Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,690
    thanks for that info. it seemed to me like the couple was talking down their noses about the cars being compared.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    A Toyota TV commercial in Indy last week. I've seen it a couple times.
  • midas69midas69 Posts: 118
    Looks like they changed the commercial. The one I saw yesterday now says $1 million per hour rather than per minute. That makes a little more sense.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,752
    over the fact that "midsized" has redefined over the past 10-20 years to be what we would have called "very large" in the past?

Today the Civic, Corolla, and Jetta are pretty much midsized by older standards. Midsized today is too darn big. :cry:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Technically, what we think of as "midsized" cars from 20 years ago were EPA compacts.

• vigorlovervigorlover Posts: 40
    I was quite dismayed last month to find that my "midsize" car from Hertz was a Corolla. This despite the fact that their website says midsize is "Mazda6 or equivalent". I bet Mazda would be pissed to find out that Hertz considers Corolla to be the Mazda6 equivalent.
    She drove Jetta TDI last night and liked it. (each time I take her to a new dealership she likes that car the best: Mazda6 -> 2011 Sonata -> 2007 TSX -> Jetta TDI ) She may even talk herself into wanting the SportWagon.

What do you guys think about Jetta TDI? Overpriced? Reliability concerns? Wait for the 2011?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    Yeah, those rental car size categories can be kind of misleading to me. Get an upgrade from full size and you get an Impala with leather instead of cloth! I've noticed Hertz seems to have gotten a crap load of Toyota's recently. They probably bought smart at the bottom of the UA crisis.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    (each time I take her to a new dealership she likes that car the best: Mazda6 -> 2011 Sonata -> 2007 TSX -> Jetta TDI )

Well, then for sure don't let her test-drive a TSX or a CTS or anything that's pricey :P
    2007 TSX is my preference for her, can be had for less than $22k, which is $5-6k cheaper than a new Prius IV or Jetta TDI. She is hung up on gas mileage though.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    edited May 2010
    Not all of 'em, some were midsize even to EPA

and I think better looking, too.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    What do you guys think about Jetta TDI? Overpriced? Reliability concerns? Wait for the 2011?

The TDI engines should be around for well over 250K miles, as long as the car itself doesn't blow up before then. A friend of mine bought a '99 and '00 Golf TDI for his floral business, after owning a Rabbit Diesel that got over 300K miles. Unfortunately, both cars were affected with electrical gremlins (typical of VW as of late), and after the '99 needed a whole new fuel system and turbo, and the '00 lost it's second transmission, they were both retired with less than 120K miles on each, and my friend didn't quite get the $$$$ savings he expected (if any).

I've heard that VW quality has indeed improved over the past two years or so, but personally, I still wouldn't drop a dime on a new one just yet. They are a bit pricey, but they offer a ton of standard equipment, and the interiors are quite nice.

As for the '11, if you can wait, do so until the '11s hit the dealer lots. If they aren't that impressive, you should be able to get a good deal on any left-over '10s.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Great design by Ford in the late 80's, early 90's. I think it still looks good.
    A large part of them were, though! The Taurus was big enough that they brought out the Contour to compete more directly with the more lithe Accord, 626, Altima-size cars in the early/mid 90s, right? I can't remember when it made its really round debut. :)
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    Or she could get a new Sonata Limited for about $24K and it wouldn't be three years old and it'd still have 100k mile warranty left. Not to mention 4 MPG better on the highway and a lot more space. Just my opinion of course, the TSX is a nice car but the resale is so high that buying one used is almost a ripoff. I mean the new one starts at $29K, so you only save $7K (less than 25%) by taking it used? That is not very much compared to the savings you could get on other 2007 models.
    Yes, first year for Contour was 1995...I have no idea if the reason was to compete against the fake midsize cars from Japan ;) .

Others that were midsize according to EPA criteria were the Lumina and the Plymouth Acclaim (and Dodge whateveritwas). I also looked at the Passat, and it too made was EPA midsize.
    The Acclaim and Spirit ;) were midsize? They look so small in size; Tempo-like. I always thought of the Lumina as a full-sizer in how it was sold, much how I view the Taurus (they have evolved into the Impala and, well, the Taurus today). My '96 Accord sedan is my relative measuring stick here. All 33 inches of rear-legroom. :)

Tina Turner crossed her legs in the back seat of Plymouth Acclaim in their TV commercial, so it must have been big, right? :)
    MSRP of 2011 Sonata Limited is $26k (no Nav, she likes her Garmin), I have a 2007 TSX (no Nav) in my sights at a dealer listed at $22k which looks brand new, and is still in warranty. So a $4k difference to start. I don't know if Hyundai is willing to deal on the 2011 Sonata right now as it is recent and selling fairly well I understand.

Personally, I just like TSX better. Yes it is a little smaller and gets slightly lower mileage (and uses Premium gas, but at today's prices is just 7% higher than regular) but the interior is so much nicer. Sonata looks very nice but much of it is hard plastic, and the leather is not so soft either. My girlfriend is currently driving a 2000 Corolla, so just about anything will be larger and a big step up.

In any case, she is pretty well sold on Jetta TDI now. I will have to look into when the 2011 will come out, and see if she is willing to wait for it.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,293
    The 2011 jettat will have a serious makeover. No deals there but the 2010's may have better deals before the intro.
    That's what EPA says, regarding the Acclaim/Spirit.

Meanwhile, while you were pretending that your Accord was midsize ;) , the compact Contour was getting slammed for a cramped back seat? With 34.3 inches of rear seat leg room :confuse: .
    I implied it was shopped as a midsize (its similar in size to my folks' 2007 Civic), but it definitely doesn't have legroom for people over 5'10" to sit in the back!
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Are you sure you're not confusing the Acclaim/Spirit with the smaller Shadow/Sundance?

I was selling these beasts in the spring of 1990, and the Acclaim/Spirit were generally cross-shopped with the slightly larger Taurus, Century, et al.
    I am sure I'm thinking of the right car (our neighbor had one many moons ago, a light blue Acclaim). As an adult I've always put them in the same size class as the Grand-Am, Contour, Alero, 626, Gen II Altima, etc. That size class has all-but-disappeared in the last five years, but the "economy" cars are approaching this size class now.

I never had seat-time in a Spirit/Acclaim, so I'm going by what I remember, albeit vaguely.

Now that I think of it, my junior-high band director drove a dark green Dodge Spirit V6, and uplevel model.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Interesting, two cars seats and a booster in the back seat at the same time? The only car I was able to do that in was my 2001 Crown Vic. My 2010 Fusion Sport has 2 car seats in it now, and they are a breeze to get in and out. The perfect family car for a family with 3 kids is the Flex, very easy to get in and out of, and VERY easy to install car seats in.
  • yongseokyongseok Posts: 7
    Hello folks,

I'm a kind of newbie in this forum and I have hesitated it for a long time but I decide to post about my 09' Accord or 10' Accord acceleration (LX-P / 2.4l / v4).

Actually, I read plenty of articles about "09 Accord v4 has ample power" and "more sporty driving" than Camry and other midsize sedan.

However, I realized that it's not that fast (I know. I don't expect Porsche's acc eleartion from my Accord). Even it's "much" slower than my 08' Volkswagen Rabbit.
    Also, for the sporty driving, what I can feel is only "loud road noise". The car leans a lot in cornering and after 60-70mph, it's really hard to accelerate in normal way. To reach around 80mph, I really did "floor" it. (Not at all in my Rabbit)

I know Accord is more family sedan than Rabbit but I'm very disappointed at this.

I'm not really sure if it's happening at my car but the mileage is only 12,000 and this is bothering me a lot.

Do I expect too much? Also I can read a lot of evaluation results which are saying 09', 10' Accord is one of the slowest car in this segment.

I would like to listen you guru's opinion on this.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,293
    Your concerns seem consistent with many reviews. I think the 4 cyl camry feels quicker. Comparing them to your rabbit isn't fair. The jetta and probably the passat would give you the euro ride in a more family friendly car. If you had bought an acura tsx or got the V6 in the accord you would likely be smiling now instead of posting on this thread.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    The perfect family car for a family with 3 kids is the Flex, very easy to get in and out of, and VERY easy to install car seats in.

As long as you don't EVER have to park next to anyone, or in the garage next to a car you like. A perfect car for a family with 3 kids is one with SLIDING DOORS. My Ford friends either 1. dont put the Flex in the garage, 2. only put the Flex in the garage, or 3. have Miatas/Mustangs that look like golf balls.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    You must have a small garage. I've parked Expeditions and Explorers alongside midsize cars and never had a problem opening the doors.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    As long as you don't EVER have to park next to anyone, or in the garage next to a car you like

Funny, I park mine in the garage everyday, next to a Grand Marquis, and there is plenty of room to get in and out, from both sides!. Mini vans are for wimps, real people drive a Flex! LOL :shades: The doors on the Flex are not that much bigger than the ones on my Fusion Sport. The ones on my F350 however are huge, and there is only enough room to get in from one side if parked in the garage.