Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,339
    edited May 2013
    I think it is the hills. The stretch between West Springfield to the State Dept in DC. has some pretty major hills. Actually the whole route is up and down....and I don't think the downhill stretches make up for it. With the cruise on, it makes the tranny downshift, sometimes two gears in order to maintain speed. Heck, here is the route: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=home&daddr=23rd+and+F+street+NW+DC

I can't wait to get going on vacation, as the more rural parts of my trip are very flat.

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Grad-

What Hyundai did was lie and fudge the EPA test. The SAE ratings change does not signify a lie by the manufacturer, but rather different guidelines to rate engines by. There is a difference.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2013
    I would avoid using cruise on hills severe enough to ask for more than one downshift..actually even one downshift FTM. That is certaiinly one reason behind the low number. But given your description and coasting down those same hills, it does sound especially low.

On a different note...

"Potbelly Sandwich Shop"
    "Magic Gourd"
    "Sizzling Express"

too funny..

If I lived in your neighborhood, why do I have this sense I'd put weight on?? :sick:

Hey..cski...maybe that's where your fuel mileage has gone?? lol ;)
    I assume those are fine french dining establishments in my area, which of course I frequent daily. There is a classical harpist at "Magic Gourd" from 11 to 2. LMAO.

That's it exactly.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    That's not really the route you drive right?
    Most cars now shut the fuel off when coasting, so shifting into neutral doesn't really buy you anything.
    edited May 2013
    Sorry man....not following your logic.

Yes, it is the real route I drive.
    No, cars do not shut off fuel in neutral, especially with a manumatic transmission. I have never even heard of a regular ICE car that shuts off fuel at idle/neutral, except for hybrids.

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    He said (implied) coasting in gear not neutral. Cars shut off fuel while coasting in gear.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    I have a '12 Sonata 2.0 T...average mid 20s for my mix of driving around town... and have gotten as high as 37 on the highway.

Ive read plenty on the poor mileage from both 2.0 and 2.4 owners- so dont take this as me saying its not happening...Im just providing an example of where its not.

For those that have the turbo- inconsistent/out of spec spark plug gapping has been discovered for many that have that model. Better mileage and performance resulted once that was taken care of.
  • Interesting info on the 2.0T plug gap. The better half's Sonata has over 78,000 miles so I may just put a fresh set of plugs in it.
    A friend has the Hyundai Atenza. The Dealership is tracking his mileage and loading a gas credit card to make up the difference between claimed and actual mileage.
    A Hyundai what? What is an Atenza? Do you mean Azera? In foreign markets the Mazda 6 is called the Atenza. Lol.

As Dudleyr posted, fuel shuts off when coasting, not the engine.
    I found your route unusual since you said you drive from West Springfield, which is in Massachusetts and your map started in West Hartford Connecticut.
    Also, the Berlin Turnpike has tons of lights and the interstate is only a few miles east of it.
    Personally, I take I-84 to I-81 to 15 to 270, so mainly through PA.
    It's longer, but a better ride. I try to stay away from I-95 and the NYC-DC corridor.
    I have done part of that route many times - Bethlehem PA to DC. 40 mpg or so in my Scirocco, and 10 mpg (or less) in my '73 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 472 ci V-8 (7.7 liters). Weighed as much as a Suburban and was 2 feet longer. I could lay down in the trunk either direction. And this was back when the national speed limit was 55, so I was not going very fast. I imagine that Caddy would get about 5 mpg at 80 mph - you could just about see the fuel gauge moving.

So While 26 mpg is not very good for a modern 4 cyl sedan it could be a lot worse. ;)

Switching to that Scirocco was what opened my eyes to good mpg.
    edited May 2013
    Obviously there is a map mistake, but I checked the link, and my route comes up (for me) Hmmm.

My commute is from Burke/W Springfield VA to Washington DC. About 18 miles each way. I have never been to Connecticut or Massachusetts!!

It looks like all of us have a different map show up based on our own input w/ google maps. It is the only thing that makes sense of all these different routes you guys are seeing. Sorry. Link backfired on me! :confuse: :)

That explains a lot! You know what they say, 'It takes a computer to really screw things up'. ;)
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2013
    What a difference 5 years and a bunch of gvt intervention can make. My bros had a 68 Sedan De Ville, same 472 but obviously much less encumbered. I used to borrow it at times and used to get 21 Imp so corrected to about 17.7 US. Mind you this was at 50 to 55 and a pretty gentle foot. I loved that car..just beautiful lines. I liked it so much I sought out a 69 for myself a few years later. Oddly that one never did better than a little under 20 Imp. And of course the 69 didn't have the same handsome look up front as the 68. Boy would they ever haul tho if you threw mileage out the window. The 68 was quick to overheat I remember when trying on Dodge 440's of the era on a famous uphill climb around here. But it gave the two in the 440 such a run for their money I'm sure they must still remember the 'almost' spanking by the big Caddy..

Talk about old memories...sigh...the Scirocco. Absolutely loved (still do) the lines on that car. I couldn't afford one so ended up with a brand new Dasher of the same era. To this day I remember spanking a Trans Am (guy I used to work with on a welding line building Chevy vans years ago, had one) at a light one day when we both knew we were gonna give 'er. He passed me at about 35 or 40 mph. I betcha he still remembers that day too. Lotsa fun..
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,253
    edited May 2013
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=home&daddr=23rd+and+F+street+NW+DC

See the "saddr=home" part? That tells Google Maps to start at your home address (that you told Google at some point). When I click the link it starts at my home address in the Chicago suburbs. If you do a fresh map link using your home address instead of the Home identifier it should be the same for everyone.

Edit: I recommend you not use your actual home address as you probabl don't want to post that to a public forum. Use your city, zip code, or the address of the local police department :shades: instead.
  • Ha! yeah Azera, the "luxury" model Sonata. Some of these car names are getting as weird as new prescription drug titles. ;)
    I ordered four new Denso plugs from Rock Auto. Will bore everyone with my plug gap findings.
    OH I loved that Scirocco. Mine was a white '80. 1,950 lbs of fun. Incredible manual steering, giant single wiper blade, golf ball shifter, VDO gauges. I was very sad when it sold.

Back on topic, I do find it amazing that my new Accord weighs nearly 1,300 lbs more, has 2.5 times the hp, much more interior room, many more features and still gets better mpg. Of course you could switch it up and wonder what kind of mpg they could get from a 2,000 lb vehicle using today's tech.
    edited May 2013
    Good idea. No, I used the address a home that I sold a few years back.

The point was made that my drive, while all "highway", requires me to merge onto three different major roads and the commute is very hilly. Now that I thin about it, there is no way for me to get a true highway figure unless I go on a real highway trip.
    I just booked a beach house rental 400 miles away down near Emerald Island, NC. This trip should give me a true highway figure, as the roads closer to the coast are all very flat. Heck, I am looking forward to the drive and the MPG test more than the vacation! I guess I am a true gear-head. :)

It's too bad they don't sell the 3rd gen models here. There is a really cool 2nd Gen red one nearby. I will snap a photo for ya.

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Your point (and mine) still stand. At least Hyundai has attempted to make reparations for the error of their ways (however intentional or not). Eyes are now on Ford for the hybrid vehicles not living up to the standards set.

Full disclosure: I drive a 2009 Sonata, GLS V6. Rated 19/29. I drive 90% interstate; my mpg average is 31.1 as of lunchtime today. I do limit my speeds to 75 mph or so (highest limit in Alabama is 70), we do have some hills.

I'm not a sold-out Hyundai guy. My prior two vehicles were Accords. I'm actively car-shopping right now; Altima, Accord, and Ram 1500 Pentastar. No Hyundai is on my shopping list - juts wanted to let you know I'm not batting for Hyundai - but the numbers argument is a moot point to me. If you're buying your car because of a 40mpg rating over a 38 mpg rating, you might be too boring to be my friend. ;)
    edited May 2013
    Awesome! No really I understand. I liked the car because of its looks and the warranty. The good gas mileage was just a bonus, and coming out of a V8 SUV that got 14MPG....25mpg is great....just not what was advertised.

A recent Motortrend tested a Prius vs a CMax. They chose the CMAX hands down So, the authors neighbor asked him which one he should buy, and he told him the C-MAX. So, his dips*** neighbor went out and bought the Prius anyway, over 2mpg. Now that guy cannot be my friend. He asked a professional car reviewer what he should buy and then doesn't take the advise? What an a**.

Actually real world the Prius kills the cmax in mileage. Ford has really dropped the ball. The V-6 Accord gets the same mpg as the 1.6 liter ecoboost Fusion. The new fords have a nice driving feel, but they are horrible on gas. The EPA should look into their numbers.
    Cmax has a lot more power than the Prius.
    EPA tests are short and Cmax can run longer on battery.

How about a history lesson?

2004 Prius Mileage

2005 mileage same car

What changed and why?
    The interior of the Prius V is atrocious. First, the I-P looks like a 1989 SOUNDESIGN stereo. Instrument Panel in the middle? Instead of right in front of me? It's just a cheap flat slab of a thing with mismatched buttons and readouts that look designed by committee. The materials are inferior, it has virtually no sound deadening materials. It cannot compete in any real way with the C-MAX in driving dynamics. It is one of the worst handling vehicles on the market. To it's credit it has a very durable drivetrain. I have heard reports from NYC cab drivers Assn that they are "bulletproof", but for close to $36,000 there is NO WAY I would ever buy one.

Does the Prius get 2 MPG better than C-MAX in SOME categories? Yes, but there are two different C-Max models, and 3 different Prius models. It depends on your driving. These vehicles are designed to excel in mixed driving, not 90% highway where the electric motor and the batteries are just DEAD WEIGHT.
    I don't think Ford dropped the ball at all. They have stepped up to the plate.
    Is the 1.6 Ecoboost underpowered in a 3600 lb car? Yes for around metro DC. I posted a hundred times a few months back that the motor will be overworked. Not a good combo for durability, IMO.
    Also, if I hear the word "Ecoboost" one more time I will scream.

My sister had a Gen II Prius and has a Prius V, both of which I have driven and ridden in multiple times.
    For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the V, but it does drive tighter than a Gen II.
    If you like the 'triple crown' of noise, engine tire and wind, it's great.
    Basically, on the highway, it's good for people who are hard of hearing.
  • I would rather walk than drive a Prius.....
    I would rather walk than drive anything. I drive when it is too far to walk.

Judging by our collective waistlines I am clearly in the minority though. ;)