Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    A interesting post and indicative of GM's plight - the customer expects a trouble-free vehicle at a giveaway price.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Also indicative of the extremely tough market for mid-sized cars, and vehicles in general this year. The fact is, reliable if not trouble-free mid-sized cars are available for a give-away price these days--and not just the G6. For example, how about a nicely equipped sedan with all the power accessories, ESC/traction, six airbags, decent audio system with at least six speakers, CD/MP3 (and maybe satellite radio), and possibly other niceties like alloys and fog lamps for under $15k + T&L? These days it's impossible to find a new Civic or Corolla for that kind of money.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Also indicative of the extremely tough market for mid-sized cars,

It's a tough market for mid-size cars, but not a tough market for the Accord.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    Watch how fast they convert truck/SUV plants to produce small cars.
    Yeah right IN MEXICO, of course. As long as Ford (and the other 'American' Cos.) continue to put real Americans on the the unemployment line they will play hell getting any of my dollars.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Yeah right IN MEXICO

Last time I checked Louisville, KY and Avon Lake, OH were in the United States. But don't let the facts stop your biased tirades.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Interior volume is a silly way to categorize cars as demonstrated by the fact that EPA says the Malibu is midsize but the Pontiac G6 is compact.

Prius is not midsize on the inside or the outside. Here are inside measurements of width:

Front Shoulder Room 55 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room 52.9 in..
    Front Hip Room 51 in.
    Rear Hip Room 51.6 in.

Here they are for the barely midsize Mazda6:

Front Shoulder Room 55.9 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room 55.2 in..
    Front Hip Room 54.7 in.
    Rear Hip Room 54.1 in.

More empty space above your head, under the windshield, and wherever else the Prius has added volume over actual midsize cars, does not make a narrow car midsize, no matter what EPA classifications may say about it.

The inside and outside dimensions of the Prius are similar to other compacts, such as Corolla, Civic, Jetta.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Use your money more wisely, stay away from the G6 it's identical to the old Malibu, if your going to use your points get the new Malibu. Or better yet test drive them both and drive them hard you will see a big difference.
    The Sonata sales increase is really due to getting a better bang for your buck like in options vs the Acc. & Cam.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Not a tough market for Camry either. Camry was down a little in June, but in May Camry sold 51k, vs. 44k for the Accord. They both dominate the segment, and the biggest problem Toyota and Honda have is the huge demand for these cars.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Sonata sales increase is really due to getting a better bang for your buck like in options vs the Acc. & Cam.

But it has always had more bang for your buck vs. Camry and Accord, since the current model Sonata debuted a few years ago. That doesn't explain the current increase. The upgrades to the interior does (I'd look a lot harder at it now than I did back in '05 when I decided on my Accord).
    so now they don't produce the Fusion in Mexico as well as many of their trucks and engines etc., and they didn't just make a wonderful decision to refit a truck plant down there to produce their new Fiesta?????
    Your continual company shill lines get very tiring and then you accuse me of not having my facts straight? :mad:
    Three years ago the economy wasn't as it is today so money becomes more important in peoples hands, they will be satisified with a second rat car because they belive what people write about the car especially CR, check out the banging noise from the front end issuse on the Sonta going over simple bumps, did CR report that.
    I said they were refitting truck and suv plants to make more cars and you implied that they were only doing this in Mexico, which isn't true.

You also conveniently forget that Ford moved Focus production OUT of Mexico and BACK to the U.S. exclusively back in 2005. It works both ways.

One reason they build vehicles in Mexico is because they can be exported to Latin and South America without tariffs or restrictions.

Don't gripe about the Fiesta not being built in the U.S. while the Fit, Yaris, Versa and almost all other B cars are also imported. I'm tired of seeing Ford get bashed while the imports get a free pass for doing the SAME THING.
    well don't get too tired of watching Ford get bashed - they deserve it for putting more Americans out of work than any other American based Co. (I can think of) They could have refitted one of the dozens of US plants they have recently closed to build the 'new' subcompact but no-o-o , let's support the Mexican economy. Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai, for example, can spend literally billions building plants all over this country not to mention provided tens of thousands of employed taxpayers. Right now and apparently in the future the only country that may benefit from Ford's existence is probably Mexico - economically Ford probably does more damage than good in this country, and it's getting worse.
    Thanks for the update on the Accord. I had no idea they were all selling for at least MSRP, since this is not a tough market for selling them.
    I'm reading lots of stories on the Accord Prices-Paid and Buying Experience forum about Accords for at least $2,000 under sticker. :P
    So now it comes down to how wide a car is inside? If someone is tall, or of someone needs to carry two long-legged adults in back frequently, interior height or legroom could be more important than width.

But if width is important, then I guess the Elantra is definitely mid-sized. It is within fractions of an inch of the width inside of the Mazda6. Plus the Elantra has more front leg room than the Mazda6.

If you really need those extra inches of steel and plastic outside to call your car "mid-sized", go ahead. To me, it's what's inside that counts.
    That seems very odd, since apparently this is not a challenging market for the Accord. Why would dealers give discounts like that on Accords when they don't have to? :confuse:
    I'm not even going to respond to such a ridiculous statement. Go find the number of vehicles produced in the U.S. and the total number of people employed by Ford, Honda and Toyota (including sales and service) and report back.
    Perhaps the poster is a little optimistic about the model of car they drive.