Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Tks for everyone's help to my curious question. I feel it's anwered and get the intent even if I can't tell exactly what it's doing without a magnifying glass. :P
  • Click me!

Yes, the Mazda6 finishes first over the Accord and Altima.

Check out the overall fuel economy that edmunds got in their tests:
    Mazda6: 20 MPG
    Accord: 18 MPG
    Altima: 17 MPG (on Premium no less).

Another surprise is the fact that Mazda is the only one that uses scissor-hinges to keep them out of interfering with trunk space. I knew that the Altima didn't use them, but the Accord as well? Wow. I thought Honda would be better than that.

Discuss! :)
  • I'm not surprised by the results. The Mazda is the newest sedan in the midsize family so it packs the most features, the highest horsepower and the best handling (which was to be expected from Mazda) so I'm happy that it did so well in the comparison test.

The more I look at the new Mazda6 and read reviews on the car, it seems like the new Mazda6 is becoming what the old Accord used to be: A car with sporting intentions with just the right amount of compromises. Handling is best in class, ride falls somewhere in between the chushier Accord and the rougher Altima, the interior has nice materials but isn't as boring lookin inside as the Altima nor as "Star Trek" as the Accords and yet it has the worst EPA ratings of all three cars and comes out on top with observed Fuel economy. I can't remember which poster here begged us not to jump the gun on EPA ratings for the Mazda6 but it appears that he/she might have been right...at least for this comparison test.

I only wonder why Edmunds didn't add the Camry SEV6 to the comparison test. I wonder how the results would have turned out?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Surprising that those other cars still use those cheap, intrusive hinges on the trunk. Even the old version of the mazda6 had the unobtrusive hinges and pneumatic lifters.
  • The dashboards of these three cars offer either too little or too much. The Accord EX-L Navi groups its controls for the audio, navigation and ventilation systems in logical places, but there are so many buttons that it requires either thorough pre-flight study or too much on-the-fly attention to navigate the myriad buttons, displays, knobs and dials.

That's the reason I hate Accord the most especially the '07.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I would have liked Edmunds to include the Sonata SE V6 in the comparo, since they haven't tested it yet and it has done well elsewhere, e.g. 2nd in MT's recent 10-car comparo of I4 sedans, where it bested everyone except the Passat.

Which begs the question... where was the Passat in Edmunds' comparo? Or the Malibu LTZ?
  • The Sonata would have been another good choice for the test as well. I guess since the Malibu came in 3rd place the last go round, Edmunds decided not to compare the car again. Maybe they figured the 6 would slot somewhere between (or in this case) above the last top two sedans compared in the test. That may have been the same reason the Camry was left out of the Comparison test as well. Didnt it come in dead last in the last Edmunds V6 comparison???

It really wouldn't make sense to compare the Passat to the other three midsize V6 sedans considering the price of a V6 Passat would put it well into Acura TL territory and the fact that for MY09 the Passat will only be available with the 2.0t four cylinder engine in "Komfort" trim. Using an 08 probably would have been more of a hassle to obtain too. All 09 model Passats will be four cylinders..no more "Turbo", "Lux" or "VR6" models. :( and no more manual transmissions either :mad:
  • but there are so many buttons that it requires either thorough pre-flight study or too much on-the-fly attention to navigate the myriad buttons, displays, knobs and dials.

That's the reason I hate Accord the most especially the '07.

But the 07 model didn't have that many buttons!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    This was a V6 comparo, not an I4 comparo. Maybe that is why it was left out. I have a funny feeling that the performance numbers would have been creamed by all three competitors.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I'm not so sure about that. In the MT comparo, the Passat 2.0T turned in some excellent performance numbers including 0-60 and was far and away the favorite in terms of handling. The Passat doesn't seem to get much print in general in these comparos (except the recent MT one).
  • But the 07 model didn't have that many buttons!

I'm not sure but when I went to look at the '07 last year, I was shocked by all of those buttons. I drove my friend '08 in July and I think it's cleaner than the '07.
  • I'll respectfully disagree :blush:.

The 08 has buttons laid out in what looks to be a haphazard way. Drastically different font sizes and odd shapes make the thing look cheesy to me. I like the cleaner look of the 2007 (more business-like).
    Backy said he would have liked to see the SE V6 in the comparo.....he just referenced the I4 MT comparo.

It's obvious that Edmunds left out a large number of other midsize V6 sedans so it's a time waster to try and figure out exactly why they left out a particular model. IMO they wanted to get a comparo done quickly with the new Mazda6 and picked a couple of other midsizers that in normal V6 trim are commonly thought to be the "sportiest". Although I really don't think the Accord falls into that category as much anymore. The Camry and the Sonata would have to have the SE trim which is not the standard handling package. To my knowledge, the suspension/handling on the Accord, Altima and Mazda6 are the same throughtout the different trim levels.
  • Nissan's website states the Altima SE-V6 has "retuned struts/shocks, stiffer springs, and thicker front (24.2 mm) and rear (18.3 mm) stabilizer bars" versus the other models. The SE-V6 also has P215/55VR17 All-season tires versus the SL's P215/60TR16 All-season tires.
    Thanks, didn't realize that. Off hand do you know if the Accord changes in the different V6 trims?.
  • I believe that the Accord does not change from EX to EX-L trim with regards to handling upgrades.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda6 suspension does not change throughout the entire car line. The only changing variable is the wheel size (16, 17, and 18)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Mazda6 suspension does not change throughout the entire car line. The only changing variable is the wheel size (16, 17, and 18)

Also the weight and weight bias. At least that's the way it was in the last gen. The I4 was always deemed more tossable, not more fun to drive mind you, due to it's better weight bias and lower curb weight compared to the V6.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    To me, more tossable = more fun to drive
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    To me, more tossable = more fun to drive

To some that is true. I found that the V6 was more fun to drive when I test drove simply because of the extra power. There was a noticeable difference in handling between the I4 and the V6 but I liked the extra power hands down.

I was more or less stating that because I didn't want to get flamed by those who also felt the V6 was more fun to drive. But thank you for pointing that out and making it clearer for all. ;)