Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    My knowledge is not outdated, nor incorrect. More importantly it is based on my experience and the experience of others. If you give me the dollars to buy my next car I'll happily be quiet. Until then I am entitled to my opinion.

While Ford (and other manufacturers) are making strides to try and be more competitive in the global marketplace, I do not feel comfortable buying any of their cars.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    Based on your additional information, it sounds like an unbeatable deal. Go for it and be happy.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    And I thought I got a great deal on my car at about 7k off msrp! If you are planning on keeping the car for a while, then that's an amazing deal. But if you are going to trade it in in the next few years, an 06 has depreciated a lot already. So is this the sedan w/ leather? Also what color? The only color that I thought I wouldn't like in the 06's was the burgandy one, but I saw it in person and it looks good. Anyways, if you are happy with the car and how it drives, I'd have to say the price is awesome so that should be that. Good luck!
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    it sounds like an unbeatable deal

Does sound good. Stay away from those 'used or rental' unless you definitely know the vehicle's history. New with warranty is a nice position to pay up for.

Also - did you not see the latest Initial Quality Survey by JD Power that place Mazda next to last? I'm sure you have. I feel its an insignificant survey that in which your decision to buy a Mazda supports my feeling.
    with mazda coming out with some new models this year (cx-7, cx-9) I'm not too surprised at mazda not doing well in the initial quality report by JD powers. But keep in mind, the long term tests have shown that the mazda6 is likely to have one extra problem over a 5 year period over the camry or accord, so in general it has been a very reliable car based on data from jd powers and consumer reports. Also, the latest crash tests of the mazda6 with side airbags show the car to be quite safe.

One thing though, there is not an auxilary input for mp3 players and I don't think the cd player will accept them. I recently installed an auxilary input in my 6 and I was able to choose where I wanted the jacks (yes I put in two input jacks...one for an mp3 player in the armrest, and another that plugs into my gps around the compartment in the dash). But if having support for your mp3 player is important, there are some options available that are easy to install - mine took about an hour and I'm not mechanically inclined at all.
  • mcoctopusmcoctopus Posts: 13
    Sticker price says 25,400. It's a 4dr basic s model with 6spd auto and cd changer. I dont know if it was jacked up so discounts look huge :)). Final price is 16500. Docs, ttl is extra.

This is silver with grey cloth interior. I like red, but silver is fine too. A silver car looks cleaner than it is.

You are right about the depreciation. I'm going to sell it at 40,000 miles (or maybe more) so I'll have to take a hit. But I figured that this is at least better than buying the same car last yr for 20,000.
    Apart from side-impact on the front, it's a good safe car. It's rated 3 for front side-impact and 4 or 5 for everything else.
    Given the circumstances you had described, it sounds like a really good deal on the Mazda6. It's not likely that you will top it. I'd snatch it up if I were you.

Dumb question here but do all Mazda6s have a V6 engine? Is this one an I4 or a V6? I think you mentioned that it has a six-speed automatic transmission so it must be a 3.0-liter V6.
    It's a V6. Standard features are impressive to say the least. 17' alloys, ABS, traction control, 6 air bags, power seats, anti-theft device, remote keyless entry.

I test drove used mazda6s and the car is a delight. Great handling, good power and lots of grip (I drove it with TCS off). Autoshift has a lag but good enough for downshifting on highways. The best thing about the car is the chassis. V6 may have less power than honda V6, but with that chassis it will be faster in the real world.
    He's fixing that, too. He immediately took control of the capital budget away from the Board of Directors and he now has sole discretion of how to spend capital. That alone should help a lot.

That's a significant development.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Now, if the bean counters will allow for the improvements!

He's fixing that, too. He immediately took control of the capital budget away from the Board of Directors and he now has sole discretion of how to spend capital. That alone should help a lot.

That's good to know. Thanks for all the information, I hadn't really had a chance to read up on any of this.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Dumb question here but do all Mazda6s have a V6 engine?

If you menat the "s" to signify plural, then no. If you meant to refer the version that is called Mazda6 s as opposed to the Mazda6 i, then yes. :D

Mazda uses the "i" designation for the 4 cylinder models of the Mazda6 and the "s" designation for the V6.
    I meant the "s" to be a plural. Thanks for the clarification. I learned something new today. :)
    actually, in the latest ratings of the 6 with side impacts (this is the first year it has been tested with side airbags in the US - europe tested the 6 with side airbags a few years ago and the 6 did quite well), the mazda6 got 4 out of 5 stars for side impacts. Here's the link:
    link title
    I test drove used mazda6s and the car is a delight. Great handling, good power and lots of grip (I drove it with TCS off). Autoshift has a lag but good enough for downshifting on highways. The best thing about the car is the chassis. V6 may have less power than honda V6, but with that chassis it will be faster in the real world.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Grip in turns is just amazing for a midsize sedan and it corners so much flatter than other cars in this class which is probably why it feels so composed. And the strange/ great thing is, it doesn't have a harsh ride. Usually with a suspension that is really good in mid-corner, most cars tend to get a bit harsh, but I think the Mazda6 is very well dampened when hitting bumps. It's the best of both worlds and is what makes the 6's chassis so highly regarded.

I bought my car in Nov of 05 so the 06's were out already and I bought a 2005 leftover with manual tranny, v-6, bose and sunroof for 19.5, so you're getting about $400 less in net options (you'll have auto, but no bose/sunroof) w/ an extra 3k off what I paid. Plus your car will be much easier to keep clean than mine which is dark grey...one thing I love about silver cars. So to get that price, do you have to finance through Mazda? I had to in order to get an extra 1k in rebates, but I paid mine off in a few months with another loan w/ lower interest so no big deal. I'm just amazed at the deal you're getting... btw, if you do a fair amount of grocery getting, check out the organizer tray for the trunk... it's awesome for keeping things from rolling around and getting damaged while taking corners faster than you should with a dozen eggs in the trunk :shades:
    taking corners faster than you should

I don't think that's really possible in the 6, is it? :)

On the side impact testing, IIHS never retested with side air bags. Their test is tougher than the US or European gov't testing.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Has anyone checked the KBB or NADA used car guide to see what this left over '06 Mazda6 will be worthe once it's registered and driven off the lot.

I haven't checked...just a thought for consideration.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    Also - did you not see the latest Initial Quality Survey by JD Power that place Mazda next to last?

Well, fortunately for this particular buyer, the Mazda6s he is considering is a 2006, and Mazda did better in the 2006 IQS. ;)
    Has anyone checked the KBB or NADA used car guide to see what this left over '06 Mazda6 will be worthe once it's registered and driven off the lot.

Well, according to edmunds, trade in value is $16,400 for a base 2006 Mazda6 s, with automatic. I used 6 miles on the OD and "outstanding" condition.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Reading your posts, looks like your a bit behind the curve.. Ford Fusion/Milan are getting excellent reliability/quality marks. Ford just won 5 quality awards from JD powers also.. ;)
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    Forgive me scrape, but I'm a little confused. I was saying that I didn't realy consider camcordias any "better" than a ford. I was actually taking up for Ford. what I was saying was that any new car from most automakers will easily run well for 10 yrs/100k miles, if properly taken car of.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Okay, let's let that be the end of this latest off-topic wandering. We need to get back to the cars - please.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    you'll have to forgive scape and akirby, anything that even can be construed as slightly negative on the Fusion is by definition 'Ford bashing'. The fact of the matter is that all cars, even Camcords, have things about them that 'lag' the other cars in this group. The Camcords can be 'bashed' for high initial prices, difficult dealers, and in some opinions styling, the Fusion certainly for its substandard powertrains, no ESC, and relative interior fit/finish. The car that I'm surprised we don't hear about more on this forum - the Aura XR - a really good effort on GMs part IMO.
    I agree that any car should usually provide that 100k of relatively troublefree service including those Camcordimas and Fusions. As for what is class leading? - beauty is largely in the eye of the beholder.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    You think a statement like "the Fusion certainly for its substandard powertrains" is slightly negative?

I don't mind bashing where it's deserved but most of it here isn't.

The Fusion has best in class reliability according to multiple sources and it offers AWD - something the Camcords don't. The powertrains and interiors are perfectly adequate - not great, I'll admit - but not bad and certainly not substandard by any stretch of the imagination.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Good God...

If simply stating a fact is bashing then we might as well all go home and stop talking about cars for the rest of our lives.

Fact: Ford Fusion has the second lowest ouput V6 engine in this class.

All right, now call me a Ford basher.

:confuse: :sick:
    does leaving between 20 and 50 HP on the table to all the cars in this group while offering no advantages in FE qualify as 'substandard'? Even the 4 banger suffers from similar deficiencies at obviously smaller differentials. And that is before we talk about the whole issue of powertrain refinements, which I admit is somewhat subjective but apparent to most that have actually driven the cars. 'Adequate' or 'not bad' by most definitions does not equal 'class leading', IMO. Again IMO, the Fusion/6 are well designed cars that do have some good points, but not anything you'll find under the hoods relative to what else is available in this class. And I can't imagine that you or anybody else can consider this 'bashing' a simple review of drivetrain/FE specs along with hopefully a few test drives are all most folks should - one way or the other.
    How is calling something "substandard" just stating a fact? It's making a judgement that many others don't agree with.

Ford Fusion has the second lowest ouput V6 engine in this class

Perfectly accurate. You could also just say that it's 221 hp vs. 240 or 265 in the Accord and Camry respectively.

For me (and probably a lot of other V6 buyers) 221 hp is more than enough and I could care less if the competition has more. I see the facts and make my own judgements.

But other potential buyers who see "substandard" this and that and other totally subjective and in some cases undeserved criticisms may get the wrong impression and not even consider a Fusion or Milan.
    does leaving between 20 and 50 HP on the table to all the cars in this group while offering no advantages in FE qualify as 'substandard'?

Depends on what you consider "standard". Who said that 240+ hp in a FWD family sedan is "standard"?

You seem to be caught up in some engineering competition. I'll certainly give you that - the DT3.0 does not represent state of the art in engine design. Ford's entry in that competition would be the 3.5 and it is competetive. The DT3.0 also probably a lot cheaper than the other V6s including Ford's own 3.5L (until production is ramped up).

However, in the real world application of a midsize family sedan the DT3.0L is perfectly adequate and not substandard to anything.
    Who said that 240+ hp in a FWD family sedan is "standard"?
    that's easy - something in the neighborhood of a several hundred thousand Camcordima buyers (and Aura buyers and Sonata buyers etc.). And yes, HP and powertrain refinement issues are certainly on the top of my personal list.
    Better go tell the 80% of Camcord buyers that bought 4 cylinder models that their vehicles are substandard.