Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    That's not the most important part to me. Styling, features and driving are more important to me than the price.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    I assume there are more differences than just the hybridness if there is a $10-12K price difference.

Usually, there is.

Hybrid models from most automakers include some of the more popular features, optional on lower models, as standard equipment. It helps to soften the price difference.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Actually, while I like the styling of the Fusion a lot, I also happen to like hatches, and wish the Fusion or Mazda3 would come in a hatch version. That's another advantage to the Prius.
    The Prius is smaller, uglier by far and doesn't drive anything like a normal midsize sedan. The Fusion Hybrid is EPA rated at 45 city while the Fusion gets 41. The Fusion looks better, drives better and gets almost the same fuel economy in the city.

The only reason to buy a Prius is to show people that you have a hybrid, since it doesn't look like any normal midsize sedan.

Quoted for truth!

Having been behind the wheel of a Prius, I can agree with everything here, especially the driving experience. To me, Toyotas are a close second to Buick in terms of putting me in a coma when behind the wheel, but the Prius is beyond pathetic. The low rolling-resistance tires squeal at every corner, WITHOUT being pushed hard, and they also contribute heavily to the numb steering, miserable braking, and the overall disconnected feeling you get.

I can see why tree-huggers love it, and why anyone with a soul doesn't.

You forgot the most important part. The Prius cost about $10k less. That's one heck of an incentive to be greener.

It may be $10K less on paper, but you're going to have a hard time finding ANY Prius at that base price, since they were (and in some cases, still are) going at a premium over MSRP. I've seen listing of USED examples going for higher than that.

That's not the most important part to me. Styling, features and driving are more important to me than the price.

Quoted for agreement.

Kudos to Ford for the excellent press and praise they've been getting for the Fusion Hybrid, which seems well-deserved.
    Actually, while I like the styling of the Fusion a lot, I also happen to like hatches, and wish the Fusion or Mazda3 would come in a hatch version. That's another advantage to the Prius.

You mean the Mazda6, right? :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    The Prius really is not $10k less than the Fulan hybrid. The Fusion hybrid starts at $28k. The Prius starts around $23k. I don't know how the equipment levels of these base versions compare, but it's at best a $5k difference. Loaded, the Prius is pretty close to if not over $30k, while the C/D Fusion tester seemed pretty loaded for $32.5k.

We are forgetting one thing though comparing the Prius to the Fusion hybrid. The 2010 Prius is coming very shortly (will be unveiled officially in Detroit in a week or so). It should be an evolutionary improvement over the current Prius, and is expected to offer more power and also better fuel economy than the current Prius. As for interior room and handling improvements, we'll have to see about that. But I personally consider the Prius, and even the Insight, to be competitors to the likes of the Fusion and Camry hybrids. I don't need as much interior room as those sedans provide, I prefer a hatch configuration, and the 2010 Prius at least (don't know about the Insight) should easily exceed the FE for the hybrid mid-sized sedans--as it should as it's smaller, lighter, and lower-powered. I also like the swoopy looks of the 2010 Prius and Insight better than the mid-sized hybrid sedans. And the payback proposition is better with a lower-priced hybrid like the Prius or Insight. Especially for people like me who don't drive a lot, maybe 10k max per year for my wife's vehicle, which is what I am looking at a hybrid to be a few years out, once we are done with minivans.

Now, if gas stays around $2 a gallon and Ford et. al. are forced to offer discounts on the mid-sized hybrid sedans to move them, e.g. a base Fusion hybrid for the low $20s, then that could be compelling. But at $28k and up? I'd probably pass. Or maybe buy a 2010 Fusion hybrid in 2012 or 2013. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    i interpreted your post to indicate a hybrid can be driven without gas.
    this simply is not true, other than maybe a short distance.
    obviously, a gas engine won't run without fuel. i think everyone already knows that.
    considering not a whole lot of hybrid fusions are goining to be built for the forseeable future, i don't think there will be big discounts on them.
    there aren't even any hybrid escapes for sale anywhere near me.
    i prefer having a trunk for security reasons. the back of the prius is open, although a tonneau cover is available.
    Actually the cargo cover is standard on the Prius, always has been AFAIK.

Yes, that is one way to keep prices up, by limiting supply. There was a tongue-in-cheek comment in the C/D review about Chevy saying that the Malibu hybrid is "very limited availability." C/D remarked something to the effect of that won't be a problem as not many people will buy it. :P
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Not to change the subject from the hybrid debate, but I saw this advertised today.

Hyundai Assurance program

What do you think? Will this help spur sales? Would this or maybe something similar from another manufacturer make a buying decision easier for you if you were on the fence? Just curious. ;)
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Sounds like the perfect program to introduce for the state of the economy right now.

Two ad spots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVAWviuVmK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_nAmJbjvw
    I think it might help in cases where people are worried about losing their jobs--which is likely quite a few potential car buyers. Regardless of how much it increases sales of Sonatas et. al., I applaud Hyundai for offering this program. To my knowledge, no other automaker has offered anything like it. I am wondering if any other automakers will respond with a similar program, as some did after Hyundai first offered their long warranty in 1999?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    I am wondering if any other automakers will respond with a similar program, as some did after Hyundai first offered their long warranty in 1999?

That's what I am curious about. If Hyundai were to see a significant sales bump from this in the next month or so compared to other manufacturers, will the others offer something like this? I would think that they would at least have to consider it.

Also, I wonder if this will have any effect on the dreaded new car depreciation. Any thoughts on that aspect?
    I don't know about affecting depreciation, since the program only kicks in if the owner loses his/her income, and from what I've seen the program is not transferable to a 2nd owner.
    unlike you, i checked the toyota website before posting. ;)
    it is part of packages 2 and up.
    That's good to know. When I ordered a 2004 Prius in late 2003, the only option on it was SABs and I could swear it had the cargo cover. I suppose if you bought a base Prius you could just buy a cargo cover on eBay etc.--but maybe that would blow the entire value proposition of the car in your eyes? :)
    can't get a moonroof, it's not on my list.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Some don't like moonroofs. There may be some that don't want a cargo cover. ;) Hard to believe, isn't it?
    Actually I have read posts from people who don't like moonroofs---consider them a safety hazard. Personally I like them but I can do without them. I like cargo covers too, but it's one of those things that's easy to pick up later if a car doesn't have it. Not a big deal. For that matter, a moonroof can be added to a Prius. Now, something like ABS or ESC or airbags, those are impractical to add to a car after the fact, so it's more important they are there if they are important to the buyer.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Yes I do...sorry, my own Mazda3 must have popped into my hands at the time. :)