Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Oh Elroy, what do you put on the weatherstripping for the doors to help it seal and not rattle? There was a Honda fluid or spray or something for that, IIRC.

I have never had a problem with the 03's doors. The passenger side front door on my 92 used to stick though. The windows on the 03 had started to squeak a few months back, and I used the Shin-Etsu grease that Honda sells for seals and window tracks. I remember seeing a TSB about how to apply the grease to the door seals, but doubt if I could find it again. I remember it said something about using pipe cleaners to grease the inside of the door seals. I thought that was odd. I have not had any problem with rattles or fading, and my car sits outside in the sun all day. They've fixed a lot of the roads where I live, so there's not much to make a rattle I guess. The dash on my 92 never cracked, but I've seen many of those old sunken dashes that did crack. The only part of my 92 interior I had a slight problem with was the hard plastic around the door switches. Some of those pieces didn't fit together that well, and seemed to fade quicker than the other pieces around it.
  • The windows on the 03 had started to squeak a few months back, and I used the Shin-Etsu grease that Honda sells for seals and window tracks. I remember seeing a TSB about how to apply the grease to the door seals, but doubt if I could find it again. I remember it said something about using pipe cleaners to grease the inside of the door seals. I thought that was odd.

Thanks for looking that up...totally comical. I will let my Honda dealer take care of it.

I have not had any problem with rattles or fading, and my car sits outside in the sun all day.

They were mis-matched and had bad surfaces when I bought it, I just didn't notice it in time. I think that is one of the reasons I think the old Accord was higher quality, the dash only had one uniform continuous surface while the new one has 4 or 5, all with different tolerances.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    "Were you referring to the wagon variant of the Legacy sedan?"

Not if it is a normal wagon and not a "crossover". ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    What is a normal wagon? That which we call a wagon by any other name would carry as much stuff.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    The Outback certainly started out as a jacked-up Legacy wagon--arguably fair game for this forum, as it was originally called the "Legacy Outback." Certainly it bore as much relationship to the Legacy as the Crosstour does to the Accord. Perhaps not strictly a sedan, but clearly part of the same model line.

But the new Outback appears to have made the leap to something fundamentally different--a crossover, for lack of a more descriptive term. It's no longer a Legacy--and in my opinion, no longer a midsize sedan.

The Legacy, on the other hand, certainly is a midsize sedan--now more than ever. It's also potentially one of the best, even if purists feel that it (like the Outback) has lost some of its distinctive character in the latest redesign.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,896
    I think the operative word here is "sedan". A sedan is not a stationwagon, crossover, hatchback, fastback, hardtop, SUV or convertible. If one wants to literally and technically stick to topic we are all guilty.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Much the same as calling a Prius a Midsize sedan. :shades:
    Yes, I heard the sound of glass breaking. :)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Besides the outback, they did also have a Legacy wagon that was just a wagon:

• Besides the outback, they did also have a Legacy wagon that was just a wagon:

Yeah I hear those are pretty good... :P :blush:
  • A reporter would like to speak with drivers whose families have had a lot of automotive brand loyalty. Has it faded over the years? Please send a few sentences on this to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 16, 2009 if you care to be interviewed on the subject.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

The Kizashi drives better than basically everything in its class. Camry, Accord, Altima, Jetta, Malibu, Mazda6, Legacy – you name it.

The above was copied from the first drive article by autoblog.com of the new Suzuki midsize car....the Kizashi. Stupid name IMO but seems to have some things going for it. Ony engine is an I4 and auto is a CVT which I'm also not fond of.

Maybe this car would be a good candidate to replace the Aura on the rights side of this page.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    I would like to go head to head against it with my Sport. I have driven CVT cars for several years now, and they aren't that great for acceleration, great for MPG, but not acceleration. I have driven a LOT of cars over the years, including performance cars, and of all of them I found the Fusion Sport handles the best as a daily driver, and someday would love to take it to a track and put it through its paces, a nice Road America track with curves and turns and straightaways, to really see how it handles, and this is the first car I ever felt that way about. I have driven Vettes, and stangs, and although they handled well, and could move, as a daily driver they aren't that great.

Would be very interesting to see how the Suzi is in comparison.
    I am waiting to read some more reviews of the Suzuki K. The autoblog reviewer was just gaga over the way it handled due to it's rigidity and suspension quality. He was driving the manual however but I think he mentioned that the CVT ran to 60 in 7.9 sec. which is respectable.
    Notice the reviewer did not include the Fusion in the list.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    Another review here.

This time, it's compared to the TSX and last-gen Legacy.

They'd better throw in the V6 before the end of next spring, or it's not going to be on my list. Then again, if they're using the 3.6L GM V6, it may not make it anyway... :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Whatcha got against the GM 3.6L?
    Notice the reviewer did not include the Fusion in the list

Probably just didn't want to name every midsize car for brevity sake. I think the Fusion, Milan, Sonata, Optima, Aura, etc etc would be covered under "you name it".
    And among all four-cylinder midsize sedans, only the Accord EX (190 hp), and Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg and Passat (200 hp) beat it in the power department

Above from the Edmund review of the Suzuki K. Interesting how Edmunds puts both the Jetta and Passat in the midsize class.
    Yep, well, better get a photo of the Jetta over there on the right. ;)

Actually, Edmunds is incorrect, since they themselves have put the 2011 Sonata into this discussion. That car is supposed to have a 200 hp I4.