Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    No heated steering wheel on the Grand Touring? That a big omission for me. Even the 2014 Forte EX comes with one.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,016
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    edited June 2013
    Have you tried any other Honda dealers to see what they can do? Are you in North Georgia (if so, what area, I may be able to suggest another Honda dealer and I also know a great Mazda sales guy on this side of town....got my '12 CX-9 from him last November)!

BTW, were you already familiar with our new Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT, in lieu of Sales Tax)? Since I bought my CX-9 in 2012, I had the option to 'opt in' to the TAVT when it went into effect in March of this year. The 6% Sales Tax I paid when I bought the CX-9 was applied toward the 6.5% TAVT, so I had to pay about $80 to get in the program. And the awesome part is no more Ad Valorem Tax to pay each year with my tag (the so-called "Birthday Tax"). If I keep my CX-9 for 5yrs, it will save me over $2k compared to the previous way we were taxed! =)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    If it's cold enough that I'd need a heated steering wheel, it's cold enough to wear driving gloves. ;)
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,327
    In GA (and here in VA), a heated steering wheel might be a nice touch, but it isn't necessary. My car is warmed up in less than 5 mins. Really, by the time I get to the main road, warm air is flowing over my hands. Also, I actually keep gloves in the glove box. It's hard to think of cold right now. It is already 85 here at 10:44 AM. It was scorching hot yesterday. BTW, The Optima climate controls are awesome.

I get it that it is a nice feature to have.

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    don't get the heated steering wheel either. If it is cold enough that my hands are cold I have gloves on going to the car. Do I then take them off so that I can feel the heated steering wheel? The car will be warm in 5 minutes even in very cold temps, so what good does the steering wheel do then.

Heated seats I can kind of see because they seem to relax your muscles a little.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 394
    I don't get the heated steering wheel being a deal breaker, I guess it could be a luxury that you enjoy, but even living in Canada I don't really see that it is a necessity, never had one my self though so maybe if I did I would feel differently ( as I have wound up feeling about other things that I never had on a car before). I do really like heated seats , especially on my diesel smart, the car takes longer to warm up, and in really cold weather may not put out a lot of heat ( in city traffic at least, most of my driving is highway so mine seems to do well, others have mentioned this though), so like an electric car it is an efficient way to warm the driver. Even at that the steering wheel is never so cold that I feel the need for it to be heated, and I normally don't wear gloves either.
    You have a diesel Smart? Please tell me you live in Toronto! I see a lot of Smart cars downtown in DC, and there is even a car sharing business called Car 2 Go where Smart cars are rented and unlocked by an i-phone, and the cars are parked all over the GWU/Foggy Bottom area.

Do you also have a mid size sedan?

I live in the niagara region ( close to Toronto but not in it thankfully). No midsized sedan at the moment currently have a Matrix and a Mazda3 in addition to the smart, last midsized sedan I had was a Subaru Legacy.
    Does your Diesel Smart have the 800 cc 3 cyl? If so, then you are a very, very patient man! It has 54 hp, right?

BTW, My family is from Buffalo! It is gorgeous up there on the Canadian side!
    I loved going up to Buffalo to visit, then across the Peace Bridge at Fort Erie and taking Niagara Parkway to the falls. I asked my wife to marry me at Niagara on the Lake!!!

Anyway, if you were going to buy a mid size sedan by this fall (so the Mazda Diesel will be available as a choice), which one would you buy?

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    Is your freezer at home set at at least 0¼ (cold enough to keep ice cream relatively hard)? But before you try this test, set the freezer for -30. Wait a few hours for it to go down in temp. That is what the interior of a car can be in many parts of Cda, before the sun rises on a night that was -35 give or take. Now.. grab your gloves for an interesting little test. Have one piece of something that resembles a steering wheel...maybe a plastic broom handle? How about a pc of 1.5" ABS black drain pipe from that last plumbing repair? Have one pc in the freezer prechilled. Have another that was wrapped in an electric blanket. Put your hands in the freezer for a few minutes holding onto the prechilled pipe. Now try it with the prewarmed one. You will immediately feel the difference. It's called temperature conduction.

Those who live where they have winter, and think they know what cold is, really don't have a clue unless they have lived the extremes. Even those who live in and around the Great Lakes, Toronto/ Niagara/ Buffalo etc are usually a full 20¼+ warmer than just 3 to 5 hours north. So 0¼ in Toronto...a really cold night...is easily -20 to -25 0¼ in North Bay. And believe me, the car interior does not warm up in only 5 minutes. Even cars with known good heaters, can take 20 to 25 min to warm enough that you only then consider unzipping your coat. With many commutes, this is long after you have already arrived at work.

As another example, if you have ever ridden a bike (motorcycle) in the spring or fall, when the temp is a relatively balmy 40¼ and holding onto the bars with your best and warmest gloves...after only 20 minutes, you'll be planning to install a pair of grip heaters as one of your must do projects.

Think snowmobiles if bikes aren't your thing...ya...heated grips work..

Believe me, there's a place in the world for heated steering wheels. If you are young and vibrant (with great blood circulation still in your extremities) or if you live where you think cold is 10¼ then you probably can't really relate. So don't order a heated wheel.
    We hear you. I didn't even know there was such a thing as heated steering wheels until I test drove the new Nissan Altima. Of course I don't know about engine heaters in the extreme north either. For those of us south of those regions, heated seats are a must for snowy winters but that's about it. I thought that a heated steering wheel would be nice but not a reason to buy or not buy the Altima all by itself. And in fact we got the Accord, which doesn't have that feature or the remote start, which would also be nice but not necessary for me.
    I live is South Dakota and we also have -35 temps. When I drove my Accord home from the dealer the temp was -15 F (bought it in Bismarck ND). Still never felt the need for a heated steering wheel. When it is that cold I am wearing gloves. I can honestly say that I have never thought "this steering wheel feels cold I wish it were warmer." Plain and simply a non issue.

I realize others may feel differently.
    Though maybe it's like the backup camera. I never had one before, so I never felt the need for one. Now that I have it, it's a must!
    I remember the blizzard of 77 in Buffalo. My father dug out a tunnel (almost) to the then brand new '78 Trail-duster, and we left at 4PM on the 29th. At the toll plaza leaving Buffalo, which was closed except for emergency vehicles My dad talked to the cop and they let us follow a snow plow for 60 miles. He had a way with words, plus the cop liked the truck and thought it would make it.

Here is an excerpt from the National Weather Service about that fateful storm the day before we left:
    DURING THE MORNING, THE TEMPERATURE ROSE RAPIDLY FROM FIVE DEGREES AT
    MIDNIGHT TO 26 DEGREES AT 11 AM. AT 11:35 AM, THE FRONT PASSED THROUGH
    THE BUFFALO AIRPORT. IN A SHORT TIME, THE VISIBILITY DROPPED FROM 3/4
    MILE TO ZERO AND THE WIND SHIFTED AND INCREASED TO SOUTHWEST AT 29
    MPH WITH GUSTS TO 49 MPH. THE TEMPERATURE FELL 26 DEGREES TO ZERO IN
    JUST OVER FOUR HOURS. THE BLIZZARD REACHED ITS WORST SEVERITY DURING
    THE LATE AFTERNOON AS WINDS AT THE BUFFALO AIRPORT AVERAGED 46 MPH
    AND GUSTED TO 69 MPH. GUSTS OF 75 MPH WERE RECORDED AT THE NIAGARA
    FALLS AIRPORT. WIND CHILLS REACHED FIFTY TO SIXTY DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

THOUSANDS WERE STRANDED IN OFFICE BUILDINGS, SCHOOLS, POLICE
    STATIONS, FIRE HALLS, AND FACTORIES. CARS WERE STALLED EVERYWHERE AND
    ROADS BECAME IMPASSABLE. WHEN A FIRE BROKE OUT ON WHITNEY PLACE, FIRE
    FIGHTING EQUIPMENT WAS UNABLE TO GET THROUGH. SIX HOMES WERE
    COMPLETELY DESTROYED AND FIFTY PEOPLE WERE LEFT HOMELESS. NEARLY ALL
    TRANSPORTATION IN AND OUT OF BUFFALO STOPPED.

It isn't just the cold that gets you Gimmee! Also, I bet you had to walk to school 10 miles uphill, both directions! Lol.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    Also, I bet you had to walk to school 10 miles uphill, both directions! Lol.

haha, actually it was 1 mile each way.. (1/4 mi of it a substantial hill)...'course that was only one of the ways, lol
    Ahh childhood...back in the good 'ol days were you had to watch where you stepped for fear of big black plops with berry seeds in it..
    And skitters the size of hummin' birds...ok, that last one was an exaggeration ;)

edit- btw, I remember that blizzard too. I had forgotten the year, but that puts me in TO at the time delivering mail by foot. I remember simply not being able to get up to one of the doors of a house for snow...exhausted..was about 7 at night and was delivering in the dark...and said that's it I had enough. Tried to take the undelivered mail back to the PO but it was close so took it home and delivered it next work day. Got in shyte for that...not suppose to take it home..They have lock boxes that you use for dropping or picking up new route mail while enroute...problem was, I couldn't FIND it! I knew where it was supposed to be though..

Ya, that was a big storm...last one anywhere near (not as bad tho) the severity up here was back in 95 or 96? Got over 3' of snow in less than about 6 or 7 hours..
    my mid-sized sedan just looked like a rolling hump of snow under it..
    My father was a car guy too. That's how we ended up in Buffalo during a blizzard at the end of January! My mom begged him not to go, but he had brought home that new truck and the only true test (by his standards) was for it to survive winter in Buffalo. I am glad we went. Very memorable for a 7 year old. To this day, nothing here in DC has ever accumulated even 1/4 of the snow they get up there.

Anyone have any snow stories with mid size sedans? (trying to get back on topic). Has anyone purchased a new sedan withing the last week?

Plenty of snow stories with my midsized sedans. 4 snow tires does amazing things on a FWD sedan. If the roads are open I have no problems. Up here they have steel gates they lower across the interstate so it is easy to close the roads, and they do it 2 or 3 times a winter.
    I have looked at snow tires many times on the tire rack, and with manly names like "Blizzak" and "Sottozero" I can't help checking them out when fall rolls around. I am skeptical that they really work as advertised. The tread blocks hardly seem any different from any normal tire.

So, what is it that makes winter tires tick?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    usually the tread blocks have more sipes (sp?) for better ice grip. And a different tread compound.

and they really do work.

No, not like the old 1960s Big chunky block snow tires.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I really like the 6 so it would probably be my first choice in diesel form, my next favorite is the passat ( again in diesel form) I know many people think its styling is dull, but I think it is classy.
    Oh and yes my car has the powerhouse 800 cc diesel motor, I think your HP guess is a little high though, I am pretty sure that up here ( as opposed to Europe) they were tuned to 40 some odd HP due to the lower cetane of our fuel in North America. It takes around 20 sec 0-60 which sounds really bad, but in reality it keeps up with the flow of traffic fine, and most of the time I am out accelerating everyone at the stop lights, it is fine on the highway as well ( I tend to drive to work at around 120km/hr)., and the milage is extremely good ( 60-75 mpg US). There are new cars that are advertising milage that is getting close to what the smart gets ( like the gas smart the aerodynamics hurt it on the highway), and when it dies I may replace it with one of them ( of course the Matrix is getting very little milage on it so it should hopefully last a long time). It is also a convertible which adds fun to it, and yes it is fun to drive ( to me anyway).
    Sorry I have gone all my life so far without a heated wheel, and yes I have lived through temps of -40 without one ( grew up in NB so yes I do know a thing or two about cold too) ( though not artic cold of temps below -50). As I said it may be a "nice" thing to have but I don't see it as a deal breaker if the car I like best doesn't offer it, I certainly never said itmight not be nice, but that it wouldn't stop me from buying a car if I liked everything else about it. I think you need to give some people some credit for their life experiences too, you aren't the only one who has experienced things you know. In any case I am not saying you should do without a heated steering wheel if you want it ( or the original poster for that matter) I just don't see a luxury like a heated wheel being a deal breaker ( oh how did we live without them for all these years) , but that is not to say it isn't for you. Also like I said my opinion might be different if I had one ( as has happened with other things that I could live without until I had them) but at this point I can live happily without it ( and it is just another thing to break down).
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 230
    It takes around 20 sec 0-60 which sounds really bad, but in reality it keeps up with the flow of traffic fine, and most of the time I am out accelerating everyone at the stop lights, it is fine on the highway as well

Really? Are there lots of amish where you live?
    Well at the time it was a mid sized Sedan, when I was going to university in the eighties I drove a 1971 Volvo 144 sedan, one morning when I had to get to exams we had had a snowstorm the night before ( exams weren't cancelled for anything as minor as a snow storm in New Brunswick). I went out to my car, and cleaned it off, the snow was up to the hood of the car, I started it up, back up as far as I could ( a few inches) and proceeded to drive out of the driveway, plowing snow all the way, we had cleaned to plow pile at the street, but I had to get to my exam so didn't hav time to shovel the rest. Mind you those old Volvos were different from today's cars, at the time of the above story I did have old tech Michelin snow tires on the car, but before that we had never had snows on our cars, just used the Michelin zx radial summer tires all year round, we still got around better than pretty much everyone else, including going up rather steep hills ( leaving surprised people with the FWD " snowplows as they were advertized at the time looking on in dismay) of course that was in the wagons with better weight distribution, those car also had about 8" of ground clearance ( almost as good as, or maybe better than some new CUVs have ( and some SUVs as well) and the 165/15 tires were skinny and could find good traction since the weight of the car was on those small contact patches. They were great cars in the snow ( and off road too for that matter).
    No, just most people use very little of the capabilies if their cars, also the smart has good gearing the the first three gears, it accelerates to 30mph pretty well, there is then a gap to forth which drops it out of the best power range, once you get through that 4th to 6th are fine. I also think part of the slowness is just getting moving, with some turbo and drivetrain lag, if you prepare in advance some of that goes away ( so probably closer to 15 sec to 60) still slow I admit, but once rolling until you get up to about 110 kph the torque is there to accelerate it more normally, I never feel as though it is dangerous at all ( though I freely admit, the power of the Matrix is nice to have too, and I am sure even more power would be addictive). At some point I am going to get the smart "chipped" to get me up to around a whopping 60 hp which should increase the fun factor a little. I have had it for about 3 years now and have put 120,000 km on it so I am very familiar with what it can and can't do ( I even drove it 2400 miles to New Brunswick and back when I need to go see my father before an operation in a four day weekend). It works just fine over all and those 2400 miles cost me a grand total of $ 150 in diesel ( a friend at work towed his trailer to go camping less than 300 miles and spent more than twice that in gas for his truck, to be fair he was towing a 35-40 ft fith wheel trailer so it wasn't exactly getting the best milage).
  • ethel6932ethel6932 Posts: 1
    Im just gonna throw this out here and see if anyone else has noticed this issue. I just purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion SE about three weeks ago .. it has approximately 700 miles on it and I really do not like it . I traded my 05 expedition and at this point would do anything to have it back .. with that said... have any of you driven your '13 fusion with the windows down ... the noise is terrible .. i mean just unbearable ... I can only compare the noise in my car from the wind or whatever causes it to standing under a helicopter that has the blades spinning at full force, the noise hurt my ears so bad i cannot ride with the window down ... I think this is unacceptable . The salesman says that i should just ride with the windows up and the air conditioner on .. this was his solution ... any comments ? solutions? similar complaints? I live in upstate NY ... we like to ride with the windows down . Also at 400 miles the brake rotors (all four of them) had grooves worn into them and when you step on the brake it makes a terrible noise and the front end vibrates its really awful .
    Don't know why your brakes are bad already, did the dealer miss something in prep?
    As for the noise with window down, this is pretty common with a lot of cars, that said it normally happens with just one, or sometimes with just the front windows down, normally if you open the rear windows a bit too this stops the noise, hopefully that is the case with your car.
  • We own a 2011 Sonata 2.0T and a 2014 Mazda 6. BOTH cars have that same "chopper blade" sound when you only have the rear windows fully (half way) down at Highway speeds. I attribute it to the new, almost flat, sloping rear window style that traps the air above the rear deck.
    Try experimenting with different levels on the rear windows and opening the fronts too. As for the brakes, demand better.....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I've found that opening the passenger front window to varying degree plus the driver's rear window (again to varying degree) provides good flow-through ventilation with minimal noise and wind buffeting of the driver. It's worked on lots of cars over the years. Try it and experiment.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676
    scwmcan is correct. This noise occurs in every modern car (2000+) I've driven. I just open one of the rear windows a bit and it corrects the annoying...pulsating sound.

The brake rotors at 400 miles sounds like a problem...and the vibrating as well.

I've warped rotors on a very hot day driving through a puddle (central TX summer), but I imagine at this time of year in NY you wouldn't have this problem.

I drove a Focus SE (auto and manual) and I thought it was a great car for the price. To me it just seems like a brake issue that Ford should happily repair under warranty.

Are there any other issues or things you don't like about the car? It seems extreme to want to get rid of it; I think you'd take a huge loss.