Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,210
    Wow. I actually like the 2003-2007 the least style wise. The back of the 03-04 looked like a Buick. As far as the actual operation of the car, it was great, until the transmission recall issues.

Remember that Honda changed the back end in an unplanned refresh. Then it looked much better. (to me). Still, the only Honda that has made me look twice are the coupes and the new sedan, and the new sedan reminds me of the 90-93 models.

It's funny backy, but I think I like the more angular cars and you like the more rounded ones. I actually liked the 98-02 models!! (could my taste in cars be boring???)Lmao.

It is the same with our current choices. We both own the current generation
    Hyundai-Kia's, just different sides of the same coin. Interesting.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    Remember that Honda changed the back end in an unplanned refresh.

No, it was planned. Remember how Honda used to do mid-generation refreshes on all their cars, including the Accord. The Accord's refreshes typically included a tweak to the front and rear. A couple of other examples besides 2003-2007 were 1998-2002 and, more noticeably in the back, 1994-97.

It's funny though you thought the 2003-5 Accord's rear looked like a Buick--the Skylark, right? I used to say that years ago around here, and got a lot of angry responses from Honda fans. :)

New board is nice!!! But back to the Accord...The new taillight scheme was introduced based on customer feedback. I remember reading an article about it. Anyway, all mid cycle refresh are planned..this one was planned due to folks not warming up to it. The back looked like a potato to me, and the taillights bowed into a frown. So, yes, my keen technical description is the back of that Accord looked like a big frowning potato. Lol. :p

• I rent tons of mid-size cars for work (for long trips 6+ hours). Let's face it - cars are just so much better now than even a few years ago. I rented a Honda Sonata recently, and I was blown away by how much I disliked it. It was noisy and cheap and the steering was imho downright dangerous. I rented a Mazda 3 and that was very nice. I ended up buying a 2014 Accord EX-L, and that car is light years ahead of the Hyundai. I'm not trying to bash Hyundai's, I just don't get why they are so popular...it was by far the worst car I have ever rented.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,810

You get what you pay for, generally speaking.

I just noticed this discussion is listed on my Bookmarks page as being in the "Hyundai" forum. Why?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Wow, I can't believe that no one has posted yet. My Optima turns two years old this month on the 28th. I have 24,384 miles, which is right on track for average mileage. So, I was thinking about how the car has aged. Is it as tight as it was when I bought it?

The answer is yes. It has held up very well. The interior surfaces have not faded, the dash cover has no sign of cracking, the drivers seat-bolster has a few more wrinkles in it from me sliding in and out. The back seat passenger seat belt latch has been twisted backwards somehow, and the steering wheel has some wrinkles in it from where my hand rests.

The exterior has held up well too, with a few exceptions.The main issue is the panel behind the back wheel is loose. Seems the plastic screw sheared off. I think someone backed into me downtown. Next, the chrome trim around the drivers window has some scratches in it, and is not as firmly attached to the frame in a one inch spot where the door opens from snagging on clothing during entry/exit. Other owners have had it break off, so if it gets worse Kia will replace it. The paint has normal swirls in it from cleaning and buffing. The front grill is hard to clean and has faded in some places just a little.

So, normal wear and tear from a normal owner. Only 3 more years of payments! ;) :'(

@glastonbury said: I rent tons of mid-size cars for work (for long trips 6+ hours). Let's face it - cars are just so much better now than even a few years ago. I rented a Honda Sonata recently, and I was blown away by how much I disliked it. It was noisy and cheap and the steering was imho downright dangerous. I rented a Mazda 3 and that was very nice. I ended up buying a 2014 Accord EX-L, and that car is light years ahead of the Hyundai. I'm not trying to bash Hyundai's, I just don't get why they are so popular...it was by far the worst car I have ever rented.

The "Sonoptima's" were available 3 years ago, and at the time had really good quality materials. Just two years makes a big difference when these competitive manufacturers continue to "one-up" each other on interior surfaces, knob and buttons feel and how they are weighted, etc.

The Hyundai and Kia EPS systems are tuned differently, but overall I am neither impressed nor unhappy. It is what it is and doesn't bother me.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,467

Alot of folks like the look of the new Sonata. Hyundai discounts there cars so people feel they are getting alot more for there money. Reality is try selling or trading in a 2 or 3 yr Hyundai vehicle.......... there worth dirt. Here in NY it seems every other car is a Sonata.

I also agree with glastonbury.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,627

Took the Fusion out today, made one xmas shopping stop, went the car wash and back in the garage. Looks so good cleaned up, I'm not sure when I'll drive it again.

Explorerx4

Avoid car wash places were there are numerous cars lined up to be washed. This will avoid alot of scratches from the towels the guys are using. Alot of times workers will wipe your cars bottom then use the same towel to go across the top of car leaving those very fine scratch marks..

I always try to go to a good hand wash place were they dry with the mirco fiber towels and replace towels for every new car being dried. Its worth the extra $$ spent.

@brian125 said: Explorerx4

Avoid car wash places were there are numerous cars lined up to be washed. This will avoid alot of scratches from the towels the guys are using. Alot of times workers will wipe your cars bottom then use the same towel to go across the top of car leaving those very fine scratch marks..

I always try to go to a good hand wash place were they dry with the mirco fiber towels and replace towels for every new car being dried. Its worth the extra $$ spent.

I went through the 'touchless' bay, not willing to risk my 19 inch rims in the drive through cloth wash. Mostly concerned about cleaning underneath due to the snow melter put on the roads. It really attacks the rubber seals.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,298

@brian125 said:

I do too. It is called my driveway. I never want anyone else to touch my car (at least the good one).

I do have to remember to tell the Acura dealer not to run it through the wash machine though (pretty sure that is automated, but no idea if touchless).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

@stickguy said: I do have to remember to tell the Acura dealer not to run it through the wash machine though

(pretty sure that is automated, but no idea if touchless).

Here in the Northeast, it is important to clean off the underneath, especially with a somewhat older vehicle. Not easy to do that in your driveway.

I always hand wash it, but the swirl marks seem to be unavoidable using the bucket and sponge method. I have taken my car to a car wash 4 times since I have owned it, just to get an undercarriage wash that I can't do myself. It has only snowed 3 times since 12/28/

Does anyone know how to "reply", or is it now just "leave comment"?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,098
    edited December 2013

@cski said: I always hand wash it, but the swirl marks seem to be unavoidable using the bucket and sponge method. I have taken my car to a car wash 4 times since I have owned it, just to get an undercarriage wash that I can't do myself. It has only snowed 3 times since 12/28/

Does anyone know how to "reply", or is it now just "leave comment"?

You can use the "quote" button right below the text of the post you are reading, next to the "flag." The standard quote give us what you see in this one. If the original post has a quote with it, the whole thing collapses and you have to copy the part you wish to quote.

Or you can just type @imidazol97 and then type your new post. This works best if your response quote will be right below the original post that you're targeting for response. Otherwise the posts are separate and readers wonder which post the response is meant for.

edited December 2013

So much wasted space. Its like a step back in convience to go forward with upgrades> @imidazol97 said:

@imidazol97 said: So no reply button at all?

Now it says you said something that I actually said. This is not good. I would say lol, but...confused and dissapointed at this point. "reply" would solve a LOT of problems.

edited December 2013

@cski said: Now it says you said something that I actually said. This is not good. I would say lol,

I think somehow the process got mixed up.

There's always the method of just copying text to be quoted, putting a ">" in front to indicate quote or making it italics or bold, and then typing response. We just need practice with the system now. And the "edit" time window is 4 hrs. for when I need to change what came out in the post.

• wayne21wayne21 Posts: 227
    edited December 2013

I think they put a lot of work into making something less efficient and more complicated. Or another way of saying it would be they broke something that didn't need to be fixed.

• bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598

I agree. This new format sucks.

they claim to be working on a reply button

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,810

@brian125 said: they claim to be working on a reply button

Well, they say "quote" is the new reply. Without post titles like in the old s/w there is no value in a straight reply button since nobody would know what you are replying to.

I guess you are always supposed to include quoted text to provide context now.

The font choice (Times) is poor and its size in the commenting box is very small and hard to read.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Note my neighbors awesome parking job this afternoon. I made her come down and move it as I could not open the door. There were 80 spaces open...but she has to park within 8 inches of my car. This is why I have a security camera. Condo living at it's finest.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

@cski said: Note my neighbors awesome parking job this afternoon. I made her come down and move it as I could not open the door. There were 80 spaces open...but she has to park within 8 inches of my car. This is why I have a security camera. Condo living at it's finest.

Hey..if she didn't have passengers on that side consider yourself fortunate, cski.. JFTR tho..I sympathize with you having to endure that level of stupidity by even having to share a parking lot with her.. They walk and drive among us...:(

I know you're a mid-sized fan , but ya know...a gullwinged MB, Lambo etc wudda solved that issue today.. :wink:

@crkyolfrt said: I know you're a mid-sized fan , but ya know...a gullwinged MB, Lambo etc wudda solved that issue today.. :wink

Well, the perfect mid size for me, no holds barred, would be the Audi A6. Since I have 3 girls to put through school, I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon.

Merry Christmas everyone!

cski

That is a great car shot of a woman driver being CLUeless...lol

edited December 2013

@cski said: Note my neighbor's awesome parking job this afternoon. I made her come down and move it as I could not open the door. There were 80 spaces open...but she has to park within 8 inches of my car.

I thought of this when I saw this headline: Woman beaten over way she parked car in Lake Mary.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/woman-beaten-over-way-she-parked-car-in-lake-mary/-/1637132/23638432/-/bxl9b6/-/index.html

What I left out on the parking job was that she weighs 300 pounds, so if she has groceries, she drags them down the sides of her car and whatever car she is next to in order to do it in one trip up the stairs. NO ONE parks next to her....and she is clueless as to why.

I was behind a Malibu this morning which had dual exhaust, but had a plain black panel covering the outlets. Why? Why would you bother with a dual system then cover it up? Two exhaust tips cost that much? Men like things like that..so once again GM misses the point.