Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,701
    I might be the only person on Earth who thinks this way, but to me the driving experience--ride, handling, comfort--as well as safety are more important than 0-60 numbers as long as the car's power is adequate.

Absolutely Backy. I drive an '05 TL and it has plenty of power, but is a bit of a pig in handling next to my '98 Audi A4. With over 50 fewer horses, the Audi was a lot more fun to drive. And our current Mazda 5 (micro-minivan!) has much tighter, more responsive steering than my TL. But not nearly as much power. And you know what - the Mazda is more fun to drive.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,482
    You are talking about the last years of that engine. There was a nice power increase in '95 with the series II 3800. Then in '96 the Eaton SC went from 1 L to 1.5 L. 205 HP without and 240 HP, 282 ft-lbs with the SC in '96. Comparable to a Mustang 5.0 at the time.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited March 2010

You see how the painted alloys look against the silver paint and the foglights on and such? I love that on this car! And how the headlights look with the mirrored chrome inside and such. Looks great.

The GTS model shown is only $23,244.

Here's a review I just found that is making my mind up on getting a Kizashi. Check this out. I've been wanting to get a car with a manual transmission for a while and here's my chance to do just that. Check this review out, friends.

Vehicle

2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Review

Haven't had this much fun driving a car since 1978! Great fun with 6 spd.manual transmission, great pick-up and performance...watch out...in 6th gear you can go from 75-100 in a split second without trying to! LOVE MY KIZASHI!

Favorite Features

Interior! Fosgate sound! Smooth ride! Mileage!

Suggested Improvements

None so far

Here's another one I like.

Vehicle

2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS 4dr Sedan AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Review

Iwas waiting for that car for more than a month. First i want to get GTS AWD CVT but they dont make it yet so i put order for SLS AWD CVT. I took delivery on 2/18 and the car had 24 miles on it. Now i can't say to much about acceleration because i have 350miles and still i am brake in a car but driving on high way taking few seconds to get to 80mph. So far i can say car is cool and fun to drive. On snow car feel steady. Interior its nice and it has a lots of room. Car has a lot of features for that price. If you will buy different car with those futures you will pay much more.

Favorite Features

stereo system, moon roof, AWD, paddle shifters, sunroof, push to stat button, auto wipers and lights.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot warning, 6 cd changer, buck up camera should be standard in all trims and standard navigation in SLS will be nice.

Evidently Suzuki tested this car on the Autobahn. They have done a great job. I loved my test drive and longed for the stick shift version of the car during that drive. And afterwards, too! :)

I am thinking of returning to the Pacific Northwest and in Pullman one does have a lot of snow to deal with. Yes, the home of Washington State University, Pullman. We'll see, I have had a phone interview that went very well. I am going to check out Suzuki dealers in the Pacific Northwest in the Pullman region. I know there's one in Spokane. I miss my homeland, which is actually the Seattle area. But this hospital I'm applying for a job at is winning patient satisfaction awards and it is winning 'Top 100 hospitals to work at in the U.S.' awards as well. I'm very interested! And it does snow a lot in Pullman.

They do plow the streets there, but my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, though a great car, might have trouble in the snow, due to it's high-performance, low-profile Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S Pinna tires. Don't get me wrong, they're great tires. But I suspect the tires with the Lancer suspension and racecar type setup might cause me trouble up in Palouse country.

I'm all excited about the Kizashi and the job in Pullman. Aw, schucks. Ya know I'll be keeping you posted. The Mrs. is going to have to be...umm...nurtured along with this for a while. I may want to wear my flak jacket at the appropriate times. :D

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Hi all. I'm considering selling both my 06 Accord and 96 Accord in order to buy one brand new Sonata, preferably stick-shift. Can someone tell me what they think I'd miss by going from my 06 Accord EX to a Sonata GLS with no options?

Also, any guidance on pricing? I wouldn't finance, it would be a cash transaction for me.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    Well, the good news is that even the base GLS has more options than a lot of its competitors' stripped down models.

Since the stick shift Sonatas list at right at or slightly below $20k, you should be able to get one for something in the $18k range.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Sorry for the mildly OT post but iluv, have you considered the forthcoming Outlander Sport? Average of 30MPG, the Lancer's engine (lots of Lancer components, actually), and available AWD to handle the snow. I'd think pricing would be quite competitive against the Suzuki since it slots under the regular Outlander.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    The Sonata is an awesome car, although the GLS with no options is the base car. No power seats, no leather, steel 16'' wheels instead of alloy.. but other than that you still get iPod, Bluetooth, and lots of other options you wouldn't usually get at that price.

Check out http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=443&upfrontPrici- - - ng=Y for pricing, they have some really good deals listed on there. They list the base Sonata for $17,509. Make sure you add Hyundai cable if you plan to use the iPod, the system is buggy with just the regular Apple cable.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    I agree with that. The power ratings, the alleged zero-sixty times, the quarter mile times, the G-ratings, the super high alleged gas mileage ratings and all mean little to me. It's what it drives like when I drive one that will sell me.

Good point, this is why I gave up a 38 MPG Camry Hybrid for the Fusion Sport. I may be getting only around 22 winter 24 summer, but it is fun to drive, comfortable, and handles so much better than a Camry could ever dream of handling. After 16 months behind the wheel of the TCH, and 34K miles, I hated the car. MPG is meaningless if you despise the ride and comfort. This is one big reason I cant drive anything smaller than a mid size car, I don't feel comfortable in them, call it a phobia if you want, but when I had the Prius I felt vulnerable. Too many years driving OTR and seeing what the compacts and sub compacts look like after getting hit by anything other than another compact is scary.
    Since the stick shift Sonatas list at right at or slightly below $20k, you should be able to get one for something in the $18k range.

18k? With a $2500 rebate already sitting on them, I was thinking I could get out the door for $16k if I search hard; fitzmall had some great deals on them.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited March 2010
    18k? With a $2500 rebate already sitting on them, I was thinking I could get out the door for $16k if I search hard; fitzmall had some great deals on them.

That's only on the remaining stock of 2010s. In my area the only offers on the 2011s are a lease special, a $500 owner loyalty offer, and/or special financing.
    Right; I'm after a leftover 2010 Sonata for a rock-bottom price. :)
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    Your first post referenced a "brand new" Sonata. Many of us interpreted this to mean you meant the 2011.
    I do mean brand-new, but I referenced 2010 in the subject line.

Either way, all responses are welcome and appreciated. I'm wondering because the pics aren't clear; do GLS models have audio controls on the wheel?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    edited March 2010
    according to the info posted on Hyundai News, yes they do, at least on models with PEP. Can't say for sure on the very base GLS, though. Still looking.

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2010_Models/Sonata/Press_Release.asp

;)

Just found for sure, optional on the GLS, standard on other versions.

http://hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2010_Models/Sonata/Features.asp
    That's very useful, thank you for digging that up.

I'm not sure I can give up my audio controls on the steering wheel. I'm already struggling with the thought of not having a moonroof. Might have to try and find a PEP model.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited March 2010
    Why would you think he would want a SUV/CUV? Just curious.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    You'll have to share why you are getting rid of the 06 Accord at some point, grad. :(
    Well, I like my '06 and don't really seek to unload it for any other reason than I can get a brand new car right now, including selling my '96, with little out-of-pocket cost. The '06 has maintained its value quite well. The warranty is up soon (powertrain, that is) and the b2b is long-gone. I can see the nickels and the dimes starting soon. In 58k miles I've had

CD Changer Replaced
    Rear-View Mirror Replaced
    Gas-Flap Broken
    A rattling rear strut tower that is driving me nuts

Now, my horn is broken. I'm just not confident that this will be nearly as solid as my '96 has been, and feel like it might be a fairly prudent move to get a leftover 2010 Sonata, while they are bargain-basement.

A big part of me really craves a stick-shift.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    You will notice a distinct difference in ride. The '06 Accord has a much firmer ride than the 2010 Sonata GLS, with more precise handling. If you love how your Accord rides and handles, you may not like how the Sonata rides and handles. It is smoother and quieter, but doesn't have as precise handling.

Lots of good stuff on the Sonata though--the std ESC (which your Accord doesn't have unless it's a V6), very nice dash, more interior room, bigger trunk.
    Things I forsee with the Sonata:

1.) No audio controls on steering wheel, maybe a deal-breaker. Part of my motivation for car shopping is to move to a stick-shift. Finding a Sonata with a stick seems impossible enough, but one with PEP and stick just isn't happening. Its sad, because if I'm shifting gears, it'd be nice to be able to have one hand on the wheel that could adjust audio functions as well.

2.) Front-seat room must be at least as good as my Accord. My girlfriend has the latest-gen Santa-Fe and I feel cramped in it from head-to-toe. My Accord is fine if not ideal. I'm 6'5".

3.) I know the Sonata rides better and handles softer, but in reality, all of these cars are within a narrow margin. I do forsee missing little details that my up-level Accord offers, and for that reason I may not even make a move. Can't hurt to look though.

Question: does anybody know what RPM the stick-shift turns on the interstate? I'm hoping nothing about 2,200 or so at 60 MPH. My 5-speed auto Accord turns 2,000 RPM at 60 MPH.