Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Yeah, my two local dealers only have the 4sp Auto. And the Cobalt/Corvette/Malibu steering wheel. :)
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    The "new" Fusion is a tweak to the 2006-9 car, not a redesign.

I disagree.
    All new:
    2.5L engine, 15 more HP
    6 speed transmission
    Electronic power steering
    Better MPG 23/34
    ESC standard, all speed traction control
    BLIS, CTA
    Power dome hood
    New Grill design
    Redesigned fenders
    Redesigned quad beam head lamps
    Redesigned air dam and fog lamp design
    New tail lamps
    New deck lid and 3rd stop lamp
    New instrument panel with ice blue lighting
    New center stack
    Available 12 speaker stereo
    Redesigned seats
    Cabin air filter
    Flex fuel 3.0L
    Aggressive deceleration fuel shut off for 3.0L
    Acoustic head liner, upgraded carpet, thicker side glass, acoustic laminated windshield, constrained layer damping on the floor pan, A and B pillar insulation, improved door seals and more sound absorption to quiet the powertrain.
    That's the SEL, there's additional upgrades for the Sport model.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Actually, tim156, I'd say the things you list, taken together, constitute precisely what backy described--a tweak. Most of the items you've listed are either cosmetic only (new grill, hood, fenders, instrument panel), or minor modifications to existing equipment. The engine isn't all-new, it's a modification of the previous one. The ESC that's standard on the 2010 model is identical to the ESC that's optional on the '09. A new stereo and different instrument lighting? Come on, if that's a full redesign then I've done at least six of them by myself in the driveway over the last 25 years, using nothing more complicated than a set of instructions from Crutchfield.

Or to put it another way, the '06-09 Fusion didn't need much fixing--so Ford didn't do much fixing.
  • Splitting hairs. Lets say half a redesign. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    Also I was referring to the 6sp AUTO Malibu's.

So was I. For example, just saw this in today's paper: Malibu 1LT with 6AT, $23k MSRP, advertised price after rebates and discounts $17,495. Too bad you live in an area that doesn't offer good deals on cars. I would think a large metro area like Boston would be more competitive, especially in today's market for new cars.

Realize though that today's "new and stylish" model can be "old stuff" real fast. If you want the latest style that won't change for the longest possible time, the best choice is the most recently redesigned (mid-sized) car: Mazda6.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Why would you take an "old" Fusion over a Camry.I have heard nothing good about it until it was the "new" Fusion.

I sure would. A butt-load more entertaining to drive as well as feeling more secure, studies show them to be more reliable, and a lot less costly. Plus Sync is hard to beat! The only real "problem" so to speak was with the powertrains, but even those were reliable, if about 10% low on power and economy.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    i didn't believe you about the malibu 4cyl/6 speed availability, so i did a search in ct.
    i found a few 2lt's, but 90+% are 4 speeds.
    my guess is the bottom dropped out of the car market, before many were made, or those are the ones that sold over the last 6 months.
  • GM is cutting down on production and the four speed is a lot cheaper/easier for them to make. Originally the 6spd was only available on the V-6.
    GM did something similar with the trucks. The old model 4spd was the only option until two years into the product cycle. They really didn't start to wise up until the gas crisis. GM is cheap :mad: . Even my Civic as a 5spd auto.
  • I like the Mazda 6 too. Best looking for sure and some nifty safety features. I'm not a big fan of the Camry, too generic. Also they use the Hybrids as cabs up here.
    Boston doesn't usually have too many car blowouts inside the city. We also only have one Pontiac dealership. Honda, BMW, and VW dealers are everywhere. I personally don't like the new Jetta. My ex had one. The interior was too cramped, too many knobs and buttons, not a lot of utility, and kind of ugly.
    Most dealerships in the Twin Cities area are in the suburbs. But I have a good choice of dealers for almost every make within 25 miles of me, plus surrounding cities like Rochester and Eau Claire. I would even go to Chicago (about 7 hours) if I could get an exceptional deal there.

The Jetta is a compact, vs. mid-size, so I'm not surprised you'd find it cramped compared to most cars in this class.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    We're lucky that we live right off a main boulevard with a string of like 10 or so new car dealers in a row. We bought the Mazda and Hyundai at these close dealers and the Nissan and Honda on the other side of town. Makes warranty work and servicing very convenient for us and when the wife is ready for her next ride, have mostly all brands to choose from.

The Sandman :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I'll buy that. How about New for 2010? :)
    well, your civic probably needs a 5 speed auto.
    my mother has an 03 malibu and i got 33 round trip to boston and back the 2 times i took it.
    it took 75 mph for it not to downshift on the hills on the pike.
    i have an '07 fusion and i think it is the best looking of the mid size sedans.
    someone ran into the back of my car last week. the insurance adjuster for the other insurance company said that's a great looking car, when he came by to assess the damage. i had washed it the day before.
    before i bought the fusion i drove a focus, and you definitely get a little more respect with an average size car.
  • The Fusion is a great looking car. I wouldn't mind having one. The Civic gets great gas mileage, definitely runs better with a five speed. Last model had 4sp.
    my fusion is awd and although it has a gas mileage penalty, it works pretty well.
    my kids are old enough to drive so i wanted a car that i could fit in riding in the back seat.
    not sure if you into ice hockey, but i am a big bruins fan, and am really looking forward to the frozen four ncaa's, although pulling for miami.
    i found a few 2lt's, but 90+% are 4 speeds.

That's really interesting, because the 6AT is standard on the 2LT (and LTZ). :confuse: It's optional on the 1LT, but when I did a search within 50 miles of me in the Minneapolis area over half of the 1LTs had the 6AT.
  • Backy are you sure. I went on the Lupien Chevy website (first one that popped up under Minneapolis, MN on the GM website) and couldn't find a single 4cyl with a six speed automatic transmission.
    Also the deals you have in Minnesota are available here in the North East. Those are some steals. It would almost be worth flying to the Midwest to get one and then drive it back.
    As I said, I did a search within 50 miles of me. I noticed some dealers had several 1LTs with the I4 and 6AT, and some had few or none. I didn't look at the dealerships too carefully though. So maybe do what I did... use the Search at chevrolet.com, put in a zip code for the Twin Cities (e.g. 55402 is in the heart of Minneapolis), select a search radius, and see what you get.

I would think someplace on the Eastern seaboard would have decent deals on a Malibu?? New Jersey maybe?
  • It aint worth driving to New Jersey :). Also a Jersey in the most densely populated stated, I doubt they will have many good deals. Maybe New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island.
    I mentioned NJ because for some reason it seems to have the best deals on Hyundais, perhaps in the country. Maybe it's just a Hyundai thing. :)