Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Well, they haven't surpassed in warranty...Hyundai still has it. :) SYnc is very good, though Chrysler has MyGIG.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    True, but a warranty is just an insurance policy and has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. They're purchased, not engineered. And while Hyundai has made huge strides they're still not as reliable as Ford, Honda and Toyota - yet.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    "Blind spot stuff, NONE of them have it. Ford has SURPASSED the competition in several areas, get over it. You hate Ford, that's fine, but try and at least be objective. I hate GM but I'm not going to deny the fact that THEY were in fact the first ones in the class to put 6 speed auto trannies on ALL engines in the Malibu except for the "hybrid" one"

Ford is really putting a lot into the new Fusion. I look forward to seeing one.

I have a 6-speed 3.6L Malibu and the transmission is amazing. Ford is using the same one, the factory that makes them is a joint venture Ford/GM.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    though Chrysler has MyGIG.

Ford does now offer a hard drive with their Nav system. However it is not like MyGIG where you can get it without the Nav so it's not quite as readily available or affordable.

I'm not a big fan of the whole hard drive in a radio thing but I do know a few people with new Chrysler vehicles and they love their MyGIG. Maybe I need to play with one to truly appreciate it.
    Does mygig allow you to copy mp3s from usb drives or only from audio cds? Lincoln's 10G hard drive only allows you to copy audio cds, but then again sync also lets you use plug in mp3 players or thumb drives with mp3s in addition to the hard drive recorded songs so that's the best of both worlds.

And sync can call 911 in an accident - without a built-in phone, extra phone line and national call center to relay the call.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    a new model malibu owner! tell us more. i think you are the first one.
    we know you like the transmission.
    what are your other likes/dislikes?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Blind spot stuff, NONE of them have it.

Mazda has it in the 2009 Mazda6 and has been using it since 2008 in the CX-9.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    I prefer the next generation of the MB sedans (W114/115, aka the "/8" sedans introduced in 1968) because of their more sophisticated rear suspension. Back in the '80s I did a lot of driving in a gold '74 280 with very impressive space efficiency, handling, and comfort. That car really set my expectations as to what a car ought to be able to do. Only in the last few years have most midsize sedans been able to exceed those expectations.

Well, I did mention the older ones to make my point more than anything. IMO, a 250SE was about the best of the lot - and the first of the 2nd generation W114/W115 era). Astounding cars, even today, and also why that era's SL roadsters still command a hefty premium. Drive an early 70s SL and it's just amazing how it doesn't show its age. IMO, a trick only a few cars have managed. The 2002Ti and the Porsche 928 are in this group. They seem to defy age in how they drive. And the sedan versions also are very good and under appreciated.
    Mazda just joined the midsize class, and that's basically a Fusion anyway. Saying CX-9 has it means nothing since we are specifically discussing the mainstream midsize class: whatshisname was saying Ford was just playing catch up and everything they'd done, someone else had first in the midsize class.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    i back out of the garage, walk over to the explorer which is always parked outside, punch in the entry code, use that remote to close my garage door, lock it back up and drive away in my car.

Hmm, I guess I'd just put the remote that works in the car that actually goes in the garage, rather than leaving it in the one that sits in the driveway. :confuse:

If I ever needed to steal a car, I guess I'd start by smashing the windows of the ones with that keypad...figuring one of you guys probably left the keys in the locked car. ;)
    Does mygig allow you to copy mp3s from usb drives or only from audio cds?

I think only from CDs as well but I'm not positive.

And sync can call 911 in an accident - without a built-in phone, extra phone line and national call center to relay the call.

It calls from your cell phone though right? My 74 year old mother does not have a cell phone so she'd be out of luck. I doubt she and my dad would pay the $20 per month OnStar fee, along with all the other GM owners I know, to have it call either though. The tech is out there and improving by the minute. However it's not foolproof just yet. Unless I'm missing something?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Mazda just joined the midsize class, and that's basically a Fusion anyway.

Mazda has been in the midsize class for years. The 6 has been around since '03, and the 626 was before that.

And technically, the Fusion is "basically" a 6, since Mazda shared development with Ford on the CD3 platform (or GG/GY in Mazdaspeak), and the 6 was the first to market, a full 3 years before the Fusion went on sale.
    Actually, the current 6 is based on the Fusion, which is based on the previous 6. :shades:
    Yes, you must have a cell phone of some kind to make the call - either the user's phone (with Sync and bluetooth) or a built-in phone (like OnStar). The advantage with Sync is you only need one cell phone and you can upgrade it whenever you like - Sync doesn't care. With OnStar you need a separate vehicle cell phone number and account in addition to your personal phone and you can't upgrade the one in the vehicle - at least not easily.

If you already own a cell phone then there is no additional charge with Sync and you're not tied to one phone or phone number.
    The 06-09 Fusion uses a modified Mazda6 platform (lengthened and widened among other things) called CD3. The 09 Mazda6 and 2010 Fusion both use an updated version of Ford's CD3 platform, which is why the 6 is longer and wider than it used to be.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    the explorer gets driven every day. it just usually goes out after i do and returns before me.

yes you could smash the window, but then the alarm is going off and you still have to find the keys. try it and let us know how it works out. :P
    yes you could smash the window, but then the alarm is going off and you still have to find the keys. try it and let us know how it works out

Then have fun driving down the road in single digit temps with no driver's side window! :surprise:

I too use that keypad on our Explorer all the time. It's often easier to use it when your hands are tied than to dig in your pocket for the fob.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Read in USA Today today that Ford and Toyota are having a little tiff over who has the highest mpg in a mid-sized car. Toyota wants to make it clear that they have the mid-sized car with the highest fuel economy: Prius. Ford's take: c'mon, everyone knows the target of the Fusion hybrid is the Camry hybrid, as Fusion and Camry are both mid-sized sedans.

All right now, children, if you don't stop squabbling you will be sent to bed without your supper! :)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-01-07-toyota-ford-midsize-hybrid_N.htm
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    It's often easier to use it when your hands are tied than to dig in your pocket for the fob

Man, I would move if I got tied up that often. ;)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda just joined the midsize class

Where have you been? The Mazda6 has been around since 2002 as a MY2003. BTW, Ford used Mazda's GG/GY platform to develop the Fusion/Milan and Ford saved $10 billion by doing so (something I learned at my recent tour of the Mazda6 factory in Flat Rock, MI).

Now that Mazda6 is all new for 2009, and the Fusion went under the knife, they are hardly similar, with the exception of a basic platform and a Mazda designed 2.5L power plant. Calling them "basically the same" is such a total lie in regards to their current form. The 06-09 Fusion was almost a rebadged 03-08 Mazda6. Ford used the award winning Mazda6 architecture to get back into the mid-sized segment after the demise of the Taurus. 5 minutes of web surfing would have told you that.

Saying CX-9 has it means nothing since we are specifically discussing the mainstream midsize class

Means everything. Ford was not innovative by using a blind spot monitor detection system, Mazda has it in their Mazda6, and has utilized that technology for over a year now.