Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    I will agree with you. The rating of the Malibu is very good. People that buy the Malibu have nearly nothing but good things to say about it. Heck, if you look at the consumer reviews on here, it ranks even higher than how people see the Altima. 9.6... that's pretty close to perfect in my book.

I still stand by my purchase though. In terms of a sporty and fun car to drive, the Altima is still king in my book. I really liked the way the Malibu drove, but it felt a little heavier than the Altima (the Malibu is a bigger car) None the less, for the price listed on the Altima 2.5 SL I got, I could have gotten a V6 LTZ Malibu... and even though the Altima only came with a 4-cyl, the CVT and handling of the Altima more than make up for the loss of power. I also think the Altima's interior is more on the sporty side rather than the side of luxury exhibited by the Malibu. I'm absolutely in love with the orange LCD displays and the white & orange guages seen on the Altima. It reminds me more of an upscale modern German car at night.

I really liked the Malibu, but I liked the Altima more.
  • dgs4dgs4 Posts: 66
    Wrong! The last thing I am is a fool who would fall for an amateur sales technique like that.

I was already sold on the car long before I stepped in the finance office. I was an easy customer for all involved at the dealership that day actually since I fell in love with car the moment I test drove it. No selling involved, the car sold itself. The Finance Manager had zero reason to share that story with me to get my business because the paperwork was all signed and I was getting ready to leave. It was genuine, and don't think he's the only one. Lots of people driving more car than they can afford in image conscious America. He showed me the car before I drove off, and it was great looking, no doubt. But he learned a hard lesson about keeping up with the Joneses. He's lucky too, because lots of people in situation don't ever get help from their relatives to bail them out of trouble.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    I was commenting about someone else's using historical opinions of Malibu's reliability rather than more current info. I was not questioning your logic or statements.

A lot of opinions in Edmunds are based on old info on GM cars, for example. And that's what I was pointing out.

This message has been approved.

• cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    JD Power just released rankings for initial dependability of 2008 models. The Accord did not rank in the top 3 for the midsize sedan category. The top 3 cars were the Chevy Malibu, Mitsubishi Galant, and Ford Fusion. The Accord only received "2 dots" for the Powertrain quality - design category. Hmmmm.....

The #1 rated car in the subcompact category was the Honda Fit
    The #1 rated car in the compact category was the Honda Civic
    The #1 rated car in the compact SUV category was the Honda CRV

Overall, as a brand, Honda ranked "about average" or "better than most" for most of the categories.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings-by-category/midsize-car

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings-by-brand

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0806/gallery.jd_power_iqs/2.html
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    I'm a little disappointed in the numbers on this little baby. Was hoping more for 35/45 or something similar. Not that I'd buy a VW as of yet, but I'm really interested in the turbodiesels for a future car buy in 8-10 years. Hopefully they'll actually be in the 35/45 or higher range by then and available from a lot more car makers. Anyways I still think it's an interesting option for people out there to avoid having to buy a silly prius or similar. 31/40 is still better than most including all the small gas cars out there.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Here is something rather fishy: the Fusion and Milan are virtually identical, except for trim differences. They are built in the same factory, side by side. Yet the Fusion scored 5 on Overall Quality in the IQS, while Milan scored only 3. What is more, the two cars had the same score in two subcategories, the Fusion outscored the Milan 4 to 3 in Body and Interior Quality, Mechanical, and the Milan outscored the Fusion 3 to 2 in Features and Accessory Quality, Mechanical. So pretty even in the subcategories. Yet a huge difference in the overall score.

Why is that? I also noticed the Avenger and Sebring, which share a platform and assembly line but have major interior and exterior differences (moreso than the Fusion and Milan), have identical scores.

And while I'm at it... don't the Aura and Malibu share the same powertrains? Yet the Malibu scored 5 on Powertrain Quality and the Aura only 3.

OK, one more... there were some differences in scoring between the Legacy and Outback. One was on overall quality. Yet they are just different versions of the same car, built on the same assembly line.

Strange.
  • karsickkarsick Posts: 312
    ... good observation.

.... and also why I don't put much faith in JD Power rankings.

It all has to do with the persective & opinions of the car owners.

Hypothetical: What if a bigger % of Fusion owners were conquest sales from former Accord/Camry/Altima owners, and if typical Milan owners were elderly folks whose past car experiences were a series of older Detroit iron.

(just a hypothetical, mind you ;) )

Would that cloud their opinions about their current (mechanically identical) cars?
    Or maybe the Milan owners paid a little more than the Fusion owners, so they expected more from Ford's upscale brand. OTOH, maybe the Malibu owners didn't expect much and their expectations were exceeded. I dunno... that could explain, though, why Acura got the same brand ratings across the board as Hyundai. Acura owners might expect perfection, and when they don't get it, they put low marks on surveys?

But notice the ratings at the right somewhat track the JD Power IQS ratings. Malibu on top, Accord and Mazda6 down the list, and Altima, Aura, Camry, Sonata in between.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    I have to agree with backy on this one. The fact that this car exceeded most peoples' expectations makes this car a personal victory for GM and its subsidiaries.The previous Malibus weren't up to the task of tackling the Accord, Camry, and Altima, even though it was always touted by Chevy to do so. However, this time, Chevy touted that it would compete with the Accord, Camry, and Altima, and it DOES this time around. This is a great achievement by Chevy. They've created a sedan that is on the same playing field as the big Japanese companies, and that is commendable. Let's hope that their future cars also follow this example. If it does, I will more than likely switch back to domestic sooner rather than later... No use spending extra $$$ when you can get something just as good for less.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Let's say an Aura owner's car failed to start one fine day. The owner had to have the car towed to the dealership (two miles), and everything was fixed early the next day.

Then a Malibu owner has the exact same thing happen, except he was on vacation two states away from home. He spends two or three days of his vacation trying to get his car back on the road.

Ok, the Aura owner had this happen to him 6 months before the survey, and the (exact same) problem happened to the Malibu owner only 2 weeks before the survey. Which vehicle do you think would get the least favorable marks?

One man's small problem, can be another man's nightmare. Both cars had the same problem, but the survey will likely not show it that way. I only find survey results reliable, if they show consistent results over many years. And still, they are questionable.
    Statistically viable surveys would have a large enough sample size to cancel out individual variations like that. But then, we really don't know the sample size per vehicle, do we?

Note that the sample sizes on the right are pretty small, the largest being for the Accord with only 331 responses as of this posting. And in a way, those are like the IQS because the reviews tend to be written early on in the car's life.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    Back in the 80's I was on the JD Power survey list for my newly purchased 1985 Ford F-250, so I do give credence to the JD Power results.

Also as a former subscriber and responder to CR and its surveys, I used to believe their stats. But ever since James Guest, formerly of Handgun Control Inc. became CR's President-CEO, I haven't believed a lying word CR has to offer. I immediately noticed a difference of opinion of products CR reviewed versus what the owners of those products I knew had to say. Then CR made public its rubber stamping of quality reviews, particularly Toyota's, and the rest is history. The reviews were also slanted toward anything 'green', despite no history to back it up. This never occurred before James Guest.

So if JD Power initial surveys report Honda quality below a Ford, I believe it. Long term surveys may yield a different result, but until JD Power gets caught stuffing the ballot box of public opinion, I'll believe it. OTOH I'll probably never own another Ford as mine saw a lot of shop time, and JD Power got that in their surveys too.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Back in the 80's I was on the JD Power survey list for my newly purchased 1985 Ford F-250, so I do give credence to the JD Power results.

Also as a former subscriber and responder to CR and its surveys, I used to believe their stats.

We got a JD Power IQS survey in 2005, threw it out as it was way to long and involved, I can't imagine who would bother with all their inanane questions, so I give litte creedance to that survey. I also was a CR subscriber long ago and after getting their survey, I began discounting the results as too subjective.

I've not yet experienced a JD Power 3 year dependability survey, but I take that one with a grain of salt as well.
  • stbarnstbarn Posts: 2
    I noticed a while back that there is something fishy woth J.D. Power ratings. In my estimation the initial quality of their rankings is worthy of about 1 dot, and not worth the time (wasted) it takes to bother looking at them. :lemon: :sick:
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,061
    I noticed a while back that there is something fishy woth J.D. Power ratings. In my estimation the initial quality of their rankings is worthy of about 1 dot, and not worth the time (wasted) it takes to bother looking at them.

I think this is an offensive and unfair statement that borders on defamation of the organization’s integrity and character. Perhaps you have not perused the J.D. Power questionnaire. If you did you would not have made this malicious remark. It is a well constructed and nuanced instrument that captures almost every aspect of the ownership experience.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    JD Powers 3 year reliability survey. Does this survey take into account who the owner is (age, driving habits)? My uncle owns a Buick, and in three years he might put 5k miles on it. Some drivers go that far in 6 months. You will not find much fault with your car, if it sits in the garage most of the time. I wonder if the type of driver who typically owns a Buick, has something to do with it's high rating. If his 20 year old grandson drove the car for a year, things might change a bit.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Swell idea.
    I had a chance to test-drive two cars near the top of my "consider" list today, the Optima LX and Sonata GLS, so that's what I did. Guess which one I liked better? (I was surprised, you may be too.)

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef16b02/202
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    I had a chance to test-drive two cars near the top of my "consider" list today, the Optima LX and Sonata GLS, so that's what I did. Guess which one I liked better? (I was surprised, you may be too.)

Very insightful (and helpful) review Backy. Thanks. Boz