Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    It's possible - they already said the hybrid would beat the Camry hybrid which is currently at 34 mpg highway. The exact quote was "The new Fusion, with a new 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, will get more than 34 miles per gallon on the highway, Kuzak said." You'd think he would have said hybrid if that's what he meant, but maybe not.

Even if it is referring to the hybrid, the non-hybrids will get at least 32. The Mazda version still uses a 5 speed transmission whereas the Fords will use a new 6 speed.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    The Mazda version still uses a 5 speed transmission whereas the Fords will use a new 6 speed.

Remember that the Mazda 5-speed ATX has a manual mode too. You can safely bet that it will be geared towards performance rather than max fuel econ which would explain some of the difference.
  • milkman1milkman1 Posts: 80
    Here is the new article in question on the Fusion. It's actually out of Automotive News.

link title
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I didn't get much out of that. Sounds like what every other manufacturer says about upcoming products.
    Have you ever heard Ford proclaim best in class fuel economy? I haven't, because they've never achieved it as far as I can remember. It was never a corporate priority before. And Kuzack wouldn't be announcing something like that if they weren't absolutely certain. The cars are only 4 months away.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Since the Fusion is one of the smallest cars in the class, it shouldn't be too hard to get the best mileage. Was Kuzak saying he wanted fuel economy, at the expense of everything else? Will the transmission shift too soon (like the Malibu), or will they sacrifice performance, for the sake of an MPG or two?
  • auld_dawgauld_dawg Posts: 40
    Since Mazda's redesign, I believe that the Fusion/ Milan has a 200lb or more weight advantage {less being better}.

Might help this somewhat.........
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Since Mazda's redesign, I believe that the Fusion/ Milan has a 200lb or more weight advantage {less being better}.

Actually, I went to test drive the Mazda6 and they told me I had to lose 15 lbs before I could even test drive it. :sick: They might be getting carried away with this weight savings... :D

I kid, I kid...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Will the transmission shift too soon (like the Malibu)

Is that how the Malibu gets 33 mpg hwy for the I4 in the 2009 model? Is the fallout from the new EPA mpg test, which features greater acceleration? The old test only had very light acceleration, so I would guess early shifting could be have been restricted to only those conditions and now they would, perhalps, extend it to other conditions.
    Why are you ignoring the extra gear in the transmission? That plus wind resistance likely has more effect on highway mileage than weight.
    I really doubt 200 lbs would make a dent in FE, let along a 4 mpg impact.

I know when I have a 200 lb passenger in my 05 Mazda6, my FE does not go down at all.
    I'm not really sure if the up coming TL is actually a mid sizer or not, however, I thought I would comment on the official photo Acura released. I like it, except for the grille. What the heck happened?? What is with Acura and their need to put a shield on the front of their new designs?!
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    It's becoming a recurring theme at the Honda/Acura design center. FAIL.
    I know when I have a 200 lb passenger in my 05 Mazda6, my FE does not go down at all.

I recently read something that claimed every 25 pounds reduces mpg by 1%. If true, that's mean an 8% drop in FE with an additional 200 pounds.

I can not believe that it would have that much impact. OTOH, if your car weighs 3000 pounds and you reduce that by 2500 pounds, you would certainly get a big increase in mpg and 25 pounds would be 1% of that change in weight.

EPA says: An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml
    That would apply more to city FE but on the highway it doesn't take much hp to keep an extra 200 lbs moving compared to the HP required to overcome wind resistance at higher speeds. That's why mileage drops so much when you go from 60 to 80 e.g.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,950
    I don't know where it is exactly in the Illinois code but where I got the info from was the Chicago Tribune. Every once in awhile someone will write in to the Sunday Transportation Section editors with a question about doc fees and they explain the state law in detail. It's always the same rule about charging everybody the same amount, etc but the amount allowed is revised upward(of course) every few years.
    Yes, they have an interesting chart on that too...

• moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    Heh that looks like for a pretty terrible car. Most mid-size sedans get over 35mpg at 55, probably closer to 40. And I know mine gets over 30mpg even at 75-80.
    It's always the same rule about charging everybody the same amount

Which is meaningless in the end, since the price paid is the document fee plus vehicle price.
    Who said it was even a real car? It's just an example. And I doubt the average person could get 40 mpg in a midsized sedan even at 55.