Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Wow! :surprise:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    There are also people...who are able to tell...if the oil is low, just by driving the vehicle...

Do you mean you can tell if it is just a quart low or only if there is about one quart left?
  • Maybe not if it is a quart low, but definitely before there is only 1 quart left. What I said was "low" without specifying the amount.
    van
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I can tell when my car is down a quart. I sounds differently.
    Had a Kia Optima rental car for a week in WY, MT, ID. The car had 4500 miles on it when we rented it. We did not like it at all and next time I am renting, if they say "it's a Kia Optima", I'll be asking if there are any other options.

The seat cushion was a bit too short to be really comfortable for me, but this is the case with a lot of cars such as: Camry, Sebring, and Malibu (at least the previous version).

I am about 5/10' or 11" and had the seat all the way back, which has never been the case in any other vehicle. I also jacked the seat up to it's highest positon to maximize leg room. I would still have even liked the seat to go back a bit farther, but even if it did the steering wheel would have then been too far away. I do tend to like the steering wheel to telescope out a long way and only a few cars have enough telescoping to really suit me.

The plastic on the top of the dash was so shiny that I had glare from the sun reflecting off of it. In addition, the image of the shiny dash would reflect on the windshield making it difficult to see. However, I am not sure if the horrible shiny dash was a feature of the car or was due to an oily build-up of cleaning products.

I did not care for the vague steering or cornering ability, I guess it is tuned to appeal to the would-be Camry buyer rather than those like me who prefer cars like the Mazda6. It was a smooth quiet ride and it did track very straight on the roads, I could take both hands off the wheel for an extended period of time and it went straight ahead (this does not happen with my Mazda6).
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    What model year Optima did you have?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Interesting, your experience with the Optima is a 180 from my test drive of an LX I4 with the 5AT. I am 5'10" also (32" inseam) and I had plenty of legroom with the seat height (manual) about 1/2 way. The front seat wasn't even close to being at the back of its rearward travel. But I don't think I had the steering column pulled out all the way. I found the driver's seat to be very comfortable, with good thigh and back support. But you drove it for longer than I did. There was no glare problem, on a sunny day. The dash was low-gloss plastic so I'm not sure why the dash in your car was glossy. And I thought the steering and cornering were quite good, sharper than Camry or Sonata (I drove a 2009 Sonata shortly after the Optima, on the same course) but less crisp than a Mazda6. The car I drove had the standard 16" wheels. What was on your rental? 17" are pretty common with the LX (any car with ABS/ESC has those) and on the EX also. Was your car a V6 or I4, and which trim?
  • elkeinelkein Posts: 19
    I have the Fusion with a driver info center. The manual explains that the milage shown is based on the last 500 miles driven(less than two tanks.) It is not a long term nor an instant reading. It can be reset at any time for an effectively instant reading, or by the tank. I have verfied my computer, and am personally satisfied with it's accuracy.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Distance to Empty is based on the last 500 miles driven. The MPG readout is calculated from when you reset it last. If you never ever reset it, it'd be a lifetime average, etc...
    It was the I4 LX with 5 speed auto and, I believe, 16 inch wheels. My legs may be a bit longer, 34 inch inseam. Other than not going back quite far enough and wanting a longer seat cushion, the seat was comfortable (if that makes sense)...so for anyone for which those were not issues, it would likely be fine. I do see they list front leg room at 43.7 inches which is 1.4 inches more than my mazda6, that sure does not match what was actually available in the car I drove :confuse: .

Since it was not that way on the one you drove, perhaps the shiny dash was just from cleaning products used by the rental car company.

In answer to the other question about the model year, I had meant to check that but did not. Given that it had 4500 miles I assume it was a 2008.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    If the distance to empty is based on the last 500 miles that's pretty flippin stupid.

None of these cars get 500 miles per tank. If one drove 400 miles on a highway trip and had top fill up,and then 80 miles stuck in a traffic jam, what good would a miles to empty reading based on the last 500 miles do?
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    If the distance to empty is based on the last 500 miles that's pretty flippin stupid.

I don't know about the Fusion but cars I've seen with a trip computer measure the "range" based on the fuel left in the tank and the avg. mpg of that tank. That's how my 06 Accord computer works. If I reset it without filling the tank, the range readjusts to the current avg. mpg and the remaining fuel.

None of these cars get 500 miles per tank.
    I assume that you are not including all midsize sedans in that statement. Several of us have managed over 500 miles on one tank of gas in our generation VII Accords.

Why is this stupid? It calculates your MPG for the last 500 miles. As you continue to drive, or idle as it may be, your average will continue to be adjusted down (as I understand it, anyway).

Just check the owner's manual for more details.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    None of these cars get 500 miles per tank

I've gotten over 500 miles per tank on my Mazda6 several times but of course it was about 95-100% xpressway driving on those tanks. The fill tank light was on but I'm pretty sure I could have gone another 40-50 miles or so.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    None of these cars get 500 miles per tank.

Have you seen any of the commercials that Nissan puts on, bragging about the 600+ miles per tank? They aren't lying. I've exceeded 600 miles on a few tanks with my Altima on the highway, and I'm NOT talking about the hybrid.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    How many gallons does the Altima's tank hold?
    I've gotten over 500 miles per tank on my Mazda6 several times but of course it was about 95-100% xpressway driving on those tanks.

With an 18 gallon tank and freeway mpg of ~31-32, 500 miles would be no problem with my Mazda6 on the freeway. Most of these cars have similar tanks and mpg, so 500 miles is a realistic range for freeway driving at least for the 4 cylinder models

Since I don't drive in traffic or excessively urban areas, even my normal commute nets 27-28 mpg (at least in summer) this might get me barely to 500 miles, if I were willing to run it down to fumes.

The Altima has a 20 gallon tank and 31 mpg hwy. Since most cars do better on the freeway than the EPA hwy number (CR got 33 in the Altima), you could even get to 650 mi in that one.
  • madpistolmadpistol Posts: 126
    the new Altima has a 20-gallon tank. If a driver can manage to get about 30 mpg average, then 600+ miles per tank is technically possible. Seeing as the 2.5L 4-cyl is rated for 31mpg highway, I can see that as being possible. You'd have to baby the throttle though.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    the new Altima has a 20-gallon tank. If a driver can manage to get about 30 mpg average, then 600+ miles per tank is technically possible. Seeing as the 2.5L 4-cyl is rated for 31mpg highway, I can see that as being possible. You'd have to baby the throttle though.

Not as much as you think. With my wife and I with bags for a weekend trip, keeping the cruise set at 72-75 MPH on the highway, I can get about 33-34 MPG, making 600 miles per tank relatively painless.
    It's that simple in a lot of these vehicle. I simply set the cruise around 72 mph in my '06 Accord. With just me in the car I got ~548 miles on 14.7 gallons (my tank holds 17.1 but I hate to run too low).