Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    The only bad thing I've ever heard about Hondas is brakes. But I loved everything else about my new 13 Accord (sport 6MT), including the brake feel, so I went for it. Given that I drive like a grandpa, and have a manual transmission which means, for me, lots of coasting in gear, I don't think I'll have the problem common to those late-braking minivan moms. I ran up 92K on my last car (Mazda3 5MT) and had plenty of meat left on the original pads. Still on original pads in our 2005 GMC with 105K as well. I won't make excuses for brakes that aren't engineered to stand up to what must be considered normal use if it's such a common complaint. At the same time, "normal" drivers seem to be a bunch of maniacs...
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,034
    Don't non-asbestos pads used for some time now wear out faster in general than those in the asbestos era?
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 231
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if the rear brake problems on the 08 - 12 happened more often on the V6 models.

Hers is a V6. I don't know if it's unique to the 6 cyl or not. I do, however, commend Honda on its consistency. My DIL has experienced many of the same problems as others on this site with the 2008-2012 models. This includes, but isn't limited to, the premature breaks (she'd never put breaks on anything she'd owned before) and the #2 cylinder getting wet with oil.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,019
    Awesome comment: "late braking minivan moms"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    The problem with rear brakes on Fords seems to be related to either the parking brake and/or stability control. Definitely not normal wear.
    Ford? My DIL has an accord.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Test drove comparable models of the Accord and Altima on Saturday. The Accord was an EX ($26,195), the Altima was an SV ($26,220 with Convenience Package). They were as identically equipped as they come.

However, the Altima's interior didn't appeal to me. I really wanted it to; the Altima's gauge setup and 5" screen left me feeling like the car shouldn't cost as much as the Honda; it was busy but cheap-looking. CVT performance was fine. The ride was firm, but compliant; much like the Accord. I liked that remote start was standard. With both vehicles, the black-on-black interior is just, well, too much black! I'd have to go with grey.

The Accord felt more airy, more cohesive, and more roomy. The larger screen was crisp, and I much prefer the hard buttons on the EX vs. the touchscreen on the EX-L. By my seat-of-the-pants-ometer, the Accord had stronger midrange power (3,500-4,000 RPM range) for merging. The urethane steering wheel was the only major turn-off. I'm spoiled by the nicer leather wheel in my current Sonata I suppose. The noise level was comparable to the Altima on the asphalt interstates I test drove the vehicles. Driving manners of both were very nice.

I've not yet driven a new Fusion or new 6, so right now, it's the Accord to beat for my 25 grand. Right now, I'm gonna kill some time driving my '09 Sonata V6. :)
    That was a general reply to earlier reports of premature brake pad replacement on Fords. It wasn't directed at you specifically.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,034
    >The Accord felt more airy, more cohesive, and roomy.>
    That's what we thought too. Surprisingly, the Altima is the bigger car.
    I admit my bias, but check out the Accord Sport. Versus the EX it has:
    -leather wrapped wheel and shift knob
    -4 more hp
    -dual exhaust tips
    -decklid spoiler
    -sport suspension (didn't compare, but certainly doesn't feel overly harsh to me)
    -18" wheels
    -$1200 cheaper
    -nicer seat fabric (IMO)

EX advantages:
    -sun roof
    -keyless entry/pushbutton start
    -LaneWatch (camera in right side mirror)

Meh. Save money, look cooler. :shades:
    As for the Altima, I did like the ride and handling. Good CVT (didn't compare Honda CVT, really wanted a manual, but like the Altima CVT better than the Mazda6 automatic). Interior materials felt cheaper. Smaller info screen/rearview camera display. Remote start and pushbutton stuff was nifty. Altima SV trim just looks a little blah. Altima 3.5 with bigger wheels and such looks much better. Skinny tire version looks a bit awkward to me.

I admit my bias, but check out the Accord Sport. Versus the EX it has:
    -leather wrapped wheel and shift knob
    -4 more hp
    -dual exhaust tips
    -decklid spoiler
    -sport suspension (didn't compare, but certainly doesn't feel overly harsh to me)
    -18" wheels
    -$1200 cheaper
    -nicer seat fabric (IMO)

EX advantages:
    -sun roof
    -keyless entry/pushbutton start
    -LaneWatch (camera in right side mirror)
    Meh. Save money, look cooler.

The moonroof was a dealbreaker (my fiance has never had a car without one, and given the mild Alabama weather we always have, she wants one in her next vehicle).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    EX Accord has some other things as well over the sport. Rear A/C vents, turn signals in mirrors, lockable glove box, remote window operation, automatic headlights, defrost in mirrors, 2 extra tweeters in A pillar, auto up/down passenger window, all window switches are illuminated (not just driver) and turning radius is 1.5 ft shorter.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,423
    Which all sound better to me than the cosmetic stuff--which can also be added aftermarket if you so choose. Four more hp also sounds rather unlikely to make any difference in the real world of driving.

\Anyway, the other EX advantages of sun roof, keyless entry/pushbutton start, and LaneWatch are addictive if you have ever had them. Not dealing with an ignition key is just t*ts. It usually takes awhile for people to discover that it is an actual push button. No need to hold it until the car starts. One quick poke and the computer takes over.
    Not dealing with an ignition key is just t*ts.

Finally, something we agree on.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,786
    Can you swing the EXL Accord? You get a leather steering wheel with that, plus leather power seats for both driver and passenger, plus XM premium 360 watt sound system, etc.

I've got an EXL navi and we love it.

The only problem is that it's officially my wife's car!

I'm stuck with driving the 2008 Accord exl navi, which was great for its era but definitely seems a significant step down from the new car. I'm dreaming of the day when I can trade in for the new generation.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,341
    edited July 2013
    This is a little off topic, but I think it is worth mentioning. I live in a condo, and unfortunately someone is vandalizing our cars by casually dropping nails in the parking lot.

In one year, I had 5 punctures in my Optima and almost every neighbor had 2 or more as well. three weeks ago I had a blowout due to having 3 plugs in one tire. Nice. :mad: I ended up buying two tires. I still have one plug left in the passenger front. :mad:

So, I had a $10 web cam gathering dust & installed on my balcony.

I researched and downloaded free security camera software called i-spy.

Well, I was blown away by this freeware. It has all the features of a modern security system, including motion detection, electronic zoom and pan, time lapse recording and playback, etc.

So, if you want or need to protect your home and your new mid size sedan, I highly recommend it.

www.ipsy.com

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

Sport does have the auto headlights. Wider turning radius is a function of the wider wheels/tires (so I've read). I'll admit the rear AC vent (why is this not standard? - it is a family car after all, but I'm not riding back there anyway) and upgraded sound system would be nice. To each his own priorities. I swore I'd never have another urethane steering wheel, and I'm skeptical any aftermarket wrap would look good, even from Honda's own catalogue. Don't need extra sun/heat in Texas, nor to give up any headroom at 6'3". For me, Sport had all I needed and then some, for only a little more than the LX. EX offers some nice kit for only a little more than that, and then there's the EXL, and hell why not the V6 it get great highway mpg.... we all have to draw the line somewhere :)
    The LX model of the 2013 Accord is what my retired parents got a few months ago, and to them it seems like a "luxury" car. All the basic goodness of the Accord is there even in the base model, and it has stuff only available on high end cars 7-8 years ago—like bluetooth, back up camera, direct injection engine, etc.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    Don't need extra sun/heat in Texas, nor to give up any headroom at 6'3"

heh...same dimensions and location :) I hate sunroofs...just another way to bake in the heat. Head room...try driving a veloster with a sun roof :) my seat was leaned WAY back and my head was tilted horizontal. Neat little car (horribly under powered engine).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Pretty nifty. You might post that in our Auto Parts Bargains discussion too:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11c910/780

It's not exactly an "auto part," but it's definitely a bargain at "free," and you never know when someone else might be in a similar situation and want/need it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    0-60 in 6 seconds is fine, but that isn't with the under 200 HP version :P
    As for your bailout theory, keep in mind that those people could have merely set up a warranty fund for Americans instead of bailing out the companies.

Great idea, and in fact GWB & BO did that, before the bailouts were even fully implemented or "official" yet.

One should wonder why we didn't just do that, instead of the more expensive company wide bailouts. Same wonderment I have when someone says bailing out GM saved the suppliers. Wouldn't it have been much cheaper to let GM go under and simply bailout the little guys (suppliers) that needed it?

You should wonder. Brings to mind the word outrageous again.
    Am looking to cap things at 25k out-the-door once a deal is made. That'd put the purchase price in the 23k range; doable for an EX, but not really possible for an EX-L at this point in time. Plus, I would only ever consider leather if the car had ventilated seats. The fiance's Santa Fe has heated leather, but I hate them in the summertime.

I have the pink unicorn of Sonatas; V6, cloth, popular equip package + moonroof. It's everything that's a must-have (moonroof, audio-controls on the wheel, leather-wheel, power seat, usb audio interface) and nothing that wasn't (navi, automatic climate controls, leather). Plus, it's really roomy for my 6'5" frame.

I will probably drive it for a while. I've got 107k on it with no complaints. The other vehicle that really rings my bell right now is the Ram 1500 with Pentastar, 8-speed, and UConnect 8.4. Could I be any more scattered in my vehicle preferences?
    I wonder if the reason brakes need more frequent replacement isn't because Honda cheaped out, but perhaps because your 3,000 pound car of yesteryear is now a 3,600 pound car today. 20% more weight has got to be hard on the brakes, especially if you don't upgrade them for the additional weight.

That was the problem with the transmissions, people who drove using all 240 horses from the 3.0 V6 in 2003 wore out transmissions that probably worked perfectly with the little 4-bangers of Honda's past. In fact, the 4-cylinder models did rate better than the V6 transmissions.
    At the same time, "normal" drivers seem to be a bunch of maniacs...

Us "spirited" drivers prefer that term to the maniac label. I'm a spirited driver, and I understand that with that comes extra maintenance costs in the form of brake and tire wear. Wear items, and completely normal. Of course, if your driving style doesn't change and all of a sudden your brake pad life is halved; people are going to notice (Honda are you listening?).

Added to that, Honda's don't really inspire spirited driving. They are great cars, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't until I got my Audi that I became an enthusiastic driver.

I would hope most maniacs, OOPS, I mean spirited drivers would know this, and not complain. Also, if you car stops from 60 MPH to 0 MPH in 110 feet instead of 130 feet performance wise, you should expect that the pad might not last as long in exchange for that performance gain.
    Yeah, EX, Sport, or even LX fits better with the 25k OTD goal.

Since your Sonata has been so good to you why aren't you shopping that car? Ready for a change? I'm a big Honda fan, and think that the Accord is better than the Sonata in at least a few ways (visibility, handling, mpg, crash safety, etc.), but still I'm curious.

Here's the discounted price of an 2013 EXL Accord at Crest Honda in Nashville. Looks like $25.4 + TTL

Bodystyle:SedanDrivetrain:FWDEngine:2.4L I-4 cylTransmission:Continuously VariableCity MPG: 27.0 Hwy MPG: 36.0Ext. Color:Basque Red Pear…Int. Color:IvoryVIN:1HGCR2F8XDA196235Stock Number:DA196235Location: Crest Honda
    MSRP$28,785
    Dealer Discount$3,394
    True Price$25,391
    I wonder if the reason brakes need more frequent replacement isn't because Honda cheaped out, but perhaps because your 3,000 pound car of yesteryear is now a 3,600 pound car today. 20% more weight has got to be hard on the brakes, especially if you don't upgrade them for the additional weight.

That was the problem with the transmissions, people who drove using all 240 horses from the 3.0 V6 in 2003 wore out transmissions that probably worked perfectly with the little 4-bangers of Honda's past. In fact, the 4-cylinder models did rate better than the V6 transmissions.

If Honda was the only company with a 3,600 pound car today or the only car with a V6 I would say you have a point.
    The urethane steering wheel was the only major turn-off. I'm spoiled by the nicer leather wheel in my current Sonata I suppose.

After getting my hands on a leather wrapped steering wheel, I know that I can never go back to hard plastic.

I'm not even a fan of leather, or leather seats, but a leather steering wheel is a must. I'm saddened by the fact the bean counters managed to get such a basic item left out on a top of the line EX model Accord.