According to the 2009 order guide the Fusion will offer ESC (finally). This was a surprise since the 09 model debuts in June and will only exist for 6 months when the mid cycle refresh appears in December (on sale in January).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Offer, or standard?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Considering the larger, more expensive Taurus has it optional only (TRAC is standard), I'm guessing this will be an option for the Fusion as well.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    So, Elroy, did you get your windshield wiper motor fixed yet?
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    So, Elroy, did you get your windshield wiper motor fixed yet?

My wiper motor works just fine. I'll see about it whenever I get a notice from Honda. I've been wanting to go by the dealership though, to check out the new models. Unfortunately, the wife will probably be the one to take it in. Oh well, I'll stop by one day.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    The recall notice, front page news on msn.com, says that 353,000 2003 Accords were affected. Evidently water could enter an area near the windshield wiper motor and cause corrosion. No news yet on whether my wife's 2003 Odyssey is affected.

Don't forget to look at the new Pilot when you go to the dealership, it looks like a winner.
    I read the msn article. If I don't get a notice soon I'll call Honda. They sent me an e-mail today on the new Pilot. That grill may take some getting used to. :surprise:
    Copy that on the grill.
    Don't forget to look at the new Pilot when you go to the dealership, it looks like a winner.

I hope you're joking. That's the ugliest thing Honda has made since the Isuzu rebadge.
    Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. ;)
    Don't forget the Ridgeline. That is one beautiful truck.....NOT.
    In most cases - yes, but even Honda puts out a stinker every now and then:

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    The ugliest SUV of the year! :cry:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    The looks of the this fit right into the segment. No better, no worse. Of course, we can debate what is a "good looking" car until the cows come home. :cry
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    It's just the grill. With a normal grill, it would look a little like a 4Runner.