Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• I just read an article about this car,and the writer claims that he had no problem getting 52 MPG on combined.This car,he wrote,can go as fast as 47 MPH on electric power alone.He is concerned that Americans will not buy them because the lowered gas prices.Heck,the oil prices will go up again,unless we continue conserving.Where was this wundercar when we were paying $4 per gallon?
    I guarantee that if were in the market for a new car,this hybrid would be first on my list.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    I've driven all 3 cars and I'd have to agree w/ most of what the Edmunds testers concluded. Edmunds V6 comparison test: Mazda6 vs Accord vs Altima

At the time my mom was shopping for a car, the Mazda6 was not out yet so we drove the Accord and Altima (as well as the Sonata and Azera). Of these 4, I liked the Accord the best (though thought the Sonata was the best value). I thought the suspension was the most sorted of the 4 and that the quality of the interior was much better than the Altima which still has some really cheap feeling materials like on the plate that has the window contols by the door... really hollow sounding and has that thin, brittle plastic feeling. I agree that the engine/ transmission of the Altima was better than the Accord, but since the Accord was no slouch either, I preferred the build quality and it's ability to sort out rough roads better.

But a month later, I was in to get an oil change on my 2005 mazda6, and decided to take the time to give the new 6 a test drive. I was not unhappy w/ my current mazda6, but I was curious. First thing I noticed was the responsiveness of the engine: much more torque than my v-6 and quite a bit quicker from a standstill even though my '05 6 has a manual. Really, I'm impressed with everything about this newer version... I came really close to buying one. The interior was very nice, it was as quiet as the Accord or Altima, but had a better suspension that handled rough roads as well as the best but had less body lean in corners that gave the car a feeling of more control. Steering feel was very good, better than the Accord and Altima, but not as good as my current 6. I think what held me back from doing the trade was a lack of a hatchback. I'm sure I would have been very happy w/ the new 6, but I knew I was still happy with my "old" 6...

But this is what my scorecard looked like (best first, worst last):
    Interior quality: accord (minuses b/c of cluttered dash), Mazda6 (very close to the Accord, but lacked a little finesse), Altima

Drivetrain: Altima, Mazda6 (surprisingly close to the Altima though), Accord

Suspension: mazda6, accord, altima

brakes/ steering feel: mazda6, accord, altima

seat comfort: accord, mazda6, altima

exterior looks: mazda6, altima, accord (by a lot...)

extras: mazda6 (xenon, btooth, blindspot warning system, keyless start/entry, best mpg), altima (keyless start/entry, cvt), accord (navi, resale value)

really, all 3 cars are very, very good. but given a choice, using different ways of analyzing which one to choose (practicality, fun to drive, utility), I would choose the 6 also. well done Mazda!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Rented an Accord two weeks ago and thought the seats were very good and I have persistent spinal issues which necessitates the use of a cane. Better than my '06 Civic but still lacking those of the Volvo S40 I almost bought two years ago. The Accord drove flawlessly with four occupants and a truck stuffed to the gills. Would definitely buy an Accord in an instant if we needed a mid-sized car...even the wife agreed.

The Sandman :)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    The 09 and later Fusions also have better than average seats.
  • the "hollow sounding" plate on the altima door controls is Carbon Fiber (on the SL models), so regardless of what it sounds like, it's a much higher quality material than can be found in the other 2 cars.

Other than that, you're right on the money on virtually all fronts. The 6 is a great car, and if I got to pick my car again, I would have picked the '09 Mazda6 over the Altima. I was very torn between the Altima and the Accord (I flatly refused to get the Camry...) I think the Accord is a little more comfortable for long distance travel, but the Altima is far superior on twisty roads. I also believe Nissan has the best powertrain with their current generation of CVT. No other Automatic Transmission this side of a DSG is as responsive or quick.

There's a reason that the Altima is selling nearly as well as Camry and Accord, but as far as the best midsize sedan currently, I think the Mazda6 has it. Unfortunately, not many people realize this.
  • I'm looking to buy a 2004 Mazda6 with 120k miles... The asking price is 5,975. . . .? I don't know to much about Mazda's.. I am a honda person. How long would I have before the transmission cuts out?
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    Volvos have always had a Swedish chiropractor's ideology in mind. I don't think there's better seats to be had in anything that's not some exotic car.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    On a car with 120k miles, Mazda or Honda or whatever, anything can go at any time. There is no magic time or number of miles as to how long a tranny (assuming you mean automatic here) will last in a specific car. Your odds are better if the car has been well treated and maintained over its lifetime. Are the maintenance records available? If so, check to be sure regular maintenance was done including the big services at 60k and 120k. Also you should have the car checked by a mechanic you can trust.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    is that question a setup?
  • I used to own a 2005 Mazda6 i sport edition and now have a 2008 Honda Accord LX. After reading edmunds comparsion, of the altima, accord and mazda6 seemed like the accord and mazda6 were really close. I admit I was suprised/shocked that the mazda6 beat the accord and that the overall MPG was higher for the mazda6 compared to accord.

The v6 accords MPG rating is 19/29 and the Mazda6 is 17/25, yet the mazda6 got 20 mpg overall and the accord got 18 mpg overall.

I still believe the accord has a slight edge over the mazda6 and then being a long track record of reliability and resale value, otherwise, a dead heat. Always thought the Altima was over priced. Seems like nissan took a step backwards with the new altima.
  • Amazing; this Fusion really blows the doors off its competition. Hopefully Ford gets credit (deserved) from buyers for this great car!
    And it should be pointed out that the Fusion hybrid uses NO licensed Toyota patents. This should dispel that myth once and for all.
  • Didn't the Escape hybrid use Toyota components? If so this is an offshoot... :confuse:
    The Escape used an Aisin transmission (so did the 05-09 Fusion), if that's what you're talking about. Aisin is partially owned by Toyota but they're just a parts supplier just like ZF or Getrag or any other 3rd party transmission supplier.

Not sure which tranny the 2010 Fusion Hybrid will use. But the issue was that Ford found similarities between their software and patents that Toyota held in that area so to avoid a potential lawsuit later they worked out an exchange of patent licenses (Ford got 20 or so and Toyota got some related to diesel truck engines). Many people incorrectly took this to mean that Ford simply bought Toyota's hybrid technology which is absolutely false - they developed it on their own.

Nissan did apparently buy Toyota's hybrid technology. Totally different scenario.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    New Fusion is impressive. Certainly puts the pressure on GM with the upcoming 2-Mode Hybrid Malibu.

I heard the Fusion availability will be pretty limited though. I guess lower gas prices have also killed off some hybrid demand. Too bad because Ford has something big here.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    What Ford did wisely is to ensure they didn't get sued by Toyota by working out an agreement with Toyota. I take that to mean, without this agreement they believed there could be a long, and expensive litigation process to which they decided coopetition is better than the unknown.
    That's exactly what happened, because they found out after they wrote some of the software that it was similar enough to what Toyota had patented that it might be challenged in court. However they actually wrote their own software - they didn't copy it or buy it from Toyota. And now the FFH doesn't even use that software anymore. Just trying to dispel that myth once and for all.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    So we are supposed to believe Ford gave Toyota patents, just out of the kindness of their hearts? If Ford didn't copy anything, it was a pretty stupid move. Ford had to have done something underhanded. Nobody gives away technology.
  • elroy, this has been discussed ad nauseum in this and other forums. Ford did not infringe Toyota patents. Just like most businesses do today, Ford and Toyota entered into a cross licensing agreement to avoid any infringement problems. Here are a few comments about the agreement:

From wikipedia:

The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[9] Both Ford and Toyota state that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota.

From Businessweek.com:

Ford Motor Company was THE FIRST auto manufacturer in the world to put a full hybrid SUV on the road.
    The Ford Escape Hybrid (and now the Mercury Mariner Hybrid) was engineered, validated and is manufactured in the United States. There is NO Toyota technology or parts in our vehicle. We received NO technical support from Toyota when designing our hybrid system.
    We entered into a business arrangement with Toyota where we EXCHANGED patent licences. We licensed 21 patents from Toyota because our hybrid system design was close enough in design to what Toyota did that we wanted to ensure there were no accusations of infringement. At the same time, Toyota licensed several patents from Ford for emissions technology. This was a financial transaction — one which goes on in our industry every day.

This is a common business practice in today's copyright-gone-mad litigious economy. Nothing underhanded there. ;)
  • berriberri Posts: 4,138
    I believe Ford may be honest on this one. There is a whole business out there using patents (many of them pretty shaky patents at that) and threatened litigation to extort money. The lawyers are once again further helping America lose its competitiveness and Congress just sits on its [non-permissible content removed] taking lobbyist payola while Americans keep losing jobs or paying inflated prices because of this nonsense. The patent is an important protection, but not when they are issued for marginal at best concepts that often build off concepts already around. This issue needs to be fixed, but it probably won't since the Bar Associations have plenty of lobbyists to help keep the over supply of attorney's employed.