Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I hope I get to see one in my lifetime....oh.....it has to have 300hp, too! :shades:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Also, the Prius and Insight were not the first gas-electric hybrid cars, so they were not revolutionary

Your correct. Porsche had an gas/electric model circa 1910.
  • What technology did Porsche use in 1910? Must be very primitive, Did it have a big switch to go between gas and electric. I believe the technology in the Prius is revolutionary as far mass-market appeal. I believe most things evolve these days. Room size computer that adds and subtract to a room size computer that multiplies. 1 transistor per inch to a million in a inch. One technological step allow more things to become possible. If the Transistor was not invented our whole world would be completely different. Heck a bunch of dinosaurs had to die or we would all be driving Stanley Steamers.
  • Has anyone taken these two for test drives and compared yet? I already looked at the Camry SE and didn't like the steering. My concerns are that other posters say that the Mazda revs very high at freeway speeds while the Nissan shoots a lot of vibration through the steering wheel while on rough roads, especially with potholes. Is it really possible to get a midsized sedan with very good handling or do I have to move up to a BMW/Acura type vehicle for this?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Mazda revs very high at freeway speeds

I think that is only with the manual transmission.
    I have yet to take a 6-speed Mazda6 i on the highway yet, but, from what I understand it does rev higher. The auto is normal.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,621
    Have you tried a Fusion? Steering feel and handling are excellent without being too harsh. Not sure about the current I4 but the 2010 Fusion due in 2-3 months gets a new 2.5L I4 with new 6 speed auto and manual trannies with claims of best in class fuel economy, so I would assume it's not going to be running high RPM.
    What technology did Porsche use in 1910? Must be very primitive,

Of course, even technology used 10 years ago is primitive by today's standard. However, the Prius isn't revolutionary it's just mass marketed. How can you have a revolutionary technology that has been around for 100 years? It's like saying the internal combustion engine is revolutionary in 2008.
  • "I believe the technology in the Prius is revolutionary as far mass-market appeal" So we agree. Would you consider a electric Golf Cart the predisor of a Prius
  • "I believe the technology in the Prius is revolutionary as far mass-market appeal" So we agree.
    Would you consider a electric Golf Cart the predecessor of a Prius. I think the day of someone sitting in their garage and inventing something creating a new technology is very rare. Many times the technology exists put it has to be cost effective to manufacture. (Hydrogen Cell, Solar Cells)
    Would you consider a electric Golf Cart the predecessor of a Prius

Now that you mention it, yes! You're right. Sometimes all it takes is to package existing technology in a way that hasn't been thought of. Of course, that's is partly the Prius and other hybrid models. There may be components of the Prius, and other hybrid models, which make them unique, but the concept of hybrid technology is old.
    I think you're confusing a true Hybrid with Electric Vehicle. Having a gas engine work in conjunction with an electric motor (seamlessly) and be able to run on either one independently is the epitome of a revolutionary technology.
    An article talking about the new Dual LCD display screen for the 2010 Fusion says it will give fuel economy information and other real time info about the vehicle with 4 selectable levels.

But the most interesting info in the article is that the new 2010 Fusion hybrid will be able to run on electric power only up to 47 mph and that it will achieve a range of 700 miles on one tank of gas in city driving. If they keep the 17.5 gallon fuel tank from the regular fusion that means 40 mpg city.

By comparison the Camry hybrid only gets 33/34.
    If that were true about the Fusion Hybrid, that's pretty impressive.
    Here is one article with pictures of the displays but it doesn't mention the 700 mile range.

http://jalopnik.com/5070371/ford-smartgauge-lcd-instrument-panel-brings-futurist- ic-look-green-leaves-to-2010-hybrids

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Pretty slick looking. The only thing that worries me is the fact that people will probably be tinkering with this stuff while they drive. I hope and pray that Ford's lawyers come through and make this stuff changeable only while the car is in Park.

That said, isn't there something to be said for simplicity? That cluster is lacking it. "Efficiency leaves?" Please.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    I hope and pray that Ford's lawyers come through and make this stuff changeable only while the car is in Park.

You can only change the color of the MyColor display in the current Mustang while the car is not moving so I would be shocked if that were not the case in the hybrids too.

"Efficiency leaves?" Please.

USAToday's article on it says Honda has something similar in the works too. You don't think that will be some cheesy gimmick too?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    USAToday's article on it says Honda has something similar in the works too. You don't think that will be some cheesy gimmick too?

If Honda has efficiency leaves or something similar, sure I will. I might change my name to *Rain* or *Springbreath* and wear only clothes made from recycled lawn clippings too, otherwise. :shades:

Why wouldn't I? To tell you the truth, I like the simplistic layout of gauges like they used to make in the Honda Hybrids, with basic charge/assist indicators, and a battery level. Give me info from my gauge cluster, and leave it at that, thankyousir.

I also like the implementation that Ford used in the old system. Although small, it wasn't distracting. None of this flashy stuff! :P

I think the hybrid camry has a similar "cheesy" display but I don't remember the details.

The good news is there are 4 display levels and the simple one is really simple, so you don't get the details unless you want them. That should satisfy the technologically challenged and the geeks at the same time.
    Don't know if we have seen a shot as good as this just yet.

Those look like Altima head lamps to me....and a big "WTF" for the rear! This thing just looks weird.
    http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/0810_2010_mercury_milan_hybrid_spied/ind- - ex.html