Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,192
    edited August 2013
    Yes I saw that too. Dodge had 126 problems per 100 cars, based on this graph, which is just about right. LOL.

Hey, thanks everyone for the wiper blade advice. I went to Advance to select new blades, but they were all overpriced, based on research I did prior to visiting the store.

I am going to price them at Walmart today, as I really need to buy at a local retailer since my vacation trip is Sunday and I have no time to wait for shipping. The blades are streaking though, and are two years old. I need new ones.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,067
    > 10" part of the cabin filter system lying on top of my dashboard, and screws in the cup-holder. I found them after already driving halfway back home.

That sounds like revenge--didn't get commission on the filter and labor for the mechanic, so he/she left it disassembled. Sort of equivalent to the urban tales about UAW workers sabatoging cars on the assembly line?

I would have been furious about the grease and the keys on public street parking.

Is the latch problem a symptom of a really poor/cheap design for that latch, or is it an anomaly that just went wrong. Sounds like dealer problem that it didn't get fixed the first time and the dealer experience is hurting the car quality experience.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,261
    If you got the SE you got a sport suspension which will ride as you described. The GLS and Limited has a softer ride.
    They don't even have a car wash at the Kia dealer. They contract with a retail facility about a mile away.

I looked for the freshened 2014 Optima, but there were none as they had 50 of the 2013's still on the lot. The 2014's are due to hit the showrooms starting in October but this was a guess from the salesman. The Optima's big brother Cadenza is a beautiful car in person. I am still not thrilled with the grill, but other than that it is gorgeous. I sat behind the wheel for a few minutes, adjusted the seat, and checked out how it lights up. Very classy.
    Sticker prices ranged from $35,900 to $42,400. An Optima SX-L tops out at $35,000, making Cadenza an attractive alternative.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,668
    If you still think Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles fall apart after 5 years then this discussion is pointless, especially if you're going to ignore facts and think JD Power info is useless.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    I think all the vehicles are pretty reliable according to the JD power VDS rankings

The average is 126 problems per 100 vehicles.

So if your vehicle is rated 100 or 200 you're still making a visit to the dealer to get something fixed. If you have a Lincoln you say "Please fix this"...if you have a Dodge you say "Please fix this, and that".

As long as the problems aren't critical, i.e. your tranny, then I see no problem choosing one lower on the list (for whatever reason).
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,683
    edited August 2013
    Really like the CVT so far. Nice acceleration. Very good mpg.
  • yep- that did the trick- the tires were waaaaaaay overinflated
    In my experience modern cars don't fall apart with time. Engines can go 150K with just normal service.

What typically happens is you get a bad part that's either manufactured incorrectly (by mfr or usually an outside supplier) or doesn't meet spec or was engineered incorrectly. Once that is identified and fixed the problem doesn't reoccur.

My 06 Fusion would be 8 years old now and it was still in mint condition inside and out. Nothing worn out and no rattles. Only one repair in 7 years - a broken door handle. $60 and 15 minutes to repair.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,774
    No break-in for suspension components. They only get worse/looser over time. I fear what you are experiencing is typical of Hyundai chassis tuning. They are just not as good as other manufacturers in that department.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

That sounds almost like my Buick dealer in 2010. They have since gone out of business, deservedly so.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    Took my Mom's Fiesta in for an oil change and while I was waiting I grabbed a Ford financial report. It did mention some 2013 models in it.
    One interesting thing I noticed was that the Mondeo, Euro version of Fusion, is available with the 2.0 Ecoboost and a 6 speed manual trans.
    Also available with a diesel. Europeans buy a lot of manuals. If more americans would buy them more mfrs would offer them here.
    Neither. All the mechanics are kids. This is where the company needs the most work. It isn't 1999 anymore, and Kia is making competitive products, but a very short while ago no one WANTED to be a Kia mechanic.

Turning wrenches for Kia was a place you start your career, or end it...(which is worse) . So, now they have to train and get better quality people that know the product. I had a problem last time I was there because of mechanic error, and that was a warranty issue so he gets paid for that...and this time the kid was all of 20 yrs old and rushed through the job. It was just a center console latch, but they installed the cover from an LX, not an EX. Then tried to tell me that was the right part number, until I walked 5 feet and opened the door of an EX an showed them. The THEY had an attitude.

I do have the option of going to the Hyundai dealer across the street. So, this dealer struck out, and it's nice to know that I didn't burn any bridges with Fairfax Kia in case I need them (god forbid) in an emergency for warranty work. I just need to make them walk around the car with me before I accept the keys 100% of the time.
    Quote "In my experience modern cars don't fall apart with time"

My neighbors bought a 2004 Camry as a second car. It has 130k on it. a month ago we swapped cars and went for a drive down some twisty roads nearby, as he was concerned about vibration at the wheel and squealing noises.

His front end is shot. Both half shafts were worn out, and the reason for his visit to the shop is the water pump died. Also, the CV joints were shot too.

Bearings are wearing down every time we drive our cars, whether it is wheel bearings or the bearings in the alternator or water pump, or the main bearings at the crank, there is constant degradation.

Internal combustion engines operate by controlled explosions forcing pistons down and rotating a crank which drives the wheels...it is going to wear out, some faster than others.

I know you know this kirby, but I couldn't let the comment stand. Cars wear out.

I realize you know
    I agonized over buying new wiper blades as my 2 year old stock units were overdue for replacement.

I finally went with the new blade style Bosch wipers; and man I am totally happy with them. They work better than my OEM old style metal frame units...and one wipe did the work it would take my stock units 5 or 6 wipes. Working in conjunction with the Rain-X I use, all I have to say is "mother nature, bring it on"!!

Money well spent, and the Bosch units are a long-wear design, guaranteed to work twice as long as the other brands. We will see about that claim.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've used Bosch Icon exclusively for a couple of years now. I've only bought them twice because they last about 12 months before they start to have streaks. Worth the $22-$24 per blade because they don't hop, skip, or jump at speed, regardless of how wet or dry the windshield is. Previous blades I've bought have always started to hop, making a lot of noise, after a few months. Not these.

I'm now a wiper snob. Considering how much rain we've had in the southeast this summer, it's money well-spent to me.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 470
    Had a new Fusion as a rental car for one day. Base trim, base engine, so I'm sure most individual buyers' are a bit nicer. But talk about a chintzy interior. And that thing was cramped. Narrow seat, clunky center console taking up all the knee space, dead pedal made to fit a woman's size five. Very small back seat with driver scooted back. Might as well get a Focus.

I'm spoiled by my Accord with its large interior and quality materials and attractive gauges and center screen in lower-mid-level Sport trim.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    If you still think Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles fall apart after 5 years then this discussion is pointless,

I don't think that. I think they fall apart after 3 years when the bumper to bumper warranty runs out!

In all honesty, I don't think Chrysler has changed one iota, but GM and Ford have improved a lot. Also, I don't think GM and Ford ever sunk to the depths of Chrysler, at any point or time in history. Grouping them all into the lousy Big 3 does a disservice to GM and Ford.

Feel free to offer all takers a free extended warranty on all domestic car purchases for forum participators here though. Put your money where your mouth is; at least to 103,000 miles. On my Audi it would have cost me about $600 to provide that warranty from 50,000 miles.
    I test drove the new Mazda 6 yesterday in hopes of finding a legitimate competitor to the home run Accord redesign.

The Mazda 6 is vastly improved, but it's still less horsepower, higher real world cost, and less bang for the buck than the Honda.

The Honda Accord Sport has a good notch better interior, in materials, styling, and fit & finish. More HP. The transmissions were very close, but I'm going to side with the Honda. The Honda just felt lighter and swifter on its feet, but it's close. Both good cars, but Honda's got it all over Mazda.

Mazda dealer wanted sticker. Honda dealer willing to give away at invoice.
    "Cars wear out."

Of course they do. I was referring to what we used to have in the 80s where the entire vehicle would fall apart before 100K miles. Literally. A modern car can go 150K miles with only normal maintenance and replacement of wear parts like shocks and brake pads. As for the water pump failure - had he ever changed the coolant? Or checked the CV boots? Without proper maintenance you'll have more failures.

But implying that cars fall apart after 3 years is ludicrous.
    As long as the problems aren't critical, i.e. your tranny, then I see no problem choosing one lower on the list (for whatever reason).

What makes you think the problems are not critical? JD Powers doesn't distinguish between normal brake dust and short-lived Chrysler transmissions.

I can't remember a repair that cost me less than $200, and they came in at a rate of 3 or 4 per year; without fail after the warranty was up.
    Cramped and chintzy are two words I've never heard about the 2013 Fusion, even in base trim.

I'm 5'11" 250 and I have tons of knee space and leg room.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    Didn't say they weren't critical...as-long-as..."As long as the problems aren't critical" :)

I'm not certain if JD Powers just 'counts' problems or assigns a weight to the problem.

I do agree, giving equal weight to an Audi glove compartment latch that needs adjusting and a Chrysler tranny blowing up does seem to make the ranking useless.

Of course, even if the problems were the same (such as a tranny), there's cost too (out of warranty that is). I suspect the Porsche trannies will be more expensive to repair than the Chrysler's.

There doesn't seem to be one established source that can give a definitive answer on reliability. With most repair shops (the legit ones) being computerized I'm certain all the data is available; somebody just needs to access it all and merge it into a central repository...maybe the NSA can do this for us :)
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 930
    Consumer Reports groups types of comparable problems and lists each separately.
    This is from the Christian Science Monitor (!) but there are many sources on the net, announced today:

"The first Hyundai recall involves approximately 240,000 Sonata and Azera sedans manufactured between 2005 and 2011 and sold in the District of Columbia and 20 US states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

According to the NHTSA filing, the salt used on roads during colder weather in these states could rust the steel undersides of the vehicles, which could cause misalignment of the rear wheels.

Affected models include 2006 to 2010 Sonatas manufactured between March 1, 2005, and Jan. 21, 2010, and 2006 to 2011 Azera sedans manufactured between Sept. 27, 2005, and Nov. 22, 2010."

More evidence that you get what you pay for.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    Connecticut doesn't use salt anymore. The stuff they use now attacks rubber, so you have to go to the car wash once a month in the winter to clean the bottom of the car.
    The first couple of years, I didn't get my primary winter vehicle washed and ended up replacing 2 pinion seals and a rear axle seal.
    This last winter I took it once a month and no leaks.
    Could be coincidence.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 930
    Recalls just mean they recognize a problem and are dealing with it. It's not necessarily an indication of a troublesome car. Winter roads are tough on cars but not nearly as bad as they used to be.
    A few years ago Toyota had way more recalls than any other mfr including truck frames that rusted IN HALF! Didn't hurt their reputation.
    True. But it should have. People believe what they want to believe.