Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Well, not quite mid-sized, but $10k for a new Elantra (mid-sized inside) sounds pretty nice!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    listed in Edmunds comparison tool shows the Malibu to have a 40.4 ft turning circle vs the Mazda6 at 38.7 ft. Before I bought my current Mazda6 I read all the reviews I could find and it seems like every review found fault with the large turning radius of the car. I don't recall any reviewers slamming the Malibu for an even larger turning circle.

BTW, the Sonata's is only 35.8 ft.
    Hmmm... some sources put the Malibu's turning circle at 40 feet. But some put it at 36 feet. Are there different ways to measure turning circle?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Hmmm... some sources put the Malibu's turning circle at 40 feet. But some put it at 36 feet. Are there different ways to measure turning circle?

The 4 cyl and the 6 cyl might use different steering racks, like in the Accords (the 4cyl has a tighter turning circle than the V6 prior to 2008).

I think the VW Vanagon and the Toyota Van of the 80s, where the front wheels were under the driver's tushie, seemed to have pretty incredible turning circles if the front overhang cleared the curb.
    Cars.com specs put Malibu Turning Radius at 20.2 ' which would obviously be 40.4' turning circle.

The Car Connection specs put it at 40.4' also.

New Car Test Drive also shows 40.4'.

I pulled up the 4cyl each time. Don't know if the 6cyl stats are different.

Anyway, I think it's a good example of how things work in the review world. A reviewer just happens to pick up on something and everyone else just apes it. Similarly, if the first few reviewers don't really notice something, it may go unreported entirely.

I remember test driving a Sonata and the salesman pointed out the tight turning radius and I was impressed with it. I don't mind the turning radius(38.7') on my Mazda6 but all the reviewers sure did. It just seemed strange that they all thought it was too large on the 6 but never mention it on the Malibu. This among other things has proven to me that all these "professional" reviews must really be taken with a grain of salt and the only test drive that really matters is your own.
  • karsickkarsick Posts: 312
    FWIW-

My last car, an Infiniti G20t, had a h u g e turning radius... Annoying when parking, but I assume was also part of the reason the CV joints & axles lasted over 250k miles.

I sure wouldn't let that one spec keep me from buying a car I liked.
    I sure wouldn't let that one spec keep me from buying a car I liked

Nor I. I like to do the pluses and minuses and that's just one of the minuses. Like I said, it sure didn't stop me from buying the M6 even though the reviewers had problems with it. Slight adjustment is all when parking mostly.

The G20T was a nice looking little car. Wish Infiniti had not stopped making it. It was ahead of it's time and with gas prices what they are people would probably be willing to pay for the luxury in a small package. Although the Cimmaron didn't do well in the 70s when we had the last gas crisis. The G20T and the Cimmaron are obviously different cars; quality and looks especially.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Some 6 owners have commented on the difficulty parking in tight spots. I haven't heard of Malibu owners complaining about this,,,yet. A lot of things affect turning radius, like engine type, engine placement, suspension, size of the wheels and tires, and the width of the car. Doesn't help if the car is narrow, and the engine is large. They want to have a low center of gravity (better handling and stability), so they lower the engine, but other things, like turning radius, are compromised.
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    I did notice that my turning radius didn't seem much worse in my Sonata vs older Elantra. That elantra had a pretty slick 33' radius. Being in something with a 40' radius would have probably made me go insane when doing u-turns/3-points. I wonder what differences in design/wheelbase cause a 4.5' difference comparing midsize sedans.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Some 6 owners have commented on the difficulty parking in tight spots

Add me to that list.

While my 2005 Mazda6 has some short comings, I still love it, and I am not looking to replace it.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,062
    Despite the soft economy new mid-size car sales were up for May and for the year-to-date. The table below from the Wall Street Journal is from the Top 20 vehicles current month's sales.

Make/May 08 Sales/% Change from May 07/YTD 2008 Sales/% Change from 2007 YTD
    Toyota Camry/…51,291/…2.3%/…198,309/…2.3%
    Honda Accord/…43,728/…37%/…166,158/…8.3%
    Chevy Impala/…23,803/…(33.3%)/…122,281/…(15.4%)
    Ford Fusion/…18,088/…26.7%/…73,197/…10.5%
    Chevy Malibu/…15,634/…51.3%/…73,760/…40%

From the above it is clear that the Camry and Accord sales more than 3 times that of the Malibu. With such low volume sales it does not appear that GM’s $100 million advertising campaign for Malibu is working effectively.

The figures above include Hybrid sales for the Accord and Camry. By the way, neither the Sonata nor the Altima made it in the top 20.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    How can you say that GM's advertising on the Malibu is not working? They have increased sales by 40% over last year, while Toyota is up only 2.3% and Honda is up 8.3%. Even Ford has a higher increase in YTD sales then Honda and Toyota, and Honda has a new Accord!! Thats bad for Honda!

The purpose of advertising is to increase sales. GM has done what with the Malibu. BTW, The Accord is only selling little more then 2 times more then Malibu.
    FYI, the Altima was #7 in May, selling just below the Ford and Chevy pickups. And Sonata sales were up about 12% and Elantra (mid-sized by volume) up 46%. Elantra fell just out of the top 20, with nearly 14,000 sales.
    There's no way a mostly overlooked car such as the Malibu will suddenly rise to Camry/Accord sales after a year of finally having a competitive model. At best, the Malibu could hit sales parity in 5 or so years assuming a lot of changeover from japanese to american... somehow I doubt it'll happen. At best I think GM is looking to hit half the sales of a Camry/Accord, that would be a huge boost imho.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    Exactly. Accord and Camry didn't sell 400K/year the first few years either. It takes 4-5 generations of steady improvements to build up a recurring buyer base large enough to sustain those types of sales numbers. The Fusion, e.g., is just now eligible for repeat buyers since it's been out for just over 2.5 years now. And that's only for those with 2 yr leases. We'll have to wait another year or so for the 3 yr lease rollovers and probably another year after that for repeat purchasers.

And Accord/Camry won't lose all of those customers overnight, just like the others won't gain them that quickly.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    It seems to me that all the consumers not buying F-150s and Silverados would be buying Fusions and Malibus. Some of them are, but many are not. Ford and GM would not make as much profit on the cars, but at least they would be selling something. From the numbers I've seen, most of the fuel conscious buyers are choosing the Civic, Corolla, Camry, or Accord. Bad news for Detroit.
    Well I'm sure this will be discussed, but for mid-size cars...here's that initial love!

1. Chevy Malibu
    2. Mitsubishi Galant (WHOA SURPRISE!)
    3. Ford Fusion

Interesting that the top 3 has no Honda or Toyota, instead we have the two big american makers and a surprise japanese brand with a terrible rep. Discuss! ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    JD Power has never had results favoring CRs favorites.

I remember the old Sonata winning this award a time or two, myself.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,455
    Why do you feel it necessary to post the same exact information in multiple forums?

Just curious...
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    It seems to me that all the consumers not buying F-150s and Silverados would be buying Fusions and Malibus. Some of them are, but many are not. ...... From the numbers I've seen, most of the fuel conscious buyers are choosing the Civic, Corolla, Camry, or Accord.

There is NO way for you to know that. You're just making wild, biased guesses that can't be proven or dis proven. No pickup driver who uses their truck would trade it for a car. Neither will most SUV drivers. Large pickups might be replaced by smaller pickups (ranger sales were up recently) and SUVs might be replaced by CUVs (I just traded a V8 Aviator for a V6 Edge). Large/midsized cars might be replaced by smaller cars.

Incidentally, focus retail sales are DOUBLE (103%) what they were last year and had it's best sales month ever in May. Convenient that you left it out of the list.