Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Camry had a lot of bad reviews here"

Some of the stuff in here is noise. You have to like the car you buy be it domestic or foreign and hope you get a vehicle off the assembly line that will give you a great ownership experience.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Am I missing something or is the Saturn as good as I think it is compared to Toyota?

I too checked out the Saturn (I assume you mean the Aura) a few months back. Seems like a good car that would go the distance and satisfy you. However you have to wait for 75,000 miles to hit the odometer to find out if your assumption was correct whereas you can pretty much bank on the Camry (or Accord) doing that.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    just a suggestion depending on what value you put on engine/drivetrain refinement - stick with the XR variant with the 3.6 in it - but drive it first and make sure that you accelerate it hard coming out of a corner on a test drive. Do yourself a favor, though, and test the new Altima as well. The Aura impressed me as well, and certainly may be 'Detroit's' best effort to date. Or you can wait for the 08 Malibu to get onto the lots, same car slightly different styling cues. The Camry V6, IMO, is easily the best V6 out there right now, likely will get you better FE and may not actually cost any more to own than a Saturn or Malibu. The longer you plan to keep the car, the cheaper things like the Saturn/Malibu become. I would be curious what sort of prices you are being quoted on both cars?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    I'm confused, I just see 2.9-4.9% and $750 dealer incentive there.

I know we agreed to drop this but I didn't want to leave someone confused. ;)

It was said that there were currently no cash incentives on the Accord, only low interest rates. You saw how there is a cash incentive in my area right now which I'm guessing will only increase as the year goes on. Follow now?

Plus the $750 says "Eligible vehicles sold utilizing this incentive program do not qualify for: 2007 Accord 4-cyl Sedan Special AHFC Lease/Purchase Plan"...not sure what that means, maybe that they don't get the $750, if you get the 2.9-4.9%???

They have a low interest rate and special lease program running on certain trim levels of the Accord too. You have to finance through AHFC and, as I understand it, cannot combine the $750 with either of those deals at this time.

I don't think you will have any luck but there is this source for old web pages: http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Cool link! But no luck. They are missing a lot of the 2006 pages and when you click on the "check incentives link" from the Edmunds home page it takes you to the current incentives.
  • 03accordman03accordman Posts: 671
    The variation from zip code could be in hundreds, not in thousands of dollars, as your post seems to imply. You are just confusing people with rumors.

Again, at no point in the last couple of years have incentives etc been in the 3-4k dollar range on the Accord.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    It was said that there were currently no cash incentives on the Accord, only low interest rates. You saw how there is a cash incentive in my area right now which I'm guessing will only increase as the year goes on. Follow now?

Yep...thanks for explaining.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    There are two ways of looking at this...

Yes, that is true and you make some valid points about the potential greater efficiency and profitablity of having only one version of a car.
  • welspastorwelspastor Posts: 2
    On the Camry LE 4 cylinder I'm being quoted deal invoice of $19,811 plus sales tax and license. On the Saturn Aura V6 I'm being quoted $20595 plus $650 delivery, sales tax and license. Saturn is offering $1750 cash back for a cash deal or 1.9% fiancing for 36 months.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the Aura obviously the XE with the 3.5 pushrod?
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    You may want to read this comparo. It may enlighten you.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12148/2007-chrysler-sebring-touring-vs-2- - 007-honda-accord-se-vs-2007-kia-optima-ex-vs-2007-nissan-altima-25s-vs-2007-satu- - rn-aura-xe-vs-2007-toyota-camry-le.html

That was a very interesting read, Elroy5. Of course I would like to have seen a Fusion thrown into the mix, but was not surprised that the Accord finished first.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    to quote the "caveman" from Geico : "? HUH ?" Reference those down the left hand part of the messages.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    was not surprised that the Accord finished first.

Not many are.

They should do the same test of these cars with 60,000 miles on them. I'm sure the Accord would stay atop the pack and probably widen its lead. That's the allure of the Accord. The Aura,the Optima and the Fusion are question marks until then.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    was not surprised that the Accord finished first.

Not many are.

They should do the same test of these cars with 60,000 miles on them. I'm sure the Accord would stay atop the pack and probably widen its lead. That's the allure of the Accord. The Aura,the Optima and the Fusion are question marks until then.

Interesting idea, GoodEgg. I guess the closest thing to the 60,000 miles evaluation is Consumer Reports reliability findings. The book on the Fusion is still out, of course, but the preliminary feedback on the 2006 model has been pretty good.

I was really interested in the Accord but the wife wasn't, so you know how that goes. Plus we considered the Accord to be out of our price range when equipped like our 2007 AWD SEL Fusion, MSRP $27,105.

The other factors were the Fusion's bold styling and excellent handling abilities. We didn't even pursue, test drive or price the Accord but probably should have, in retrospect.

Actually, I like the looks of the 2007 Accord better than I do spy the photos I've seen of the 2008 Accord.

My only serious complaint about the V6 AWD Fusion is its very poor in-city gas mileage, 14.8 mpg and holding at 3,200 miles. It does deliver 24 mpg in highway driving though. Unfortunately, 95 percent of our driving is in the city, stop and go, short hops. Perhaps a V6 Accord wouldn't do any better. We should have bought an I4 to begin with given that gasoline is at $3 a gallon and headed for $4.

So far, the Fusion has been absolutely trouble free for the first six months with nary a single rattle, squeak or flaw to be found. The fit and finish on all of its collective parts are perfect. It's an exceptional automobile -- for us at least.
  • daedalus34rdaedalus34r Posts: 26
    I'm in the market for a sporty 4door w/ manual transmission; today i went to the [subaru] dealer and sat in the legacy for the first time. I was pretty shocked to find how cramped the rear quarters were ... And the sad part is im not even a big person. 6'-0" @ 190lb, i'd consider myself averaged size and I could barely fit in the rear seat. I can get comfortable in the drivers seat ... i just have to put the seat all the way back and recline the seat-back a bit. When i did that, I dont see how anyone could sit behind me. Also, there is some serious lack of headroom [in the back] too, that C-Pillar makes rear-quarters entry an acrobatic task.

I wish car companies would make usable rear seats that aren't penalty boxes. In comparison, I drive a '98 regal, and I can fit ok in the rear seat after I positioned the driver seat to my liking.

Anybody got good recomendations for a sporty 4door with M/T? I hear the altima's M/T isnt so great and I hate how everyone and their mother's have that car ... too many out there.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Test drives are great! Try the Mazda speed also! sporty 4 doors with manual transmissions, wow, this is a tough one. My guess is your going to have to go to a Euro of some sort, Audi A3? Passat maybe? Saab?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    The house is short but there is a Legacy in the stable already. I am personally jonesin for a MazdaSpeed6 but its looking like I am more likely to end up with an Accord VP...about as exciting as a box of rocks :(
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    What about an Accord SE 4-cyl - a little less boring and about $18,000 including destination for the stick shift. About as quick as the Mazda6s to boot. Throw on a large sway bar in the rear for a little better handling.

The Mazda6 is a screaming value though with all the rebates, though the Accord VP really has all the guts of the higher priced models, and is no slouch itself.
  • oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    Interesting - I have an AWD midsize with a 3.0 Liter 227HP Duratec derivative that delivers 19-20MPG in town and 27MPG on interstate runs. I suspect that your engine's not broken in fully yet. It's been my experience with 2 of these engines, that some blasts of hard acceleration up to redline is needed to fully break them in. They're also sensitive to engine oil levels. If overfilled with oil, they deliver poor economy.

REgards:
    OldCEM
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    What about an Accord SE 4-cyl - a little less boring and about $18,000 including destination for the stick shift. About as quick as the Mazda6s to boot. Throw on a large sway bar in the rear for a little better handling.

Yeah, the issue its its another 2 grand for what basically amounts to alloy wheels (with "OEM" level tires) and a fancier stereo. The only things I really like in the SE are rear discs.

At 16k the Accord VP is an excellent value, at 18k for basically the same car, you are getting pretty close to a Mazda V6/stick in terms of TMV.