Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thanks for all the info in post 12014, btw... I'll just post here in response to both. :)

I liked it. I did think it seemed more sluggish than my current Accord when merging, but it was certainly "plenty of power" for my tastes. I'm not someone who needs 200+ hp in a sub 3,500 lb car to be satisfied. It drove nicely, but honestly, wasn't terribly memorable. Sort of like the current generation Accord. It was like my car, softened everywhere by 10%.

The test of the Mazda 6i Touring was really for my girlfriend; she nor I need or can even afford a new car right now, but the 6 is what she has her eye set on based on looks alone. The Sangria Red, 4-cylinder, moonroof. She liked how it drove, really well. She also asks to drive my car sometimes too; she really enjoys it. Then again, coming from a 2001 Saturn SC1 with a 4-sp auto (the 100hp model) like she is, who wouldn't like these cars? ;)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    >Unless you are comparing a base Malibu LS with a top of the like Accord/Camry you are way off base.

I have a suspicion the Malibu was the Malibu Classic which is the 07 and prior Malibu still produced in a spartan mode to be cost effective as a rental, lease, fleet car. The new Malibu is not being used as a rental is what I'm thinking.

2008 and newer Malibu

Classic
    Car buffs don't care about Stability Control, typically. Safety-minded people (i.e. parents, etc), the people who sought out ABS and side airbags 5-10 years ago, do.

Stability Control actually impedes driving fun and spirited driving by acting as a "nanny" of sorts.
    I have a suspicion the Malibu was the Malibu Classic which is the 07 and prior Malibu still produced in a spartan mode to be cost effective as a rental, lease, fleet car. The new Malibu is not being used as a rental is what I'm thinking.

While I like the Malibu, the first one I ever saw on the road actually had the little green e sticker on it. It was a silver LS.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Given that hands free phone are becoming a law in many places, its kind of interesting that Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda offers that feature on almost every model while Honda and Toyota require the super-expensive packages to get that feature.

This doesn't seem to be hurting sales. I guess at 46, I would be considered in the Accord age group. I don't talk on the phone while I'm driving, Bluetooth or not. Don't want it, and don't want to pay extra for it.

That's what makes it great, everyone can find exactly what they need. It would rule it out for me (the lack of a decent iPod interface and no Bluetooth kit, well that and generally being too big and dull and too many buttons for not enough features). Its cool that it meets your needs though.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Wow, the Hyundai interior reminds me a lot of my '07 Accord. I like that the Accord is US market only so they have knobs you can actually grab, vs the Toyota's tiny ones (to meet the European homologation requirements)...at least in '07.

I don't like the light colors on dashboards because it makes them reflect into the windshield, but I like the bottom half color of the Malibu.
    Yeah, I'm with you. Sorry I had to delete the post. The pics were too big for the page. ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    today i was sitting at a stop light and an explorer ran into my back bumper.
    damage is surprsingly light, although my car has a reverse image of their license plate painted on my rear bumper.
    although my car has a reverse image of their license plate painted on my rear bumper.

Sorry about the mishap, although at least you KNOW the identity of the person who hit you! :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    So a "car buff" can't be interested in safety, also? :P
    The trick is finding small images, like these:

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think there's two main reasons for the relatively (key word) low sales of the 2009 Mazda6 to date:

1) Word hasn't fully gotten out yet about how much improved the new design is over the old car.

Or maybe the "improvements" have caused it to lose too much of it's former uniqueness...so why buy it rather than an Accord or a (now much cheaper) Fusion? Saw Motorweek tonight and their review certainly made me feel that, as an owner of the prior version, I'd be disappointed were I to drive one. A couple of their comments:

family-car soft, pitching and rolling quite a bit through the cones.

Enthusiasts will find a bit less of the brand's sporting character than before, yet it remains more of a driver's car than the competition.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2811b.shtml

Seems like pretty faint praise to me...
    ...so why buy it rather than an Accord or a (now much cheaper) Fusion?

I can think of two reasons right off the bat: far superior styling and design, inside and out.

Also for someone buying a car right now, the Fusion is hard to find with ESC---standard on the Mazda6. Not an issue with the 2010 Fusion of course, or the Accord.

Interesting that the Motorweek review was much different from C/D's opinion. They said:

... the Mazda showed that its ability to zig and zag hasn't been diminished too much by its size increase.

They also said the 6 had more overtly sporty suspension tuning than the Accord's, but that the ride of the 6 was if anything too harsh--not "family-car soft" as Motorweek said. Different strokes for different folks I guess. You might want to drive it to see what you think of it, rather than taking Motorweek's (or C/D's) word for it.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    I don`t think the differences between Accord LX and the Camry LE the trim levels are a lot,,,,more so for folks buying these 2 sedans,,as their main needs are quality,value and reliability.
    Also,I don`t think people spending 20-25k on a car would be particularly concerned about one model being a grand less.I don`t think the difference between 24k and 25k would be enough for folks to consider a different model.
    Accord and Camry buyers have totally different buyers though- one needs a reliable ,peppier drive,the other needs a reliable ,soft and comfy drive.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I was in a Mazda6 last week. The interior of the GT model is gorgeous. The front and rear seats were very comfortable. I've seen the Accord, Camry, and Altima, but haven't sat in them.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230

Or maybe the "improvements" have caused it to lose too much of it's former uniqueness...so why buy it rather than an Accord or a (now much cheaper) Fusion? Saw Motorweek tonight and their review certainly made me feel that, as an owner of the prior version, I'd be disappointed were I to drive one.

Have you ACTUALLY driven one? Can you accurately say that you'd be disappointed in the '09 if you haven't?

Well, I have, and I was NOT disappointed. I'll admit that there was a slight decline in the overall sportiness of the 6 compared to the 1st-gen, but in return, you get a car with more room in the back (which IMO it needed), a larger trunk, a HUGE improvement in interior materials and fit-and-finish, and more power with the same fuel economy. It still felt polished and composed when cornering hard, still had excellent brakes which were easy to modulate, still had accurate steering, and IMO is still the Drivers car of the class.

As my mother always said, "Don't knock it 'till you tried it." Well, I did, and it's at the top of my list to replace my current 6, at least until I get some drive time in the 2010 Fusion Sport.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Have you ACTUALLY driven one?

No, I sat in one and was disappointed that they seem to have downsized the seat cushion...the not quite long enough seat being a vehicular pet-peeve of mine. I am also not a fan of the super-sized RX-8 looks, the cheap black plastic filler in place of glass in the rear windows, or the "luxurious" chrome trim around the windows.

Can you accurately say that you'd be disappointed in the '09 if you haven't?

I did not say that, I said the review made me feel that I would be disappointed were I to drive one. I have no reason to drive one, as I am not in the market for a replacement of my beloved 2007 :) . Were I in the market, I'd probably lean toward the Fusion or a compact, since mid-size cars are mostly being super-sized now.

I probably should go look for a "compact sedan comparison" thread on here.
    I was talking about the differences between the Accord LX-P and Camry LE trims. I think the alloys and ESC (VSA) on the Accord are signficant. Maybe others don't.

If you don't think $1000 is a significant difference, fine. But if you don't believe it's significant for other buyers, take a look sometime at the various "Prices Paid" discussions, where people are searching high and low for prices that are only $100 or so less than what they've already been quoted. For them, $1000 would be VERY significant.
  • robbiegrobbieg Posts: 326
    I disagree with you. Buying a car is a two step process picking the model and negotiating the price. In picking the model I don't think people exclude a car because it costs a thousand more than another model. However, after having decided on the model people want to get the best deal possible. People don't want to spend an extra thousand if they don't have to. At some point people choose a model because of price. However, I think the price difference has to be be around $3000. One only need look at Sonata boards to realize that people have picked the Sonata because of the significant price difference between a Sonata and an Accord, for example.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    People after deciding to buy a Camry/Accord then decide on the trim llevels and want the lowest price.But to say that people spending 20-25k on a new car would select a different model just for 1k is unrealistic.
    If so,then everyone would buy a kia/suzuki/hyundai/dodge with rebates b`cos they are thousands less.The difference there would be 3k-5k which is significant.But the difference between 24k and 25 k is negligible in deciding a model.
    To say everyone buys a camry just b`cos its a grand less is not true.People who can afford 24k can afford 25k.It`s not like deciding between 20k and 25k.