Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• If somebody NEEDS more than 200 HP in their car,they are planning to break the law.

Yeah, that's right. I'm planning to break the law with my 220-HP Mazda6 since I "NEED" the extra power for those short on-ramps onto freeways or for passing on a two-lane...

Please...

I said it before and I'll say it again: Automakers wouldn't offer a V6 option (with over 200 HP) if nobody wanted one. I like a V6, since they're generally smoother both at idle and at speed compared to a 4-cylinder, the extra power is nice to have when it's needed, and if driven conservatively, 28-30 MPG is easily achievable, something that I can get, and something that I know some 4-cylinder drivers don't.

And by the way, I've seen a lot of Civics (well beneath 200HP) and other 4-cylinder vehicles that break the law quite frequently...
  • It's time for the mid-cycle freshening for the Altima, and despite Nissan's tight-lipped policies, they leaked a photo of the '10 Altima when announcing a recall.
    ...And the "official" image from Nissan (so far):

Is it me, or did they take a step backward when they made it look like the last-gen Maxima?
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    I read somewhere where the Optima is going to get the 3.3 next year along with it's redesign. Edmunds has some spyshots but I'm not real good(or fond of) looking at cars all masked up. I think both of these cars, Sonata and Optima are going to be very interesting for the 2011 model year. They've been a little behind in the styling dept which I feel has been holding them back.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Other than different fog lamps, what's the change?
  • 1. I don't think it looks like the last gen Maxima.
    2. changes: bumper, headlight, hood, grill.
  • 1. I don't think it looks like the last gen Maxima.

Really?

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Holy cow - that IS the last gen Maxima!
  • My thoughts exactly. Doesn't get much closer than those two.
  • Well, the only thing I can say is that if we think the 2010 Altima looks the same as the last gen Maxima. I can also say that the 2007-09 Altima looks the same as the last gen Maxima b/c the only thing that is similar to last gen Maxima is the headlight. The new hood on the 2010 is the same as the hood on the current Maxima or the G. The grill is the same except they re-design the line.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Say what? :confuse:
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    It's called gibberish.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I think Nissan has gotten tired. For all the hoopla over their CEO, I think he is showing that he really was more a success due to timing. Now he appears to be similar to all of the rest.
  • I think Nissan has gotten tired. For all the hoopla over their CEO, I think he is showing that he really was more a success due to timing. Now he appears to be similar to all of the rest.

Well, we should see in the near future. I think the 2010 Altima has nothing special w/ the design. They should use the L shape headlight like the Z and Maxima. :cry:
  • berriberri Posts: 4,141
    I drove by an Enterprise lot today and it looks like Nissan is a hanger queen. I told you, they've become tired and need some major redesign.
  • Hi all!
    I'm a university student studying transport design in the UK, my latest project is to do a facelift of the Mercury Milan 2006-2009 model, which is annoying considering the 2010 model doesn't look too bad!
    I was just wondering what everyone in this forum looks for in a sedan for work and family use, but also your view of the direction of design for American sedans!
    Cheers
    I look forward to receiving your comments! :) http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/- emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
  • That is one tough question. It's all a matter of taste after all.Like for instance,I like the way my KIA looks,and others think it's ugly.As far the direction of American designs...I hate the Cadillac squarish look,but like the Buick.Some of the Ford and GM sedans look pretty good,but I personally think the Chrysler products are very unattractive. The one American sedan which I consider to have the best styling is the Chevy Malibu.The Fords and Mercs are OK,but I hate their Grilles.I hope this helps you a little.Maybe you're looking for more technical opinions?
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I think the nose and tail of the Milan are fine--but the greenhouse area looks dated. I would reject current trends and go for a taller roofline and/or a lower beltline, but without making the rear window any more vertical. The result might look too much like a Cadillac DTS to some people, but I think it would help distance the Milan from other midsize sedans, in a good way. I'm tired of every car looking like it has gun slits for windows.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    That is a very tough goal, Ford stepped up with the 2010 and made it look really good. In fact the Sport version is badass from the front. If you can keep the lines of the front, but change the grill to be less intense, that is a lot of chrome, that would be about the only improvement I can see for the Fusion. One thing that makes it very hard to design a car is all the safety factors involved. The doors need to be a certain height to provide enough side impact protection to meet the high standards, which gives the impression of small windows. Aerodynamics plays a huge part in car design, and trying to make something with a low COD and yet look nice is extremely difficult. They tried with the 2010 Prius, but IMO failed, it is still an ugly slug.

The trend I see today in car design is they all look very much alike, it is hard to tell at a glance between a Honda, a Toyota, a Ford, and some of the European cars. They all follow pretty much the same basic car design, heck the Fusion and Camry are damn near twins, the only things setting them apart is the front and rear lights and grill. The body lines nearly match.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Great redesign on this car...if it were a bit smaller & less $'s, would be an excellent value. Too bad Ford can't take it's styling and apply it their Fusion/Milan twins...it would be a much better car going against the Malibu. Co-worker bought a blue LT this past weekend & I was truly impressed...the only American cars I'd ever consider would be the Malibu LT or the new Taurus were I in the market at this time. Looks like we can make some decent competition for all the foreign brands if need be...so come on Detroit...get working & maybe this diehard foreign buyer will finally get to go American in the future!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Looks like there's a spot open in the gallery to the right. Which car should fill it? The new-for-2010 Legacy? Or maybe the Optima, freshened for 2009 with a new design coming for 2011?

Or maybe the Galant, Sebring, or Avenger?.... nah.

Just noticed the Sonata is now the 2011 model. Isn't it kinda strange to put a model there that can't be purchased (at least not in the USA) for several months, so there's no pricing or reviews and very little info in general available?