Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    No you didn't buy the Fusion too fast. Don't let the Honda crowd get to you. You have a very well built vehicle at a good price. The Fusion fit/finish is every bit as good as an Accord or Camry. When I shopped last year the Ford salesperson was so confident he took the Fusion to both a Honda lot and a Camry lot to show me first hand face to face, side by side comparison. I had 4 - 5 sales people walking, poking, opening/shutting doors ect around these cars looking at every detail. I am totally confident the Fusion will easily hold up over 100,000 miles. In fact.
    I just got back from a trip to Idaho in my Fusion. I wanted to post this so badly!! I traveled with my whole family. 2 Adults, 2 children, soccer gear/luggage. I averaged 75MPH and got 32.6 MPG!! This is 3MPG better than Ford advertises. I as extremely happy. The car handled like it was on rails through the mountains, and drove with confidence. You made a great choice in buying a Fusion. :shades:
    Thank-you for posting this!! so much! Yet another reason why the Fusion is a great value and a great vehicle. It finishes within points behind the Accord. Some here make it seem as if the Fusion is miles behind the Accord when look yet again! Its not. Take a look at the pricing difference. http://ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.inexpensivefamilysedans.htm
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Good read!

I was certainly surprised to see the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima tying for first place, and well deserved too.

EDIT: Just noticed the Hyundai Azera took the first place as well in the large sedan category. Kudos!!
    "Accord still #1. "

Did you read the article? Nope the Accord is #3.. :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    You made a great choice in buying a Fusion.

Nobody seems to be saying otherwise. Instead, that they bought the wrong Fusion for his/her needs. 14 MPG when they don't need V6 power or AWD is pretty sad, when the 2.3L Fusion would've sufficed. Out of curiousity, do you realize that it IS ok for people to disagree with you and it not be personal? There always seems to be a chip on your shoulder. Sure, the Fusion will hold up 100,000 miles, as should any car on the market today. Anyone saying otherwise is just trying to push your buttons.

I'm glad you got above EPA numbers on your trip. I just got back in my Accord and did similarly to you! 36 MPG, 75 MPH (through the Ozark Mountains), 100% A/C use. 2 MPG better than EPA with 700 lbs of load in the car. Just proves that with the right driving style, the EPA numbers aren't as bad as people say they are. With better conditions (for both of us) the numbers will only climb (I've seen 40 MPG twice in my 4-cyl, I'll bet you might see 35 if you drove closer to 65 MPH).

Hey, urnews (I hope you read this so I'm making your name big :)), you mention your Fusion's sticker, but you never mention what you actually paid for it. Since Accords are going consistently $1,000 and more under invoice, I'd guess your Fusion did too, making your deal better than the $27k you are telling us about. Fill us in! :)

There's not a bad car in this bunch! Some are just better for some people than others, and it is usually subjective (style, interior finishings, engine sounds, ride/handling compromise).
  • altestaltest Posts: 79
    You got a nicely equipped car. I drive a 4-cyl Accord and I regret not buying V6. Grass is greener on the other side.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    With my average mileage being close to 30 MPG, the grass is only greener looking for me because my engine pollutes less! :) J/K

I really have more power than I need in a 4-cylinder. It's all relative. Embrace what you've got.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Are my eyes deceiving me? I see first place. Like I've said before, it's the best you can get for $25,000.

http://www.ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.premiumfamilysedans.1stplace.htm
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Are my eyes deceiving me? I see first place.

Your link is different than the original link posted above. His referred to cars under 21k and the I4 Accord SE took third, behind an Optima and Sonata.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    We all have different price ranges, this is true. $25,000 was my personal price limit.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Are my eyes deceiving me? I see first place. Like I've said before, it's the best you can get for $25,000.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to rankings. I'm willing to bet you can find a fist place review for most midsize cars. They're good for learning about a cars features, handling ect, but as far as ranking, it's too subjective.

I realy don't think you can go wrong with most of the midsize sedans out there. the compettion has become so intense that the quality in all of them has gone up pretty significantly.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well said. :)
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to rankings. I'm willing to bet you can find a fist place review for most midsize cars. They're good for learning about a cars features, handling ect, but as far as ranking, it's too subjective.

I realy don't think you can go wrong with most of the midsize sedans out there. the compettion has become so intense that the quality in all of them has gone up pretty significantly.

Agreed!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    With the possible exception of the Verona. Don't see much discussion about THAT car here. ;)
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Hey, urnews (I hope you read this so I'm making your name big ), you mention your Fusion's sticker, but you never mention what you actually paid for it. Since Accords are going consistently $1,000 and more under invoice, I'd guess your Fusion did too, making your deal better than the $27k you are telling us about. Fill us in!
    Grad
    We didn't get the best deal possible. They marked the $27,105 MSRP down to $24,180 and gave us $8,000 for a 2000 Mazda Miata convertible with 7,500 miles on it. (Not a misprint). We bought the car Dec. 4, 2006. All toll, we paid $16,180 for the $27,105 car.

Had we been smart, we would have ordered an SEL 14, 5-speed manual and waited a few months until convertible season (higher trade-in) arrived.

I would be much happier if the car just delivered average miles per gallon, EPA-estimated 17 for in-city driving, which is 95 percent of our travel. I don't believe that is every going to happen. We made some bad choices and are just stuck with the result. It was a cash deal. I figure the dealer made out like a bandit.

We also should have considered the Accord more closely. We just automatically figured it would have cost more when equipped like the Fusion. The AWD was a big mistake. Our climate is moderate, with very little snow each year.

The best way to describe our situation is "buyer's remorse." The next time, if there is one, I will do more homework and probably buy an Accord, an I4 at that.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Come on Boz - how can you expect average mpg when you only drive short stop-n-go trips with an average mph of 20?
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Come on Boz - how can you expect average mpg when you only drive short stop-n-go trips with an average mph of 20?
    You've got a good memory Allen. :) On the current tank we are only averaging 16 mph, even slower. But this is the year 2007. Shouldn't a 160-cubic-inch V6 engine coupled to a six-speed automatic in a 3,200-pound car at least deliver 17 mpg in almost any city-driving conditions? It makes no sense to me that we can only manage 14.8 mpg when we are both gentle drivers. I just can't fathom it. Something has to be wrong with this car.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Given that your avg. mph is only 16 on this tank, that implies that you either you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic with a goodly number of signals or stop signs, or you sit in traffic and your vehicle idles a great deal. Either way, it would seem that your driving is definitely not conducive to good mileage, even with a gentle foot on the gas pedal. What I would suggest you try, if possible, is to try and replicate the EPA test cycle and see what happens. Here is a link to the test variables:

EPA Test cycles

When you get there, click on the tab "Detailed Comparison". The table listed will show you the the major test variables the EPA uses to determine mileage. If you can find a way to replicate the environment and test and then your vehicle still falls far short of the city mileage, then maybe there is a problem. Chances are though if you can replicate the test you will find that your car can meet the test results. Either way, maybe it will help reduce your "buyer's remorse". ;)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Shouldn't a 160-cubic-inch V6 engine coupled to a six-speed automatic in a 3,200-pound car at least deliver 17 mpg in almost any city-driving conditions?

Nope. Consider that for every minute you're stopped in traffic or moving very slowly you'd have to spend an equal time at highway speed getting 34 mpg to average 17.

You need a smaller engine that consumes less fuel when idling or better yet a hybrid that shuts off when stopped.

Or get a longer, faster commute.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    From the type of driving you face, it isn't likely that you are getting into 6th gear (maybe not even 5th gear)on your typical commutes.