Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• 94hawkskin94hawkskin Posts: 116
    Yeah, I also had to have both of my sun visors replaced (under warranty) and have had my ESC/ABS light sensor go off and fixed (under warranty). Outside of those two things, the car has been flawless. Still four years of powertrain warranty left. Glad I got in on Hyundai when I did, because I see their prices are shooting towards Toyota and Honda prices.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Posts: 82
    Having put 404,109 mile on my '07 3.3 ltd, I can tell you with proper maint. and paying attention you will do just fine. I had no major problems, just routine maint. and routine wear and tear. Now with 80,000 on my '11 SE2.0T in 8 mos, I expect the same. Drive on with confidence. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,758
    400k on a Sonata?! That must be close to a record. You should tell HMA about that... maybe they'll put you in a commercial. :D
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    Now with 80,000 on my '11 SE2.0T in 8 mos

80k / 8 months = 10k per month
    10k / 22 working days = 455 miles per day

Do you believe that? Even if a person takes a long trip once a month (say 1k miles), you still need to drive 9k / 22 = 409 miles / day. That's a whole day highway driving. :confuse:
  • Yes that is easy to drive that much in a day. I drive 400 miles in six & half hours with two breaks all the time. That only avergeing 67 MPH :D
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,018
    Maybe he uses the car for delivery and pickup and is on the road 10-12 hours a day constantly driving from one place to another. Not something I would want to do but many people do that to make a living. Totally feasible.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    That's a lot of driving for anybody. 15 years ago my brother took a year off work and traveled the country in his '87 Jetta. He basically lived in that car and averaged almost 1,500 miles a week. He ended up with 255,000 miles on that Jetta. It was a red GLI with 5-speed stick.

It's certainly possible. Having 400,000 miles on a 5 year old car and averaging 80K/year for 5 straight years? That's nuts, possible - but nuts. ;)
    edited March 2012
    I still don't think you can rack up those miles w/ a "delivery and pickup" job b/c most of the time you need to stop and wait for people to deliver the stuff. Plus, you don't drive faster than 40-50 miles/ hours for this job.
    edited March 2012
    Yes, it's possible but I'm thinking about a real job here unless you're Jason Statham from the Transporter. ;)
    I'm just not that willing to say something is impossible and I'm sure not that willing to say someone is lying because I don't know their personal situation. There are a lot of jobs in the world and there could be some that require this type of driving. If you don't think it's possible that's fine. I see medical delivery drivers around the Chicago area that visit clinics all over the 70 miles long metro area picking up stuff and they must rack up a ton of miles every day especially when you consider the number of hours they are driving. Sometimes they have a territory from Gary, IN to Milwaukee,
    WI with all the Chicago area inbetween. During the middle of the day the expressways are going at 70-80 mph all over the Chicago area so your speed estimates might be an average...not a high. But 40mph average for 10-12 hours would easily rack up 400 miles per day.

These people are not waiting much as they go in, pick up a box and sign and they are on their way. I also know limo drivers that make 5 or 6 roundtrips from the far suburbs to O'hare airport everyday. Thats 80 miles roundtrip in a lot of cases. Do the math...that's could be 500 a day and if they work 6 days a week like many do that's 3000 a wk or 12000 a month. Alot more than the OP is doing. To me it's obvious he is not talking about a commute to work but is using his vehicle for work.
    edited March 2012
    Yes, it’s possible when you start stretching the truth…working 10-12 hours/day, everyone is living on the highway, there’s no traffic and we can drive 70-80 mph all the time, etc.

I’ve been taking courses in another state for the past year. I need to travel about 53 miles each way. Yes, I can put 70-75 mph at 2PM but I still need to spend about an hour to travel 53 miles…why?...it takes me about 10 minutes to travel 2 miles from my house to the highway. I need to spend about the same amount of time from the highway to the university. I need to spend at least 90 minutes if I decide to leave at 3:30PM.

Yes, a person might be able put about 400 miles in 8 hours (50 miles avg though out the day around town) if they don’t need to find a parking space, get out from the car, deliver/pick up stuff or go to the restroom.
    edited March 2012
    So you like to call people liars or stretching the truth as you put it. Look, you don't know what the guy does for a living, how many hours a day he works, how far he has to go but you're very quick to call him a liar and say I'm stretching the truth when I try to explain that it could be done. There are extremes to everything. Maybe in your perfect world people don't work over 8 hours a day and only have to make one trip a day and spend half the day in the bathroom and take two hour lunches. These delivery people double park or are in suburban clinic locations that have plenty of parking so they don't spend a lot of time on it. Maybe he works 7 days a week, I don't know and neither do you. So why do you have such a problem with it.

Don't know why you are so antagonistic but you really need to walk in others shoes before you say they are full of it.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,072
    scared myself today. Was at the toyota dealer today, and they had a loaded Camry SE on the floor. I really liked it. Scared me a lot! Loved the seats (leather/microsuede mix). Very comfy, and loaded all up. Not cheap ($28,700) but it had nav, and everything else they cold throw on it.

If I was actually in the market for a sedan like this, it would get a look.

hard to ignore the 25/35 MPG ratings too!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

You guys want to hear something about insane miles driven? A guy I know is an over-the-road truck driver. He averages 3,000 miles a week! He is only home 3 nights a month!

His company pays him $0.45/mile (they own the rigs) and of course cover all fuel, maintenance, etc. Most of the tractors have duel 150 gallon tanks for a 300 gallon total capacity and with diesel fuel at $4.00/gallon? Fill-ups run $800! He never drives with less than a 1/4 tank (which is 75 gallons remaining!).

Anyway, he averages 7 mpg depending on load and geography and drives 150,000 miles a year. 80,000 miles a year in a car is very possible for a traveling salesperson over a very large region like the western United States.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,072
    that's a tough way to make less than 70K a year.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

edited March 2012
    80,000 miles a year in a car is very possible for a traveling salesperson over a very large region like the western United States.

This person claimed he put 80k miles in 8 months on his new Sonata. :shades:

I agree that truck drivers can put that many miles b/c they can haul a lot of stuff in there and they don't stop to deliver stuff every 5 or 10 miles.

However, for a small car? How much stuff can you put in there? He must be carrying something valuable that they reimburse him w/ top dollars. Anyways, I hope his salary is high enough to cover the driving, gas, depreciation, insurance, etc.

I used to have a neighbor who has a small truck (like UPS truck) to deliver stuff for Staples's. They pay him about $150/day (base on his truck size). If I remember correctly he puts about 120-140 miles/day (about 80 miles to travel to the warehouse). He left 5AM and didn't get back home till 6-7PM.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    How about instead of insinuating that another member is lying, we simply ask him (politely) how in the heck he put that many miles on his vehicle?
    It could be a typo.
    There could be a plausible explanation.

A very minor amount of research would have shown you that it's the latter. You can see his previous 5 posts. In November, he states that he had 52,000 miles on his 2011 Sonata. In the same post, he states "I now drive for a living."

If I were a new member, thinking about posting a question here, and I saw this exchange, I'd back out and never return.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    1. Toyota Camry 105,405 37.2
    2. Nissan Altima 96,360 38.5
    3. Ford Fusion 63,949 -1.7
    4. Honda Accord 61,132 -7.6
    5. Chevrolet Malibu 58,550 20.1
    6. Hyundai Sonata 55,195 6.4

Here are the top six so far this year. Couple of shocks:

The Accord is a distant 4th, when it used to be #2 as recently as 2009.

The Altima is now getting close to Camry.

Sonata can't sell much more than they are now because their factory is maxed out.

Question: will all news entries from Honda, Ford, and Nissan alter anything here....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,758
    edited April 2012
    I think it's very possible the all-new Altima, with exceptional fuel economy and updated telematics and styling, will overtake the boring Camry. The Altima has a reputation for reliability also, but is much more interesting to drive and look at. And has better fuel economy than the non-hybrid Camry. Altima is probably grabbing lots of sales now based on close-out pricing and fleet sales--I see a LOT of them on rental lots (which is fine with me, as they make a nice rental).

Similarly, I expect the new Fusion to leap up in sales, maybe also overtake Camry, once it's available in volume. It's a fantastic looking car, should drive much better than the Camry if Ford didn't ruin its ride/handling balance, and also should get excellent fuel economy.

We'll have to see on the new, smaller Accord, but sales should perk up there also if Honda did their homework. The new Altima and Fusion will be tough competitors, though.

Malibu is really pricey now with only the mild hybrid available, and C/D was very unkind on that car--ranked it below all the new mid-sized sedans including the Camry (2nd worst in the group). Maybe the new Malibu with regular gas engines and lower price will fare better.

Another interesting thing about these numbers is that two of the better mid-sized cars--Passat and Optima--didn't even make this list. Although sales of both are reportedly surging. And the Mazda6 is no slouch, but four years is a long time in this competitive market. Also it needs better fuel economy to be competitive.
    edited April 2012
    I would doubt that anybody will overtake Camry as I think Toyota will do enough discounting and rebating to keep it in the lead but it will probably be close. The others will all move up closer but the ranking among the top four will probably stay the same. I'm talking for the entire year of 2012. A three month period can be the result of a lot of short term things. I don't believe the new Accord is going to be any game changer from what I've seen of it. In fact, it could drift even further behind.

The only change in the ranking IMO is that it's possible Sonata will overtake both the Malibu and the Accord by the end of 2012. And even though I don't think it will happen there is a chance that Altima could overtake Camry by years end if Toyota isn't very aggressive with it's marketing. The new Altima is very interesting with the high mpg and little bump in HP/Torque.
    edited April 2012
    backy: I think you're right that Altima might someday exceed the Camry in sales. I'd say that epic battle is already underway. Nissan is very ambitious and aggressive, and I think they would enjoy the shock value and headlines of toppling the car that's been number 1 for about the last dozen years.

But, living in KY, I think I read that Toyota has the capacity to build up to c. 500,000 Camrys in their huge factory here.

Does Nissan have that same capacity in TN? Maybe. I just don't know.

I do like the looks of the 2013 Altima, as well as the performance stats. 38 mpg hwy!!? For a car that big? That's truly amazing.

Honda will come back somewhat, I think, with the new Accord, but I don't see how they are ever going to get back to #2 right now. But they might make it back to #3.

But Ford will have something to say about that. The new Fusion looks great. I think Fusion and Accord will be locked in a race for 3 & 4 just like Toyota and Nissan will be battling for 1 & 2.

One certainty seems to be that the Sonata simply can't sell many more than it does now. The factory is going at full tilt already. They might get some more from Korea, but I still don't see how they can sell more than about 220,000 in calendar year 2012. Hyundai needs to build another USA factory asap...
    edited April 2012
    This is for the calendar year, not the model year. Here's my guess

Camry : 450,000
    Altima: 440,000
    Accord: 300,000
    Fusion: 290,000
    Sonata: 230,000 (10k higher than my guess of just ten minutes ago!)
    Malibu: 190,000

These cars do offer amazing bang for the buck...

In 2013 I think VW will be joining this list with their Passat. They put an ad in my newspaper way up here in Louisville for jobs because they are hiring for a third shift. Once that VW factory is going full tilt I think VW will be able to sell maybe 200,000 Passats a year....
    Have you seen the new Accord? I saw some pics of the "very close" concept and I was not impressed and the website blogger thought the same. If they don't step up their designs they are going no place. Fusion will be huge I believe and is coming this summer, probably a few months before the new Accord which will give it a head start on the year. Add in the huge fire sale on the 2012 Fusions because of the new model and I don't thing the Accord will surpass it. But I see you have them close which it just may.
    Nissan is knocking over $3,500 off the sticker price of new 2012 Altimas in my area. That has to be bumping their 2012 sales figures way up.

Well equipped (moon-roof, dual zone climate control, alloys, fog lamps, etc) 2.5 S Altimas with the CVT sticker for over $27k and are advertised at $23,400. That's moving a lot of cars!
    m6user: I have not seen those pix of the Accord you mention. Bummer. I like Honda, but design after design has been a big let down for about 4 or 5 years now...

Probably should reverse that....

Fusion: 310,000
    Accord: 290,000
    24k for a loaded Altima....that's a lotta car for the money. But I really like how the 2013s look. I'd wait...
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    dodgeman: Nissan following the old GM and now Chrysler pricing model. MSRP supersized with $5000 rebate/cashback to use the ole deal pitch.
    Net transaction price ends up close to similar model with 6-10% off of MSRP. Guess the real way to buy value is net cost vs. features, quality, value and trade in prospects down the road that reflects all the other factors. We have some great car choices for relatively cheap prices. Coupled with our policy of cheap gas to maximize use and sell more cars, we really have it made - for now!
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,316

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    I spent numerous days driving lots of cars. Ford (Focus and Fusion), Mazda (3), Toyota (Camry V6 SE), and the Hyunda (Genesis Coupe, Sonata Turbo models).. Current car is a 2006 Mazda 3 bought new with zero issues. Had a very bad experience with a Nissan Altima SE previously (mechanical issues that Nissan would not standby), and ruled out VW to similar bad history with reliability and customer service. As a current happy Honda Odyssey owner, I was not really impressed with the Acccord at all just looking at it and did not bother test driving based on the prices I was seeing.

For me, I really liked the Hyndai Sonata. The fit and finish were excellent, and the turbo with the SE suspension and tuning is fun to drive. Lots of features for under $23k, and a great warranty. Great gas mileage. On paper the Sonata turbo has almost 130 more horsepower than my Mazda 3 and gets better gas mileage! Nothing not to not like, and the exterior styling is very masculine and attractive.

I really wanted to test drive the Kia Optima EX turbo, but there were literally none near me in stock. They are flying off the lots. My dealer had to get the SE 2.0T from another dealer because they sold them all this week. There were several Sonata Limited turbos, and I did drive one, steering was just too loose for me. The SE has much more engaging steering, but you definitely have a firmer ride and feel the road more, but I prefer that to loose and numb.