Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    There is VCM in the V6 coupe. Just not the 6-speed manual model.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Yes, I didn't make that very clear. VCM and a manual don't go together. :blush:

And manual and sedan don't go together, in the V6 flavor. Thank goodness the manual is still offered in all trims of the I4!
  • I have neither Backy...just a plain ole Altima 2.5S with a few options.

But I was talking about the Silver Accord EXLV6 6spd sedan Elroy posted a picture of.
    All the power of the V6 in the sedan with the control of the slick 6spd. I've been looking at new Accords...but I may look and see what kind of deal I can get on an 06 or 07 EXLV6 6spd sedan.

I'm somewhat surprised the Sonata will have a 6spd manual...its true that the SE I4 was at one time manual only but from Hyundai website it seems the Sonata I4 is now automatic primarily...but you can order a I4 with manual. I'm willing to bet the ONLY Sonata in the next generation to be offered with the manual will be a bare bones GLS. It's sad that the manual transmission is dying.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    I know what you mean about "they are all doing it" (my words). That still doesn't make it right in my mind. I would rather see the upcoming accident, than be surprised by it. Safety should be built into the doors/frames/whatever and still keep the larger windows. I know many people like the "slots in a box" styling, but I certainly don't, which was my point. You couldn't give me one of those Chryslers that is built like that. Again, that is my personal opinion, and we all have one of those even if they are all varied. I am happy to see there are others that feel a little bit like I do anyway. Now if the designers would just rethink their designs...hmmmm dream on, I know. By the way, I like the windows that roll all the way down too.
    van
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    It's a smaller car than this discussion is about, but one that seems to me to have those old-time bigger windows is the Suzuki SX4.

I'm used to the more modern styling myself. I rode in someone's Pilot recently and those giant picture windows and all that empty space above my head made me nervous :) , plus I got a headache from too much bright sunlight :( .
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    It's not safety - it's just a styling direction.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    EXACTLY my point.
    van
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    heard if Ford is moving ahead with a 2door Fusion coupe? Milan coupe?
    Manual transmissions are falling by the wayside. With the 5speed/6speed automatics coming out they give just as good MPG. Traffic is another reason people are moving more towards automatics. Market trends are also away from manual transmissions. I know its a bummer for those who like the control and the thrill of upshifting/downshifting. But a manual will always be available in sports cars.. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The main reason people buy a manual isn't necessarily to save money, but rather, to be involved in driving. I certainly understand it, although I didn't choose a MT this time, I'm not sure I wouldn't next time.

And yes, there are sports cars with manuals, but some of us can't buy cars just for that! Unless you have some $ to share... :shades:
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    All the imported mid-size 4 cylinders are available with manuals, as are the Fulans. Pretty much its only GM that abandoned that market, not that it was a big one or anything. The cool thing is they are almost all 6 speed manuals, except for the Honda.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Sonata and Optima don't offer a 6MT, although one is rumored for the 2010 Sonata.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Different people buy (or have bought) manuals for different reasons.

I used to do so for the extra gear, better mpg, and in order to get adequate acceleration from a 4 cyl. It no longer became necessary do have a manual to get those things, so I went to the automatic.

My son is shopping for a new car and his main reason for wanting a manual is he does not like the "slush" factor. He does,however, very much like the idea of a DSG (though he has not actually driven one). But when I ask him if they offerered a DSG in a car in his price range, would he pay an extra $1000 to get it, he is not sure. So in his case, the cost is a factor.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Hi,
    What is DSG?
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Direct-Shift Gearbox
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    It's basically a computer controlled manual transmission that offers automatic or manual control. The advantage is there is no traditional torque converter on most versions and the shifts are lightning quick - faster than a human can make. The downside is the automatic mode isn't as perfect as a regular auto tranny. These units typically weigh a lot less than regular automatics as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I checked out the mid-sized sedans at the Twin Cities Auto Show today (along with everything else of course). Of those I hadn't yet seen in person, I thought the 2009 Optima was the most impressive, especially considering the value quotient. The new front and rear styling looks better up close than it did in photos, standard ABS/ESC and the improved I4 (from the Sonata) are welcome changes, and the car retains its high-quality interior (slick manual HVAC controls, high-quality plastics and fabric, good amount of padded surfaces etc.).

I was not impressed with the new Fulan. They had a Milan hybrid and two Fusion hybrids, plus a Sport. None was available to sit in--either on turntables or locked. But they were sitting right next to the 2009 cars, and I have to say that I don't see a significant improvement in either the exterior or interior for 2010. I actually liked the interior of the 2009 Fusion better than that of the 2010. The dash on the 2009 looks sleeker and less cluttered to me than the 2010's. The controls and gauges weren't lit, however, so that might make a difference in overall appearance. I also reinforced my opinion that I prefer the looks of the Milan to those of the Fusion. Just too much chrome up front on the Fusion for my taste. I noticed though that the rear of the Milan looks unchanged, except maybe different colors on the lamp bezels. I prefer the rear of the old Fusion to the new one. The new one looks cheap to me for some reason.

The other mid-sizer I liked, although not a sedan, is the 2010 Prius. It was on a turntable, but the doors were open. It looks to me like it's moving just standing still. The interior looks a lot nicer and there was a seat height adjuster button (yay!) on the driver's seat.

That's about it as far as mid-sizers. I liked the Mazda6 also, but I had previously seen it The Malibu LTZ they had on the floor had an especially nice interior color scheme--a brownish two tone--that looked sharper than any Malibu I have seen yet. The best thing about it was the surround for the center stack buttons was fairly dark, which eliminated the cheap look when the black buttons are against a light background. That contrasted with a $31,000 Camry SE I saw, for which the dash was incredibly boring and cheap looking. But the Sonata Limited I saw had what I thought was the sharpest-looking dash in the mid-sized class--definitely the best part of its mid-gen refresh.

P.S. I saw more interesting vehicles outside the mid-sized sedan class than in it. My favorites were probably the 2010 Taurus (love the "My Key" feature that lets parents program a top speed for their teenagers; also it has heated/cooled/massaging seats). Also two new SUVs: the 2010 Equinox (very sharp inside and out, plus 30 mpg highway w/o hybridization), and the new XC60. It was fun to see the new Camaro (looks a lot like the Challenger) and new Mustang. I saw some great high-end cars too, but for that money they should be great. :)

P.P.S. Seemed like most domestic companies cut back on the show this year. Not many turntables or fancy displays, just... cars. Ford had far and away the best effort of the D3. The biggest surprise was Hyundai, which had a large floorspace that was packed for the first time I have seen. Usually you could bowl in there and not hit anyone. Ford was pretty crowded too--GM and Chrysler much less so.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I would love a manual but living around a big city, traffic is tied up more often than not and I just do not have the patients to shift 100 times on my way to work, just not worth it.

I am looking at possibly getting a 2010 Camaro for a second summer car if I can swing it in a year or two. If i do, it will be a manual with a V6.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I think Hyundia is taking off because price and better cars. Looking through the paper they are the cheapest cars advertised and they often come with 0% financing to boot. In a crappy economy, that sells.

My big beef with them is they add nothing to the local economy, almost all their vehicles are imported and made overseas. At least Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Accord, 6 and Altima are produced in the U.S.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    At least Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Accord, 6 and Altima are produced in the U.S.
    Sorry vanman1 but the Fusion and Milan are manufactured in Mexico.
    Boz
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    And the sonata/santa fe are made in alabama, ahem. They're also adding a us plant for kia cars as well. I don't see them being that different from most other car companies including so-called us car makers.