Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Could both of these, Passat and CX-9, be priced too high.

The Passat is priced a little high for what it has, but, the main beef with it is that VW does not offer a lesser Passat to compete with everyone else in the mid-sized class.

As for the CX-9, it's priced really really good. It's far cheaper then an MDX, Q7, RX350, GMC Acadia. It's on par with the Pilot and Highlander.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    So as has been discussed, VW's all-new mid-sized sedan that will be larger than the current Passat, offer the 2.0 and 2.5 engines, be built in the U.S., and start at about $20k will arrive in early 2012. So folks turned off by the idea of paying mid-$20s (after the inevitable discounts) for a German turbocharged mid-sized sedan with lots of features will have the choice in about 3 years to pay a few thousand less for a German-engineered, U.S.-built mid-sized car that will most likely have fewer features but a lower price.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    to da metal, too. Did anyone else hear about the Ford Fusion Hybrid test run that ended this morning at 5:37? Wow...they got 1,445 miles on one tankful, an incredible 81.5 miles per gallon! Make that smiles per gallon. :surprise:

Might just have to put this midsize Ford on my futures list with the three all-electric powertrain cars I'm tracking like a Seahawk. 81.5 miles per gallon. Ford said that we should expect smiles per gallon of what, 43 for this hybrid?

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1020291_fusion-hybrid-finally-runs-out-of-ga- - - - s-1445-7-miles-on-single-tank-81-5-mpg

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,950
    The AWD CX-9 and MDX are only $3475 apart according to Edmunds TCO. Equipment varies but overall pretty close. It would be tempting to get the Acura for the resale and warranty. Five year cost is $4700 more for the Acura which is less than $1000 a year. I would imagine you could apply this exercise to midsize sedans as well. My point is that when less than $5000 separates a standard vehicle and a luxury one over 5 yrs....the luxury vehicle wins IMO.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    The better comparison is a Hyundai Veracruz Vs. the RX350, a fully loaded AWD is ~$10K less than the Lexus and has nearly all the features and luxuries of the RX350. The CX9 Is far more expensive and from the comparisons I made when I got a Veracruz, the VC is roomier up front and less claustrophobic than the CX9, that was the main fail point for me.
    The AWD CX-9 and MDX are only $3475 apart according to Edmunds TCO

This is definitely the wrong thread to be talking about this, however, the CX-9 AWD starts at $32,000 and a GT w/ nav is around $40,000. MDX starts at $40,000 and MDX w/ tech is $45,800. I have a pre-owned MDX with tech on my lot, and I must say, I don't see how it is worth nearly $6,000 more. Plus, Mazda has killer incentives on the CX-9 right now with rebates totaling near $4,000.

If you want to continue this discussion, I can meet you in the crossover comparison thread.
    No need to jump threads. I was just using them as an example of standard vs luxury which I guess is beyond the scope of this thread anyway. Tks.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My point is that when less than $5000 separates a standard vehicle and a luxury one over 5 yrs....the luxury vehicle wins IMO.

$5000 would represent more than 30% of the total price that I paid for my midsize car. This is a huge difference.

In any case, I have no interest in "luxury" vehicles and they often come with things I hate, such as leather, wood and chrome.
    I did say "over 5 years" which represents about 9% of the 5 TCO. But I agree it is still a material amount especially if you don't like the items you mentioned in the first place.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0907_ford_fusion_honda_accord_com- parison/index.html

Conclusion:
    Driving and testing revealed no clear-cut winner in this comparo. Other criteria were called into consideration.

FIRST PLACE: HONDA ACCORD EX
    By a margin as thin as its paint, the Honda's lower ownership cost and slightly comfier seating eke out a win.

SECOND PLACE: FORD FUSION SEL
    Honda's peer in real-world performance, handling, and spaciousness is let down by no-choice shifter, lower-than-promised fuel economy.

I'd have to strongly disagree with the seat comfort conclusion, at least in cloth versions. I sat in the Fusion (with cloth) at the auto show and it was a very comfortable seat for me, amongst the best I have ever tried and definitely better than Accords for me (The Fusion tested by MT was a leather equipped one).

They also said wrt seats:
    To broader-beamed drivers, the Accord's seat might be more accommodating... and I am not "broad beamed".
  • berriberri Posts: 4,138
    I think Honda cloth seats are overly stiff, but I really like their leather. I think D3 leather tends to look a bit on the vinyl side, although I haven't seen the 2010 Ford Fusion leather yet.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Fusion sets mark for best sales month ever - 18,321. Add in Milan and they're over 20K. Pretty strong considering the current market. 6th time in 7 months that Ford has increased retail market share.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    WOOHOO Welcome back Ford!
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    And, Ford is doing it without the government!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I love the Accord's cloth seats better than any others I've tried recently (including the '09 Fusion cloth). I'm one of the few who prefer cloth to leather. I was pleasantly surprised when Honda intro'd the current Accord with an EX V6 with cloth interior. Previously, all EX V6 models were "EX-Ls".

My best friend has an '08 Fusion SEL (Tuxedo Black with Black Leather). Even though I don't care for leather, the driver's seat is very comfortable. I've driven from Atlanta to Houston and back in it (over 1600 miles) with no aches or back stiffness.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,138
    That's why its smart to try seats out for a distance. I've found that Ford generally has nice seats. Cloth and leather each have their advantges and disadvantages and I agree that all models should be offered in both.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I would like to see a comparo with the new 6-speed 2.4L Malibu LTZ. It gets better mileage, I have read as much as 39 MPG on the highway. I have not been in the new Fusion, I will have to check on out sometime. I liked the exterior of the old one better though.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    In fairness they were giving away 2009 Fusions. Locally they had $8000 cash credits with 4 cyl models with Sync going for C$16,500 (less than U$14K). At that price, they better be selling!
  • Yea, I read over at Motortrend that the bulk of the Fusion's 18K sales this month were 09 models (not surprising really) something to the tune of 80 percent. Even still its quite remarkable that Ford was able to push that many Fusion's out in one month. I hope the 2010 can keep up the momentum.