Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    You're right. I stand corrected. I missed that.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,326
    That actually makes me feel a lot better. Which 4 cyl do you have in your Fusion? 1.6 or 2.5?

I have been trying to keep the instant mileage bar as close as I can to max mpg by being totally stingy with the gas. I have been diligent with it for almost a week now, but short trips and traffic hamper my goals as well.

I am at 22 mpg. The average of the 16 average mpg posts that I received is 26.2 on the 2.4 liter Optima.

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

You know the holidays are here and many people are shifting their focus to X-Mas and buying presents online. This link has nothing to do with cars, but does have a TV selling for car money( $39,995 (on sale from $44,995). The comments and reviews are HILARIOUS!

So, lets see what luxury car money buys you in an 85" TV. Please read!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-Inch-Ultra-Smart/forum/Fx13P0E9HR5I7UE/-- /1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_ql?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00CMEN95U

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    I kept my cool until I got to the "cat" question/answer. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I can't believe (but am grateful) that Amazon has kept the fun going so long. All of the Q and A's are silly, but no one is arguing, inappropriate, or offensive.

The holiday spirit is alive and well indeed.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Good for them, and they just got a sale out of it. No, I didn't buy the TV. :) But hitting that link reminded me of a gift I'd been meaning to buy, so I just did it while I was there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,931
    I have the 2.0 ecoboost. I usually wait for 3 round trips to work before checking the fuel consumption.
    My wife has the same engine in her 2013 Escape.
    So far, it has not come close to the 28 mpg highway rating, but overall it's averaged a bit better than the '09 Escape with the same horsepower.
    edited December 2013
    See, I am not even getting close to that MPG, and I have just the 200 HP 2.4 non-turbo. Are you TRYING to get good mpg, or just driving along normally?

I have been driving like an old man for 5 days now, trying to up my mpg to at least 24, but I am still at 22. However, I am filling up today, and will be trying to reach 25 mpg diligently. On my last fill up I started off at 15.9 and it took a week to get to 19.

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,039
    It's probably just the extreme congestion you drive in. City mpg numbers from the EPA are an estimate considering all kinds of "city" driving. Somewhat congested suburban type with fairly long distances between lights versus a lot of constant stop and go with long idle times are both what would be considered "city type" driving but one would probably net 4-5 less mpg. It's very hard to compare one person's city driving to another unless they are pretty much in the same city and traffic patterns. I know when I drive a lot of errands and don't have even one trip of any distance where I can maintain a steady speed for very long my mpg goes way down. I normally average about 24mpg in my CUV but when doing only local type driving with a lot of stops and traffic signals my tank will be only about 20mpg. I have to stop and think why the hell my mpg dropped so much and then I recall just what kind of driving I did on that tank versus my usual driving.
    I just filled up and reset everything. This tank will determine my MPG using every trick I can. Just getting back to my house I just averaged 26.5 so I am off to a good start.

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,741
    Don't forget you're on winter blend fuel - that alone is usually worth 1-2 mpg drop. And make sure your tires are properly inflated. Mine were 8 lbs low due to the temp change and once I fixed it my mpg went up considerably.
    Where have you been hiding yourself kirby? Can you give us an update on your Fusion?

I would hope my TPMS would let me know on the tires. It is really hard to tell pressure on radials!

I just bought a digital tire gauge at Sears for $10. Still have my old one, which I've had for over a decade. I dropped it and it stopped working, so I bought a new one. The old one started working again and they both read the same pressure.
    TPMS will only report an error when the pressure is more than 25% low - or about 8 lbs. Even a few lbs too low can affect fuel mileage. Mine were 8 lbs too low last week.

My fusion is great - still loving it. Got all of the early build issues fixed (missing trim, fuel tank capacity problem). Just checked and my lifetime average is 21.5 mpg which is exactly what I expected. Although I have to admit I'm smitten with the 2015 mustang. That thing is sharp!
    Didn't you change your tires? Maybe the oem's were LLR and the new tires are not.
    When I bought LRR tires for my Explorer, local driving mileage went up, but highway stayed about the same.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,275
    Well, it sort of looks like a 2-door Fusion so that is understandable. I don't like it myself, especially the interior/instrument panel. Seems like a miss by Ford.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Here is my exact tire. It is really good in the wet, and quiet although it isn't much quieter than the Nexen's. I got a buy 3 get one free deal on them at Merchants.

HTTP://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/turanza-serenity-plus/215-55r17

I don't know if it is LRR or not. It is considered "better" at F/E in the description. The guy I bought them from said F/E would be about the same.

I was interested in a quiet and softer ride, but wet traction was my main priority. I hate to slide. I don't like the feeling that I am close to sliding by just driving normally in a misty drizzle.

I came out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Quadra-Trac II 4x4, and I really miss the wet traction. If I had the wheels cocked to make a right on red, and it was raining, my GC would slide out a bit in the back, and then bite down and accelerate with no prob at all. I really miss the V8 growl and the confidence I had while driving in inclement weather. Goodyear Wrangler LT 245?/60/16 tires came stock on the V8 G/C Laredo in case you guys still have an SUV.

If I tried that same corner with my Optima with the old Nexen's, it would just spin and spin while the traction control tried in vain to cope, with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter. Not fun.

With the Bridgestone Tuaranza's, the traction is much better. The traction control only kicks in about half as much, and I am able to merge into traffic with more confidence in similar situations where the wheels are cocked.

I think the 2015 Ford Mustang looks great outside though. They had to keep the interior "Mustangish", but they are offering the newest (and much improved) generation of My Ford Touch for the first time.

I never liked the Mustang interior as well, but this one looks great IMHO.

Here is the image URL: http://www.ford.com/global/2015mustang/img/plates/s550_feature_1480x700_tech_fro- m_passenger.jpg

and: http://www.ford.com/global/2015mustang/img/plates/s550_feature_1480x700_cockpit.- jpg

Make mine the Coyote 5.0 V8, blood red, with black and tan interior (if available).

According to Tire Rack, your new tire is an LRR tire.
    The Nexen's are a couple of pound lighter, but they don't have any treadwear warranty at all.
    The interior is also significantly upgraded. I don't think the pictures are doing it justice. This will be a global car and I think they hit a home run.
    Oh h*** yeah. The interior is wayyy nicer. Saw the write-up in CD, but I just saw the interior today. The headlights look similar to the Fusion, as well as the grill, but it retains the look of a Mustang of course.

The main problems with selling it globally are being addressed. The addition of a competitive IRS module (finally!), 300 lbs of weight loss, better quality materials inside and out, and more efficient powertrains including a 2.3 turbo with 310 hp, and adding the 3.5 liter ecoboost twin turbo down the road as an upgrade to the base 3.7. The 5.0 liter Coyote "Five-Point-0" will continue to power the GT.

Sorry I went on and on, but I have always wanted one, and now Ford is finally producing one with all the modern goodies(quality dash, Independent suspension) that are standard on the very cars we have now in this forum costing far less.

I had a 10% off coupon from Bridgestone, plus I got the 4th tire for free when Merchant's was running that promotion in August.

Merchant's didn't want to use the coupon in conjunction with the BOGO but the manager got it done. They have always been good to me FYI. The tires continue to show no wear at all. Nexen's = crap.

I have no doubt the interior materials are improved - the existing Mustang has some of the cheapest, nastiest interior materials around. Ford should have been ashamed of themselves. So that isn't a very high bar to surpass. But the design in the new car is just ugly. Very busy and disjointed. Dunno when Ford is going to make an impressive interior. It just doesn't seem within their capabilities.

Then you're in the minority. Most think the design is gorgeous and a big improvement. It will appeal to die hard mustang fans as well as import buyers.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,409
    The new design stacks up better against the Camaro in my opinion. Sales should improve.
    That's OK. The automotive press and car geeks tend to freak out when a new model is introduced. Look at the splash the current Fusion made when it was introduced. People were saying all sorts of over-the-top things about it. It is a solid contender and a competent car, but certainly hasn't blown the competition out of the water and isn't head and shoulders above the rest.

I don't understand the popularity of the current Camaro either. It has a terrible interior, is way too big, and you can't see out of it. I can't imagine living with one every day. I like the current Mustang a lot better. I'm not so sure the new one stacks up as well as the current model. But we'll wait until we see one in the flesh.

• The new issue of Consumer Reports has a page called "Owners Weigh In: The Best and Worst Models. For "definitely buy again" for midsize cars, the results were:
    Mazda6 85%
    Passat TDI 83%
    Accord 82%
    Fusion 74%
    Optima(turbo) 73%
    Camry 73%
    Legacy 71%
    Optima 64%
    Malibu 63%
    Sonata 63%
    200 (6 cyl) 62%
    Altima 62%
    200 (4 cyl) 56%
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    When checking out the Accord, did you happen to enquire about Honda's measures taken with the new DI engine in the Accord, to ensure it does not deposit excess oil that burns itself to the bottom of valve lobes, etc? thereby creating a carbon buildup, that with time will create a higher CR and the need to start fueling it with PUG to fend off the ping. Apparently premature and excessive carbon buildup goes hand in hand with these newer DI gas engines.

I suspect that conservative Toyota is still perfecting a DI engine of some sort..but they sure don't need to have anymore engine woes come to mind for shoppers now after the oil sludge scene. I think that there is just enough different content in our gas vs the EUs, that ours don't burn as clean. Remember when we had MMT in it? The EU weren't using that crap during those years either..I don't think..
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    Did they say, were these the current designs or did the ownership experience go back a-ways? If current designs, the ownership experience would range from less than a year (e.g. Mazda6) to several years (e.g. Sonata, 200, Legacy).

I'm surprised the Legacy and Altima scored as low as they did. Subaru owners tend to be pretty loyal, and the Altima is a solid car, far better than the likes of the 200 and Malibu IMO.
    edited December 2013
    Those results are not particularly surprising to me. Both Subaru and Mazda were typically only bought by the cultists for each make, for the most part. I think that still holds true for the Mazda, judging from its low sales volume, so its high score is not a surprise. But Subaru has become hot the last couple of years and people are buying them who would never consider them before. That probably pulled their score down some as new buyers cope with some of the things that are unusual or quirky about Subarus. It is still a decent score.

I am also not surprised by the Accord and Camry scores as buyers of those tend to be very loyal and think they have the best cars in the world. The makes having scores in the 60s represent the center of the market, not particularly loyal one way or the other. Buy an Altima this time around, something different next time. No real surprise.