Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    How's the transmission and clutch on the Altima? I'm all with you about having manuals available on the more powerful engines, but it does seem to be getting almost impossible to find. Most 4 cylinders have more power than most 6 cylinders of 20 years ago, and the manual really helps get the most out of those 4s. But I agree with your point.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    How's the transmission and clutch on the Altima?

Not bad actually. The shifter has a smoother action than the 5-speed on my Mazda6, and the clutch take-up is pretty good as well. It's not a Honda shifter, but it does the job, and does it well.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The biggest problem I have is the lack of a three-pedal car with a V6, which IIRC is only available with the Altima 3.5SE. The Accord V6-MT is gone (4-door), even the Mazda 6S doesn't even offer a true manual anymore.

The 4 door Accord V6 6speed might be out in a year or two. The first three years of the 7th gen Accord didn't have the 6speed either. It came out in 06, I believe. If this generation works the same way, in 10 or 11 you may be able to get the V6 6 speed in sedan form.

Can you blame any company for not making many manuals, if dealerships don't want them?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Can you blame any company for not making many manuals, if dealerships don't want them?

Of course not. The dealers are how the manufacturers get paid. But if I have to get a Jetta or Legacy instead of a Fusion so I can have heated seats with a manual transmission (GM and Chrysler are already out, since they don't have manuals at all) then so be it.

I am a niche customer. I want a fun to drive 4 door sedan with a manual transmission. The '07 Accord EX 4 cylinder doesn't do it for me (although 34 mpg and a back seat that can hold a child seat and 2 adults is great). I am not in the market for a new car, just a new-to-me car. Ford is challenging Toyota and Honda in a "one size fits most" competition. Apparently, I am not most.

I keep thinking about just getting the Accord to meet my needs, but shocks, springs, sway bars, 17" wheels and tires in a decent size wouldn't be as cost effective as just getting something fun to begin with.

I would rather have a 06-07 MazdaSpeed6 (or even a Mazda6s at this point), a Jetta, or a used premium car like a CTS, G35 or 330.

Oh well, a little buyer's remorse goes a long way. :sick:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    Is the Solara even made anymore?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    "So the Camry has a 6 speed manual now too??? Really? I'm in shock. Is that only for the 2 door? "

The Camry 4 door sedan for 2010 has a 6 speed manual - no kidding. Also has a new 2.5L engine.

I love my '07 Camry 4 door 5 speed manual.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,896
    Preach all you want about a lack of demand, extra $$$ for tooling and EPA certification, etc. I want a stick with a bigger engine, and NOT be forced to take the bargain-basement, no-optioned, wheezy 4-cylinder just to use my left foot when driving...

To say someone is preaching is to infer that they are trying to teach or convince others of something. I don't think anyone is preaching here that auto trannies are better or that manuals shouldn't be offered, just the fact that demand is low in this class car thus few are manufactured.
    Especially in the V-6s. Reality bites sometimes.
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    FWIW... I spent a week with a Hertz rental 2009 Impala last month on business, and drove over 1,500 miles primarily on interstate highways during the rental. Typical speed was 65 to 75 most of the trip, with 68 to 70 the most typical speed. The best highway MPG was 25.5 on this Flex-Fuel Impala. It certainly would benefit from a 5-speed auto than the current 4-speed. On the same business trip route over the past two years, a new Ford Taurus delivered 28.5MPG and a new Camry LE (4-cyl) 34.5MPG.
    I would think that a Nissan manual would be close or equal to the goodness of a Honda manual. I love the design of the current and previous generation of Altima. How's your mpg?
    lilengineerboy: Is the Honda too soft for you in terms of handling? What about a Passat? Surely those can be had with a manual? Might be a little tighter than an Accord. The new generation of the Accord (08 forward) has good handling, but I have to admit it's kind of like a weird mix of a Buick with a BMW. It's still pretty fun to drive....
    mcdawgg: what king of mpg do you get in the Camry? And what did you pay for it?

I think those manual Camrys are very slick machines. And now with a 6 speed. Cool.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Lets face it, with ATs (including CVTs) meeting or exceeding fuel economy of sticks, and with traffic getting worse and worse every year...

Also add that, based on the recent C&D? test of the mazda6, now the automatic may well out-perform the manual in acceleration tests, even if it is a slush box...and certainly if it is a DSG type of automatic. Also the manuals tend to have a lower top gear ratio, meaning the engine runs faster when cruising...possibly being noisier as a result.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    How's your mpg?

It's my wife's daily driver, and her commute is approx. 40 minutes one-way, mostly highway and two-lane country roads, with a few stops signs and signals. The on-board computer varies from about 29-30 MPG with winter/tires wheels in wintry conditions, to 33-34 on summer tires in clear weather. I've gotten as high as 38 MPG on the display on trips, but IMO it's pretty good on gas overall.
  • If you are talking new Passat Sedans...they are automatic only for 09 on out. If you are talking Passat CC, only the base "Sport" model is avaiable with a manual.

I went and tried building an Altima 2.5S with pkgs similar to mz6user's...it seems the only option you can get on the Altima 2.5S now is the Convenience pkg. The Convenience pkg and the Connection pkg (new to the 2.5S w/o "SL" pkg for 09) is only available with the CVT. If you want alloys and a sunroof, you've got to step it all the way up to the 3.5SE and then you're forced to take Leather, Navigation and other options.

I've seen maybe ONE manual transmission Altima from the current generation. When I got my 05 Altima back in 2004 manual Altimas were rare, but you could find them. Its a dying market, but like a few of you here I prefer the feel and fun of a manual transmission. I just hope they at least keep offering the stick shift on the Accord EX and EX-L...for some reason I think eventually even Honda will drop it, especially since Mazda is dropping the 6spd manual on the i GT models for 2010. :cry:

• ...has anyone read the Passat CC vs. Mazda6 comparison done by Edmunds? It's an interesting read. Both cars are autos though.
    So, the Passat doesn't have a manual, and yet the Fusion and Camry offer 6 speed manuals on their base models???? The world has turned upside down. Awesome for Fusion and Camry. Pathetic for Passat.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I think it's more about trying to simplify the Passat lineup to reduce cost (and price) vs. neglecting stick shift lovers. Or it could be that VW has reviewed the industry's sales numbers and they know that few sticks are sold on mid-sized sedans. I'd be interested to know just how many stick-equipped mid-sized family sedans are sold in the U.S. in a year, compared to total sales.

We'll have to see if the all-new VW mid-sizer to be made in the U.S. has a broader lineup, with a stick available.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Mine is an '07 and the best I've got all flat highway, light wind, 72 mph is 32.4 mpg.

Normally, going back and forth to work I get 31 mpg, mix of highway(60%)/city (40%).

The 2010's new I-4 engine is a little quicker and larger, but it gets an EPA of 1 additional MPG vs. the '07-09 Camry. That's pretty good. The Camry with the old I-4 has always done well in acceleration vs. the competition, so the 2010 will be even better.

I bought it when the Camrys were pretty new (2007 was the first year of this generation), and I paid $18k (not including tax). Back then, it was an OK deal, but then the economy was still OK then too. Now, you can get 2009 manual Camrys (base model) for $16,500, including the $1,000 rebate that they have in most areas. Note mine is a CE (now called base), so no keyless or power seat. I still think it is great for the money, and it allows you to have a quiet, smooth, & efficient family hauler that is just a little fun because of the stick shift.

I'd like to get a 2010 or 2011 with the 6 speed manual to replace our old car (not the '07 Camry), but I'll have to convince the "better" half.
    Wow. Your real world mpg seems to be slightly better than for my 08 Accord manual. My latest mpg from the trip computer (c.40% hwy 60% city) is c. 27 mpg. The most I've gotten on the hwy (c. 75 mph, ac running, 4 passengers, fully loaded with luggage) is 31mpg, and I often get 30 or even 29+.
    I don't see how VW can spin this. It's just pathetic. Doesn't BWM have a manual even on its 5 series, or have they phased it out?